Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragons of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  23:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if WotC has an in-house generator or not.

I do know I've seen at least one game designer (working as a freelancer) ask others on his forums if they had any sort of custom spreadsheet for this sort of work.

I doubt freelancers have access to any WotC-provided design aides. I also doubt the editors (speculating here folks) do a point by point review of stat-blocks, esp. on stat-intensive books like Dragons of Faerűn.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  23:58:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

I don't know if WotC has an in-house generator or not.

I do know I've seen at least one game designer (working as a freelancer) ask others on his forums if they had any sort of custom spreadsheet for this sort of work.

I doubt freelancers have access to any WotC-provided design aides. I also doubt the editors (speculating here folks) do a point by point review of stat-blocks, esp. on stat-intensive books like Dragons of Faerűn.

J. Grenemyer

Well, I don't know if the people that do Classic BattleTech have the HMP program provided by FanPro/WizKids... But the program is commercially available. And, unless I am mistaken, it was created independently, and then adopted by FASA (who was publishing the BT stuff, at the time).

So it doesn't have to be something created in-house, or exclusive to the company... Just something that's acknowledged as the program to use.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  19:32:11  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC does have a spreadsheet that helps with some basic things, but I've never been able to get it work on my computer. I don't know that it can accomadate the complexixity of an Ancient Green Dragon Druid 4/Rogue 4 or an advanced Great Wyrm Gold Dragon Sorcerer 20.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  04:21:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a web enhancement, and I'm liking it!

Roll Call of Dragons -- A spreadsheet of the dragon list from the back of Dragons of Faerűn, with added references, in rtf, pdf, and Excel formats!

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  04:24:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know from using NPC designer that a program that seems like it works fine can have some serious glitches from time to time. I have made a ton of great NPCs with the program, and then one time made up a dwarf that had a +30 racial bonus to his stonecunning skills (talented dwarf that one).

As Eytan pointed out, if you try to make, say, a great wyrm red dragon Sor 20, the program may have a kinniption and never shoot out any stats. On the other hand, if you just make a 40th level character with a bunch of different PrCs, its doesn't really cause any problems.

Another problem that comes up is intelligence scores and skill points, as I have read several times that its very difficult to get the program to "remember" that those extra skill points aren't retroactive.

Now keep in mind, I love NPC Designer, for example, but statblocks are a pain.

I still love 3.5 though.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  04:30:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would imagine that it is something that could be fine-tuned, given enough time... To go back to HMP, in the four years I've been using it, I've found one error, and it was something the programmer did: a rounding error that changed BV by a single point.

Granted, making a Mech is a hell of a lot less complicated than a D&D character, and WizKids/FanPro don't keep adding rules every other week... But it does prove that a good program can be written, especially if the program writer(s) are working closely with the game designers.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  05:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting there are at least 3 Dragons in the list which have "Upcoming product" written in the source column

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  06:37:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Interesting there are at least 3 Dragons in the list which have "Upcoming product" written in the source column

Yes, interesting that. Considering one of them is from my noggin' and I don't have any articles or products on the go currently. I'd take the "Upcoming product" thing with a pinch of salt.

This roster should actually be more complete than the one in DoF. IIRC, we added some more to this one before it was finalised.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  06:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know how you can sort the Excel spread sheet so the lairs are listed alphabeticly? ie I want to list it so all the Dragons with Waterdeep lairs are together and all the Dragons living in Amn are together etc

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  07:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I selected Column G and inserted it into Column A.

From there I selected the whole sheet and hit the sort A-Z button.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 14 Sep 2006 07:06:19
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  08:10:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yes, interesting that. Considering one of them is from my noggin' and I don't have any articles or products on the go currently. I'd take the "Upcoming product" thing with a pinch of salt.

Shh! Don't tell that to the editor. ;-)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  11:22:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Anyone know how you can sort the Excel spread sheet so the lairs are listed alphabeticly? ie I want to list it so all the Dragons with Waterdeep lairs are together and all the Dragons living in Amn are together etc

Or, to keep the columns in the same order, select all the cells with data in them (the easiest way to do that is to click on the blank cell that's over the numbers and to the left of the numbers). Go to the Data button, and select the first option, sort. Then just select the appropriate column. You can organize it by up to three different columns. "Ascending" is A to Z, descending is the other way. And since you've selected every cell, be sure the "Header Row" option is selected -- that'll leave the first row alone, and let you sort by column titles.

Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  15:59:28  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Question :

How comprehensive is this list? From the novels side, the 2 dragons from the book "War in Tethyr" don't seem to be in the list. Both are gem dragons. I remember one being Chenowyn who's a companion of Queen Zaranda. Chenowyn's mother is another gem dragon who poses as a wizard. (Forgot her name).

Monch

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  16:15:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven Schend had them fly off to some unkown location in Lands of Intrigue, which can be downloaded for free on the Wizard of the Coast's site.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  18:38:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monch9

Question :

How comprehensive is this list? From the novels side, the 2 dragons from the book "War in Tethyr" don't seem to be in the list. Both are gem dragons. I remember one being Chenowyn who's a companion of Queen Zaranda. Chenowyn's mother is another gem dragon who poses as a wizard. (Forgot her name).

It's as comprehensive as we could make it. I know we missed a few. I would like to start a new scroll specifically dedicated to corrections and additions to the Excel file. After we get a ways in, I'll give WoTC a revised version and hopefully get them to update it.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  13:25:11  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Boyd I ahd a quick question for you. I was wondering if there was a time table for the web enhancement devoted to Chaulssin? I have been looking forward to it since it was announced.
Well anyways keep up the awesome work

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  13:26:45  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladedancer

Mr. Boyd I ahd a quick question for you. I was wondering if there was a time table for the web enhancement devoted to Chaulssin? I have been looking forward to it since it was announced.
Well anyways keep up the awesome work

No idea. Sorry.

