Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Suitable Music
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  22:31:34  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

I was wondering what sort of music people liked to listen to while 'exploring the realms' - I don't just mean in adventures, I also mean while reading the books etc...it doesn't even have to be music you would expect to hear actually played in the Realms by bards, just more what you personally find suits the mood...

As for myself, I quite like the strains of Beethoven, Mozart, and Wagner (Sad I know...), and also find the soundtracks from films like 'Gladiator', and 'Lord of the Rings' to be good as well...

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)

Edited by - Alaundo on 10 Apr 2003 16:30:56

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  22:41:48  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<Runs toward Alexis, gives him one parchement, and another>

Run before Alaundo catches you
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  12:38:34  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
excerpt from Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide:

Beethoven - Symphonies 2,5,7 & 9
Berlioz - Symphony Fantastique
Bruckner - Symphony 6
Haydn - London Symphonies (12)
Hoist - The Planets Symphony
Mendelssohn - #4 Night on Bald
Mussorgsky - Mountain
Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazada, William Tell Overture
Rossini - 1812 Overture, Symphony 6
Tchaikovsky - Pathetique, Ring Cycle
Wagner - Lohengrin

I do not believe these were mentioned in the previous threads.

I know that some of the above titles may be wrong or misplaced but in the book it is written in a very annoying way.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  13:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually just leave icewind dale (the PC game) playing. The music in that game is incredible. How i wish there was a soundtrack.

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  13:07:24  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I normally use the music from Baldur's Gate I & II. I have extracted it using a dos-based program which was originally made for converting the music of Fallout I & II into .wav format (normally it is in .acm) but it works with all the Infinity Engine games as well (BGI&II, IWDI&II and PS:T).

Let me know if you want it.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  14:04:18  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, if you could send it to me that would be great. Email me at spinethief@yahoo.com (so not to anger Alaundo )

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  15:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whatever some one brings, any type but one of our favorites is Flogging Molly
I hang with a strange crowd.

www.floggingmolly.com

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  16:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, like our number-two scibe has already pointed out, there are two other threads . . . shouldn't you be posting to one of those?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  16:36:18  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanx Bookwyrm, at least someone listen to me.

<zemd looks at the other scribes>
When a scroll is old doesn't mean now one won't read it anymore!

Edited by - zemd on 01 Apr 2003 20:50:53
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  17:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy to be of service. Now all you others get with it!

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2003 :  17:44:01  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it's not really appropriate, but I like to have some rock music on in the background turned down low. Linkin Park or Foo Fighters would be my personal choice.

Rachmaninov's piano concerto's are good aswell, as are symphonies from Tchaikovsky, and Prokofiev. Holzt's 'Planets Suite' is always a good choice, as well as stuff by John Williams and Stephen Oliver.

TDM

- TDM (Candlekeep's most popular, experienced and handsome member)
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2003 :  21:14:42  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In one game I ran, the pc's spent quite a bit of time in a bar that featured a dwarven bard with accompaniment. I put together a mix tape of Tom Waits and it really worked well.

The key is setting the music at the correct level where you are able to hear it, without it drowning out game play.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2003 :  20:52:39  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last time, i put Midnight Syndicate... i was nearly as tensed as my players!
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2003 :  22:00:50  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mixing your own music! That's dedication I haven't seen in a while!

TDM

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2003 :  04:02:10  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
heh, I didn't want to include any that had anachronistic references. I stuck with songs of love lost, broken dreams, and dealing with that bad part of the night/morning when you start to sober up and stagger home to do it all over again.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  04:32:27  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find I LOVE to listen to Loreena McKennit, and Clannad. Also Capercaille, Hadrian's wall. I listen to Celtic Rock on a regular basis, and it really does have a REALMS feel.

Also during battles you CANNOT BEAT, the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack, especially track one the ANVIL OF CROM. AWESOME!

And what anti-paladin does not march into the room with the IMPERIAL MARCH played in the background.

I also use LED ZEPPELIN alot, they have the correct feel for me as well. They are about the only rock music I can use as campaign soundtracks.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  16:54:12  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good man! I am a big Led Zeppelin fan!

Now you come to mention it, they would be good for D&D backing. Esp. songs like 'Battle for Evermore' and 'Achilles Last Stand' which are, although crappy, very appropriate.

