Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Xvim's Mother as my campaign ending "boss"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  00:00:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all.

Unfortunately one of my friends will be moving at the end of the summmer, and as such, I am drawing my Mistledale Campaign toward its end. I am planning on having a "Ed-style" ending battle that involves many of the factions that have been plaguing the PCs throughout the campaign converging at one time, but once the PCs win through the first few waves of enemies, I plan on throwing one big gun at them (and giving the cleric of Helm a chance to use his axiomatic bastard sword).

Xvim's Mother will be the ending "baddie" more or less, and since there was some contention on wheather she was a paladin or a demon, I decided that I would do what appealed to me most . . . make them both true.

Xvim's Mother was a paladin that opposed Bane during his life as a mortal, and was his arch enemy. Eventually, Bane tricked her into using an artifact that suffused her with demonic essence, making her into a half-demon, and eventually she succumed to the evil taint in her blood.

After Bane became a god, Xvim's Mother went to Bane, acting as if she were drawn to his power, but in reality, she was hoping to get close to him so as to learn a weakness with which to destroy the now young god. Xvim's Mother seduced Bane, and she thought that if she could not find a weakness, at least she might twist her son against Bane and use him as her revenge.

Xvim's Mother was enraged when Xvim instead took after his father, and she withdrew from the world.

In my campaign, the PCs found a child that was Xvim's child, and Xvim's mother hoped to use the child as a means of drawing Xvim's power to her and weakening Bane.

What follows are Xvim's Mother's stats, as I have made them up. Take a look and let me know what you would do differently. The PCs are going to be a group of 6 11th level characters.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  00:00:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Xvim's Mother CR18
Female Human Half-Demon Paladin 5/Rogue 2/Blackguard 8
CE Medium Outsider (Augmented Humanoid)
Init 9 (+5 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Listen +16, Spot +16
Aura Courage, Despair
Languages Common, Dwarven, Orc, Draconic, Infernal, Abyssal, Celestial, Chondathan

AC 28, touch 11, flat-footed 27
hp 167 (15HD); DR 10/magic
Immune to poison Resist acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10 and fire 10
SR 25
Fort +29 Ref +27 Will +23

Speed 20 ft. (4 squares), Fly 20 ft. (Average)
Melee +2 unholy scimitar +21/+16/+11 (1d6+6/18-20)(+2d6 versus good) and bite +13 (1d6+4) or 2 claws +18 (1d4+2) and bite +13 (1d6+4) or +2 scimitar +21/+16/+11 (1d6+6/18-20)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +14; Grp +18
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 15) 1/day - Horrid Wilting (DC 32/F), Unhallow (DC 29), Blasphemy (DC 31), Contagion (DC 27/F), Unholy Blight (DC 28/W), Desecrate; 3/day - Unholy Aura (DC 32), Poison (DC 28/F), Darkness.
Special Atk sneak attack +3d6, smite good, spell-like abilities, smite evil 4/day, turn undead 10/day and rebuke undead 10/day

Blackguard spells prepared (CL 4, +18 melee touch, +19 ranged touch)
4th--summon monster IV, inflict critical wounds (DC 20/W)
3rd--contagion (DC 19/F), death knell (DC 19/W)
2nd--inflict moderate wounds (DC 18/W), bull's strength (DC 18), summon monster II
1st--cause fear (DC 17/W)(x 2), cure light wounds (DC 17/W)(x 2)

Abilities Str 19, Dex 20, Con 21, Int 25, Wis 22, Cha 24
SQ darkvision 60 ft., immunity to poison, resistance acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10 and fire 10, damage reduction 10/magic, spell resistance 25, detect evil, trapfinding, evasion, detect good, poison use, aura of despair, lay on hands and dark blessing
Feats Cleave, Improved Initiative, Via Negativa, Touch of Benevolence, Mutilator, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (scimitar)
Skills Concentration +22 (+17 ranks, +5 con), Diplomacy +26 (+17 ranks, +7 cha, +2 synergy), Disable Device +15 (+8 ranks, +7 int), Escape Artist +5 (+6 ranks, +5 dex, -6 acp), Handle Animal +24 (+17 ranks, +7 cha), Heal +23 (+17 ranks, +6 wis), Hide +15 (+16 ranks, +5 dex, -6 acp), Intimidate +24 (+17 ranks, +7 cha), Jump +3 (+4 str, +5 competence, -6 acp), Knowledge (Local) +17 (+10 ranks, +7 int), Knowledge (Religion) +24 (+17 ranks, +7 int), Listen +16 (+10 ranks, +6 wis), Open Lock +15 (+10 ranks, +5 dex), Read Lips +15 (+9 ranks, +6 wis), Ride +23 (+16 ranks, +5 dex, +2 synergy), Search +17 (+10 ranks, +7 int), Sense Motive +16 (+10 ranks, +6 wis), Spot +16 (+10 ranks, +6 wis), Survival +15 (+9 ranks, +6 wis).
Possessions +1 full plate, +2 heavy steel shield, +2 unholy scimitar, amulet of natural armor +3, ring of ram, ring of jumping, potion of fly, potion of blur

Sneak Attack (Ex): Any time Xvim's Mother's opponent is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC, or if a she flanks her opponent, she deals an extra 4d6 points of damage.

