Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Adventure/Campaign idea for mid-high level PCs
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rom90125
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  21:55:04  Show Profile  Visit rom90125's Homepage Send rom90125 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I originally posted this at EnWorld and it was suggested I also post it here since it is set in FR. A few points I feel must be stated up front: I am not a master of the Realms. I might be breaking canon here but I don't want this thread to become derailed because of it. Second, I'm not concerned with keeping up with the latest canon from the novels. Please realize this is a custom FR setting.

Any input you wish to add (positive or negative) is greatly appreciated.

Sources:
City of the Spider Queen mega-adventure
Gates of Oblivion (Dungeon #136 pgs. 66-82)
Lords of Darkness (Shades pgs 78-95)
The Apocalypse Stone (AD&D adventure heavily modified)

The Shades have returned to Faerun with intentions of conquering the continent and eventually Toril itself (turning the entire planet into an extension of the Plane of Shadow). Once this happens, Toril will be the staging ground for conquering the Material Plane.

During their 1700 year absence from Faerun, the Shades have been journeying thru the Plane of Shadow, rebuilding their power thru ancient arcane tomes and rites long since lost to inhabitants of Toril. Knowing that their power is augmented by the Plane of Shadow, the Shades have devised a way to open a rift in the Material Plane (using the Gates of Oblivion) that would allow the Plane of Shadow to leak in and overtake Toril and eventually the entire Material Plane.

The High Prince founded the Cult of the Monolith, an apocalyptic sect whose missionaries travel from world to world, converting the locals to their nihilistic creed. The Cult is based in a city-state named Lacc, which is found in the Plane of Shadow and contains the Gates of Oblivion. Prior to returning to Toril, the High Prince placed his twin sons, Prince Mattick Tanthul and Prince Vattick Tanthul in charge of the Cult of the Monolith (and effectively, in charge of Lacc). The twin brothers in turn both masquerade as Tenaris Xin to hide their true identities from any who would pry into the cult’s activities.

The Shades that returned to Toril have now begun to actively seek out Netherese artifacts, including the Netheril Scrolls (it is but a vague rumor that the Netheril Scrolls contain arcane might of which the world has not seen in nearly 2000 years – in metagame terms, 10th level spells). The High Prince believes that these artifacts, in conjunction with the Gates of Oblivion, will provide the Shades with the necessary tools to gain dominion over the Material Plane. In order to accomplish this feat, the Shades must first contend with the powers that rule Toril, namely the Dragons, the epic elite, and divine intervention.

To ensure the dragons will not interfere with their plans, the Shades have been gathering the Orbs of Dragonkind. Once all of the Orbs are gathered, the Shades will be able to invoke The Rage of the Dragons (an archaic arcane ritual that destroys the Orbs and in the process causes all the dragons to slip into irresistible feral madness).

The other major threats to the Shades plan are the epic heroes of this world and divine intervention. Several years prior to the return of the City of Shade to Toril, elite groups of powerful Shades (each lead by one of the High Prince’s sons) secretly returned to Faerun and began infiltrating selected groups that could cause the High Prince’s plans to be hindered. Rogue individuals not tightly associated to any group of power (such as loner archmages, powerful undead, and extraplanar beings calling Faerun their home) are being eliminated by the High Prince himself. Once the Shades have a presence in these numerous groups, and the High Prince has eliminated the more bothersome epic elite, the next phase of the Shade’s plan will go into effect; the introduction of the city-state Lacc and the Gates of Oblivion onto the Material Plane (led by the Tanthul twins posing as Tenaris Xin).

Immediately following the emergence of Lacc will be the invocation of the Rage of the Dragons and the removal of the Apocalypse Stone from it’s once-hidden resting place (this will cause a disjunction between the Material Plane and all of the other planes in the cosmology with the exception of the Plane of Shadow which has it’s link due to the presence of Lacc. This disjunction will block divine intervention). As the powerful groups align themselves to strike at these threats, the Shades and Shadovars that have infiltrated these groups will counterstrike from within and cause their downfall.

The initial groundwork has been laid: The sleeper cells of Shades and Shadovars have successfully infiltrated numerous groups in Faerun (including the Harpers, Zhentarim, and Red Wizards). The Gates of Oblivion have been awakened and even now the effects are being felt in Faerun. The Gates of Oblivion were ‘tested’ by the Shades recently and these ‘tests’ resulted in the utter destruction of the Demonweb Pits and caused the disappearance of Lolth (it is not known if she was killed or simply abandoned her corner of the Abyss during it’s destruction).

The party will first become involved when it is discovered that there is a drow exodus from the Underdark into the ancient lands of the surface elves (namely Myth Drannor and the Elven Court in Cormanthor Forest). The clues will lead the PC’s to the realization that Lolth is silent and other deities in the drow pantheon have raced to fill the void left by the Spider Queen. Along the way, they will uncover clues that point to a far more serious and diabolical plan of which the disappearance of the Spider Queen is merely a footnote.