TDM

Go to Top of Page

Edial
Acolyte

Romania
16 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  07:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Edial's Homepage Send Edial a Private Message  Reply with Quote
midnight syndicate - [http://www.midnighsyndicate.com]
empyrium - [http://www.empyrium.de]
summoning (after 'dol guldur') -- website doesn`t exist anymore - [http://www.summoning.info]
inon zur (fallout 2, throne of bhaal, icewind dale 2 soundtracks) - [http://www.inonzur.com]
gothica - [http://www.geocities.com/gothicahomepage]
dead can dance - [http://www.deadcandance.com]
lacrimosa - [http://www.lacrimosa.de]
dargaard - [http://www.dargaard.com]
red delicious (heroes of might and magic 4 soundtrack) - [http://www.red-delicious.com]
betray my secrets - [http://www.darkseed.com]
shiva in exile - [http://www.darkseed.com]
ice ages - [http://www.iceages.info]
mortiis - [http://www.mortiis.com]
vangelis - [http://www.vangelis.com]
evergrey - [http://www.evergrey.net]

Edial Lyonson, proud Silverstar of Selune.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  07:54:52  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Houa Artalis, i think that'll greatly improve the choices of music for my games
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  09:18:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly an impressive list! But that's not Artalis -- it's a newbie, Edial. He just bears an uncanny resemblance to him.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  10:06:06  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Certainly an impressive list! But that's not Artalis -- it's a newbie, Edial. He just bears an uncanny resemblance to him.

Whoah! Well he fooled me too, I also thought it was Artalis Welcome Edial, thanks for the info!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  19:05:59  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it's you i thank Edial
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  22:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Whoah! Well he fooled me too, I also thought it was Artalis

Well, I didn't look at his name at first. It was the ending signature that caught my eye. I notice those more than names, mostly because the names are off on the side. Signatures are right along the line of text.

Go to Top of Page

Avaly
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  23:27:00  Show Profile  Visit Avaly's Homepage Send Avaly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I might be one of few people who can't have anything else going on in the background while reading. I have been that way for a long time. I usually read in bed with one lamp on and a few pillows to prop me up. I like to be engrossed in the story I am reading and often get lost in it. It might be the fact that I also have dyslexia and need to concentrate while reading. Yes, I am an English teacher and I have a learning disability. I tell my kids if I can do it and teach then they can do it as well. NO excuses.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  06:23:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've a learning disability as well, Avaly. Clinical, "true" ADD. Not the misdiagnoses that are so common ("Oh, your child has too much youthful energy, we're putting her on Ritalin.") and caused by chemical imbalance, not psycology.

Unfortunately, they don't have anything for me to take for anything more than the mood swings (I can give a pregnant lady a run for her money on a bad day) since the Ritalin and equivients give me bad reactions.

So mystery solved, for those who wanted to know. That's the reason the Bookwyrm is so flighty.

Oo, pretty colors . . . .

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  12:11:28  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avaly

Actually, I might be one of few people who can't have anything else going on in the background while reading. I have been that way for a long time. I usually read in bed with one lamp on and a few pillows to prop me up. I like to be engrossed in the story I am reading and often get lost in it. It might be the fact that I also have dyslexia and need to concentrate while reading. Yes, I am an English teacher and I have a learning disability. I tell my kids if I can do it and teach then they can do it as well. NO excuses.

I've a learnig disability for no-D&D things... I know more of FR geography than my own country!
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  22:00:53  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avaly

It might be the fact that I also have dyslexia and need to concentrate while reading. Yes, I am an English teacher and I have a learning disability. I tell my kids if I can do it and teach then they can do it as well. NO excuses.

Good for you, Avaly. Both my sons (now 17 and 20) are dyslexic and have done much to overcome the disability despite having no assistance from schools and colleges. My eldest has just started a degree in environmental science and has refused any help the university has offered. He says he's gone this far without help and isn't going to accept it now.

[My apologies, a bit off topic]
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  06:22:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kahonen, as one who is in fact using Disabilities support in college, I find your son to be impressive and courageous, since most people with dyslexia have it worse off than those with ADD or ADHD. And you can tell him I said so.

And Zemd -- don't worry, I also know more of the Realms than I do of your country.

-----

Now, topic, topic . . . what was this topic? Oh, music. Okay, well, I guess I'll help move this back on track, since I think I see Alaundo over there glowering at us . . . .

