Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragons of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  13:08:59  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

Ummm... during the ToT I'm sure in previous canon references (notably the intro to the novel The Alabaster Staff) that Tiamat slew Gilgeam, not the other way around as stated in that DoF excerpt from the Wizards site. Like, huh?

Otherwise, yay! Tchazzar's back! The player of the Chessentan cleric in my campaign is going to be a little concerned.

Gilgream and Tiamat had 2 goes at each other in the first round during the time of troubles Gilgream won and Tiamats divinity was split up amongst 3 dragons however when the Time of Troubles ended and AO introduced his "You are only as powerful as the number of worshipers you have" rule Gilgream took hit in divine rank and Tiamat came back and killed him

Oh. *blush*
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  19:30:25  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

So, no comments on the Dragonfall War and whether or not I succeeded in weaving into Realms history?
This section is awesome!
I think you have crafted a seemless explanation for the Dragonfall War. I love the whole history. Wish there was even more of it.

I also love how you have canonized Tom Costa's idea that Marduk was an aspect of Bahamut and have more firmly intertwined him with the Untheric gods in opposition to Tiamat.

I am also fond of the Tearfall origin of dragons from eggs that fell in a meteor shower. While I understand the origin is not definitive, I like how it strengthens the case for it while keeping with alternate explanations mentioned in the original Draconomicon.

Was also great to see what happened with Lareth.

I will probably be picking up on little things from this chapter for a long time to come.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  00:19:26  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

[quote]Grayson Richardson gets a bit of credit for that idea. I liked his "drop to paragon/archvillain / bump back up to deity" explanation from the WotC boards a while back.

--Eric
That made my day!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  01:27:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of the Roll call of Dragons has been posted in August and beyond

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060804a

Edit: Sweet mother of Samaster Eric! I love the Pic of your 2 Black Friends from Eye of Mykrul!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 05 Aug 2006 02:44:44
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  04:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krashos, CR 14, Living, Male Adult Blue, Ched Nasad, North Underdark. Is he named after who I think he's named after?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  04:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

Krashos, CR 14, Living, Male Adult Blue, Ched Nasad, North Underdark. Is he named after who I think he's named after?

yes

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  05:18:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yep, named after Albert Schweitzer. A wonderful human being.

-- George Krashos (no relation - to Albert Schweitzer)

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  06:05:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed, he is.

You can thank Eric. (The original reference for Krashos was in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark)

I like the fact that George exists as a blue dragon of the Morueme clan, currently sifting his way through the ruins of what remains of Ched Nasad...

I want to run an adventure there some day.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  06:38:49  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will Krashos be slain? *gasp*

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  08:09:30  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm quite pleased that the section of the list in this preview includes Moraughaloth and Kastrandrethilian. The former is a notorious copper dragon prankster. The latter is a philosophical silver dragon paladin. These were two of a small number of references in the book that were inspired by my home FR campaigns.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 05 Aug 2006 08:09:44
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  08:10:25  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Will Krashos be slain? *gasp*

Not by my hand.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  08:48:10  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope Old Sage feels the same.

Though it would be really rather amusing to come onto these boards and say, "I slew Krashos!"

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  09:37:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hope he does too.

quote:
Though it would be really rather amusing to come onto these boards and say, "I slew Krashos!"
It'd make a great sig on any FR message board.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  14:29:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Yep, named after Albert Schweitzer. A wonderful human being.

-- George Krashos (no relation - to Albert Schweitzer)

I was trying to come up with something like that, but I couldn't think of anything funny enough.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  14:32:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I'm quite pleased that the section of the list in this preview includes Moraughaloth and Kastrandrethilian. The former is a notorious copper dragon prankster. The latter is a philosophical silver dragon paladin. These were two of a small number of references in the book that were inspired by my home FR campaigns.

That's cool... Other than Ed's stuff (of course!), I wonder how much other home campaign stuff designers have slipped into the Realms... I know Gamalon Idogyr was, as I recall, Steven Schend's first PC, but that's the only reference I know of, off the top of my head.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  14:51:57  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well darn. I was all set up for Krashoes to be an old copper wyrm.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  22:38:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think all designers draw on the familiar for their work. I know that in terms of names, I've snatched some from a MUD I patronise, and also used anagrams of people I know. I think it's excellent that Eytan used stuff from his home cmapaign. It's the only way that the Realms as a shared world will grow and prosper - and it helps that Eytan is a darn good designer. His dragon names, for example, are seamlesly Realmsian. Top job!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  23:29:23  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some stuff from Paul Jaquays's campaign is in FR5 The Savage Frontier and DQ1 The Shattered Statue. Some of Jeff Grubb's contributions may be from his campaign. Maybe Tim Beach's in the Pages from the Mages compilation. Bob Salvatore's in The Accursed Tower, I think.

Edited by - Faraer on 05 Aug 2006 23:30:12
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  01:02:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just picked up my copy of Dragon's of Faerun and from my first scim through it looks like a great addition to the collection. I'm certainly glad the Steel Dragon has finally been statted.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How about "I coupled with Krashos"?

That'd be kewl!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Aug 2006 03:32:07
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  04:10:32  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you were playing a blue dragon, I suppose that would make sense.

Or if Krashos took another form.

The lech!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  05:40:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Exactly. I'm sure there's plenty of...him...to go around, even if one isn't a dragon.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  06:17:57  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  06:42:01  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Exactly. I'm sure there's plenty of...him...to go around, even if one isn't a dragon.

Ahem... doesn't this belong in the "Sex in the Realms" thread. :)

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  06:42:33  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

I just picked up my copy of Dragon's of Faerun and from my first scim through it looks like a great addition to the collection. I'm certainly glad the Steel Dragon has finally been statted.

I'm glad to see it's available in some places. Now I can stop biting my tongue.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  06:44:00  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I think all designers draw on the familiar for their work. I know that in terms of names, I've snatched some from a MUD I patronise, and also used anagrams of people I know. I think it's excellent that Eytan used stuff from his home cmapaign. It's the only way that the Realms as a shared world will grow and prosper - and it helps that Eytan is a darn good designer. His dragon names, for example, are seamlesly Realmsian. Top job!

-- George Krashos

That's really nice of you to say George. I guess it helps that I spent the last three years reading (or re-reading) basically the entire FR novel list. That's a good way to get your mind thinking in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  12:30:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

That's cool... Other than Ed's stuff (of course!), I wonder how much other home campaign stuff designers have slipped into the Realms... I know Gamalon Idogyr was, as I recall, Steven Schend's first PC, but that's the only reference I know of, off the top of my head.

I seem to recall that the term Abeir-Toril came from Jeff Grubb's home campaign.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  12:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I seem to recall that the term Abeir-Toril came from Jeff Grubb's home campaign.

So did Waukeen, if I remember correctly. A great addition to the realms.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  14:15:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And Erlkazar (or at least the bones of it) was my original Realms campaign from the late 80s, and most of my notes became that 3rd book in Lands of Intrigue.

I hope more books are as lore-laden as DoF in the future. Good trend, that, as the gods know we don't need more feats or prestige classes.

SES
who again lauds Eric and Eytan on a job well done

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  16:30:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

quote:

And Erlkazar (or at least the bones of it) was my original Realms campaign from the late 80s, and most of my notes became that 3rd book in Lands of Intrigue.
And, as I recall, the undersea realms in Sea of Fallen Stars were your baby as well.

quote:
I hope more books are as lore-laden as DoF in the future. Good trend, that, as the gods know we don't need more feats or prestige classes.
That's good to hear.

Let's hope the trend gains enough support to continue into the future.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Aug 2006 16:32:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000