Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Artifact Spells (Dragon 345/Secrets of Xen'drik)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  04:04:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I read the article in Dragon 345 on artifact spells, and this really sparked my imagination about them. I wonder if these might be introduced as "core" mechanics at some point in time or another.

In the article that had some of these artifact spells detailed, they mention that artifact spells in Faerun might be magics created by the Phaerimm, but I was thinking of another use entirely.

To backtrack a bit, artifact spells are spells that can only be learned from their source. A wizard can never copy them into their spellbook, a sorcerer cannot learn them, and a cleric cannot pray for them even if they are shown the spell, but if they spend time with a given source of artifact spells, they may prepare the spell, and once they use it, its gone until they get access to the source again. They also cannot prepared the same artifact spell more than once in a given year's time, unless they loose the spell without casting it. It takes up a set level slot, though its more powerful than a spell of its "level."

Artifact spells apparently only have an arcane of divine level, so any character that can cast, say, a third level arcane spell of any kind, bard, sorcerer, wizard, whatever, can cast an "arcane 3" artifact spell.

I can think of tons of uses of such spells. For one thing, I have always thought that Elven High Magic entailed more than just "epic" magic, and having spells that only certain elven mages have access to would be great. Perhaps a spell that can only be accessed at the source of a given Mythal, or within a certain chamber of an elven tower.

I have also thought that perhaps some of the spirits of Rashemen might give out artifact spells, only at certain places, at their discretion, to witches that they deem worthy of using them.

Does anyone else think these are a cool addition to D&D rules, or did I just short circut or something?

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 11 Jun 2006 04:06:21

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  04:32:37  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's not a weird thought at all. It's a great idea. Somehow it really feels ... Vancian. The idea reminds me of the warm fuzzy feeling I got when playing Planescape: Torment as a mage when the rules of magic were explained to The Nameless One. Spells are memorized, but once cast the power is stripped from the mind to fuel the magic. It is an atmospheric magic system, which I feel has been downplayed in recent years. Artifact spells are like Vancian spells on stimulants.

This could be an ideal system for inclusion into the Realms, which has many places of magical lore and power scattered about through the eons long cycle of civilization and ruin. I'm surprised a similar idea hasn't been presented (same impression when I read about living spells).
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  05:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now all someone has to do is do a dedicated FR article in Dragon picking up on this idea and getting it published. Imaskar sounds like the best origin source.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  13:12:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While a very unique and interesting idea, I'm hoping there's some good strong controls in it. The you can only use it once a year is definitely a good one. Also, do they have any rules for constructing such? Where can I see these items? Imaskar, Raumathar, Narfell, Netheril, Halruaa, Rashemen, the various elven fallen civilizations, where the Phaerimm are, where the ancient lizard people were, and possibly even in some modern day Mystran temples with lengthy histories.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  02:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are good additions to the DnD rules, IMO.

I don't know that they're entirely suited to my high-level Realms campaign, but I do think I'll find a way to use them to spice things up. Maybe drop 'em in Myth Drannor, or someplace like that.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000