Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Suitable Music
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  22:58:22  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Kahonen, as one who is in fact using Disabilities support in college, I find your son to be impressive and courageous, since most people with dyslexia have it worse off than those with ADD or ADHD. And you can tell him I said so.

Thanks for that, Bookwyrm. I'll pass it on. The thing that made the difference for him was finding out that Einstein was dyslexic
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  14:50:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, my favorite part about Einstein is that he said he was horrible in math -- something that I have a lot of trouble with. And the stuff I'm interested in is the same stuff he was. Like Einstein, I'm great with visualizations, but when it comes to the mathematical discriptions of the same thing, I can't tell ë from è.

-----
EDIT:
That was supposed to be "lambda" and "epsilon" -- stupid forum codes . . . .
-----

Mounblade, I had forgotten about Loreena McKennit. I don't have any of her things, but I've been meaning to get some . . . my brother has the Mummer's Dance album. (I teased him about it, because he had said he hated Cetlic-type music. )

There are lots of other music types that I like that I didn't list, because I don't use them for background music. That just means I don't have them yet . . . like with many things, I've been "meaning to get" a lot of them. Like, for instance, Lord of the Rings, Wagner, Enya, Loreena McKennit . . . .

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 12 Apr 2003 14:51:51
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  17:26:56  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Einstein was indeed dyslexic, but in reality he was not that bad in math. He was bad in Arithmetic. Actually among scientists there is an explanation why this rumour of Einstein's poor math skills are rampant.

Scenario: A grad student is proposing his data to Einstein. ANY grad student would be nervous presenting Data to Einstein. SO the grad student is stammering and going through it fast. Einstein senses this, and tells the student, "Do you mind slowing down a bit I am a bit slow on the math..." or somthing to that effect to calm him down. Well then this grad student tells everyone the story, and so the rumour grows.

It is just a fact, in order to derive the equations necessary for Relativity, (and other theories) the man can not be bad in math. Possibly he might make mistakes like 5+5=11. But there are calculators to take care of that.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  17:59:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also the story of how he failed high school math, but most people forget that he had had to take in in French. He didn't read French.

And I never said he couldn't do math, nor that I couldn't. Only that he wasn't as good as the nitty-gritty bits of it as he was with the big picture.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  16:01:21  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Einstein was good, all right, but who cares how much he was?
And dyslexic or not, whats the matter between him and the music, does someone tell me that?

Im sure u'll write he liked music and everything...

Then, im also in love of celtic music, i will write u the titles of all the CDs i have, but later. [go back to work]
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  16:04:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so we get off-topic! So sue us! Like that's never happened to you, huh?

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  23:12:07  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know but when I hear the Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin, I just imagine a HUGE BARBARIAN HORDE CHARGING!!!!!

Einstein was good, all right, but who cares how much he was?
And dyslexic or not, whats the matter between him and the music, does someone tell me that?

Im sure u'll write he liked music and everything...

Then, im also in love of celtic music, i will write u the titles of all the CDs i have, but later. [go back to work]

On the note of sounding stupid, Elinel you are the only person I can say that has a cute accent without even hearing your voice!!!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 14 Apr 2003 23:16:58
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  00:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok most of the music which I use myself has already been mentioned...but just a few more -

Iron Maiden, Faure's and Mozart's Requiems, Beethoven, Bach, Wagner, Theme Music to Batman (the Gothic and less Superhero-sounding parts), even some Gilbert & Sullivan for a really bouncy mood. I guess it really depends on the effect which you are trying to create - I've never used music in my games - and only occasionally use it when reading. Most of the time it is for helping me to fit a good description to a scene in my writing or whilst surfing sites like this one.

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  08:40:05  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
On the note of sounding stupid, Elinel you are the only person I can say that has a cute accent without even hearing your voice!!!

Thanks,
i know i could almost sing by myself during the game sessions... (just before then end, when the archdevil comes and kills the players)

I'd know what exactly is the difference between mine and very other foreigner accent. I do not understand that anyway.

for the charge, u should try rhapsody or stratovarius, good also.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  10:26:40  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eilinel

quote:

Thanks,
i know i could almost sing by myself during the game sessions... (just before then end, when the archdevil comes and kills the players)

Eilinel singing...
well IC: sure after all she's a follower of Liira!
RL: ARRRRRGHHHHH run away!
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  12:27:07  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Eilinel singing...

did i ask anything ? He said that I have a cute voice, not u...
May Liira bane u.
Tsss
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  12:35:56  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eilinel

quote:
Eilinel singing...

did i ask anything ? He said that I have a cute voice, not u...
May Liira bane u.
Tsss

And I say that EILINEL has a cute voice? (IC= In character / RL=real life)
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  12:50:46  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May Mystra, Azuth and every god u like bane u, little snake

DU!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  03:13:44  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote

May Mystra, Azuth and every god u like bane u, little snake

Does this mean Mystra and Azuth will change you into.... BANE!!!!!??

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  09:26:52  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be happy finally, Bane is a cool guy, isn't he?
A bit too serious however

in Beshaba, why not...
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2003 :  02:00:04  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my campaign right now, EVERY evil church is sweating due to the re-emergence of BANE. The way I have it Cyric is SHAKING in his knickers, hoping Bane does not try to reclaim MORE of his portfolio.

Remember BANE only bowed to one knee before AO. I generally don't play evil characters, but if I do they will certainly follow bane. He has a REAL power about him. It seems he KNOWS if he could unite the forces of evil, the world would be his. He is a sinister and powerful deity.

I have an NPC who is an inquisitor of sorts who just hunts Cyricists. If he had his choice of fighting good or fighting cyric he would fight cyric. He has teamed up with good characters just to beat Cyric heirophants.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2003 :  21:33:35  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I almost forgot!

Some of the best rock music to use in Roleplaying is Blind Guardian. They are an INCREDIBLE band from Germany. They sing about such things as LOTR, ELRIC, and other things from scifi. THey have miscellaneous other songs as well. one of the best is SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND. One of their most incredible albums is Nightfall on Middle-earth. It is basically an entire album singing songs about the battles before the third age.

GOOD STUFF! Check them out!

Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  21:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally Posted by Mournblade
I almost forgot!

Some of the best rock music to use in Roleplaying is Blind Guardian. They are an INCREDIBLE band from Germany. They sing about such things as LOTR, ELRIC, and other things from scifi. THey have miscellaneous other songs as well. one of the best is SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND. One of their most incredible albums is Nightfall on Middle-earth. It is basically an entire album singing songs about the battles before the third age.

GOOD STUFF! Check them out!

Haha! Mournblade, the king of cheesy Power Metal! Next he will be saying he plays Man-o-War, or Hammerfall!

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

calissandra
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  06:50:44  Show Profile  Visit calissandra's Homepage Send calissandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Last time, i put Midnight Syndicate... i was nearly as tensed as my players!

I wholeheartedly agree! I loooove Midnight Syndicate...especially for dungeon crawls. :-D
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  09:19:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by calissandra

quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Last time, i put Midnight Syndicate... i was nearly as tensed as my players!

I wholeheartedly agree! I loooove Midnight Syndicate...especially for dungeon crawls. :-D

I picked up the Dungeons & Dragons CD by Midnight Syndicate - quite enjoy it and it intrigued me to get more of their work - any recommendations on their other CD's?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  09:17:08  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I've got you all beat. The PCs went spying on the Tuigan Horde during a funeral of one of their leaders, and I played a CD of Mongolian throat singing, something which has to be heard to be believed!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000