Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Origin of Members' Names (take two)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  04:46:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, I’ve been mulling this over for some time, and finally I’ve decided to do it. I’ve been very curious as to the origin of the names I find popping up around here -- as well as the avatar pictures used -- ever since I came on this forum nearly a month ago. Then I happened to find a thread that was asking the same thing, only without the avatar bit. Being a new and inexperienced member (I’d only been one for three days) I figured no one would like me cloning an existing thread.

But now I look at it again, and see something that I hadn’t before. Namely, that only forty posts were made to the above thread. That means that only forty-one names (counting the person who started the thread, the esteemed Kahonen) could have been discussed. Actually, it’s even less, as (if I counted right) sixteen posts did not explain names. That means that only a mere twenty-five actually WERE explained. That’s twenty five out of TWO HUNDRED EIGHTY-NINE, folks. And even if you subtract the lurkers (those who haven’t made any posts -- shame on you all!) that leaves one hundred sixty who haven’t posted to that thread, myself included.

So I’m posting this in the General forum, rather than the less-popular Adventuring forum where the original was, in an attempt to get more people to answer. I think that that was the reason only twenty-five names were discussed -- because the track over there was less traveled by. (Besides, with my apologies to Kahonen, that wasn’t the best place for this topic anyway.)

Now, I realize that some names don’t need explaining (i.e., “Elminster” or any of the names here with “Drizzt” in them). Others have been mentioned in different threads (two both notable and recent would be mine and Pinball Wizard’s). And of course the twenty-five who already posted elsewhere.

However, no one’s really talked about avatar pictures. I think that they are nearly as important as the names we choose, as they are often the only faces we can relate to on here. I picked mine because it was the closest to my idea of “slightly mysterious sage.” I don’t know what cover art it happens to be from, though.

So how about it? Start talking, people!

Edited by - Alaundo on 26 Aug 2004 11:37:33

sushisauce
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  04:54:02  Show Profile  Visit sushisauce's Homepage Send sushisauce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name?
*chuckle*
I figured you dearCandlekeepians would have never heard of Japanlittle less sushi (even if I'm from the USA) besides, there is no "sushisauce" It was just suppost to be temperary until I knew more about FR and all but I guess it stay...
My avatar...
I like druids and all that stuff but I've never played one so i pisk it besides I thought it looked better than the rest (no ofense but with my name, you need a some-what spaztic pisture thats not crazy)

Normal is what we choose it to be.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  04:59:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never heard of Nippon? Better known as Japan? Lost Elph's going to be upset about that -- she's an anime/manga freak. And as for sushi -- why wouldn't we have heard of it? (My older brother still tries to get me to eat it. I like my fish best when they're fried, thank you very much. )

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lost Elph
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  05:06:57  Show Profile  Visit Lost Elph's Homepage Send Lost Elph a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my name? well Lost because i really don`t fit in to a group of "normal" people....not that you guys aren`t normal or anything and Elph because i was gonna use it for a name in on of my short storys and thought that Elf was just not sutied to a name. the pic thingy well Elph and its a elf pic it just worked.....

I`m not lost, my dreams are.

I am one of those people who go through life unseen, but I don`t think of it as a bad thing, no I think of it as an opportunity
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  05:19:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Succinctly put as always, Elph. And wonderful attention to grammar too. (Sorry folks, remember we know each other outside of here.)

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  05:37:45  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Elph? Define "normal". I don't think any of us here can be considered normal...at least...not in my opinion.

I think I've already explained my name so I probably shouldn't again should I? Lol.

But I can explain my avatar! I picked this picture because I'm a big fan of elves (though my name is a drow's name), and I really like this picture. I think it suits most of the characters I create. (even if they aren't elven in any way and even if this is Jaheira from BG2: Shadows of Amn...lol. )

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie

Edited by - Sadonayerah Odrydin on 21 Feb 2003 01:39:13
Go to Top of Page

Lost Elph
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  05:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Lost Elph's Homepage Send Lost Elph a Private Message  Reply with Quote
......define "normal"......*thinks* ow that hurt....um i don`t know.....
Bookwyrm:heheheehe ya i`m so much of an anime/manga fan i even scare you some times
.....ahhhhhh doing too many things at once......sorry i`m RPGing and talking to a friend on Aim and talking to Bookwyrm and Sodonayerah and posting here all at the same time its too much for this half-elf to handle.....so why am i doing it?

