Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Details on Orcus (Timeframe and Details)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  04:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Orcus isnt a God all 3 3ed and 3.5 sources specficly state that Orcus isnt a God and never has been a god. Hes Demonlord pure and simple he doesnt get avatars

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:00:52  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Orcus isnt a God all 3 3ed and 3.5 sources specficly state that Orcus isnt a God and never has been a god. Hes Demonlord pure and simple he doesnt get avatars

Uh, it appears that SOMEONE hasen't read Faiths and Pantheons, where Orcus is clearly listed as a Lesser Deity.

And even if he isn't a god, he still gets aspects.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:04:42  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

quote:

Uh, it appears that SOMEONE hasen't read Faiths and Pantheons, where Orcus is clearly listed as a Lesser Deity.

yep and interestingly enough in PGTF it doesnt say Orcus is a God (it does however say Gargauth is a god)

Aspects of Orcus dont get Wands of orcus all they get is a Large +1 Heavy Mace which is Unholy when the Aspects holding it

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 09 Aug 2006 05:30:56
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:06:09  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

yep and interestingly enough in PGTF it doesnt say Orcus is a God (it does however say Gargauth is a god)

Aspects dont get Wands of orcus or all they get is a Large Heavy Mace which is Unholy when the Aspects holding it

Have you ever read the appendix at the back of the book? Where Orcus is listed among the monster deities?

-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:09:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

Have you ever read the appendix at the back of the book? Where Orcus is listed among the monster deities?

Yes and even the developers have acknowledged that the F&P Monster deity table is incomplete and inaccurate

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:18:35  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Which parts of it?

quote:
Aspects dont get Wands of orcus or all they get is a Large Heavy Mace which is Unholy when the Aspects holding it

Like crunch much?

I don't care what the stats are, it should be considered the Wand of Orcus for historical purposes.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 09 Aug 2006 05:19:24
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:29:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Which parts of it?

quote:

Like crunch much?

I don't care what the stats are, it should be considered the Wand of Orcus for historical purposes.

Well your issue is with Erik Mona and the good people at Wizards of the coast

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:33:29  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Yes and even the developers have acknowledged that the F&P Monster deity table is incomplete and inaccurate

Where? What is your proof? Where are you getting all this? I have already stated where I am getting all my info.

-- Torilian Prime

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:43:16  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Where? What is your proof? Where are you getting all this? I have already stated where I am getting all my info.

Its well known that the the F&P monster table is less than complete for example Bahamuts not on the table (Eric has corrected this omission in DoF) and one of the authors produced an Unofficial update

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:45:08  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its well known that the the F&P monster table is less than complete for example Bahamuts not on the table (Eric has corrected this omission in DoF) and one of the authors produced an Unofficial update

And how does this disprove that Orcus is a god?

Plus, the BOVD stated that is is very possible for archfiends to have divine rank.

-- Torilian Prime

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:47:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
BOVD Explicitly states ORCUS IS NOT A GOD this is repeated again in Libris Mortis and HOrdes of the Abysss that cam out this year

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 09 Aug 2006 05:48:12
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:50:10  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
In the BoVD it recommends giving the Archfiends DvR 0 if one wants them to be able to grant divine spells, I believe.

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:50:51  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message
quote:

BOVD Explicitly states ORCUS IS NOT A GOD this is repeated again in Libris Mortis and HOrdes of the Abysss that cam out this year

But BOVd did say it was possible for Archfiends to gain divine rank.

And I thought we were talking about FR here? Why are we bringing in non-FR products in when he got the nice, pure, FR F&P to refer to, hmmm...

See how your insistance on the fact that FR sources be trusted more than others comes crashing down on you. Because of FR, Orcus is now a god and Gareth only destroyed his avatar, WOOT

-- Torilian Prime

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  05:51:00  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
quote:
Well your issue is with Erik Mona and the good people at Wizards of the coast

Not at all.

Eric, who printed this book, already made it quite clear.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  06:05:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

In the BoVD it recommends giving the Archfiends DvR 0 if one wants them to be able to grant divine spells, I believe.

Which doesnt make them Gods

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  06:07:41  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
What does DvR make them?

