Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Crusader class discussion thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  01:37:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is the place for Feedback on my crusader class article

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  03:00:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just briefly looked at the class and overall I think it looks pretty cool. I do have a couple of comments however...

Weapon/Armor Proficiencies: I didn't see this mentioned in the file you sent me but I would assume you would be going with the standard fighter/paladin: all simple and martial weapons as well as all armor types. I would recommend adding proficiency with the deities favored weapon as well. So Crusaders of Mystra, Loviator, Kelemvor, etc.. can use their deities weapon without a feat.

Divine’s focus: Personally I would change this to gaining access to one domain from the deities list of available domains. Some of the Initiate feats have high level prerequisites, giving them out at level one may not be a good idea. I would say the crusader gets the domain granted ability and may add the domain spells to their spell list.

Detect/Smite Infidel: I really like this ability. However, I don't have access to the 2nd edition Deity books (I know, I need them) so I really don't know all of the enemies of some of the more obscure gods. The only thing that may be a little unbalancing about this is deities like Bane who hate everybody. Bane's crusaders will be able to smite just about every divine caster in the realms other than a fellow Banite. But it's probably not too big a deal.

Bonus Feat: I would change this to "Weapon Focus in the deities favored weapon" as a bonus feat at 4th level. It just seems more fitting to the class.

Planar Mount: Great idea... I might change the rule for True Neutral deities though. It works for the Silvanus types but what about a crusader of Gond? It really doesn't make a lot of sense to grant them an animal from the druid list. Unfortunatly I have no good ideas for a replacement.

Weapon of the Deity: I think this is an excellent idea!

Spell Lists: You could always go with the standard (yet slightly generic) Paladin Spell list if the crusader channels positive energy and Blackguard Spell list if the crusader channels negative energy.

-------------------------------------------
As I said, I really like the idea of the class. I have never created my own class before so if any of my advice seems a bit off than just disregard it.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  03:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input COB

Weapon and Armour are the same as the paladin

Going off the Deific Grudge Match table in the PGTF Banes enemies are Cyric, Helm, Ilmater, Lathander, Mystra, Oghma, Tor and Tyr

I may do up a Table using the Info from F&A, DhD and P&P and stick it in the Class description.

Divine Focus: They dont need to meet the Initate Prereq and they wont gain access to the spell they choose until they reach a level where they can cast those spells

Bonus feat: I had though of giving them Weapon focus deities favoured weapon but that would create a problem if a Player chose Divine Focus: War Domain as it gives them Weapon focus in their deities favoured weapon.

Planar mount: Yeah the damn true neutral deities did create a problem here fortunatley most are tree huggers so a animal companion would work. I forgot about Gond maybe some sort of Construct....

Something else I just though of Sean Ryenolds Deities Does and Donts WE for F&P includes a listing of animals that each deity is the realms likes to use...

Spell lists: Hmm thats an idea...

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 26 Dec 2005 03:32:42
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  03:26:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't quite make it home yesterday evening as I'd planned Dargoth. I'm on my way now though... so I'll take a look over the class then .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Dec 2005 03:26:59
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  04:22:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Origninally posted by Dargoth:
Something else I just though of Sean Ryenolds Deities Does and Donts WE for F&P includes a listing of animals that each deity is the realms likes to use...

Well, I just checked the Faiths and Pantheons Web Enhancement and found the following...

Gond, Oghma, and all the elemental deities don't have any animals listed for them, so that really doesn't help.

The elemental deities could easily be solved with small elementals of the appropriate type.

For Gond I guess you can use some type of Effigy type horse from Complete Arcane or maybe an animated piece of furniture....

Oghma...I got no clue.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  04:33:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:
Origninally posted by Dargoth:

Well, I just checked the Faiths and Pantheons Web Enhancement and found the following...

Gond, Oghma, and all the elemental deities don't have any animals listed for them, so that really doesn't help.

The elemental deities could easily be solved with small elementals of the appropriate type.