Glad you liked the book.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  02:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up the book today after debating it for a while (bad day = purchase to cheer me up) and I'm glad I did. I've not got through all of it yet, but I like what I have read, being chapters 1 and 2, and flicking through the rest. The appendix is really useful and I really like the listings of the dragons' hoards - great ideas for more interesting treasure. I like the cover art, that dragon clearly means business. I've only read the first adventure so far, but I liked it. As for the stat blocks, I know they're very hard to do for such complex and powerful creatures, but there are too many mistakes there, and the general level of typos is not exactly great. However, these things do not spoil my enjoyment of the book.

One thing that really piqued my interest was the reference on p44 to Valamaradace, saying Alustriel had named her as her heir. What exactly does 'heir' mean in this context? Is it to carry on building the Silver Marches or something more explicit like Valamaradace will take over as head of the Council should something happen to Alustriel?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Brakkart
Acolyte

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2006 :  00:02:07  Show Profile  Visit Brakkart's Homepage Send Brakkart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

One thing that really piqued my interest was the reference on p44 to Valamaradace, saying Alustriel had named her as her heir. What exactly does 'heir' mean in this context? Is it to carry on building the Silver Marches or something more explicit like Valamaradace will take over as head of the Council should something happen to Alustriel?

Seconded. I'd love to know what that statement refers to as well. I kow Alustriel won't be head of the Silver Marches for that much longer, and that Taern is now head of Silverymoon itself. So if Valamaradace is her heir, what exactly does she stand to inherit?

Read my blog at: http://tauntonian.blogspot.com Here I post ramblings, book reviews, song lyrics and assorted weirdness.

Check out my "Rise of the Snakemen" Forgotten Realms Story Hour. http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100196
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  17:05:03  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brakkart
Seconded. I'd love to know what that statement refers to as well. I kow Alustriel won't be head of the Silver Marches for that much longer, and that Taern is now head of Silverymoon itself. So if Valamaradace is her heir, what exactly does she stand to inherit?

Peace and quiet?
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  17:12:03  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The rulership of the Silver Marches...as it is her territory anyway..read the "Dragons of the North Arcticle"

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20040225a

and maybe even her place as choosen of Mystra too?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  19:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed Icingdeath is not in the Appendix of dragons living or dead that have appeared online, in sourcebooks or in novels....odd.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  20:09:39  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyways, I just finished reading through it, all the while taking notes down for stuff I can use for my campaign. Truth be told, I never took so many notes (it is a campaign themed around Tiamat)....this book was well worth the $$$$ I bust my rear for every day :)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  20:17:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I noticed Icingdeath is not in the Appendix of dragons living or dead that have appeared online, in sourcebooks or in novels....odd.

Yes, he is... Row 174 on the Excel sheet: Ingeloakastimizilian, “Icingdeath”.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Sep 2006 20:17:23
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  01:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

quote:

The rulership of the Silver Marches...as it is her territory anyway..read the "Dragons of the North Arcticle"

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20040225a

and maybe even her place as choosen of Mystra too?

I had read it; what I referred to in DoF is a recent development after the Dracorage of 1373, or at least that's my reading of it.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  17:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote this first to Eric...

I have a big question I would love to get answered (and I searched the forums and couldn’t find if you had given out the answer before).

Could you tell me generally where the giant and dragon kingdoms you mentioned on page 7 are located in Fearun/Toril? I vaguely remember in (2E) Giantcraft it mentioning there was a kingdom per major giant species, I’m guessing the other names are

Giant Kingdoms

Darchar
Grunfesting
Helligheim
Nedeheim
Ostoria (I have an idea the range of Ostoria’s territory but it would be nice to get it from you)
Rangfjell

Dragon Kingdoms

Caesinmalsvir
Darastriverthicha
Tharkrixghontix

Thanks so very much

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  19:01:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

Could you tell me generally where the giant and dragon kingdoms you mentioned on page 7 are located in Fearun/Toril? I vaguely remember in (2E) Giantcraft it mentioning there was a kingdom per major giant species, I’m guessing the other names are

Most are TBD.

quote:
Giant Kingdoms

Darchar

eastern Amn, IIRC.

quote:
Grunfesting
Helligheim
Nedeheim

Giant's Run Mountains.
quote:
Ostoria (I have an idea the range of Ostoria’s territory but it would be nice to get it from you)

I actually don't have a great feel for Ostoria's boundaries, so if you've got some Realmslore coupled with deductive reasoning to point to, I'd be interested.

quote:
Rangfjell

Dragon Kingdoms

Caesinmalsvir
Darastriverthicha
Tharkrixghontix

Rest are all TBD, although the "new ones" can be translated using the articles in Dragon.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 21 Sep 2006 19:01:38
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  19:17:56  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for replying

but I am having a pre-senior moment here...what does "IIRC" and "TBD" stand for again?
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
quote:

I actually don't have a great feel for Ostoria's boundaries, so if you've got some Realmslore coupled with deductive reasoning to point to, I'd be interested.

I'll get that to you ASAP...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  19:55:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I Recall Corectly and To Be Decided. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  19:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

If I Recall Corectly and To Be Decided. :)

thats cool! I was afraid they meant pretty much "you can't get to know"

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: