Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragons of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  11:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While we're at it, could anyone tell me if there's much information on the actions of Gargauth which led to the Dracorage of 1018 that levelled Peleveran in the Shaar?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  11:19:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mentalist

I can't stand the Planar Dragons, which are now in the Realms(actually as of Rage, Rite, & Ruin), because I don't see them as anything worth admiring. They seem like designers of the Draconomicon needed to fill out the book and felt obligated to include dragons that applied to the outer planes, even though it didn't make sense that there happened to be one type of dragon tailor-made for each outer plane, no more, no less. It just doesn't seem realistic, and definately doesn't seem necessary considering all the dragon-types we already had.

Something I've pointed out before is that the two most common types of critters in D&D are dragons or things related to dragons, and undead. I know it's Dungeons & Dragons, but I still wish monster creators would branch out a bit more.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  11:32:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

Does this include any information about Ylveraasahlisar the Rose Dragon (history wise), or can anyone tell me where I can find more information regarding this dragon? The FRCS only mentions that he ruled Calimshan from -1838 to -1726.

Calimport accessory [2e]. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/FR_Downloads/download.asp?id=tsr9589

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  11:32:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

While we're at it, could anyone tell me if there's much information on the actions of Gargauth which led to the Dracorage of 1018 that levelled Peleveran in the Shaar?

Cult of the Dragon [2e]. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/FR_Downloads/download.asp?id=tsr9547

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  11:46:46  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

Cult of the Dragon [2e]. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/FR_Downloads/download.asp?id=tsr9547

Thanks, is that a 'no' then?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  13:25:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calimport accessory. Available for free download. Wooly will be along directly to show you where.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  13:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He should get a percentage.

(And I wonder how much money I've made rpgnow.com and paizo.com...)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  13:42:16  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Steve... Why don't YOU write us some lore-laden supplements? ;) Eh, eh? *nudge nudge*

Answer 1: Because WotC hasn't asked me to do so.

Answer 2: I'd rather write novels, thanks.

Steven
Who's fairly certain he can pack at least 70% as much lore into a novel as he could into a supplement

PS: Thanks for the support on answer 2, Sage.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 07 Aug 2006 13:45:38
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  14:07:44  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven
Who's fairly certain he can pack at least 70% as much lore into a novel as he could into a supplement

... A Cormanthyr trilogy would rock, wouldn't it, Steve? ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  14:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...This may seem juvenile and a little backwards, but what I was really looking forward to was artwork for the Mist and Steel Dragons. We still don't have any 3E artwork(that I know) to go for either of these dragons, and considering that 16 other pieces of artwork depicted types of dragons that we already have plenty of artwork for, I really expected there to be at least one piece for these. I know I'm probably alone on this, but art really helps me visualize, and I can't really feel comfortable with a mental image with nothing to go on but text. What also would have been nice is more or different art for the one depicted gem dragon, as the art in the MM2 is not quite so detailed and not very realistic, and the depiction of the crystal dragon in DoF in not really any better, it's still kind of obscure, so it's still hard to visualize.

No artwork for the dragons specifics of the Realms?
Oh, great! Back in the Champions of Valor, we don“t gain an artwork of the Equines of the Realms. (But, look at this! We have an artwork of raptorans, goliaths and ilumians... soooooo useful).

And now, we stay without a picture of steel and mist dragons? Great! Maybe we could retrieve all pictures of Elminster, Khelben and the Seven Sisters and include images of Mialee, Henett and the others in the realms books...

Chosen of Moradin, a dwarf that is really grateful with books like Power of Faerūn and Dragons of Faerūn, but that don“t agreed with some little details...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  14:59:39  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be interesting to know why the Dragonfall War has been integrated into the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  15:07:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, personally, like of the concept of the Dragonfall War.

If it is wasn“t included in the book, I will do it myself, in my campaigns.

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 07 Aug 2006 15:08:13
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  15:37:25  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

It would be interesting to know why the Dragonfall War has been integrated into the Realms.

My best guess: Bahamut & Tiamat have always been at each others throats.

This is my guess, I have not have a chance to read the book yet and I don't even own the MMIV.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  15:46:26  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

My best guess: Bahamut & Tiamat have always been at each others throats.

This is my guess, I have not have a chance to read the book yet and I don't even own the MMIV.

