Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jormungand
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  03:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Jormungand's Homepage Send Jormungand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey, just dropped in to say hi to everyone. I've been looking for a few forums to join for awhile, and this one seemed pretty nice, and filled with inteligant people. I hope I can become part of your community and become an active member. Thanks!

Like my new contacts?

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  03:43:40  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
**chuckles to himself**

Ha always late eh, Drummer Boy? Well who's late this time?"

**clears his throat**

"Ahem"

"Welcome to Candlekeep, the greatest repository of knowledge in all the Realms.

I am Artalis, feel free to call on me for assistance if you like.

Enjoy your stay."

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  03:50:44  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*can't help but laugh a little* Well Artalis, it seems that you've beaten everyone to the punch this time.

Well met and Welcome to Candlekeep Jormungand! If ever you need any help, feel free to ask and I'm sure that the scribes (myself included) would be willing to help you find the answer.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Lost Elph
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  03:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Lost Elph's Homepage Send Lost Elph a Private Message  Reply with Quote
welcome friend! yes every one here is really nice...but sometimes a bit weird....like myself hope you will say and that your say will be grand!

I`m not lost, my dreams are.

I am one of those people who go through life unseen, but I don`t think of it as a bad thing, no I think of it as an opportunity
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  03:58:53  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep! If you are in seek of knowledge, this is a good place to gather it. I hope we may bump pathes again in these most prostegous halls.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  04:22:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Ahem*

Welcome to these halls of infinite knowledge.

[Hehe, I finally got a chance to say that before someone else! ]

By the way, I like your signature. Very amusing.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 12 Mar 2003 04:22:58
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  06:09:11  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Jormungand and welcome to Candlekeep.

I must say that I really like your name. For those of you who do know, Jormungand is the original name of the great worm of Norse mythology.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  07:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Echon

For those of you who do know, Jormungand is the original name of the great worm of Norse mythology.

For those of us who do know? If we know, why tell us?

And for further information, it's better known as "the Midgard Serpent" due to the fact that it encircles the entire world (Midgard is what the Norsemen called Earth), and actually bites it's tail, as it lies beneath the sea.

It's also equated with the Ouroboros, one of the symbols of infinity. It's shown as a worm, snake or dragon biting or swallowing its own tail, and can also mean universal nature, completion, perfection, and/or totality. It's probably where we got the sideways-figure-8 symbol ( the actual name escapes me at the moment) for mathematical infinity

The symbol of the serpent biting its own tail first appeared in the New Kingdom of Egypt, then Phonecians took it and gave it to the Greeks (they're the ones who named it Ouroboros (or uroboros), meaning tail-eater). They considered it the Great World Serpent encircling the earth, associated with the world-ocean.

I assume it somehow got up to the Norsemen . . . how, I don't know, as I don't know anything beyong that, but hey, that's a gap of (at the very least) a thousand years. Plenty of time for an idea like that to spread that far.

[sighs happily] I love mythology, don't you?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 12 Mar 2003 07:04:48
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  07:44:33  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Jormungang! Don't be afraid by this VERY warm welcomes, sometimes we can be a little quieter
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  08:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We can? That doesn't seem right . . . these threads are always --

What?

Speak up, Zemd, I can't hear --

Huh? Oh! Um, yes, right. We're very quiet here. Yessir, no reason to be scared off, nope nope nope.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  08:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep Jormungand! Im sure youll find much Realmslore within these walls and make many new friends

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  08:40:51  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, i meant calm Quiet wasn't the right word

You tell that there's no reason to be afraid, but when you count the number of members who stopped posting right after there fist post, i think that we should calm down sometimes!!!

By the way Jormungand, Artalis is happy because is ALWAYS late: when a newbie arrive he welcomes him 3/4 days after...
So well done Artalis
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  08:49:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[sigh] Come on, Zemd, lighten up. I'm trying to make him welcome in my own way. My own long-winded, more-information-than-anyone-ever-asked-from me sort of way.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  09:48:47  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

For those of us who do know? If we know, why tell us?

And for further information, it's better known as "the Midgard Serpent" due to the fact that it encircles the entire world (Midgard is what the Norsemen called Earth), and actually bites it's tail, as it lies beneath the sea.

It's also equated with the Ouroboros, one of the symbols of infinity. It's shown as a worm, snake or dragon biting or swallowing its own tail, and can also mean universal nature, completion, perfection, and/or totality. It's probably where we got the sideways-figure-8 symbol ( the actual name escapes me at the moment) for mathematical infinity

The symbol of the serpent biting its own tail first appeared in the New Kingdom of Egypt, then Phonecians took it and gave it to the Greeks (they're the ones who named it Ouroboros (or uroboros), meaning tail-eater). They considered it the Great World Serpent encircling the earth, associated with the world-ocean.

I assume it somehow got up to the Norsemen . . . how, I don't know, as I don't know anything beyong that, but hey, that's a gap of (at the very least) a thousand years. Plenty of time for an idea like that to spread that far.

[sighs happily] I love mythology, don't you?

Ah, but forget the thousand years for a moment, and look at the Celts and their art... and I don't mean the contemprary Celts (as in Celtic soccerclub)... but the ancient Celts who lived alongside the ancient greeks though were less developed in a civilized way... anyways, their art has a lot of elements that resemble the infinity symbol. Knots without a begining or an end which are impossible to unravel... Add a little texture to the knots and they resemble snakes etc... Rather then the symbol coming from the Greeks or the Phonecians, it might have been a paralel development, or, and that is what I suspect, have an even older comon ancestor...

Yes, I love mythology too , and ancient Europe as well...

Oh yes, also welcome to the halls of Candlekeep Jormungand.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  09:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes, good point, Mumadar. Sometimes (read often) I overlook the obvious.

And yes, I know about the Celts. It's not just the famous football (American version) team. (To the Americans: And it's pronounced with a 'K' sound! It's 'Kelts,' not 'Selts'! grr)

(Hmph. Idiot Americans.)

[Bookwyrm seems to have forgotten that he, too, is an American . . . .]

Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  14:09:18  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Jormungand, to these great walls of Candlekeep. I hope ;you find the knowledge you seek here.

To Artalis: Ok, I guess I'm late this time...

To Bookwyrm: IIRC, the mathematical name of a figure-8 is a lemniscate (sp.), but perhaps you were talking about the symbol name, and not the mathematical one.
Go to Top of Page

Avaly
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  15:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Avaly's Homepage Send Avaly a Private Message  Reply with Quote

/looks up at the long list of welcomes and sighs

I think I am the late one this time . I guess I have been caught up in the Candlekeep Inn. mmmm who can I blame! MUMADAR! Yeap, I can blame him. :)

/runs away

Welcome to the Candlekeep form...you shall find everyone one willing to help with your questions...

Honor to all,
Avaly Nightstar
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  19:10:31  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it would appear that someone has beaten me to it, but.....

Welcome, Jormungand, to these walls of infinite knowledge.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

MidNight
Acolyte

Netherlands
43 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  11:47:17  Show Profile  Visit MidNight's Homepage Send MidNight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep, Jormungand!
I hope you'll enjoy your visits as much as I always do. I'm kind of new here too, by the way. Anyway, welcome!

Love magic for itself. Do not treat it just as a weapon to reshape the world to your will. True wisdom is knowing when not to use magic. Strive to use magic less as your powers develop, for often the threat or promise of its use outstrips is actual performance. Magic is an Art, the Gift of the Lady, and those who wield it are privileged it the extreme. Conduct yourself humbly, not proudly, while being mindful of this. Use the Art deftly and efficiently, not carelessly and recklessly. Seek always to learn and create new magic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000