One question that was posed to me at EnWorld and needs to be answered:

What is the role of Shar in the nihilistic cult you describe? Do the plans of the shades tie into Shar's desire to cause everything to revert to primordial darkness? If not, won't she oppose them?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  22:20:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rom90125

One question that was posed to me at EnWorld and needs to be answered:

What is the role of Shar in the nihilistic cult you describe? Do the plans of the shades tie into Shar's desire to cause everything to revert to primordial darkness? If not, won't she oppose them?

I see no problem here.

Even if one wants the sun tuned off, efforts to prevent sunlight from reaching the world is a patial achievement of the final goal.

While the shades do not want to and everything, their plan invloves ending somethings. A step in the process of total distruction.
Also the use of 10th level and higher spells appear to have an increased chance of unexpected worst results. Shar likely would support the Shades' effort hoping for such a catistropic event to occue achieving her goals more then the Shades' goals.
Ed if I read him correctly does indicate that 10t level and higher magic still exists and can be used with Shadow weave without deity restriction, Shar has not banned its use though such powerful spells might not be generally permitted to her Clerics least Shadow Weave become more well known about.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

rom90125
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  22:26:09  Show Profile  Visit rom90125's Homepage Send rom90125 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
I see no problem here.

Even if one wants the sun tuned off, efforts to prevent sunlight from reaching the world is a patial achievement of the final goal.

While the shades do not want to and everything, their plan invloves ending somethings. A step in the process of total distruction.
Also the use of 10th level and higher spells appear to have an increased chance of unexpected worst results. Shar likely would support the Shades' effort hoping for such a catistropic event to occue achieving her goals more then the Shades' goals.
Ed if I read him correctly does indicate that 10t level and higher magic still exists and can be used with Shadow weave without deity restriction, Shar has not banned its use though such powerful spells might not be generally permitted to her Clerics least Shadow Weave become more well known about.

Kentinal,

Thanks much for your respoonse. I too felt Shar would not feel threatened by the Shade's activities, but I wanted more Realms-experienced people (such as yourself) to answer this question.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  02:50:25  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rom90125

Kentinal,

Thanks much for your respoonse. I too felt Shar would not feel threatened by the Shade's activities, but I wanted more Realms-experienced people (such as yourself) to answer this question.

In fairness some might not consider me "Realms-experienced people" , though I do appear to get close to getting it right once in a while.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  03:03:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar is a subtle deity, and she understands the value of incrementalism, so I think she would have no problem with her servants taking a step in the right direction. I daresay most of her followers don't follow the "lets annihilate everything" ultimate goal, but rather respect aspects of her canon, such as loss, darkness, etc.

Also, I have always thought that if anything happened to Lolth that Shar might be interested in expanding her holdings with dark elven worshippers. She already has inroads to the Underdark with her guise as Ilbrandul.

And while I love canon and try to keep close to it myself, I would never begrudge anyone an interesting alternate Realms. I've been too big a fan of comic books to not at least view such campaigns as interesting alternate realities that I might even use if my PCs ever went "reality hopping."
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  11:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool outline. Sounds like a really fun campaign.

I would have kept in mind Shar is a subtle goddess, and may not back the Shades enough to allow them to succeed if they come in position to do that. Maybe she have other plans, and merely use Shade to deal with pesky Chosen?

So by not nailing down Shar's true intentions, I'd allow myself as a DM to change my mind laters.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2006 :  11:45:09  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I would not call myself an expert, but here is a few thoughts

The big question is which role you want her to play in the plot. As has been said, Shar is subtle and she's also fickle. There is no guarantie that her plans are the same as the Shades and it is quite possible that she will work against her own followers for no other reason than to increase the mystery surrounding her and increace general paranoia.

Another question is if it realy is Shar who is behind the shades plots. A sceme of these dimentions and with this potential would almost certainly attract other evil powers whose porfoilos overlap parts of the elements in the scheme. the sheer destruction would appeal to Talos and the political intriege would have a strong appeal to Gargauth. Are the Shades united or are their groups within working toward their own goales. Maybe Shars whole interest in this plot is to rout out agents for rivals?

This could lead to Shar being kept busy by this rival deity, who's either using her followers or trying to make their cause their own. Or is Shar using even her rival powers?

And what of Shars clergy; are they aware of these plans? are they working with the Shades or are they maby a little irritated that the Shades are moving in on theyr teritory. It is quite possible for the church to be sceptic of this new group and willing to work against them. maybe Shar her self are putting them up against each other just for the heck of it?

The fun thing about Shar is that there doesent need to be an apparent reason; she is the goddes of mysteries, secrets and loss with no lojalties to others than her self. This makes her a good "wild-card" in campaigns, usable in any way you like and not bound by a need to act logicaly. The neutral clerics of Shar from 2nd ed. were great for making the lines around the goddess even more grey. No one knows Shar, not even her own followers.

This campaign-outline holds litteraly thousands of sub-plot ideas and i would hope to hear more about what you decide to do.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000