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  06:09:22  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message
quote:

quote:

For one, BOVD recommended making the fiends DVR 1, not 0, making them gods.

And do you want to base this argument on FR only or everything? I have arguments loaded and ready for both. Pick your poison

-- Torilian Prime

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  06:10:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

What does DvR make them?

According to F&P their "Quasi deities"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  06:17:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

For one, BOVD recommended making the fiends DVR 1, not 0, making them gods.

Which makes them Demi gods. Demi gods only have ONE AVATAR so this silly multiple wands of Orcus idea (Which is clearly wrong in 3ed anyway)has now been totally blown out of the water. Further more a Demi power can be killed by a mortals

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  06:20:20  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message
quote:

quote:

What does DvR make them?

According to F&P their "Quasi deities"

Just to clear things up, according to D&DG and F&P, quasis and demigods cannot create avatars.

But since that same F&P book said Orcus was a LESSER DEITY, we can assume that Gareth defeated and avatar wielding the real wand. After the wand was destroyed, Orcus just simply recreated it and moved on.

Gareth didn't strike a great blow to Orcus, he just prevented him from infesting Toril with his foul prescence and damaged his pride.

That what I think what happened.

Like you said, realmslore can never be overruled by non-realmslore.

-- Torilian Prime

Edited by - FridayThe13th on 09 Aug 2006 06:23:09
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  06:24:22  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
H4 Says it will take Orcus 100 years to rebuild his Wand so no wand until 1459 or 85 years from now

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  06:30:19  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message
quote:

H4 Says it will take Orcus 100 years to rebuild his Wand so no wand until 1459 or 85 years from now

I can accept that, as long as you don't say that (sarcasm on) Orcus was "smited" by the noble Paladin Gareth and his foul prescence never touched the multiverse again."

Assuming that Dead Gods happened hundreads of years before bloodstone, I think there should be no contradictions between the two unless orcus is destroyed permenently by a wannabe prime paladin, which is just silly.

So yes, I can accept that it will take Orcus 100 years to rebuild his wand as long as he is not dead. He is too cool to be killed by Gareth

-- Torilian Prime

Edited by - FridayThe13th on 09 Aug 2006 06:30:49
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  06:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Going to have to disagree that Orcus is "Cool" unneeded is more like it between Kiranshee/Velshoon/Kelemvor/Jergal and even Myrkul running around in the crown of Horns the FR has the whole Undeath/dead thing covered we can safely leave Orcus dead orbanished in the realms

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  07:01:20  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message
But none of them have the appeal of a bad@ss demon lord. Anyways Orcus apparently isn't so big on the undeath thing himself, thinking of them more like useful and expendable tools, so he's more than just a God concerning himself wiith death or undeath, he can link into far grander power plays in the Abyss and maybe even other planes outside of Faerun
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  08:16:41  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
quote:
Going to have to disagree that Orcus is "Cool" unneeded is more like it between Kiranshee/Velshoon/Kelemvor/Jergal and even Myrkul running around in the crown of Horns the FR has the whole Undeath/dead thing covered we can safely leave Orcus dead orbanished in the realms

Let's see, Kelemvor and Jergal both actively oppose Undead, Kiaransalee is limited entirely to the Underdark, and Velsharoon is under the reigns of Mystra, Azuth, and Talos; and the Crown of Horns only has very local influences.

I really see a need for a prominent "evil" Undeath/Death figure in the Realms. Well, I'd just consider Myrkul still around.

As to unnecessary? The Realms' history is full of "unnecessary" deities of similar portfolios clashing, absorbing, and being defeated by others. It's a large part of what gives the Realms a more realistic feel.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  14:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
And one more thing to be considered:

IMHO, I think that is very uncommon that only the heroes could do the impossible. I mean, only the heroes could throw the One Ring into the volcano? Only the heroes could absorve Mystra´s essence in the ToT and become gods in the end? Only the heroes could stop the wars of Takhisis, put a clown nose in the face of old Sthrad, defeat the Pentex, stop the Jihad, kill Dunkhelzan, and an infinte etc.?

It´s so dificult to imagine that the villains could take mythical quests to "came back" with full power?

