Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Prestige
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  22:25:37  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drummer Boy:
quote:
<snip> you can always create your own prestige class, as long as it's well thought-out, not unbalancing in your campaign, and you have the DM's permission.

Have you seen some of the prestige classes people have created and published on the Internet? Ugh!

My favorite would have to be the Assassin. I'm only familiar with the ones in the DMG.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  07:54:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What did you think of the Elemental Summoner I linked to then? I'm curious to know what actual players think of it. Since I don't really know how to use it, I can't make a judgement on it . . . . Save for the fact that this person obviously put in a lot of time, effort, and planning into its creation.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  22:00:52  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't play D&D any more than you do. The only books I have beyond the 3 Core are FR-related. I know nothing of using prestige classes in actual gaming.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  06:49:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Elemental Summoner, is particulaly good for those players who wish to rely a lot on Elementals and other outsiders, to perform much of the combat they will be involved in. It seems to utilise much of what would be expected for a major summoning class, much like the 'Demonologist' PrC.

The class features seem well balanced and really the define the class as a master of conjuration magics. The feats seem a little basic and plain to begin with, but get better and much more complex as the class proceeds in levels.

All in all, an interesting class to use. I have already put it on the list of useful PrC for my next campaign, as I am eager to see how it performs in actual game play.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  10:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll tell him that, when I finally get around to emailing the author. I've been meaning to express my delight on something (non-D&D) that he created.

::Now where did I put my ring of non-procrastination?::

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  10:45:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::The Sage steathly slips the ring back into the Bookwyrms pockets of his robe, then quietly walks away down the hall::

Do you know the author then?,

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  11:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I just ran across his website for another reason, and noticed that he had a page on D&D as an aside. I clicked, I looked, I linked. I'll have to get around to that letter of apreciation soon.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2003 :  16:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have the Bladesinger class info at hand?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  07:34:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, what exactly do you wish to know?.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  13:58:28  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lancer from the war book, The Sheild Bearer form the war book, and the snipe from the war books are all my three fave classes that I have seen so far. All three are very strong and non-magical based classes. Well done. They can be found in AEG's war book.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  14:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine would have to be the incantatrix, from Magic of Faerun. Other candidates would be the planar champion(from the Manual of the Planes) and the verdant lord and geomancer(from Masters of the Wild).
Go to Top of Page

shadow258300
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  21:17:23  Show Profile  Visit shadow258300's Homepage Send shadow258300 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there are also presitge classes in Dragon Magazine. There are also gobs that are on the net.

When God created man he gave out two gifts. Some he gave intelligence. To the rest, he gave sheer DUMB luck.
Go to Top of Page

shadow258300
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  21:39:26  Show Profile  Visit shadow258300's Homepage Send shadow258300 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To many of the PrC are situational,(sp?) while others are god-awful powerful. Them some are completely useless. My favorite is the Elder Druid. A character that liches himself can cast asa much as he wants. He now can cast all of his spells until he runs out, then take CON damage. Since liches have no CON, he can cast anything in his arsenal. This is a PrC that is VERY powerful, and will overbalance a campaign in no time.

There is also the Mystic Theurge. It is a arcane/divine spellcaster class the makes the character so powerful it's stupid. You have to be able to cast 2nd level arcane an divine spells to take the class. So a 20th level character is technically a 15th level cleric/15th level wizard. Granted there is a trade off though. The effective characrter level that a cleric turns undead is only for the levels of cleric not any Mystic Theurge. Same for the wizards familiar. However all the spells work as a 15th level cleric or wizard. Mighty Powerful!

When God created man he gave out two gifts. Some he gave intelligence. To the rest, he gave sheer DUMB luck.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  14:37:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still have yet to post up the one that I Made. Perhaps I will post it up tonight then when i get home. You can then all bask in my glory. For I shall share it with you all. I made a bit of a powerful class with a major RPG downfall. YOu have to be good at acting, and changing your mind setting to play one of these chars. Which automatically makes most people not even try. Its to hard heh.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  15:20:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I rather like the Duelist PrC. I've a customized character I made for Sage's PebM (currently under review by the same person) that is going to be taking levels in that. He's a Fighter 4/Wizard 5, and since he has an Intelligence score of 20, he'll effectively gain a +5 dodge bonus (since Duelists add their Int bonus to Dexterity for the purposes of AC, like Bladesingers do) when he gets to the next level up stage. (Assuming, of course, that the character doesn't die before then. ) At Character Level 11, he'll take another level in Wizard.

He's a fencer, basically; part of the customization was trading some class features for other feats. This guy may be a fighter, but he has never worn armor or used a shield, and has focused his training on the rapier. He uses the metamagic feat Imbue Weapon (a d20 feat) to channel touch spells into his weapon and strike with it. (That way, if his attack roll beats the full AC as well as the touch-AC, the target takes damage from the weapon as well.)

I've put a lot of thought into this guy, and I've made sure that every character feature is reflected in his background. The story's important, but I use the specifics of game info to drive who and what the characters are. He's a complicated sort, and I think he's going to be fun to play.

