Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragons of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  13:57:21  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Wilson

Just a quick question, one that I hope I haven't overlooked anywhere. What exactly does the Tree-Gem (or is it, Gem-Tree, I don't have my book with me right now)look like?

I would like to use it in a dream for one of my player's, but I'm unsure what kind of gem it is, etc, etc, etc. I could make it up, but I want to go by canon if it's available.

I don't think FR9 - Bloodstone Lands describes it. If it's described anywhere, it's probably in H4. I don't have either source handy at the moment.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  14:04:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Eric any chance you can do a Timeline WE (ideally a Timeline similar to the ones found in Powers of Faerun) for YoRD? Id particularly like to see dates for the events you added in DoF ie when Leilon, Callidyrr, Luskan, Saelmur, Mintar, Mirabar, Uluvin where attacked by Dragons etc

Time-wise this can't happen any time soon, unfortunately.

Generally, I understand the interest in this and the reason to avoid this. I usually only get into month-by-month happenings when there's an intricate interweaving of multiple events (such as the destructions and rebuildings of the Twin Towers across DoF, PoF, and Paul Kemp's novels). Otherwise, I usually avoid it to give the DMs more flexibilility and to preserve future flexibility (such as if a novel author goes there).

All that said, I could offer some suggestions if someone (else, not me, lacking time) figures out a month-by-month chronology for RLB's novels.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  15:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just a quick question, one that I hope I haven't overlooked anywhere. What exactly does the Tree-Gem (or is it, Gem-Tree, I don't have my book with me right now)look like?

I would like to use it in a dream for one of my player's, but I'm unsure what kind of gem it is, etc, etc, etc. I could make it up, but I want to go by canon if it's available.

basicly no demons can enter Damara

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  15:30:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

All that said, I could offer some suggestions if someone (else, not me, lacking time) figures out a month-by-month chronology for RLB's novels.

--Eric

Ive done that for the Timeline Im working on

The Rage starts around 14 Marpenoth in the Year of Wild Magic and it ends 6 Nightal Year of Rogue Dragons

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  17:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]

Can Demons be Summoned in Damara?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  00:54:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If I was writing on Damara in 3E, I would change this 2E leftover. A nationwide ward against demons is a huge thing - and kind of takes the fun out of everything. As I recall, the Tree Gem never got statted as such, so the statements on it can possibly be viewed as a tad exaggerated. Also, the Tree Gem found its way to Damara in the 1350s DR. Lots of time has passed since then - lots of time for something bad to have happened to that item.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:

[quote]

Can Demons be Summoned in Damara?

Proably not or if they where summoned they be dismissed

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you're itching to do an update of Damara, Mr. Krashos. I'd buy such a sourcebook.

Maybe it's one of those items you can bypass due to wording interpretation or a devilishly clever loophole.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

If I was writing on Damara in 3E, I would change this 2E leftover. A nationwide ward against demons is a huge thing - and kind of takes the fun out of everything. As I recall, the Tree Gem never got statted as such, so the statements on it can possibly be viewed as a tad exaggerated. Also, the Tree Gem found its way to Damara in the 1350s DR. Lots of time has passed since then - lots of time for something bad to have happened to that item.

-- George Krashos

You could always base it on the Dragon ward that protects Waterdeep just change the effected creature to Demons and make the ward nationwide

I actually had an for a campaign which revolved around the Tree Gem

Basicly the Tree Gems anti Demon Shield will expand to take in any land that recognises Dragonbane royal family as its ruler. During the campaign Imbrar II becomes engaged to Gareth Dragonsbanes daughter (Officially no child has been mentioned) if they ever got married and Gareth Dragonbane died thenthe ward would expand and all the demons living im Impiltur would be banished back to the Abyss

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:20:44  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that rather puts to shame... Any other mythal-like effect I've ever heard of.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Well, that rather puts to shame... Any other mythal-like effect I've ever heard of.

Doesnt Evermeet have something that prevents Drow for entering it?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:31:49  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope. It merely disallows teleportation effects and scrying effects.

But those were direct enchantments by the Gods themselves. I suppose you could well convert them into Mythals in 3E, but was this gem made by a powerful pantheon of gods? (I'm unfamiliar with the module.)

In fact, there's a priestess of Eilistraee on the isle, serving as a secret confidante of Amlaruil herself.

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 18 Aug 2006 01:32:25
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:41:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In fact, there's a priestess of Eilistraee on the isle, serving as a secret confidante of Amlaruil herself.

Note: She was on the isle, she has since left because of the no drow rule. She would have left even more so after the dark elves invaded through Craunabor (gods I spelled that wrong!) Keep.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:50:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Invisible Bulwark, around Oryndoll. 'Tis been described (in DDGttU) as a psionic mythal-like weave.

-- Though, I'd imagine you're now already familiar with that one. ::smirk::

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Aug 2006 01:53:04
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... but was this gem made by a powerful pantheon of gods? (I'm unfamiliar with the module.)

If I remember correctly it was created by Bahamut.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:54:09  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Note: She was on the isle, she has since left because of the no drow rule. She would have left even more so after the dark elves invaded through Craunabor (gods I spelled that wrong!) Keep.

Heh, point taken. :) But, still, there's no *magical* effect preventing them...

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:54:50  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Invisible Bulwark, around Oryndoll. 'Tis been described (in DDGttU) as a psionic mythal-like weave.

-- Though, I'd imagine you're now already familiar with that one. ::smirk::

Ayup.

Though, still, is it as powerful as the effect described here? Completely malleable, with a variable area of effect with no lessening of power..?

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:55:57  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If I remember correctly it was created by Bahamut.

Hm... I'm still a bit iffy of something that powerful being created by a single, not-all-that-powerful entity. Was Bahamut even an official deity, then?

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  02:05:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think where starting to derail this thread

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  02:24:30  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True. Sorry about that!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  18:49:19  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy finally arrived today. The problem with me currently living in The Netherlands is I have to order everything from London. The other problem is the postman only seems to deliver at half-past five on a Saturday. (No, I don't understand it either.)

So far, all I can say is it's a superb cover by Todd Lockwood. And the young lady in the revealing outfit on the back-cover is very eye-catching.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  13:55:42  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You get stuff delivered on saturdays?! *turns green with envy* Curse those bloody conservatives and liberals for turning the Swedish postal service into a private enterprise.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  14:07:33  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the only day we seem to get things delivered. And it's so late in the afternoon you know the postman has been enjoying a bit of Dutch liberality the night before.

Back to the topic - I've given the book a skim-through now. It's OK but references other books a bit too much for my liking. Was it really too much trouble to give the stats for some of the named dragons?

I'll give it a better read this week, if I can.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  16:34:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

So far, all I can say is it's a superb cover by Todd Lockwood. And the young lady in the revealing outfit on the back-cover is very eye-catching.

I agree that her attire is eye-catching. But I can't see anyone actually adventuring in that garb, much less walking into a dragon's lair.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  17:10:24  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It rather depends on the adventuring you have in mind I suppose.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  01:13:20  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

It's the only day we seem to get things delivered. And it's so late in the afternoon you know the postman has been enjoying a bit of Dutch liberality the night before.

Back to the topic - I've given the book a skim-through now. It's OK but references other books a bit too much for my liking. Was it really too much trouble to give the stats for some of the named dragons?

I'll give it a better read this week, if I can.

Unfortunately, stat blocks are incredibly time consuming and most people have poor reactions to a book filled with page after page of them. We thought about doing a lot more, but there are so many dragons, we just picked ones for which we had interesting ideas. As for the references to other books, I guess that's possible. For future reference, which particular other books did you find this to be a problem?

The thing about a book like this (as opposed to a regional book) is that it is dealing with a huge amount of material that has been written about in 1-3.5 edition books. For this reason, we have to reference that material. If you're referring to spell requirements for items (like a heroes of battle spell for a magic item), it's something I like to avoid, but sometimes a spell written in another book is so appropriate that it's hard not to use it. Fortunately, you don't need to have those books to use the items as pretty much all of them describe the abilities rather than quoting the books. We have to reference the draconomicon because we can't give stats to all of the hundreds of dragons in Faerun. We also can't select the top hundred because than you'd only have a book filled with dragon stats.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  02:03:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was there a change among the editing staff, or was this book hurried or something? It's just a minor quibble, but I'm seeing more typos in this book than I normally see.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  09:07:03  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Unfortunately, stat blocks are incredibly time consuming and most people have poor reactions to a book filled with page after page of them.

That's a fair point. It could just be I'm a sad case and like to see a stat sheet for any unique character I'm presented with.

I think my main point here is, as a DM, it's nice to take a ready-to-use character and drop them into a campaign. If the number of books I need to do this double, then I'm more likely to take one of the NPCs that does carry this detail.

I'm used to sourcebooks carrying the statement "requires only the core rulebooks and the FRCS." Dragons of Faerun seemed to require me to have a few more books in my collection. That said, the book does function fairly well as a stand-alone text and a certain amount of referencing is necessary for a book which contributes to a well-established setting.

quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

For future reference, which particular other books did you find this to be a problem?

The main book where I found this to be a problem were the frequent references to the Draconomicon* since I don't own this book. I'm confident that the Monster Manual's dragon entries will suffice in this regard though.

-----
* - I decided not to buy this book since to my thinking it seemed like it just took the dragon entries from the Monster Manual and threw in a few rather silly prestige classes. (Maybe dragon prestige classes are for dragons who are insecure? )

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 21 Aug 2006 09:08:48
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  14:49:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know everyone has their own reasons for buying books and their own criteria on what they like and what they don't like, but in all honesty, the Draconomicon is probably one of the easiest books to defend the purchase of in 3.5 for me. But I understand not everyone has the same priorities or impressions of it.

I am glad though that Dragons of Faerun tied in some material from it.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 21 Aug 2006 14:50:17
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  14:56:00  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I know everyone has their own reasons for buying books

Exactly!

The Draconomicon just didn't appeal to me. I looked at the previews on WotC's website and even leafed through a copy in a bookshop several times but it just didn't tempt me.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000