Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragons of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  19:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Eric!

Well, given the proportions between chromatic, mettalic, and other species of dragons (like the gem dragons), I find that "a little bit" is something that satisfy me.

But be aware, heroes! The rare ancient amethist kineticist/psichic warrior dragon is something that make run away even heroes with the new powers of the Fat Old Dragonslayer Prestige Class

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 21 Jul 2006 19:55:42
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  00:55:47  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there is probably more psionics information in this book than most FR sourcebooks, though it's not a ton of material. We'll have to wait for the final cut to see exactly how much.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  05:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have a blast with this book....literally.

(Jer's soon to be dead players----> )

But, keeping with lore, of course.

That said, I'm wonrdering how much the Draconomicon was used as a reference, and if the authors will be adding more game rules for Draconic abilities, feats, etc...

I've found I enjoy it most as a DM when I can take good rules and really use them to get my players hearts beating fast, especially with Dragons.

Also, is it too early to say if there'll be info on Dragons from the Stonelands?

Thankee in advance!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  08:25:30  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

I'm going to have a blast with this book....literally.

(Jer's soon to be dead players----> )

But, keeping with lore, of course.

That said, I'm wonrdering how much the Draconomicon was used as a reference, and if the authors will be adding more game rules for Draconic abilities, feats, etc...

I've found I enjoy it most as a DM when I can take good rules and really use them to get my players hearts beating fast, especially with Dragons.

Also, is it too early to say if there'll be info on Dragons from the Stonelands?

Thankee in advance!

J. Grenemyer

Are you referring to the 3.5 Draconomicon? If that is the case, it's sort of an indirect thing. Richard Lee Byers used a lot of the creatures in that book in his trilogy. That did expand what sorts of dragons lived in the realms. We certainly did use that book as a resource, but we also used lots of 1E and 2E sources.

What sort of rules are you hoping for? If you want prestige classes and lots of feats, you might be a bit disappointed. Unless things have changed in editing, this certainly wasn't a major focus. There is a decent helping of monsters, traps, lair hazards, spells, magic items, full dragon statistics (like Nartheling), and adventures. The book is definitely more of a DM tool, but there is a good amount of spells and items that will be useful for players fighting dragons.

I can't really comment on specific regions. A lot of editing has taken place since last December when most of the writing was finished. Also, I tend to remember my own work more easily than that of others.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  13:33:01  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I think there is probably more psionics information in this book than most FR sourcebooks, though it's not a ton of material. We'll have to wait for the final cut to see exactly how much.

Now, this have catch my attention! There is something more that you can say about the psionics information, or I´m crossing the dreadful NDA line?

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  14:51:43  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And another question just poped in my mind:

There is something that you can share with us about what will be stated about the Church of Tchazzar? I´m an old fan of this devious dragon, and in my campaign, he´s still alive, and want a little revenge against a certain five-headed goddess...

Chosen of Moradin, DM of a campaign in Waterdeep where some of the players are a neutral red wizard and a priest of Tchazzar.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  15:39:22  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:

Now, this have catch my attention! There is something more that you can say about the psionics information, or I´m crossing the dreadful NDA line?

I can't say much, but I can say that gem dragons are discussed in the book.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  15:40:33  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And another question just poped in my mind:

There is something that you can share with us about what will be stated about the Church of Tchazzar? I´m an old fan of this devious dragon, and in my campaign, he´s still alive, and want a little revenge against a certain five-headed goddess...

Chosen of Moradin, DM of a campaign in Waterdeep where some of the players are a neutral red wizard and a priest of Tchazzar.

I think you'll be happy. I can't say any more than that.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  15:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Eytan!

I will be expecting for this book!
It´s a pity that probably I´ll see it here in Brazil only one or two months after the release...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  02:01:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Does Dragons of Faerun provide any info on the sale of Dragon eggs in Dwarven Town of Glen in Mistledale?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  02:18:24  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you referring to the 3.5 Draconomicon?
Aye, that’s the book I had in mind. Glad to see it was used as a resource...lots’ of good stuff for DMs in that book.

quote:

What sort of rules are you hoping for? If you want prestige classes and lots of feats, you might be a bit disappointed. ... There is a decent helping of monsters, traps, lair hazards, spells, magic items, full dragon statistics (like Nartheling), and adventures. The book is definitely more of a DM tool, but there is a good amount of spells and items that will be useful for players fighting dragons.
I’m not interested in Prestige Classes really; more interested in feats or new rules that can be applied to Dragons. All the better if such new mechanics fit the lore in some way or another. I’m very glad to see lair hazards, spells and magic items included.

Curious, are the adventures spread out? That is, stuff for low, mid, high, very high and Epic Level play?

quote:

I can't really comment on specific regions.
Well I appreciate your taking the time to answer all the same. And besides, if there’s little or no info on Dragons from the Stonelands, I can always adapt something else from the book.

Thank you!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  07:08:57  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Does Dragons of Faerun provide any info on the sale of Dragon eggs in Dwarven Town of Glen in Mistledale?

