Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 One book besides the Campaign Setting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  00:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My 3rd edition Forgotten Realms material is lacking, mostly due to the lack of money. I just have the 3.0 Campaign Setting, and the rest I have to convert from 2nd Edition AD&D.

However, I just got a gift certificate at Amazon.com that will allow me to purchase another FR 3.0-3.5 book. So my question here is. Which one do you think I should buy?

I am totally out of date with the newest books, and only know some others by name (Lost Empires, Lords of Darkness, etc). I generally just use the Campaign Setting as a guide and insert my own adventures into FR from my 2nd edition material. But if I am going to buy a new book, it might as well be a Forgotten Realms one eh?

Advice and links to other threads like this, as well as scorn for not finding them with the search feature, are all welcome.

-MT

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  01:37:06  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It really depends on what your campaign focuses on. I'm heavily into time travel and the legacies of ancient empires, so I'd probably go with Lost Empires of Faerun. Underdark would be good for anything subterranean, obviously. Regional sourcebooks are also good, but if you have 2e stuff, they you can take that base and extrapolate as needed, so I'd put things like Shining South or Unapproachable East lower.

Serpent Kingdoms offers a unique angle to throw at your players, and a lot of information that's new, but if you're not into snakes, nagas, and yuan-ti, then skip it.

That's my base opinion, considering that you only have one book. It'd be easier if you gave your general interests/campaign direction, so I'll check in again later and hope to get more focused.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  01:46:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off hand I would say either Lost Empires of Faerun or Power of Faerun, but again, that depends on of focus of your campaign. Lost of general Realmslore in both books, not specific bits one way or another.
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  02:04:07  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are the books more lore-ish? Or are they just crammed with new feats and stat blocks?

I do not have a specific campaign at the moment because I stopped DMing, having to come home for the summer. I guess am looking for a good one in general. One that I could pretty much take into any campaign and have some extra content to splash in and flavor the game up.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 16 Jun 2006 02:06:12
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  02:07:29  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of Faerun. I have all of the current realms sourcebooks (as well as most 2E versions), and find this one to be very useful. So, if I had to choose just one, this would be it.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  02:15:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Empires of Faerun has a few prestige classes, spells, and feats in it, as well as a bunch of Realmsian monsters, but the PrCs actually have some interesting organizations attatched to them, from my point of view. I especially like the Cultists of the Shattered Peak and the Olin Gisir.
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  02:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can tell this is going to be a tough choice. I've been reading the descriptions of the books on Amazon.com and right now it's between Races of Faerun and Lost Empires. Percentage roll anyone?

Scererar I envy you :). Maybe one day I can have all the sourcebooks too. That might have to wait until after college however.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  02:20:24  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Empires of Faerun, Power of Faerun, and Races of Faerun are all heavily lore-centered, with feats/spells/PrC's being in the minority. LEoF deals with things ancient and fallen, PoF power groups and adapting them to PC use (including nobility, clergy, military, and merchants), and RoF are all of the various humans and demihumans. Any of them would be good, again depending on what you want to do. Another heavily lore-centric book is Underdark, but it's even more specific.

For maximum useage, I'd probably go with either PoF or RoF, since that old elven ruin takes time to get to, but everyone needs merchants. PoF would be my choice, but that might be because I haven't read RoF much, and don't know it well. Others could advise you better.

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  02:25:34  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, that's great advice. I am looking for general use because I do not currently have a D&D Campaign. I haven't explored the Underdark very much in my days, and my 2nd edition material on it is lacking. So that would be a good candidate as well, and there are literally just tons of holes to the Underdark all around Faerun.

Tough choice, tough choice. But all this advice is great, I don't want to waste this chance to get another FR sourcebook!

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  03:11:35  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

I can tell this is going to be a tough choice. I've been reading the descriptions of the books on Amazon.com and right now it's between Races of Faerun and Lost Empires. Percentage roll anyone?

Scererar I envy you :). Maybe one day I can have all the sourcebooks too. That might have to wait until after college however.

if you wait until after college, you then will have to start deciding between shoes for the kids, or new realmslore. tough choices sometimes And only kidding, kids first. No worries you will have entirely too much realmslore ( if that is even possible to say), on your hands after a while, and start to wonder where to put it all.

Additionally. LEOF is good for just that LEOF. Races of Faerun, is an all around the realms kind of sourcebook. both are great my friend, have fun choosing.

Edited by - scererar on 16 Jun 2006 03:16:12
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  03:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can find it, Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark is entirely lore and contains much of what is in Underdark, though it isn't a complete overlap. If you don't have anything, it's probably possible to get the Guide either for free or for about $5 online (Sage? Wooly? Anyone have the link?), which will free up money for something else. Underdark is worth picking up later, since you're playing 3e (I don't, though I keep up with the new lore/crunch) and there's 3e-specific things in there that aren't in the Guide, but if you can get the Guide cheap, do it, and get something else with the larger amoung of cash.