The Dragonfall War is, stated in the Races of the Dragon tome.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  16:09:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Calimport accessory. Available for free download. Wooly will be along directly to show you where.

-- George Krashos

Or, Na-Gang could just reference Eric's earlier reply on the 07 Aug 2006 : 11:32:28.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  16:11:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Either is good for me. But as I said earlier, given your status with WotC... novel writing seems to be the only avenue, at the moment, for you to provide us with more Realmslore through FR novels.

Which is only further supported by...

quote:
Steven

quote:
No problem. I recall those details specifically because the undersea realms detailed in SoFS are one of my favorite parts of the sourcebook itself.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Aug 2006 16:12:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  17:00:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

I'm getting well-known for sharing this link, aren't I?

Wizards downloads page

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  19:06:17  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I almost did it just to spite you, Wooly. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  19:33:47  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got my copy, and so far I like it. Between the Red Hand of Doom and this new tome I think I have the basics of a new campaign. It does not seem as immediately useful as my favorites at the gaming table, but rather a book I'd like to delve deeper into and enjoy way into 4e.

Edited by - Snotlord on 07 Aug 2006 21:48:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  21:27:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have my copy in hand in about 45 minutes. For once, my FLGS was able to get something in with no issues from WotC or UPS!

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  23:16:10  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I can't stand the Planar Dragons, which are now in the Realms(actually as of Rage, Rite, & Ruin), because I don't see them as anything worth admiring. They seem like designers of the Draconomicon needed to fill out the book and felt obligated to include dragons that applied to the outer planes, even though it didn't make sense that there happened to be one type of dragon tailor-made for each outer plane, no more, no less. It just doesn't seem realistic, and definately doesn't seem necessary considering all the dragon-types we already had.

Something I've pointed out before is that the two most common types of critters in D&D are dragons or things related to dragons, and undead. I know it's Dungeons & Dragons, but I still wish monster creators would branch out a bit more.

You should be happy with the new monsters in the book. One is a hive mind of giant earthgliding termites and the other is a smoldering dinosaur with similarities to a deepspawn. Another is basically a new form of abishai. Few are actually true dragons or dragon typed creatures. Their histories do relate them to dragons, but they are not actually dragons.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 07 Aug 2006 23:25:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  00:21:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, whichever one of you guys did this part, I salute you! I just did a quick flip thru the book, and one section, in particular, jumped out at me: the write-up on the Confluence. This is one bit I was really hoping for but didn't dare ask for!

See, I've always like the half-dragon, ever since it was presented in the old Council of Wyrms boxed set (and in some ways, I prefer the 2E half-dragons). The article "Part Dragon, All Hero" in Dragon 206 was a fave of mine, for that reason. And in that article, a mysterious group of Waterdhavian half-steels was introduced: the Confluence. Sure, we never had any real info on them, but for some reason, that secretive group of half-dragons stayed in my mind.

It occurred to me a couple weeks ago to ask if the Confluence was going to be in the book (I only skimmed the ToC when it was presented), but I didn't ask, because I figured the group was too obscure to get brought back. I am happy that I was wrong!

I love the way this group was explained. The founding works well, and having them work against the Unseen is a great idea!

The Happy Camper template can be applied to this Giant Space Hamster!

In other news, a typo in an image description also jumped out at me.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Aug 2006 00:23:51
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  02:34:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric originally wrote up the Confluence for inclusion in "City of Splendors: Waterdeep" but it didn't make the editorial cut. Fortuitously, he was asked to contribute to DoF and so it reared its draconic head once again.

Oh, and there is no such thing as a reference being "too obscure".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 08 Aug 2006 02:35:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  02:47:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric originally wrote up the Confluence for inclusion in "City of Splendors: Waterdeep" but it didn't make the editorial cut. Fortuitously, he was asked to contribute to DoF and so it reared its draconic head once again.

Ah, that explains a lot. Well, I'm glad it finally saw print. And for this material, DoF is just as appropriate as CotS:W!

quote:

Oh, and there is no such thing as a reference being "too obscure".

-- George Krashos

Well, considering that the only other reference I know of is that bit in Dragon, it's hardly something that could reasonably be expected to be expanded upon.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  02:48:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and Velsaert having clawed hands... A great reference to Ed's answer to my long-ago question about the sage of Baldur's Gate!