I don't recall anything about that, but it has been a while.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  07:14:10  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

quote:

Are you referring to the 3.5 Draconomicon?
Aye, that’s the book I had in mind. Glad to see it was used as a resource...lots’ of good stuff for DMs in that book.

quote:

What sort of rules are you hoping for? If you want prestige classes and lots of feats, you might be a bit disappointed. ... There is a decent helping of monsters, traps, lair hazards, spells, magic items, full dragon statistics (like Nartheling), and adventures. The book is definitely more of a DM tool, but there is a good amount of spells and items that will be useful for players fighting dragons.
I’m not interested in Prestige Classes really; more interested in feats or new rules that can be applied to Dragons. All the better if such new mechanics fit the lore in some way or another. I’m very glad to see lair hazards, spells and magic items included.

Curious, are the adventures spread out? That is, stuff for low, mid, high, very high and Epic Level play?

quote:

I can't really comment on specific regions.
Well I appreciate your taking the time to answer all the same. And besides, if there’s little or no info on Dragons from the Stonelands, I can always adapt something else from the book.

Thank you!

J. Grenemyer

For the most part, all new crunch supports the stories of the individual dragons and draconic groups of Faerun (with a decent amount geared towards fighting them as well). Not a ton of feats really, though a few should make it in there (exact numbers unknown).

There are two adventures in the book - one at mid levels related to the Cult of the Dragon and one a high levels (but not epic) related to Tiamat. As mentioned, Eric has an adventure that could have been in the book, but will make an excellent Web Enhancement. For more info on that, check out Dragon Magazine for a preview. Between those three adventures, there should be coverage for characters from 5th-13th, though the range is easily expanded by using the scaling suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  23:06:44  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right on!

Thank you!

J. Grenemyer

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  23:20:59  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally have a copy (three actually) and this book is pretty. Eric deserves a lot of credit for some very impressive parts of the book.

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  05:08:02  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Table of contents released on the Wizards site:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060726a

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  06:40:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a good line-up to me.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  07:14:56  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second Krash.

I wasn't too excited when I heard about this book at first - but it seems like the authors (with the ever-talented and lore-filled Mr. Boyd, and the up-and-coming Mr. Bernstein) put a lot of work into detailing the history, the lore... Well, everything that makes FR, FR.

Good job, guys. Maybe I'll have to pick this one up with Christmas or Birthday money or.. er.. Something. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  14:02:56  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I´m echoing GothicDan and George comments! I´m very happy to see Tchazzar in the list of the realms dragons (and a good amount of pages about his church)! Thanks, Mr. Boyd and Mr. Bernstein.

Chosen of Moradin, waiting the arrival of a certain draconic book in the brazilian shores

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  14:12:06  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I´m echoing GothicDan and George comments! I´m very happy to see Tchazzar in the list of the realms dragons (and a good amount of pages about his church)!

So the interesting thing about the FRCS that I nevered noticed until writing this book was that the two dragons Tchazzar devoured in Powers & Pantheons had returned. This inspired some fiendish thoughts ...

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  14:20:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I finally have a copy (three actually) and this book is pretty. Eric deserves a lot of credit for some very impressive parts of the book.

As does Eytan. He really captured the Realms "feel", IMHO.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  14:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

So the interesting thing about the FRCS that I nevered noticed until writing this book was that the two dragons Tchazzar devoured in Powers & Pantheons had returned. This inspired some fiendish thoughts ...

--Eric

Now I´m feeling literally teased!

Chosen of Moradin, rearranging his priorities and sparing some cash to pre-order this book

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  05:46:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading through the Table of Contents, I am SO FREAKING READY for this book to come out. This just looks awesome.

(No, its not the most eloquent way to voice my enthusiasm, but the if the table of contents is any indication, this book is exactly what I wanted it to be . . . I really am excited to get my hands on it)

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 27 Jul 2006 05:47:27
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  12:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
15-page dragon list!
quote:
As does Eytan. He really captured the Realms "feel", IMHO.
I hope so! I think it's mostly a matter of temperament which authors do.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  17:26:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

15-page dragon list!

Yeah, I was noting that, too. I guess we'll have to update the FR dragon database...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  18:18:19  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

15-page dragon list!

Yeah, I was noting that, too. I guess we'll have to update the FR dragon database...

Don't rush to do that quite yet.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  04:46:24  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

15-page dragon list!

Don't rush to do that quite yet.

--Eric

Yea. There are a lot of tie-in articles and Web Enhancements planned in relation to the book as well.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  05:14:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your taking requests for DoF WE content how about doing Faerunian write ups for the Dragon deities and their churches

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  09:09:33  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

If your taking requests for DoF WE content how about doing Faerunian write ups for the Dragon deities and their churches

That is certainly a strong possibility, considering that some of that material didn't make it into the book.

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  15:30:05  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Year of Rogue Dragons events in Cormyr and the Western Heartlands? I've stalled my Cormyr campaign for this book, and I'm hoping for an updated timeline and lots of adventure ideas and possibilities.

Preferably for epic level characters
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000