Glad this is helping.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  03:42:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

If you don't have anything, it's probably possible to get the Guide either for free or for about $5 online (Sage? Wooly? Anyone have the link?),

Rpgnow.com or paizo's web store, so yes, gotta pay the 5 bucks for it. Hard copies, ebay, nobleknight.com, dragonstrove. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  04:40:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ironically, when I was younger, my friends and I had time to play or run campaigns in Forgotten Realms, DragonLance, Greyhawk, and Ravenloft, and throw in Marvel Super Heroes, Top Secret, Battletech/Mechwarrior, and Star Frontiers from time to time, but we always lamented how we had to pick and choose what books/modules/boxed sets to buy.

Now, I have a the ability to keep up with nearly every Realms release and most of the D&D core ones, but my friends and I count ourselves lucky if we can maintain a weekly game for three to four hours on a tuesday night. Ah, for those days of playing three times a week with 8 hour marathon sessions on saturday nights.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  04:51:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you can find it, Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark is entirely lore and contains much of what is in Underdark, though it isn't a complete overlap. If you don't have anything, it's probably possible to get the Guide either for free or for about $5 online (Sage? Wooly? Anyone have the link?), which will free up money for something else. Underdark is worth picking up later, since you're playing 3e (I don't, though I keep up with the new lore/crunch) and there's 3e-specific things in there that aren't in the Guide, but if you can get the Guide cheap, do it, and get something else with the larger amoung of cash.

Glad this is helping.

Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark is, unfortunately, not one of the freebies available on the Wizards downloads page. However, there is a lot of other good Realmslore there that can be had for free.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Jun 2006 04:52:36
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  05:00:54  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Don't know how much your gift certificate is - but heres a thought:

Check to see the prices of used copies of some of these books. You might be able to get more than one if you don't mind buying used.

In any case, my book opinions:

Power of Faerun: Great book - and I would recomend it - BUT - not necessarilly as your second book. I personally found the book - well - somewhat 'a lot' to digest. It would depend what type of game you envision yourself running. POF would be great for a heavy-intrigue style game, less so for one centered more on combat and action. There are probably better choices for your second book.

Races of Faerun: Great book - as mentioned by others. Very utilitarian.

Silver Marches, City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Underdark: Good books - but centered on one area - great if you want to use that area - not so good if you are not going to be playing there.

Serpent Kingdoms, Lost Empires of Faerun: Again, great books. SK is probably a little better than LEoF for your use - as LEoF is just that - lost empires - and may be a bit more work to work into an existing (or forthcoming) game.

Magic of Faerun, Lords of Darkness, Champions of Valor/Ruin: Still more great books - but very specialized - and may be of limited value to enhancing a game based solely on the FRCS.

Faiths & Pantheons: Great book. Fairly useful - if you like details on deities. Also - if you have the (some say superior) 2ed deity books - this would be redundant - and not necessary.

The only other FR 3/3.5 book (besides module books) I think is Players Guide to Faerun. Decent book - but IMHO - not as useful as Races of Faerun.

I hope thats not more information than you need! :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  05:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Glad this is helping.

Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark is, unfortunately, not one of the freebies available on the Wizards downloads page. However, there is a lot of other good Realmslore there that can be had for free.

That's a lot of lore o.O. I see they have some of Volo's guides. He always was a querky fellow.

My certificate is for like, 30 dollars. I am pretty sure that's just enough for one of the new sourcebooks. But I'll try shopping around on amazon and see if I can any of them used. Oh, and I do have the old Faiths and Pantheons. So the 3E one is basically the same?

So far, I'm leaning towards Races of Faerun. Then if I ever can buy another one, Lost Empires. This is really great advice you all are giving, thanks.

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 16 Jun 2006 05:31:57
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  06:19:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, and I do have the old Faiths and Pantheons. So the 3E one is basically the same?
You mean Faiths & Avatars or Powers & Pantheons?

The 3e deity book isn't the same... not by a long shot. The 2e FR BIG DEITY THREE is by far the better resource for all-thing-deity in the FR setting. The trilogy consists of the two I linked to above, and Demihuman Deities. The 3e F&P tome merely updates the deity stats, with basic lore to supplement them. Though the temple write-ups were a nice touch.

To the BIG THREE... I usually add two other 2e tomes -- On Hallowed Ground and Monster Mythology. You'll find these as PDFs at paizo.com as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  07:16:46  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops, I meant Powers and Pantheons. That's the one I have. I don't have the others, however.

So, the new Faiths and Pantheons might be a good thing to get? I didn't realize they made so many new sourcebooks for 3rd edition.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  08:12:06  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have not converted to the 3ed either and I would say that to me the two most useful lore books are Lost Empires of Faerun and Serpent kingdoms. Races of Faerun is to much rules for my taste and though an interesting read My copy has not seen much use lately.

I have heard much praise for Powers of Faerun , but I haven't got the book myself yet, so I cant say much about it.

Now, I don't know which 2ed. books you own, If you have an extensive collection Lost Empires will have much of the same lore that you can find in older books, but more systemized and practical for use.

The Serpent kingdoms is probably the 3ed book that gives you the most new information not seen in other ed. But this book is very theme specific, and if serpent folks are something you don't see yourself using in an campaign maybe you should pass it over. On the plus side, besides serpent lore; this book details a few lands around the Chultan peninsula we have seen very little of before. The lack of maps irritates some people, but if you own the old Forgotten Realms Atlas this is not a problem.

So If you want a history book, get Lost Empires of Faerun, if you want a book that details the workings of society (I think), get Powers of Faerun, and if you want to explore a different side of faerun with snakes and hidden threats as well as geographical information, get Serpent Kingdoms
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  09:43:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, the new Faiths and Pantheons might be a good thing to get?
If you're looking for 3e stat blocks for the deities, yes. Not for the lore however. I'd stick to the 2e sourcebooks I mentioned above.

quote:
I didn't realize they made so many new sourcebooks for 3rd edition.
You can check on the complete listing of FR products (including those released in 3e) here at Candlekeep:- http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products.htm

The listing should also help you to decide which tomes would suit your interests in the Realms... the best.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jun 2006 09:44:41
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  13:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of Faerûn or Lost Empires of Faerûn would be my advice - lots of good lore and seem to fit the idea of a 'second book' to me.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  16:31:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mazrim, I also suggest you take a look at this scroll:- http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7079

It could potentially provide you with another locale with which to purchase 3e/3.5e FR sources -- in e-book format.

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  17:43:10  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you, like me, focus on utility at the gaming table, nothing beats Lords of Darkness (or hopefully Mysteries of the Moonsea). Sample lairs, sample bad-guys and info on evil organizations that can be used everywhere in the realms. Lots and lots of good stuff here.

Or, if you play in a specific region and don't plan to move anytime soon, go for a regional sourcebook like Silver Marches, Unapproachable East or the Waterdeep book. (The three best IMO).
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  17:55:17  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens
The Serpent kingdoms is probably the 3ed book that gives you the most new information not seen in other ed. But this book is very theme specific, and if serpent folks are something you don't see yourself using in an campaign maybe you should pass it over. On the plus side, besides serpent lore; this book details a few lands around the Chultan peninsula we have seen very little of before. The lack of maps irritates some people, but if you own the old Forgotten Realms Atlas this is not a problem.

Hmm, I don't have the old Forgotten Realms Atlas much to my chagrin. I've been looking for it a long time now and it seems the only copies of it left in existance are going for atrocious prices on ebay. Wizards of The Coast really need to reprint that.

As to your other advice, I am still deciding on whether I want new and unexplored content (for me anyways), like Serpent Kingdoms or Underdark, or if I want a book for more general use. Like Powers, Races, or Lost Empires. So far I am leaning towards Races as I am still unsure just what Powers of Faerun is about. Then in a close second is Lost Empires. It's going to be a tough choice, that's for sure. But making the choice is half the fun in my opinion, especially with all this good advice.

quote:
Originally posted by Reefy
Races of Faerûn or Lost Empires of Faerûn would be my advice - lots of good lore and seem to fit the idea of a 'second book' to me.

I know this sounds off topic. But how do you get the ^ above the u in Faerun? It's always puzzled me.

To Sage. Well first thanks for showing me these links and for your advice (and thanks to everyone else as well, if I haven't mentioned it yet). As to the e-book thing, I have some questions. Let's just say my computer isn't as great as it used to be, so I've had to reformat it a few times. So what if I bought some of these e-books and my HD got erased? Would I be able to re-download them? Or is this a one shot, you pay for it and you get it, kind of thing?

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  18:09:12  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know this sounds off topic. But how do you get the ^ above the u in Faerun? It's always puzzled me.

Well met

Simply hold down the ALT key and press 0251 on the keypad, then release ALT

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  19:15:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm, I don't have the old Forgotten Realms Atlas much to my chagrin. I've been looking for it a long time now and it seems the only copies of it left in existance are going for atrocious prices on ebay. Wizards of The Coast really need to reprint that.

Really? I rarely see it go as high as $20...

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  19:21:35  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I am confused then. Oh, I am talking about the CD-ROM Atlas. The normal one is quite reasonable.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  20:11:24  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I should have been a little clearer; I was talking of the paper atlas by Karen Wynn Fonstad, which is in my opinion one of the most useful products you could get for the realms.

I should mention that of the books you consider the Races of faerun tome is probably the one which has the most rules material for 3ed, even if it is a great book, especially if you want more information of the human cultures of faerun.

Anyway good luck with your choice.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  20:18:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I am confused then. Oh, I am talking about the CD-ROM Atlas. The normal one is quite reasonable.

Ah, okay. Yeah, the Interactive Atlas goes for quite a pretty penny. The print one is fairly reasonable and easy to find. I have both; I was exceedingly lucky to get the Interactive Atlas for half price, directly from TSR's Mail Order Hobby Shop.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  09:28:29  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Helpful might also be this poll/discussion here at candlekeep:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7095

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000