Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragons of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  17:34:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I seem to recall that the term Abeir-Toril came from Jeff Grubb's home campaign.

So did Waukeen, if I remember correctly. A great addition to the realms.

Yes, she did as well. :) It's on the pages of the sages site.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  22:03:01  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steve... Why don't YOU write us some lore-laden supplements? ;) Eh, eh? *nudge nudge*

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  01:25:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I seem to recall that the term Abeir-Toril came from Jeff Grubb's home campaign.

So did Waukeen, if I remember correctly. A great addition to the realms.

Yes, she did as well. :) It's on the pages of the sages site.

Here's the site Kuje refers to:- Pages from the Sages

And here is Jeff's original comments on Waukeen:- The Secret History of Waukeen

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  01:27:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Steve... Why don't YOU write us some lore-laden supplements? ;) Eh, eh? *nudge nudge*

Right now... I'd be happy enough to read more fiction from Steven's quill.

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Aug 2006 01:28:35
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  02:06:25  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Right now... I'd be happy enough to read more fiction from Steven's quill.

I have a lot of novels to read still.. Sourcebooks are the kind of thing I can pick up, read a little, flip through, put down, etc. Not so much with novels.

And I miss sourcebooks like Cormanthyr. *Sad*

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  02:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too. I love "readable" sourcebooks, although I can admit that they may not be the most bankable (according to Sean Reynolds).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Aug 2006 02:20:20
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  02:24:21  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Reynolds is probably entirely correct.

But that doesn't mean I enjoy catering specifically to the masses for money. I think a company can find a medium in providing for a niche market without wanting to make as much money as is absolutely possible. I'm the type who likes really well-written, fluffy products, even if it's only two a year.

But I guess that's sort of the same argument between Big Bussinesses and Small Private Bussinesses.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  02:46:59  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A group of people likes lore-heavy books, some of which are among the most popular TSR ever published. A group of people likes rules tinkering. If Wizards still held to the 'crunch=all' philosophy legend reputes, its recent Realms sourcebooks would be different. Instead, it tries to cater to all of its internally defined player types, which are pretty much as described in Robin's Laws of Good Game-Mastering and Dungeon Master's Guide II.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  02:55:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

I just picked up my copy of Dragon's of Faerun and from my first scim through it looks like a great addition to the collection. I'm certainly glad the Steel Dragon has finally been statted.

Im almost afraid to ask but

How bad are the 2 Dragonspawn they included in DoF?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  03:06:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I have a lot of novels to read still.. Sourcebooks are the kind of thing I can pick up, read a little, flip through, put down, etc. Not so much with novels.
Oh, I can agree with that. I often do that myself... perhaps moreso with the 2e sources, than those of 3e.

But Steven's return to fiction isn't something I'd like to see fade to quickly. And given his *status* with WotC and FR product development, at the moment, lore-filled novels are the more likely avenue for Steven to provide us with more of his glorious Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  03:20:07  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

I just picked up my copy of Dragon's of Faerun and from my first scim through it looks like a great addition to the collection. I'm certainly glad the Steel Dragon has finally been statted.

I'm not sure what would make you think they are necessarily bad? Just because they asked us to make Spawn of Tiamat doesn't mean that we didn't put thought into them. While geared towards that concept, the two monsters (well three actually, but the two in the book) would be perfectly acceptable independent creatures. I don't think the word "included" is really accurate. It's not like the monsters were castoffs from MMIV.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 07 Aug 2006 03:21:14
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  03:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

I hope more books are as lore-laden as DoF in the future. Good trend, that, as the gods know we don't need more feats or prestige classes.
On the contrary, we could use **many more** Prestige Classes....if someone like you wrote them as they were intended to be written (which is to say as a tool for World Building, with a strict eye on the setting in question and a firm desire to reflect the unique nature of a region or organization within the mechanics of the PrC being written).

Feats...yeah, probably too many feats.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  03:34:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

quote:

quote:

I'm not sure what would make you think they are necessarily bad? Just because they asked us to make Spawn of Tiamat doesn't mean that we didn't put thought into them. While geared towards that concept, the two monsters (well three actually, but the two in the book) would be perfectly acceptable independent creatures. I don't think the word "included" is really accurate. It's not like the monsters were castoffs from MMIV.

