Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 DriveThruRPG.com releases 3.5e D&D e-books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  16:29:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The full details were presented at EN World this morning:- http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=165678

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  16:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  17:21:51  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At full price with DRM. :(

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  17:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is interesting. But any idea yet as to the cost of buying the new sourcebooks in e-book format?

If it's cheap, then this may be a good way to catch up on the new material without having to spend a lot.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 16 Jun 2006 17:59:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  18:00:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about WotC, but another gaming system I am familiar with has been releasing pdfs at cover price a month or so before releasing the print copies. Thus far, the system has worked well for them. Granted, I think that if you buy one version you should get a discount on the other, but the numbers aren't on my side with this one.

Having said that, I should really prefer to avoid any debates over whether or not the pdfs should be cheaper.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2006 :  08:56:40  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

This is interesting. But any idea yet as to the cost of buying the new sourcebooks in e-book format?

If it's cheap, then this may be a good way to catch up on the new material without having to spend a lot.

Because they can't control one person buying and downloading a copy and then giving copies to all their friends.

Charging full price for a PDF encourages people to buy a Book. And if they do get the PDF and make copies of it, at least then the person will have to really want it.
Plus I personally hate reading stuff on the computer, especially if I need to datamine for it.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2006 :  04:51:28  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see pro's and con's to this. I like to sit around and just puruse my sourcebooks, so in pdf format, it is a little less relaxing. However, I remember days of backpacks full of tomes, converging on one spot for our once a week game sessions. One laptop, with all of the info does come in handy, especially with bookmark and search utilities.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  00:23:33  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've seen, the books are sold at the same (or near the same) price as hard copies. I know people don't like that, but according to the financial people, their first few PDF runs have been quite successful. On another note, those of us who happen to be involved in D20 or small press companies are likely to benefit because DTRPG sales will go way up with the inclusion of all of the WOTC material.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  18:35:51  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problem with PDFs
They have absolutely no resale value.
You can't buy a group of them on ebay for $9 each.
You can't share them with your group and pass them around the gaming table.

With the DRM, the PDF versions should be provided for a nominal cost when you buy the book.
With the book comes a "purchase code". Login to WOTC's website, enter the code and download a DRM protected version of the book you just bought at the store. Pay an extra $5.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2006 :  05:38:45  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish they'd use some format other the PDF, maybe one of the REALY ebook formats. But that's just me wanting D&D books on my palm.

As for PDFs and passing them around... a laptop will do. I like to use PDFs to print specific parts of the book out so I don't have to haul the whole book around with me. For example, Complete Fighter. If I'm playing a Bladesinger, 2 pages printed out allows me to stick them inside of the Spell Compendium which which has A LOT of pages that may be useful.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000