Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragons of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  15:21:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn
The main book where I found this to be a problem were the frequent references to the Draconomicon* since I don't own this book. I'm confident that the Monster Manual's dragon entries will suffice in this regard though.

We try to be up front about what books are required. The usual list is FRCS, 3 core books, and possibly one or two others. In this case, I think only Draconomicon was required. Above and beyond that, we usually refer to multiple books, but in ways that are simply replaced.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  21:43:09  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn
The main book where I found this to be a problem were the frequent references to the Draconomicon* since I don't own this book. I'm confident that the Monster Manual's dragon entries will suffice in this regard though.

We try to be up front about what books are required. The usual list is FRCS, 3 core books, and possibly one or two others. In this case, I think only Draconomicon was required. Above and beyond that, we usually refer to multiple books, but in ways that are simply replaced.

--Eric

When designing, we sometimes try to include notes with alternative mechanics so that people do not need to own the other books. In this case, the book is marketed as the FR companion to the Draconomicon (and if you read Richard's trilogy, you'd see how much it draws from that book), so some references are bound to happen.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  16:52:45  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trivia Time for the authors : Did the Sage Velsaert of Baldur's Gate appear elsewhere before the publication? If yes where, if no, out of sheer curiosity where did the inpsiration for the name came from?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  17:24:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Trivia Time for the authors : Did the Sage Velsaert of Baldur's Gate appear elsewhere before the publication? If yes where, if no, out of sheer curiosity where did the inpsiration for the name came from?

I don't have the book handy, but I think Velsaert may date back to at least the 2E FOR1 Draconomicon. I know he's been mentioned in passing in several books; I just can't recall which ones. Ed did have this to say about him, a year or two ago:

quote:
Wooly Rupert, Velsaert is an interesting personage. I don’t want to crash into forthcoming Realms projects of which I should say NOTHING more right now by providing too much detail about Velsaert, but let me say this much: most folk in the Realms know him only by his reputation and writings (in the last two decades, he seems to have become more reclusive than he once was), and rumors are arising that whisper Velsaert’s apparent shyness might have something to do with changes to his body (some say talons, some say scales, some say nictating membranes over his eyes, some even speak of a tail) that might suggest a closer connection with things draconic than had been hitherto suspected. However, it’s been said before (by the long-dead wit and playwright Aunselrus of Myratma) that “rumor hisses as menacingly as a harmless grass snake, but sinks its fangs in when least expected, not when heard from most loudly.”

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  20:51:14  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He shows up in several of Ed's Wyrms of the North columns, usually within the first few paragraphs. Google "Velsaert wizards.com".

Note, pay attention to the dragon list at the end of the book as well.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  21:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric & Eytan,

I just got the book -- looks good so far.

(Because it doesn't overlap with Draconomicon the content seems a miscellany rather than a complete treatment. That's probably the best use of the space. How Realms-compatible do you all reckon Draconomicon is, anyway?)

Let me give a couple of quick corrections, in case you don't have them: Sunsettalithanz and Xanscilathampos are female in the dragon list but male in the text. I only caught those because I was skimming for material on the Dales.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  22:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just came back from Chapters.....bought it. This book looks like it will help a lot with my campaign arc I have in mind...especially the portion about Tiamat hehe

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  22:53:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

He shows up in several of Ed's Wyrms of the North columns, usually within the first few paragraphs. Google "Velsaert wizards.com".

Note, pay attention to the dragon list at the end of the book as well.

--Eric

Now that's an interesting development!

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  06:47:31  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Just came back from Chapters.....bought it. This book looks like it will help a lot with my campaign arc I have in mind...especially the portion about Tiamat hehe

Glad you liked that chapter. It is one of my favorite in the book.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  06:49:48  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Eric & Eytan,

I just got the book -- looks good so far.

(Because it doesn't overlap with Draconomicon the content seems a miscellany rather than a complete treatment. That's probably the best use of the space. How Realms-compatible do you all reckon Draconomicon is, anyway?)

Let me give a couple of quick corrections, in case you don't have them: Sunsettalithanz and Xanscilathampos are female in the dragon list but male in the text. I only caught those because I was skimming for material on the Dales.

I think there is a general philosophy that you can import whatever you like into the realms (we've seen explanations for warforged even). When something is published that introduces a new monster into the realms (specifically, one that was published elsewhere previously), the presence of that monster can then be considered canon. For instance, Richard Lee Byers used a whole bunch of the creatures in the Draconomicon for his trilogy. Dragons of Faerun wasn't out, so the Draconomicon was the best source for 3rd edition dragons.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  20:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still, some core books have a natural synergy with a particular setting while others are written with different assumptions or tone. I'm thinking of the All About Dragons chapter rather than the new dragon types and mechanical stuff. How well does it fit dragons of the Realms?