I am one of those people who go through life unseen, but I don`t think of it as a bad thing, no I think of it as an opportunity
Go to Top of Page

sushisauce
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  07:50:07  Show Profile  Visit sushisauce's Homepage Send sushisauce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, im deeply sorry...i didnt know there were Fanime members amoung us... but there still isnt a sushi sauce (and the Nippon thing was refering to if-this-was-Candlekeep-people)

Normal is what we choose it to be.
Go to Top of Page

Lost Elph
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  07:58:17  Show Profile  Visit Lost Elph's Homepage Send Lost Elph a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thats ohk Sushisauce not many people know that i like anime

Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  12:31:09  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose my avatar because I find it cute and charming.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  12:59:04  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Echon

I chose my avatar because I find it cute and charming.

-Echon

As do we all, Echon

Kitira came from my previous character's name in BG2, (the wild mage) Kiti D'Aleshan. Gildragon came from Gold dragon, but with a difference since I can have a mean streak. The Avatar came from Savage Frontier, one of the first PC D&D games I'd played
*rummages around for the old manual* Still have it!

OT: BTW, sushi rules (it's good for you), and I'm an anime/manga freak too! You should see my sketch book ;)

-Space for rent-

Edited by - Kitira Gildragon on 20 Feb 2003 16:46:13
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  16:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well...my name is a normal drowish name and I chose it because I like drows(surface elves too).
And my avatar? it's the only drowish one(unfortunately!!!)

"Do not be afraid of greatness. Some achieve greatness, some are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them..."
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  18:15:41  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose this avatar because it represents my favorite character in the Realms: Midnight
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  00:34:53  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already posted how my name came to be. Butas for my avatar, it was the closest thing I could find resembling the hero of the comic I am working on, Salius Kai.

And as for there being Anime fans in Candle Keep, my comic IS Anime/Manga.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  01:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elph: O.o maybe I shouldn't have said "define normal". um...*thinks*...nevermind. just forget about it.

sushisauce: referring to the email you sent me, Lost Elph is more spazzin' than me. (no offense meant to you Elph. I mean this in the best possible way).

"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Lost Elph
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  04:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Lost Elph's Homepage Send Lost Elph a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hay i`m not a spaz....i`m just hyper thats all *big puppy dog eyes* you belive me right? *whimper whimper*....ohk thats enough of that, creeping myself out there

Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  04:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*takes picture for scrapbook* this is gonna be sooo cute! You with big puppy dog eyes! Lol. Sorry. I'm just teasing you. Okay so you're not spazzin. you're just hyper.

Abhorsen by Garth Nix

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

DragonofJustice
Acolyte

46 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  05:57:13  Show Profile  Visit DragonofJustice's Homepage Send DragonofJustice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Bookwyrm, I still say you need to try sushi. I do believe that a real bookworm is one that devours all written knowledge. As you are a bookwyrm, and wyrms are supposed to have more . . .fortitude, you should be able to stomach a little sushi. I promise I wouldn't steer you wrong. Well not too badly.

As for my name, I like dragons, its a family thing, and I always thought that there should be a loose knit from of justice amoung the dragon community.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  06:16:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, another dragon . . . my monthly hunting flights are looking longer and longer . . . . Oh, and I have tried sushi, I just don't like it. Dragons who have firey breath have it for a reason, you know. Mmm, yum.

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  13:18:04  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned in a previous topic over here the name is from a character of mine from Middle Earth.

He has a way of getting around though....

Any Scholars of Quenya here who can tell me what "Artalis" means?

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  14:04:25  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I LOVE sushi!
Is it the raw fish with rice thing, or is the raw fish alone?
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  22:15:41  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Raw fish alone is sashimi.