For Gond I guess you can use some type of Effigy type horse from Complete Arcane or maybe an animated piece of furniture....

Oghma...I got no clue.

Yeah I was thinking small elementals for the Elemental god. Hmm Effigy horse thats an idea. As for Oghma maybe a Giant Owl?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  04:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dargoth, mind passing it my way?

I have a few ideas for some of the issues in this thread, but I'd need to see the class first...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  04:40:40  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I have a few ideas for some of the issues in this thread, but I'd need to see the class first...

PM me your email address and Ill mail it to you (its in a MS DOC file)

Due to the table in it I cant post it here in the thread

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  05:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Done.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  05:44:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Done.

Sent it to you

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  06:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cleaned up writeup of Divine Focus:
Divine Focus(Ex): A crusader may choose one non-prestige domain from their deity's domain list. They gain the granted benefit for that domain. Alternatively, if the crusader's patron deity has an initiate feat(defined as a feat with the initiate subtype, for which the crusader's deity is listed as a requirement), they may instead gain all benefits of that initiate feat except for the spells added to their spell list. The crusader may then select four spells from their deity's domain spells or spells granted with an initiate feat, which are then added to their spell list.
Note: Initiate feats can be found in Champions of Ruin, Champions of Valor, City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Player's Guide to Faerun, Races of Destiny, and Shining South.
Also, all of the abilities need type notes: Ex, Su, Sp.
Retemplating of Weapon of the Deity:
Weapon of the Deity(Sp): Once a week, a crusader may use weapon of the deity(see Complete Divine, Magic of Faerun or Spell Compendium) as a spell-like ability except that they may only target their deity's favored weapon with this ability. They gain one additional use of this ability for each three class levels above 6th.
EDIT: Added an important clarification to Weapon of the Deity, a short note to prevent breaking Divine Focus with the old Celerity domain, and added SS to the list of places Initiate feats can be found in.

Edited by - Arivia on 26 Dec 2005 20:49:33
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  06:18:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cleaned up writeup of Divine Focus:
Divine Focus(Ex): A crusader may choose one domain from their deity's domain list. They gain the granted benefit for that domain. Alternatively, if the crusader's patron deity has an initiate feat(defined as a feat with the initiate subtype, for which the crusader's deity is listed as a requirement), they may instead gain all benefits of that initiate feat except for the spells added to their spell list. The crusader may then select four spells from their deity's domain spells or spells granted with an initiate feat, which are then added to their spell list.
Note: Initiate feats can be found in Champions of Ruin, Champions of Valor, Player's Guide to Faerun, and Races of Destiny.
Also, all of the abilities need type notes: Ex, Su, Sp.
Retemplating of Weapon of the Deity:
Weapon of the Deity(Sp): Once a week, a crusader may use weapon of the deity(see Complete Divine, Magic of Faerun or Spell Compendium) as a spell-like ability. They may only target their deity's favored weapon with this ability. They gain one additional use of this ability for each three levels above 6th.

Thanks

Divine focus was rewritten several times so it came out kind of messy

Id probably only refer people to Magic of Faerun for Weapon of the Deity as its the only one of the 3 books that have weapons listed by FR deity

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  06:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Id probably only refer people to Magic of Faerun for Weapon of the Deity as its the only one of the 3 books that have weapons listed by FR deity

It's a useful enough class that I'd suggest keeping the core line references in-they certainly don't hurt, and they only add to its usage.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  06:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's a useful enough class that I'd suggest keeping the core line references in-they certainly don't hurt, and they only add to its usage.

Hmm fair enough

By the way can anyone think of an enemy deity for Milil? She hasnt got any Foe listed in F&A (I guess Eric thought everyone loves a Musician)Im leaning towards using Finder Wyvernspur (see as how the 2 of them dont get on) Can anyone think of someone better?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  07:05:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, due to the whole Metatext thing Liera might have qualified, but since she is gone . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  07:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Well, due to the whole Metatext thing Liera might have qualified, but since she is gone . . .