Edited by - Faraer on 23 Aug 2006 20:08:38
Go to Top of Page

jean-loup
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  22:23:35  Show Profile  Visit jean-loup's Homepage Send jean-loup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
somebody's has see in the last chapter the dragon of cormanthor Garnet :living !!!!!!
he do a big sleep isn't it since 714

perhaps a answer somebody please
francais curieux

Edited by - jean-loup on 23 Aug 2006 22:25:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  22:51:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We know Garnet is alive, but there is nothing officially known, beyond that.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  23:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very minor point, but I would have liked to read something more about Antharikkan (the albino black dracolich in the basements of Aencar's Manor). Did he get up to anything during the Rage, or did he just lie low?

And the extra info on dragons of the Dales with the Sisters of Essembra was liked. Guess old Thraxata the Flamefiend is starting to feel her oats, considerig just how active she's been in the Dales of late.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  00:55:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Indeed.

Though Steven provided some interesting tidbits in his scroll the other day -

"HE is still alive, yes, but as to his whereabouts, no one knows. Or if they do, they're not talking for various reasons. (I briefly thought about making him one of the dragons in the Blackstaff ritual, but nixed the idea as too important to cameo without explanation or details (for which there was no room).) In other words, do with him what you will. Heck--he could be trying to assuage his guilt by helping to recreate what he helped destroy inadvertantly, and thus HE is the one trying to find the Highfire Crown and make new baneblades.

Personally, I think he's been busy far away from Faerun, as he's fled the scene of his shame and been occupied for a few centuries fighting and killing enemies of The People either south of Chult or far to the west (maybe even Maztica?). But that's one person's opinion."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  07:56:22  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

Very minor point, but I would have liked to read something more about Antharikkan (the albino black dracolich in the basements of Aencar's Manor). Did he get up to anything during the Rage, or did he just lie low?

And the extra info on dragons of the Dales with the Sisters of Essembra was liked. Guess old Thraxata the Flamefiend is starting to feel her oats, considerig just how active she's been in the Dales of late.

I nearly did an entire dungeon about this instead of the Cliffs of Karthaut adventure at the end of the Cult chapter. I determined that it was way to big and there was too little time to do justice to it in such as short space. I am extremely pleased with how the Cult adventure turned out.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  07:57:21  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Indeed.

Though Steven provided some interesting tidbits in his scroll the other day -

"HE is still alive, yes, but as to his whereabouts, no one knows. Or if they do, they're not talking for various reasons. (I briefly thought about making him one of the dragons in the Blackstaff ritual, but nixed the idea as too important to cameo without explanation or details (for which there was no room).) In other words, do with him what you will. Heck--he could be trying to assuage his guilt by helping to recreate what he helped destroy inadvertantly, and thus HE is the one trying to find the Highfire Crown and make new baneblades.

Personally, I think he's been busy far away from Faerun, as he's fled the scene of his shame and been occupied for a few centuries fighting and killing enemies of The People either south of Chult or far to the west (maybe even Maztica?). But that's one person's opinion."

Steve's reasoning is somewhat similar to the thinking in DoF. We wanted to detail as much as possible, but must also refrain occasionally from stepping on work that might be developed much more fully in a future publication.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  17:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernsteinI nearly did an entire dungeon about this instead of the Cliffs of Karthaut adventure at the end of the Cult chapter. I determined that it was way to big and there was too little time to do justice to it in such as short space. I am extremely pleased with how the Cult adventure turned out.

Well, the adventure was okay, though for me the best part was the brief mention given to the Cult of Dagon. I like the little historical bits that crop up in even the shortest Realms stories and adventures.

And the book is very good.

BTW, talking about Aencar's Manor -- aside from the brief mention given it in both Faiths & Pantheons, and in the FRCS, has anything ever been said elsewhere about the place and its inhabitants? And is there even a suggestion as to how big it is? If it belonged to the "King of the Dales", I imagine it must have been (and still be) a good-sized place.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  17:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best description of it, as with most places in the Dales, is in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  17:58:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The best description of it, as with most places in the Dales, is in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands.

Which is, of course, available for free on the Wizards downloads page.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  23:46:25  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Do you get a dime every time you post that link? ;) But seriously, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  00:43:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Do you get a dime every time you post that link? ;) But seriously, thanks.

If I did, I could prolly quit my job!

Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  05:14:22  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love that my dragons Trinculo and Chalintash make the fantastic list of dragons. Unless I'm missing something, I think this marks the first time any of my writing has affected a sourcebook, rather than the other way around. I wonder, though, that Trinculo is listed as living. That may be true at the end of "The Strength of the Jester," but I somehow doubt it would be the case a few days later...