Raw fish (most of the time) and rice with a seaweed wrap is sushi.

Note that some sushi (in contemporary American view at least) is cooked.

Eel for example is cooked and served with a sweet teriyaki-like sauce.
(and is my favorite if anyone wants to know)

-gee thanks, now I'm hungry again

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  22:24:28  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, the avatar...

Well one of the disadvantages of using an existing character in a setting like this is that you have a clear picture in your head as to what they actually look like.

Sometimes finding an Avatar is tricky. I have been fishing around for a while looking. The last one I had was close but this one is a little closer. With the added benefit of not looking chubby.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2003 :  05:01:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis

He has a way of getting around though....

Well, this statement by you reminds me of a clue Bellua Aeneus Lacerta dropped as to the meaning of his own name. That, plus my feeling that the root word for this means "foot" or "walk" (I could very well be wrong! I'm no good with languages) I think that "Artalis" means "Walker" or "Traveler."

But it's just a guess. Right or wrong?

Go to Top of Page

Frey
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  08:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Frey's Homepage Send Frey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've explained Frey's name elsewhere (the earlier thread). The atavar was just the one which fitted Frey's appearance best (and wasn't used by another )
As for 'normal'... Donnu but isn't 'normal' another word for 'boring'? I am glad I'm not normal and surely don't want to be that ever.
And then 'hyper'. This means (a lot) more of something than usual (another word for normal again ) It could just mean the others are slow, couldn't it? I've been accused of having ADHD. Dunno, could be. I am me and that might have advantages and disadvantages, but it's enough.
IMO

- Imagine ... there's no imagination. -

(remember Frey is just a PC)
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  15:49:22  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Well, this statement by you reminds me of a clue Bellua Aeneus Lacerta dropped as to the meaning of his own name. That, plus my feeling that the root word for this means "foot" or "walk" (I could very well be wrong! I'm no good with languages) I think that "Artalis" means "Walker" or "Traveler."

But it's just a guess. Right or wrong?

Sorry Bookwyrm, wrong.

The name is from Quenya not Latin. (Quenya is the High Elvish of Middle Earth.)The "he has a way of getting around" wasn't a clue though perhaps I should have included one for you all. Ah well...

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  19:22:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was talking about Quenya. Oh well, it was just a guess, like I said.

Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  22:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm: Dang it! You're not online right now! I had some good news too.... Anyway, I decided to go ahead and change the avatar. (no that's not my good news. lol) Though I'm not sure I'll stick with it for a while. And yeah I guess it looks like Sadon a little...it works though.

Well, I'll just tell you my good news here. I found my story! ...and it wasn't in the black hole under my desk...it was in the box in my closet. I'm gonna make some changes to it before I send it to you. The only bad part is that it's not the beginning of the story. I'm still working on the beginning. (that's what I was working on last night when I was talking to you....)

Abhorsen by Garth Nix

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  22:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

As mentioned in the previous thread on this topic - my name comes from an adaptation of my real first name (Alex) and the Legendary Mage from Arthurian times of whom I am a great fan. Not the most original of names I know but I kind of got attached to it after playing with the character all the way through BG1 and now working on BG2. As for the avatar...well I was looking for a suitably mageish one with a hint of wildness to fit in with my Chaotic Good persona and rather liked this one - not least because the hair fits mine on a bad day

I think the picture is taken from the Cover of 'Eye of the Beholder 2'...my first contact with AD&D (drifts off into nostalgic memories)...anyone confirm/correct me on this issue??

Best to all,

Alexis

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2003 :  00:48:40  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not much to tell, its half of my regular internet name, 'lowtech redneck'. I just liked the pirate picture, so I chose it. I'll be indroducing a new character for the Inn, named 'Dirk'.
Go to Top of Page

Lost Elph
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2003 :  03:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Lost Elph's Homepage Send Lost Elph a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bwhahahahahahahahaha!!!! ohk sorry bout that but i saw this and i had to get it....Alias is my fav FR char!!! i just looooooovvvvveeeee her!!!! so i changed my avatar

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000