In my mind, I think very plausible that an extreme devotee of Orcus (Thrall of Orcus, BoVD) use fell magic to bring Orcus back after the Bloodstone events. So, Orcus take a very mystical/mythical/self-development/extreme/ quest (like the Ring´s Saga, the War of the Lance, ad infinitum), and ended coming back with full power, his wand restored, and influencing the Realms again.

Impossible? Yes.

But the players in all the game tables all around the world do things "impossible" in a daily basis.

And, my two cents: the imagination of the DM superceds the sourcebooks in all matters.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  17:23:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
BTW

Dargoth is misrepresenting what Richard Baker, and others, have said about that passage in Faiths & Pantheons. What they really said is this, "The part where it says that there are no other monstrous deities in FR is wrong, since there are more monstrous deities in FR then what is on that list." They've never said that the list itself is wrong, just that there are more deities in FR then what is on that list.

Now, on the other side of the argument, I do agree that the Player's Guide says he can't be a deity but as I said, there are LATER novels that say there ARE deities in the Abyss even though the Player's Guide claims that there are no deities in the Abyss. So, as I've said more then once in this thread, until WOTC can decide which pieces of lore they are using, I don't believe anything they write about the planes since planar lore for FR for the current cosmology changes almost every time a new sourcebook or novel comes out.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Aug 2006 17:29:50
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  17:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I think the amount of vacillating as to who's a god and who isn't undermines whatever the latest verdict happens to be. And perhaps suggests that it isn't a simple yes/no matter -- which is most plausible to me. I think the answer to 'Are the elemental lords gods?' is also 'Yes and no'.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  17:59:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
This thread has gone around in circles for 8 pages... Maybe we should just give up and wait for a better answer to come down from WotC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  19:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message

"Like you said, realmslore can never be overruled by non-realmslore"

That is so absurd...everyone seems to forget that the Realms is not a game but a campaign world in the game of D&D...and the “core” rules always overrule realmslore...

When the game went from 1st to 2nd Ed. and the barbarian, thief-acrobat, monk and assassin class was taken out so did they disappear in the Realms...when 3rd Ed. came out and changed the rules that a druid can be NG, NE or N then the Realms changed and so did the druid circles and limits to the number of high-level druids when 3rd Ed. removed that rule. And for pity sake, because of the Races of Dragons book there is suddenly a big RetCon and now Bahamut has a big presence in Damara along with bahamut PrCs and the dragonborn PC race (should be a template)...Was Bahamut even mentioned in Rage novel series?

....and there is another thread in Candlekeep explaining how Kaanyr Vhok went from a fighter/rogue/wizard (which was new canon modified from 2nd Ed. canon) to a fighter/sorcerer (even newer canon from a newer 3rd Ed. book) which shows that a RetCon happens after every publishment of every new resource

In 2nd Ed. the Outerplanes linked every campaign world (to a greater or lesser extent) and Planescape was the campaign "world" based in the Outer Planes thus anything in Planescape had a possible ripple effect in the Realms and thus could become Realms canon...Realms canon does not have to actually appear in a book stamped with a "Forgotten Realms" logo

Please don’t tell me that Realms canon is sacred...it is a living collection of facts and details about a D&D campaign world that is always being adapted to changing game mechanics, “core” editions and novel/author visualizations. And the challenge to figure out the mess of “Orcus” in the Realms will take charting the canon about Orcus, the drow goddess and the Bloodstone heroes through three editions of D&D mechanics, rules and canon

I copied this from that Kaanyr Vhok thread, I thought it was pretty (ironically) smart

Retcon = retroactive continuity - a correction that says "this is how it is and how it always was - there was never a different version out there. I don't care if you're staring right at the entry in the old sourcebook that gives those stats: they never existed - these new ones are the ones you use, dammit!"

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

This thread has gone around in circles for 8 pages... Maybe we should just give up and wait for a better answer to come down from WotC.

I really don't think that will happen...as I don't think the writers want to step over each other’s toes...this argument has been growing for almost if not over 20 years

I think this debate/problem will never be solved as long as people keep picking and choosing D&D game mechanics from over 3 editions to prove their point...it becomes as redundant as philosophizing over scripture in the Bible...and everyone knows how circular those arguments can be

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page