Edited by - Murray Leeder on 26 Aug 2006 05:18:36
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  09:12:13  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Murray Leeder

I love that my dragons Trinculo and Chalintash make the fantastic list of dragons. Unless I'm missing something, I think this marks the first time any of my writing has affected a sourcebook, rather than the other way around. I wonder, though, that Trinculo is listed as living. That may be true at the end of "The Strength of the Jester," but I somehow doubt it would be the case a few days later...

Whenever it is even slightly unclear what happens to a dragon in a book or story specifically taking place during the rage, we leave it open that s/he might be alive. In someone's campaign, they may wish to play out what happens with a certain NPC. We try not to tread on novel NPCs whenever possible, especially brand new ones. While writing the book, we only had a summary of the third book in the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy. We had to ask Richard Lee Byers what happened to Zethrindor (and I won't spoil it here) to determine how to list him in the book.

The same notion goes for dragons (and other NPCs) in adventures. Just because the adventure is in a book, it doesn't mean that the dragon boss at the end is dead. Adventures are not chronological. You could adapt an adventure written 18 years ago and have PCs meet the dragon at the end in the same manner that they could meet Slavin'Krath'Magaal 18 years from now. I know some people assume that these villains are dead, but their appearance in an adventure just means that they could be killed (like any other monster), not that they will be. After all, PCs don't always succeed.

It's interesting that you mention that this is the first time that your writing as affected a sourcebook. I'd love for people to pick up some of the threads we did in this book. I hope to expand on the Nartheling Beholder war (though it would still be a cool part of a novel), but there are loads of other interesting threads. Because this book was so thorough on dragons, there aren't likely to be many books focusing on the threads anywhere near as much in the future. That means NPCs and plots are there for the picking. This is especially true of the young dragons :) in the book, but also old ones like Protanther and his personal crusade against the creatures of the ice or Claugiyliamatar and her passionate desire to be like the powerful women of Faerun (I hope I spelled that right - I don't have the book in front of me), or of course, the unstoppable Tchazzar.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 26 Aug 2006 09:16:31
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  19:00:21  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something else I forgot to mention before. I *am* happy to see some mention given to Thraxata the Flamefiend, Queen of the Bloodhorn, in both Dragons of Faerun and MM IV. Between those two books and Races of the Dragon (for her kobold worshippers), I should be able to work up a truly nasty adventure/story concerning her.

If nothing else it's good to see just what she was up to during the Rage; and am I wrong to get the idea that green dragons have been a problem in Cormanthor since before the fall of Myth Drannor? (But how did they hide from all the elves and archmages?)
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  19:02:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
and am I wrong to get the idea that green dragons have been a problem in Cormanthor since before the fall of Myth Drannor? (But how did they hide from all the elves and archmages?)

since before the laying of the mythal...

it's all in the Cormanthyr 2E book...read the Tangletrees section..

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Brakkart
Acolyte

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  23:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Brakkart's Homepage Send Brakkart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this has been covered already (as I've not read every post in this thread) but I think I've found a missing dragon from the appendix at the back of the book, namely Jivex the faerie dragon from the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy. Unless he has some longer name that he is listed by that I'm forgetting, he isn't there.

Read my blog at: http://tauntonian.blogspot.com Here I post ramblings, book reviews, song lyrics and assorted weirdness.

Check out my "Rise of the Snakemen" Forgotten Realms Story Hour. http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100196
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  23:18:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brakkart

Not sure if this has been covered already (as I've not read every post in this thread) but I think I've found a missing dragon from the appendix at the back of the book, namely Jivex the faerie dragon from the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy. Unless he has some longer name that he is listed by that I'm forgetting, he isn't there.

Well met

Ahh, I was trying to recall the name of the little fella only last night whilst thumbing through the tome. When I stumbled upon Zyx, my mind was at rest, but now ye mention it...

Is the Faerie Dragon from the Moonshae tomes also listed within? (again, his name of which I can't recall)

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lady Morbannaon
Acolyte

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  23:32:13  Show Profile  Visit Lady Morbannaon's Homepage Send Lady Morbannaon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’ve just finished reading the book, and I think it’s a brilliant addition, and I send congratulations to both Eric and Eytan (Well done guys you should be really pleased with the finished product).

My only question about the book is when the 'Dracorage Mythal' was destroyed for once and for all (pg 10) was the ancient citadel destroyed as well? I know it’s a very small part of the whole book but its really bugging me I hope one of you lot can help answer it for me!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Morbannaon
Acolyte

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  23:36:37  Show Profile  Visit Lady Morbannaon's Homepage Send Lady Morbannaon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Brakkart

Well met

Ahh, I was trying to recall the name of the little fella only last night whilst thumbing through the tome. When I stumbled upon Zyx, my mind was at rest, but now ye mention it...

Is the Faerie Dragon from the Moonshae tomes also listed within? (again, his name of which I can't recall)

Do you mean Newt? He's mentioned in the book (pg 154)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000