Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What is the current status of Halaster Blackcloak
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  16:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings

What is the current disposition of Halaster Blackcloak? As of say the current year in the realms. Is he dead in hiding on vacation in the underdark, wow I suddenly realized I lost track of him.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  17:03:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After he helped rescue Elminster from Hell, in Elminster in Hell, Mystra mostly cleared him of Shar's insanity and so he's lucid, most of the time, except for the times when he slides back into temp bouts of insanity. Otherwise, he's still in Undermountain.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  17:15:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's still having fun watching all the fools wandering thru his playground, Undermountain.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  17:18:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. We know Halaster can slip back into his periods of insanity every now and then... but it's nothing compared to what he experienced before the purging of the influence from Shar.

And while a sane Halaster may sound scary... what's really frightening is what Ed, Eric or Steven can *do* with a SANE Halaster!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  23:26:43  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as soon as I get done with The Temptation of Eliminster I will read Eliminster in Hell. Sounds very worthwhile. I am promised a spectacle including the Simbul, Halaster, and Eliminster. That ain't half bad.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  23:44:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Well, as soon as I get done with The Temptation of Eliminster I will read Eliminster in Hell. Sounds very worthwhile. I am promised a spectacle including the Simbul, Halaster, and Eliminster. That ain't half bad.

And when you are done with El in Hell, read Ed's remarks about the after effects, which can be found in my sig. Use the Index/TOC and do searches for Halaster and then find those same dates in the files themselves.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  03:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He is more likely now playing with his Undermountain model and determining the fates of adventurers in Undermountain at his own whim and tastes, of course, determined by his sanity and insanity at the moment.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  04:08:32  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless you're expecting an anthology of Elminster's disconnected memories you are not going to get the spectacle I suspect you're looking for. Only about a sixth of the novel is actually about Elminster in Hell. Just thought I'd warn you.

quote:

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  12:59:43  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A long time ago I realized that I would never know all I wanted to know about people like Eliminster, Khelben, and other celebrities of the realms. Although somewhat depressing it also leaves room for people to add a little bit of their own flavor during a gaming session as DM. Although I would caution those that would use the Chosen of Mystra too liberally. Your characters might just not get the "Chosen" thing and end up losing a lot of dignity.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  13:22:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A long time ago I realized that I would never know all I wanted to know about people like Eliminster, Khelben, and other celebrities of the realms. Although somewhat depressing it also leaves room for people to add a little bit of their own flavor during a gaming session as DM.

Steven Schend has given us a lot of info about Khelben, and we have his upcoming novel, Blackstaff, to look forward to. It comes out in July.

quote:

Although I would caution those that would use the Chosen of Mystra too liberally. Your characters might just not get the "Chosen" thing and end up losing a lot of dignity.

There's a lot of people who just don't get the point of the Chosen.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  13:40:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Steven Schend has given us a lot of info about Khelben...
Which can, of course, be found in the author/game designer compiled replies files -- see the URL in Kuje's sig.

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2006 :  02:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Wooly, I was speaking from a recent experience. As a DM I brought a Chosen of Mystra (Alustriel) into my campaign for a quick cameo and one of the players wanted to kill her just to be a pain. Needless to say I was disappointed by the lack of consideration on the players part but hey you can't control everything. (Shrug) Anyways, I had to make the dangerous character docile while role-playing was done by the more experienced people.

I am of the understanding that the chosen work to spread the use of magic responsibly. They are guided by their own hearts thereafter. Am I correct in thinking this? I am totally open to correction of my interpretation.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2006 :  14:48:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am of the understanding that the chosen work to spread the use of magic responsibly. They are guided by their own hearts thereafter. Am I correct in thinking this? I am totally open to correction of my interpretation.

Pretty much, yes.

But a lot of people seem to think of the Chosen as either people who throw their weight around everywhere, using their magical might to get every little thing as they desire, or as just another target, waiting for powerful PCs to come along and try to kill them. That's what I meant by most people not getting the Chosen -- I wasn't referring to anyone in particular; it's just something I've seen a lot of people do.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2006 :  15:41:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Mystra's Chosen are unique characters and should be utilised as such.

Part of why they are unique is because of their role. They balance out Mystra, and store some of her power in case it's needed. They're kind of like "loyal opposition" -- they are loyal to Mystra, but they are not controlled by her, and with them having some of her power, they can act in opposition to her if she gets out of control. They are also assistants of a sort; they work to further the spread of magic, but in a pinch, they can also help to maintain the Weave.