I have a rather negative view of the "Spawn of Tiamat" concept especially as its a concept that could have quickly and easily been covered with Half Dragon or Draconic templates. (Instead of the huge number of Spawn of Tiamat creatures that appear in MMIV) Faning the Flames is the rather absurd look in Bluebarney Godslayer Huge mini in WODQ

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  03:34:31  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Steven says no more PrCs are needed... Then I can't help but agree with him. ;)

I tend to trust a bit more in the opinions of those designers whose stuff I really enjoy. (Ed, Steven, Eric, off the top of my head.)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  03:43:01  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C'mon Dan, we know you'd agree with a turtle if it held the same opinion on PrCs. :p

For Dragons of Faerűn I don’t know that there’s need for PrCs. But beyond that? Yeah, I think it’d be cool to put the challenge to Steven (and George, et al) because they’ve got the lore knowledge that ought to be required from a designer before giving ‘em a shot at PrC writing for Realms Sourcebooks.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  03:49:47  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
C'mon Dan, we know you'd agree with a turtle if it held the same opinion on PrCs. :p

True, I guess, since if a turtle somehow held the same opinion, I'd hardly change my own just to be contrary. ;) And I have made up my fair share of PrCs for my own world, but I just tend to prefer core classes instead.

quote:
For Dragons of Faerűn I don’t know that there’s need for PrCs. But beyond that? Yeah, I think it’d be cool to put the challenge to Steven (and George, et al) because they’ve got the lore knowledge that ought to be required from a designer before giving ‘em a shot at PrC writing for Realms Sourcebooks.

But the question is... What areas of Faerun still have magical traditions that are so different from what's already been printed that new PrCs are needed?

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  04:01:28  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we're veering of the reservation...

The thing is, PrCs aren't 'magic only' things. They're meant to reflect **any** unique region, city, organization, cabal, etc... within a given setting as a means of better including Player Characters in the campaign world.

PrCs bridge the gap between setting and mechanics, by putting players right in the center of both.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled scroll.

:::

It was nice to see such high CRs for several Dragons. While this might seem obvious (Dragons=powerful), it's still good for me to have a list of Dragons that could easily mop the floor with the PCs in my campaign, whether in or out of their lairs.

My FLGS doesn't have this book yet, but soon....can't wait!

J. Grenemyer

Edited by - Sanishiver on 07 Aug 2006 04:02:02
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  04:54:55  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you didn't like the ones in MMIV than you won't like these ones either. They're essentially the same thing. I don't have major beef with them, as a matter of fact, I have little interest in them whatsoever.

As to the other posts on this thread, we understand, some people like lore, some poeple like stats and mechanics, great. We already have dozens of threads that turn into this conversation, do we really need this one to turn into the same thread as well?
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  05:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's not like the monsters were castoffs from MMIV.

Mirror Tiamat: "Away with you 'other' Dragonspawn, I have more than enough to conquer the puny world of Aerth as it is!"

Faerunian Tiamat: "I suppose I could use them, with Bahamut's return I need more minions. My shiny arch-nemesis will rue the day he heard of Dragonspawn!" ::Five-headed Draconic Cackle::

Edited by - Archwizard on 07 Aug 2006 05:28:30
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  05:44:13  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

quote:
It's not like the monsters were castoffs from MMIV.

Mirror Tiamat: "Away with you 'other' Dragonspawn, I have more than enough to conquer the puny world of Aerth as it is!"

Faerunian Tiamat: "I suppose I could use them, with Bahamut's return I need more minions. My shiny arch-nemesis will rue the day he heard of Dragonspawn!" ::Five-headed Draconic Cackle::

To tell you the truth, I use existing ideas I had for monsters in FR and matched them to the Spawn of Tiamat concept. The two monsters - the bluespawn earthglider and the redspawn birther - would have been perfectly germain creatures for FR even if they didn't have the spawn association. I think that if you look at those two monsters in the book, you'll see that they are perfectly usable. In fact, I tied them specifically to the Altar of Scales. In that way, they are more a matter of Tiamatan clergy experimenting with draconic hybrids. Neither of the ones in DoF were actually created by Tiamat herself. Both were the result of experiments in draconic breeding at the temple of Tiamat under Unthalass. The latter serves a rather significant plot element in the activities of that temple.

Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  06:08:22  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No worries, I was just in a light mood. As I am sure many others here, myself included, appreciate the thought you've given the spawn to integrate them into the setting. I like the preview and I'm sure the book as well. It changed my initial impression from "Blah, WotC Year of the Dragon tie in" to "Cool, new information and developments with a 3e update of Faerunian dragons, parts of the Old Empires, and beyond."
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  07:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any timelines in DoF particularly ones dealing with events in 1372-1375?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  09:23:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1375 DR?

Aren't you looking a little too far ahead?

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Aug 2006 09:24:27
Go to Top of Page

Mentalist
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  09:33:10  Show Profile  Visit Mentalist's Homepage Send Mentalist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't usually do this, but I think a few things need to be said about this book. First of all though, I'd like to say that I really enjoyed it, and it was worth every penny. Also, thanks to Eytan and Eric for being so involved in the forums here at Candlekeep. It really helps to know what's inside the head of the designers of my favorite setting. Anyway, here goes...

