Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Planar adventure questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  06:29:39  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

In the last session, the PCs (High level, evil alignements) tried to get their hands on a "old and now insane sage" captured in a ennemy prison. They tried a scry/buff/teleport tactics and set of a Symbol of Death trap that killed the poor old guy .

Now of course they want to find a way to talk to him. Of course he wont answer a revive call from a Talona's cleric and even if they could try a neutral/good cleric to raise him, he won't answer.

They can try some things (maybe I forgot some) :

1) Get him while he's in the fugue plain by dealing with some Demons/Devils and gives him is sanity back.

2) Wait for him to be judged and sent to the House of Knowledge, where his sanity will return (driking from Oghma's pools).

3) They could try Contact Other Planes, but they are short on time and I don't think the fey'ri sorcereress will risk her sanity.

First option is easy for me to deal with, but the second one give me some headache. Oghma is a neutral god, but would it let a party with 2 fey'ri (ftgr/rog/ass 20, sorc 18), and two worshiper of Talona (monk22 and cleric18 + LA+2 template) enter his realm to disturb a petitioner ?

Of course there is some fun RP possibility, after all they are seeking some knowledge that he's the only one to know (an adapted version of the Sleep of Ages (dungeon #69) prophety). But I'm not really sure how to handle adventures in divine realms. (Harder than in "free planes" like the Abyss/Nine Hells).

Thanks for ideas/suggestions.

Edited by - Skeptic on 08 Jun 2006 06:31:15

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  11:02:45  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you might want to do is see if they want to hire some freelance demon mercenaries to raid his soul from the Fugue Plain. While mortals that are still living can't enter the plane, demons and devils can.

I guess devils might be willing to do so as well, but I doubt it, as it might risk their deal they have brokered with Kelemvor.

Just an idea. It lets them go to the Abyss, and you could even have the demons double cross the PCs so they have to chase them across the Abyss, all the while eventually having to deal with whatever planar agents Oghma might send to rescue him as well.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  12:28:49  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with the Fugue Plane, at least the way I see it, is that Realms time is counted differently than planes time. You got dozens of people dying any given second in Faerun, the messengers of the gods will not wait a Realms day to collect souls. So if the sage has been a follower of Oghma, he will most likely have already been collected and ushered off to Oghma's library before the characters can sneeze... so to speak.

So it will be off to Oghma for the characters. Will he let them in? Why not? They seek knowledge and as long as they respect Oghma's rules and do not cause any havoc I don't see much of a problem. The sage might still not answer them, but there isn't much they can do about that.

What seems a tad more interesting to me is that a cleric of Talona searches for wisdom elsewhere! Such insolence, such blasphemy! There will most likely be tremendous repercussions.

On another note: how often does your group play??? That's pretty damn high levels. My group has been on and off playing for 5 years and the characters still have only reached old AD&D levels of a maximum of 7/6.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  16:13:37  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mace Hammerhand this adventure is a "spin-off" of the official campaign that is currently on hold for the summer. But in the real one, they really advanced to level 15 after something like 70 game session.

If you're still level 7 after 5 years, you certainly aren't playing D&D 3/3.5 with official XP rules. (it's even low for a 2e wizard!)

Ok, back on topic now :

KnightErrantJR that is exactly what I wanted to say with 1).

I know the time is different between Toril and the Fugue, but why so faster ? Also, I think that his case maybe a little different because he was insane for the last ten years, so no prayers for Oghma during all this time.

Of course if they meet him in House of Knowledge, they won't be able to use charm/dominate/intimidate to force him to talk. On the other side, their are fighting against another evil (Banites and Beholders) so that would probably help.

Th
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  17:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

If you're still level 7 after 5 years, you certainly aren't playing D&D 3/3.5 with official XP rules. (it's even low for a 2e wizard!)

Considering that we played, initially, once every three months or so, that level is ok... and the official 3.x xp-rules seem so Diablo to me that, after checking with my players (who like seeing their chars grow), we decided to simmer the level every 13.333 encounters more than a little down.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000