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  06:32:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are formally invited to Tchazzar's house warming party

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mw/20060801x

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  07:42:19  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To anybody who has the book, in the roll call of Dragons. What is Garnet's (Garnetissilar?) entry like? (FYI, he's the Good Red Dragon of old Myth Drannor).

Thanks.

Monch
Go to Top of Page

Mentalist
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  10:27:58  Show Profile  Visit Mentalist's Homepage Send Mentalist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is almost nothing on him. He has an entry in the appendix, that says his domain is of course in Cormanthor, and he is a unique red/blue wyrm. Now that you mention him, much to my surprise, it says that he is living.

Edited by - Mentalist on 08 Aug 2006 10:29:47
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  10:38:30  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To the tune of Twilight Zone

Steven, Eric, Eytan : Care to elaborate.

quote:

There is almost nothing on him. He has an entry in the appendix, that says his domain is of course in Cormanthor, and he is a unique red/blue wyrm. Now that you mention him, much to my surprise, it says that he is living.

Edited by - monch9 on 08 Aug 2006 10:57:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  11:21:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven Schend has commented on Garnet in the past:

quote:
Garnet was a wholly unique creature unlike any to exist before or since. He was a chimera of dracoforms, and the only reason he was red in color and blue in shape was this: Saeval Ammath had many secrets never revealed to elves outside of his clan, and often only to a few select members of his immediate family. Saeval's grandfather--an exiled elf who was born outside of Cormtanthor and never trod its paths--was a half-dragon, born of a silver dragon mother. He was a great tracker and wizard of Ardeep (Sure hope I'm getting my dates/names right, but I'm winging it here from half-remembered notes that don't survive; George and Eric can correct me before this thread closes. ) and patriarch of a loyal and good branch of the Ammath clan in those western woods.

Saeval came to Myth Drannor to learn more magics but also to cure a great sorrow of his own--the silver dragon (long publicly a family friend but in truth his own great-grandmother) had died protecting him and others from battle-maddened Hlondathan mages scavenging for any magics they could find (and they also took their trade caravan to be smuggling weapons and magic to the Cormanthan elves, their enemies in the Crown and Scepter Wars). Saeval preserved the dragon's soul in a brand-new kiira, and spent the next 50 years or so trying to find a way to restore her to life. He studied under many of the great wizards of Myth Drannor and COrmanthor of all races and he wandered far and wide (rumor has it he venture far onto the Great Glacier and as far south as Chondath).

When he found a blue dragon's egg in his wanderings, he magically kept it from hatching or developing, and he spent a decade of casting to alter its form into something powerful enough to house the silver dragon's soul. While he managed to match the power of the red dragons inside the form of the blue dragon and make other changes to allow for the magical transfer, he either could not or did not change the dragon's gender within its shell.

When the egg finally hatched in 348, Garnet was unique. Physically, he had to relearn everything to adapt to this new form, but mentally, (s)he had all the knowledge of her previous life. Thus, even at hatchling stage, he had access to the special abilities of a very old silver dragon (except polymorph self, as the magics used to create his new form locked him into one shape; and damage reduction, which is a function of the physical body, not the mind).

Thus, even while Garnet is now physically a wyrm, (s)he's gone into epic levels for certain special abilities. Assuming, of course, that he still exists...

Hope this explains why Garnet isn't either evil or the start of a whole new race of dragons. While one could postulate that he could mate with either reds or blues and have offspring of that hue/form, it's far more sensible (given the origin and attendant problems) to state that Garnet, while healthy in all ways, was born sterile.

Whew.... Geez, Wooly....simple email and I expected it'd be a short response, but nooo.....

Hope these answers suit folks; if not, then they're just the ramblings and wild ideas of a fellow fan (which they are, in truth, as I've no official standing with this stuff other than to say what I meant / planned when I wrote this stuff 8 years ago).

Steven

and...

quote:
As far as I'm concerned, Garnet's still out there somewhere....seeking atonement and penance for his unwitting role in Myth Drannor's Fall. He's still relatively young for a dragon, and he's definitely a wild card in every sense of the word (in terms of power, attitude, and form). By all means, work him into your campaigns!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000