Smite Good (Su): Three times per day, Xvim's Mother can make a normal melee attack to deal 15 extra damage against a good foe.

Smite Good (Su): Xvim's Mother may attempt to smite good with one normal melee attack. She adds +7 to her attack roll and deals 8 extra points of damage. If Xvim's Mother accidentally smites a creature that is not good, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day.

Rebuke Undead (Su): Xvim's Mother rebukes undead as a level 6 cleric.

Trapfinding: Xvim's Mother can use the Search skill to find traps with Search DCs higher than 20.

Evasion (Ex): If exposed to any effect that normally allows a character to attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage, Xvim's Mother takes no damage with a successful saving throw.

Detect Good (Sp): Xvim's Mother can detect evil at will, as the spell of the same name.

Poison Use (Ex): Xvim's Mother is not at risk of being poisoned when handling poisons to coat weapons.

Aura of Despair (Su): Enemies within 10 feet of Xvim's Mother take a -2 penalty on all saving throws.

Aura of Evil (Ex): Xvim's Mother's aura of evil (see the detect evil spell) is equal to that of a level 8 cleric.

Lay on Hands (Su): Xvim's Mother can cure 56 hit points of wounds per day.

Fiendish Servant (Sp): Xvim's Mother may have a servant, an animal with the fiendish template.

Dark Blessing (Su): Xvim's Mother gains a +7 bonus on saving throws.

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  00:11:07  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KnighterrantJR, you have a grand idea in my opinion and I say good luck. You have a well planned game that should be very entertaining for the players. I myself started my players in Mistledale and forever more they refer to the campaign as the Mistledale Campaign. Nevermind that their characters have been in Waterdeep for like the last 14 sessions and haven't seen Mistledale in a good long time. Hahahaha, looking back though. Twould seem your game has much more complexity and promise than my Mistldale campaign. After all, it was my first time DM'ing the realms and I made the main city of Mistledale..... well Mistledale. An embarrasing mistake I assure you.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  00:17:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be sad moving on, not just because my friend is moving, but because Mistledale has really started to feel like "home" to me as a DM. Its not just Ashabenford, but Glen, Pelden's Helm, the Beast Country, and even the rest of the Dales. I've had a blast RPing Haresk Malorn, Noristuor, Neylessa Shendean, and all of the Tyrian clerics that shake their heads when adventurers come callilng at their door.

So I wanted to give them a villain worthy of their final battle, though there may be a bit of a sad prologue too (I've never been one for overly happy endings).
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  00:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drama sells. Go with it and I am sure that the party will enjoy. I myself hope to be moving soon. Unfortunately that means that my five players will be unreachable for paper based gaming.

By the way, researching Xvim's mother some more is widening my eyes as I read on. You really aren't pulling any punches.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  00:48:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My idea, a while back, was that she was a tiefling. Bane seduced her and then his seed was enough to push her over the edge to full demon.

But your idea is pretty good, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  19:27:03  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't get this the wrong way, but how can a chaotic evil be a paladin? And a blackguard at the same time? Isn't one of the requirements of a paladin being lawful good? Otherwise, I really like your idea. A really interesting idea. Anyway, I was just wondering about that question.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  19:32:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mask

Don't get this the wrong way, but how can a chaotic evil be a paladin? And a blackguard at the same time? Isn't one of the requirements of a paladin being lawful good? Otherwise, I really like your idea. A really interesting idea. Anyway, I was just wondering about that question.

The Paladin levels remain, however the Paladin is fallen.

The class levels still are recorded for things like hit points, BAB, bonus feats, skill points. Unless a varient rule was used, the character started out as Lawful Good but over time gave up both of them (losing divine bonuses).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  21:13:05  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, right, my mistake. I suppose I'm still confused with the 2nd edition rules where a paladin basically becomes a fighter when she loses her paladin status. thanks for clearing that up.

By the way, any idea on what kind her demon half is? Or did I miss that?

Nothing is impossible!

Edited by - Mask on 13 Jun 2006 21:15:08
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2006 :  10:49:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thought process was that the artifact that corrupted her simple caused a "generic demonic taint" and that if anything, the next step in her evolution would be to move her into becoming a demon lord (or lady, as the case may be). If she was slain outright, her soul would go to the Abyss and start up the whole "fiendish" chain from the begining (though it might have some serious potential and a good head start . . . or an evil head start if you will).
Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  20:50:52  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the last battle. You don't care what they get. Make sure she's got Humanbane on that sword also
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000