Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Death Descriptor
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  07:16:31  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Today one of my player had his cleric of Torm cast destruction of a 12-headed pyrohydra and utterly destroyed it.

Now, I know a lawful good cleric can't cast spells with the chaos or evil descriptor, but what about the death descriptor? Destruction is a death spell and for some reasons I seem to remember something about that but cannnot locate, in the rules, anything saying casting a death spell is an evil act.

Any idea where I could have read that death descriptor is not good for good-aligned casters? (no pun intended! :P)

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  07:46:09  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't think of any. I think there is some overlap in (Evil) and (Death) spells, but I don't think that death is automatically a non-good spell, and the way 3.5 is set up, it should have the (Evil) descriptor if its not suppose to be used by a good aligned divine caster.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  13:20:28  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I can't think of any. I think there is some overlap in (Evil) and (Death) spells, but I don't think that death is automatically a non-good spell, and the way 3.5 is set up, it should have the (Evil) descriptor if its not suppose to be used by a good aligned divine caster.

That's what I recall as well. However, I had a house rule restricting clerics to cast spells opposed to their gods domains. So a Claric of Lathander was not permitted to cast [Death]-Spells as his god has a domain opposing death - Renewal. Likewise, clerics of Moradin were not allowed to cast spells with the [Air]-discriptor as that was opposing their gods domain of Earth. You get the meaning? Now, be that as it may, I doubt that you have heard of this particular house rule of mine.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 23 Jan 2008 13:28:28
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  19:46:55  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's my "judgement" also -- Death is not one of the 'Alignment' descriptors, and hence it's not denied to Lawful or Good characters.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  20:06:10  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did a little exploring, Death Domain is not Evil Domain, however the Death Domain spells include spells that have the Evil descripter (create undead for example), however others clearly are not in of themself an Evil spell.

Good characters cause death often, fireball, vopal blade head remval and so on. Causing death is not an Evil act in and of itself, reason for causing death might be evil or good.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  23:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Good characters cause death often, fireball, vopal blade head remval and so on. Causing death is not an Evil act in and of itself, reason for causing death might be evil or good.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  01:06:29  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool! then I have no reasons to prevent him to cast Destruction on his foes! Thank you dear Scribes!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  06:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the other hand, Necromantic spells with the "Death" descriptor would probably fall under the heading of "Black Necromancy" (viz. The Complete Book of Necromancers), and they sure as the Nine Hells would be grounds for a check in Ravenloft, so I would suggest mixing it up a little: have pragmatic Good deities allow such spells, and rigidly Good deities (Tyr, Torm, Helm, Lathander, etc.) force a cleric to atone (or atone!) for using such a spell.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  09:04:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

spells, and rigidly Good deities (Tyr, Torm, Helm, Lathander, etc.) force a cleric to atone (or atone!) for using such a spell.

Or just let the spell not work next time they cast it? that would be more fitting if you want them to atone - so they are in the middle of combat the spell doesn't work at all, they try to cast another spell and that too is gone, all they see is the Destruction of the Hydra as a mental image, so hopefully they will realise that their God does not approve of this spell being cast 'frivilously'. However, that is not to say that for a very good reason they could not cast it, but it has to be given to them by their God

metagame, party's castle/temple is being assaulted by 500 Zhent troops backed up by Wizards and Priests who are summoning a devil to kill them all, player character priest says, "Torm please grant me the power to smite my enemies" and a destruction spell arrives as a prayer in the priests head.

Just another way of controlling spells/paryers that you think they should not generally cast given characters aligments and faith.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  09:33:05  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having mulled over the whole thing for a week now, I no longer see a shred of a problem with the Tormite cleric smiting his foes with powerful death spells. As long as the evil descriptor is not included, fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Now, using it on monsters and evil foes is what I have in mind: if the same thing is done to a helpless or surrendering foe, that's another thing, and should be dealt exactly the same way one would deal with a paladin questioning a bound prisoner with a sharp dagger under the prisoner's throat... (i.e. torture, killing of innocents, etc.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000