I generally listen to a lot of things while reading, though sometimes I don't listen to much at all. I'm pretty eclectic (ADD again -- see, it's topical!) in most things, and so music is only one of them. However, I occasionally go looking for music to suit something in particular.

For the Forgotten Realms and fantasy, I'd tend more towards intrumentals and vocals, things with little or no lyrics. An exception to that would be lyrics in different languages -- Gaelic is a wonderful choice for that. Celtic music is a favorite of mine. I usually tend towards Irish Celic, though I'm not adverse to other regions, including the mainland. Some favorites are the CDs:

Riverdance -- I listened to this the whole way through the Menzoberranzan game; to this day, the stains of Caonineadh cú Chulainn and Shivna both evoke scenes from the Dwarven levels, while Andalucia makes me think of the areas around Menzoberranzan itself.

Celtic Journey -- Especially Magwain's Tearful Promise (though it's really too short) and Lady of the Lake.

Celtic Circles -- Especially O'er the Muir (interesting hoofbeats at the start and a male speaking in Gaelic); Love by Lough Feeagh; Óró ' Sé Do Bheatha Bhaile; and Bvachaill Ón Éirne (the last two being sung in Gaelic). Voices in this are all male.

Celtic Pride -- by the same guy who did most of the Riverdance music. Lots of pro-Irish songs; some anti-English, but all traditional ones. Really should have been called Irish Pride.

Celtic Mystique -- All lyrical songs, I believe, and all with women. Wonderful music, a mix of Scottish and Irish. My favorites are MacLeon of Glencoe (Glencoe was the site of a very bloody battle), a lament of familial and clan loss; Circle of Stone, a song about Stonehenge; Ancient Souls, about a girl who searches through many lives to find her love, the "other part of her soul" (very emotional); and a great traditional song, Homes of Donegal, which unfortunately is an abridged version.

Celtic Nights -- a collection of music influenced by Irish nights. An old favorite of mine; all done by one group, and mostly sung in Gaelic. If you see it, buy it. It's wonderful.

Christmas Celtic -- This might sound odd. It's not. This collection of Christmas songs has a unique flavor, and I play it at any time of the year. Their adaptation of We Three Kings is absolutely spectacular. I actually wrote a dance choreography to that one. Never tested it, though.

I don't stick with just CDs with "Celtic" in the title, though; other great ones are:

Any Star Wars CD, though I often skip over some tracks that are more associated with science fiction, such as the title and ending sequences.

The Stargate soundtrack, the peak of composer David Arnold's entire career; he never again matched this work. Say what you want about the movie, this music is awsome.

Native Spirit, a collection of songs influenced by Native American music, especially Navajo. Wonderful on summer days, or for making you think of them. Or maybe that's just me.

Call of the Dolphin -- all done by one guy on a synth board. Even the title song is done by him; he did wonderful mixing of his voice to overlap the lyrics, so he's even doing his own backup singing.

Dance of the Dolphin -- this one belongs to my sister, actually; I have to find my own sometime. There's one in there (she won't let me look at it, but I know it has "Nemo" in the title) that I also wrote choreography to. (It was just a simple one -- I made it with the idea of child ballet students in mind.)

Okay, those are all the reading-music CDs I've used in the past. Probably more information than Alexis was looking for.

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  14:38:06  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
from Zemd
quote:
I've a learnig disability for no-D&D things... I know more of FR geography than my own country!

Yep, and the worst is that its true...

You should learn more about real history, zemd, its full of ideas, some i used before. You might find the answer of the last enigma i gave u... Interesting, isn't it?

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  18:01:57  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I said Geography, i love History.
But thanx for the tip
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  21:57:53  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, I am a big Celtic music and Celtic Rock enthusiast!

Some others you may want to try is the most ENCHANTING Loreena McKennit! She did the "Mummer's Dance" song. Her albums are:

Elemental
Parallel Dreams
The Mask and The Mirror
The Visit (INCREDIBLE FOR FORGOTTEN REALMS)
And the Book of secrets

Other Music I play in the background is:
Braveheart
Gladiator
ALL STAR WARS
Even Superman

Much of it depends on the mood, but I HIGHLY recommend Loreena McKennit. SHe is a musical Genius!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000