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  00:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clearing that up Wooly and Sage.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  01:45:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a problem.

If you're looking for a more in-depth account of Mystra's Chosen, I would suggest picking up a copy of the Heroes' Lorebook. It has a full section on the origins and function of Mystra's Chosen in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  15:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Not a problem.

If you're looking for a more in-depth account of Mystra's Chosen, I would suggest picking up a copy of the Heroes' Lorebook. It has a full section on the origins and function of Mystra's Chosen in the Realms.

Also limiting the view excusively to the Seven Sisters is the book, "The Seven Sisters" (funny coincidence huh?)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  20:02:13  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For once I can say I have that book!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  10:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For once I can say I have that book!

And it's always nice when that happens!

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  15:51:47  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hahahah, true Reefy. In fact I just ganked Eliminster in Hell, and the entire trilogy of the shadow of the avatar series from my little brother who is way to involved in computer games now. He didn't mind but I am still worried that my alignment might have gone down. My brother is LG after all.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2006 :  09:30:08  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hahahah, true Reefy. In fact I just ganked Eliminster in Hell, and the entire trilogy of the shadow of the avatar series from my little brother who is way to involved in computer games now. He didn't mind but I am still worried that my alignment might have gone down. My brother is LG after all.

Don`t worry about alignment. Mine changes all the time. I`m usually NG but sometimes I get really CE.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2006 :  14:15:25  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Alignment, do you think Halaster has had a change of alignment at all. Maybe temporary periods of NG when he notices a party is about to get annihilated by a trap he didn't construct.....and then he leads them to a trap that he did construct that will destroy the party thus becoming Evil once again.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2006 :  17:32:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speaking of Alignment, do you think Halaster has had a change of alignment at all. Maybe temporary periods of NG when he notices a party is about to get annihilated by a trap he didn't construct.....and then he leads them to a trap that he did construct that will destroy the party thus becoming Evil once again.

I can't see that... I think he'd be more inclined to sit back and watch, and if the trap was particularly clever, steal the design for himself. He might also, just to teach the original trapmaker a lesson, relocate the trap to catch the trapmaker.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  01:20:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I can't see that... I think he'd be more inclined to sit back and watch, and if the trap was particularly clever, steal the design for himself. He might also, just to teach the original trapmaker a lesson, relocate the trap to catch the trapmaker.

Agreed.

Halaster would be motivated more by what *he* could glean from such a situation. Afterall, the best way to understand a particularly clever trap is to see it work!

Edited by - The Sage on 17 May 2006 01:21:23
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  04:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I just have several scattered references of Halaster to go on when considering what type of person he is. I definitely like his style in handling the Naturalist Guild of Myth Drannor. I still laugh at that to this very day. 15 years!!!!! Without ever thinking anything was wrong.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  05:24:15  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I know I am by no means 'current' in all my Realms-reading. :) I was curious what sources are the most relavent to issues of Halaster. Other than the FRCS 1/2/3 editions.

Thanks!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  05:44:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

I know I am by no means 'current' in all my Realms-reading. :) I was curious what sources are the most relavent to issues of Halaster. Other than the FRCS 1/2/3 editions.

Thanks!

Dhomal

The Undermountain box sets.
Stardock adventure.
Elminster in Hell.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  06:10:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed also provides some brief notes on the "current" stylings of Halaster in some of his '05 replies (there one or two in the '04 replies also).

Steven Schend also provides some "unofficial" thoughts in his compiled replies too.

Go to Top of Page

Nightbreeze
Acolyte

Italy
33 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  14:01:12  Show Profile  Visit Nightbreeze's Homepage Send Nightbreeze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know, I just have several scattered references of Halaster to go on when considering what type of person he is. I definitely like his style in handling the Naturalist Guild of Myth Drannor. I still laugh at that to this very day. 15 years!!!!! Without ever thinking anything was wrong.

It seems i missed that event. What are speaking about?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  16:58:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nightbreeze

quote:

It seems i missed that event. What are speaking about?

It's in the Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves timeline and FRCS timeline on page 269 in the year 668.

Edited by - Kuje on 29 May 2006 19:49:19
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  19:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was also referencing the 2nd Edition resource 'The Fall of Myth Drannor'. A good read for any interested.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000