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2003 :  01:50:48  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did non of the females like the Hathran?The elite witches of Rashemen.
Sorry boo!!
I like the PrC Purple Dragon Knight myself.Its almost like being a Paladin but alignment is more flexable.More leadership skill needed.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2003 :  02:41:47  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadow Dancer, or Assassin
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  02:45:43  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arteris

Shadow Dancer, or Assassin

Hey, I remember them from Dune.Did you have the "Emperor of Dune"
game? Shadow Dancers are bad news,like a doppleganger with Assassin skills.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  04:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope I didnt. Also... Common misconception is that all Shadow Dancers are bad or evil assassins and crap. This moron who used to play with us came up to me one session and said in these exact words(And in a pompus tone like he knew everything) "Basicly.. Shadow Dancers are the evilest people around, they can kill in the blink of an eye" I was like.. "..Uhh... No, they arent like Assassins where they have to be evil to join the prestige class, if you read the DMG it says they may use their abilities in anyway they want" and the last Shadow Dancer I had was the nicest guy you could ever meet... Unless of course you made fun of his goofey tatoo :oP (Also, he continued to argue the point with me untill the DM came over and hit him with the "meta game stick A.K.A. wiffle bat" :oP)
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  04:29:34  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whole different animal then.The ones on Dune are masters of deception
and like a guild of trained Assissans.There is a movie clip of one
trying to kill one of the Sardaukar generals.Thats just a little about
them but since its not the same,no need to finish.

Go to Top of Page

zhentar reborn
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  05:05:33  Show Profile  Visit zhentar reborn's Homepage Send zhentar reborn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Purple Dragon. What? Purple Dragon? What in the name of Ao is a known Zhentilar veteran doing admiring the Purple Dragon prestige class?

Well my fellow scribes, I'm a moron! I just can't get my head around all of this new multi-multi-multi-classing. It's just a question of not enough fluid intelligence left! I'm a meat and potatoes kind of gamer anyway. Fighter or wizards, you know just the basics. And the purple dragon description allows for it to represent elite soldiers from any area!

So if any of you ever find yourselves up around the Moonsea and are challenged to single combat by a Zhentilar veteran, just yell: "Hey, Zhentar it's me (insert name here) your 'ol buddy from Candlekeep!"

Think what you've always thought, and you'll be what you've always been.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  01:03:00  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zhentar reborn

Purple Dragon. What? Purple Dragon? What in the name of Ao is a known Zhentilar veteran doing admiring the Purple Dragon prestige class?

Well my fellow scribes, I'm a moron! I just can't get my head around all of this new multi-multi-multi-classing. It's just a question of not enough fluid intelligence left! I'm a meat and potatoes kind of gamer anyway. Fighter or wizards, you know just the basics. And the purple dragon description allows for it to represent elite soldiers from any area!

So if any of you ever find yourselves up around the Moonsea and are challenged to single combat by a Zhentilar veteran, just yell: "Hey, Zhentar it's me (insert name here) your 'ol buddy from Candlekeep!"

You must have me mistaken with someone else...
I never claimed to be a Zhentilar veteran.Maybe I misunderstood and you were talking to someone else.I don't go near the Moonsea this
time of year!!!

Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2003 :  23:15:38  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I favor the Windwalker prestiege class.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  00:31:49  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm partial to the Planeswalker prestiege class in MotP just because it's the title... I'm a old fan of the Magic the Gathering series and devout follower of Urza, of course lacking that i'd have to say hhhmmm well
followed by Blackguard DMG, Fang of Lolth() S&S, Alienist T&B, Acolyte of the Skin T&B, and that about it...
their actually in the order so.. Blackguard ( cause they a kewl evil paly), Fang of Lolth ( cause then no matter what race I can justifibly serve Lolth and not be immediatly killed by all drow, they'd wait a few seconds), Alienist ( cause they have that far out connection witht the far realms... Far out Far Realms... DDUUUDDDEE!)
Acolyte of the Skin ( cause you become a fiend without being a fiend... plus you could try to muck around in infernal politics)

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  00:33:19  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tempest is the coolest to me. you can fight like a huricane with two weapon. but forsaker is quite a good class if you dont like magic. you get a ability bonus with every level. quite amazing. but you cant use magical stuff but you learn to use your weapons as if they were magical

Punish me if you will, for my hands are not clean. But deny me not my revenge!"
-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  04:14:20  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cardinal,I too like the planeswalker!

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  14:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Just shuts their plane down to make cool little stones* Now I rule you all hehe. Anyway. No. Said it before say it again. I like mundane classes. Like Sheild bearer, Sniper, Jester, and The Lance. Just something about Mundane a$$ kickers that makes me happy.

Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  15:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two questions William i will be gratefull if you answer.
Where can i find purple dragon prestige class
the second is a little bit dumb question but do all the purple dragons have to take this prestige class first?

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  23:24:15  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jander Sunstar

the second is a little bit dumb question but do all the purple dragons have to take this prestige class first?

No problem,FRCs book 2e page 49, and no its not a dumb question because not all who serve in the purple dragon knights have this prestige class and it isn't necessary to serve.
Any Fighter,Ranger,Paladin,Bard,Cleric,or Rogue can become one.
It says Sorcerers and Wizards tend to join the War Wizards though.
Any Non evil and non chaotic alignment.The only ones it leaves out as a class are Barbarians,Druids,and Monks.

Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  09:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by William of Waterdeep

quote:
Originally posted by Jander Sunstar

No problem,FRCs book 2e page 49, and no its not a dumb question because not all who serve in the purple dragon knights have this prestige class and it isn't necessary to serve.
Any Fighter,Ranger,Paladin,Bard,Cleric,or Rogue can become one.
It says Sorcerers and Wizards tend to join the War Wizards though.
Any Non evil and non chaotic alignment.The only ones it leaves out as a class are Barbarians,Druids,and Monks.

Thanks a lot William. I m preparing an adventure in cormyr. So ý dont want my players know more than me. I m grateful for your help

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000