What I Really Wanted

This may seem juvenile and a little backwards, but what I was really looking forward to was artwork for the Mist and Steel Dragons. We still don't have any 3E artwork(that I know) to go for either of these dragons, and considering that 16 other pieces of artwork depicted types of dragons that we already have plenty of artwork for, I really expected there to be at least one piece for these. I know I'm probably alone on this, but art really helps me visualize, and I can't really feel comfortable with a mental image with nothing to go on but text. What also would have been nice is more or different art for the one depicted gem dragon, as the art in the MM2 is not quite so detailed and not very realistic, and the depiction of the crystal dragon in DoF in not really any better, it's still kind of obscure, so it's still hard to visualize.

What I Didn't Like

I'm probably alone on this too, but I guess I'm just really conservative with my Realms material. This isn't critique so much as an opinionated rant. I can't stand the Planar Dragons, which are now in the Realms(actually as of Rage, Rite, & Ruin), because I don't see them as anything worth admiring. They seem like designers of the Draconomicon needed to fill out the book and felt obligated to include dragons that applied to the outer planes, even though it didn't make sense that there happened to be one type of dragon tailor-made for each outer plane, no more, no less. It just doesn't seem realistic, and definately doesn't seem necessary considering all the dragon-types we already had. Well, now we have these guys. We didn't have 'em before, Alaundo(the prophet) sure as heck didn't know about 'em, but here they are.

Also, integration of RoD material, I don't think should be canon. FR is being flooded with all of this new material that doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason, it all just seemed like cool ideas on a subject that apparently there weren't enough ideas for, so they filled out RoD with these weird races that remind me of Mexican food in that they are all the same thing prepared different ways. I mean, how many times can you say "races of dragon" before you get tired of humanoids with scales and run out of explanations of conception for such races? But I digress. The Dragonfall war I feel similairly about. If I want the Dragonfall War in my Realms campaign, I'll put it in there, ya know? I can take suggestions, but not laws. Now the dragonfall war is canon(I assume), although the prime novels for such a subject(Year of Rogue Dragons novels) will have never mentioned it. Why not go ahead and make Jerrens, Vasharans, Illumians, Goliaths, and Raptorans canon while we're at it?

The last thing I had a problem with, I guess is Tchazzar being a deity by virtue of a PrC. Don't get me wrong, it was a good idea and the PrC seems made for him considering that his was a dragon-turned-immortal, but I think that undermines the history that he was became a deity because he got people to worship him, not because he ate his hoard, the former being the reason I had alway thought he was so cool.

What I Liked

Maps. Chapter 3 I think was my favorite chapter, not simply because of the fact that it centered around Tiamat and the Mulhorand/Unther conflict, but because it had maps detailing particular places and geography of those regions, with a detailed appearance very similair to the map of the Border Kingdoms. Also, the dungeon maps were really detailed and helpful, and I'm thankful for the inclusion of many lairs/dungeons in this book.

Artwork. In regards to the artwork that WAS included, well, I thought almost every piece was awesome.

Also, most all of the content I really enjoyed reading, especiall the orders of dragonkind, of which my favorite would be undoubtedly the Blood of Morueme. Also, the initiate of Tchazzar feat was nifty. I like initiate feats.

Backtracking, I didn't think I'd be interested in Chapter 1(or the appendix), because I could never bring myself to read all the way through the online Wyrms of the North articles, but I was surprised. It grasped me well enough that I read through every single entry, and though I would have appreciated another gem dragon or two, I was more than happy with what I read. I admit to not reading through Ch. 5-7 yet, but I'll get to that soon!

Overall, good book.

Edited by - Mentalist on 07 Aug 2006 09:34:35
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  09:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, timelines, yes.

I'm all about compiling a historical schedule of events leading to, and leading from, the campaign I'm currently running. It just so happens that my campaign does inadvertantly (damn!) touch on the War of the Dargon Queen, Dracorage, etc. Bugger.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  09:45:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

1375 DR?

Aren't you looking a little too far ahead?

Blackstaff brings us up to the last days of 1374 so its possible that DoF may contain events for the next year

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 07 Aug 2006 09:48:21
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:04:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mentalist

I don't usually do this, but I think a few things need to be said about this book. First of all though, I'd like to say that I really enjoyed it, and it was worth every penny. Also, thanks to Eytan and Eric for being so involved in the forums here at Candlekeep. It really helps to know what's inside the head of the designers of my favorite setting. Anyway, here goes...

Thanks very much for the thoughtful feedback!

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:10:09  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Mentalist

--Eric

Yes. It's nice to finally hear people giving some feedback.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

--Eric

Yes. It's nice to finally hear people giving some feedback.

Hey Amazon wont ship until tomorrow!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:46:50  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this include any information about Ylveraasahlisar the Rose Dragon (history wise), or can anyone tell me where I can find more information regarding this dragon? The FRCS only mentions that he ruled Calimshan from -1838 to -1726.

I'll probably get the book anyway, as my current lore on the Dragons of Faerun is lacking. I haven't included many in my campaigns because of this. Though, that could because none of mine have ever lasted past 10th level.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000