I decided to go with Cyric according to F&P they dont get on

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  19:41:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arivia commented on most of the comments I was going to say. :) You need to add the SP, SU, etc, tags to the ability write ups. I did do some editing and I've sent you my edited file back to you.

I also am a bit concerned about the TN's. They seem to get shafted with mounts.... :(

Otherwise I like the class. But, I was also concerned about the Initate spells.... They could get out of hand but Arivia knows the rules better then I do and she can help you better then I can with balancing those. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  20:46:40  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A small and rather insignificant point but...

In your listing of sourcematerial for initiate feats you neglected to mention City of Splendors: Waterdeep, which has the Initiate of Shar feat.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  20:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
Otherwise I like the class. But, I was also concerned about the Initate spells.... They could get out of hand but Arivia knows the rules better then I do and she can help you better then I can with balancing those. :)

Looking at the Initiate feats I've got access to(CoR,PGtF,RoD-I should be getting CoV within the week), I can see what you mean-they are of very varying power in terms of the other benefits. Some are just like domains(Initiate of Nature, Initiate of Ghaunadar), some are on the power level of non-epic feats(Initiate of Loviatar, Initiate of Malar), while some are a bit more powerful(Initiate of Bane, Initiate of Cyric, Initiate of Gruumsh, Initiate of Ilmater, [arguably] Initiate of Mystra, Law Inviolate, Whispered Secrets) and some are downright underpowered(Initiate of Tyr, I'm looking right at you).

Perhaps we should break Divine Focus(I want to address the name, too) apart, into these:
Domain Access: At 1st level, a cavalier may select one of their deity's granted non-prestige domains. They gain the granted ability of that domain, and add the first-level to fourth-level spells of that domain to their spell list.
Initiate of the Faith: At x level(I suggest no lower than 5th), a cavalier gains one initiate feat as a bonus feat. They do not need to meet any of the prerequisites except that their patron deity must be one of the ones listed in the feat prerequisites(I can't think of a better way to word this, anyone got an idea?). They gain all benefits listed in the Benefit section of the feat.
Alternatively, the cavalier may select one of their deity's granted non-prestige domains. They gain the granted ability of that domain, and add the first-level to fourth-level spells of that domain to their spell list. They cannot select the same domain they selected for domain access.
Note: Initiate feats can be found in Champions of Ruin, Champions of Valor, City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Player's Guide to Faerun, Races of Destiny, and Shining South.
(Note that neither of these abilities has Su/Sp/Ex noted-they don't apply to those abilities.)
Regarding why I didn't name either of them Divine Focus: I could swear there is already an ability/feat called divine focus. If we call the ability we're talking about Divine Focus, and it doesn't match the other ability completely in effect, we'll be breaking the unspoken rule for clarity that essentially says "never name any two class abilities/feats the same thing to decrease confusion from multiclassing".
I also made some important changes to my wordings in the posts above-please check those for updates.

Edited by - Arivia on 26 Dec 2005 20:50:13
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  20:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

A small and rather insignificant point but...

In your listing of sourcematerial for initiate feats you neglected to mention City of Splendors: Waterdeep, which has the Initiate of Shar feat.

Ah, okay-don't have it yet, so that would be why I missed that. Added.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  22:52:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Arivia commented on most of the comments I was going to say. :) You need to add the SP, SU, etc, tags to the ability write ups. I did do some editing and I've sent you my edited file back to you.

I also am a bit concerned about the TN's. They seem to get shafted with mounts.... :(

The Mounts are currently under revision. (and are looking quite nice, I never new there where so many +1 templates in 3.0/3.5)

There is a reason why Ive allowed the Crusader to choose any 4 spells from the Initiate Feat and the Deities Domains

1)Some of the Domains have spells the Crusaders likely to get in his core spell list (When I do the spell list Im likely going to merge the Blackguard and Paladin spell lists together with a few restrictions based on alignment ie Evil Crusaders wont be able to cast Holy Sword and vice versa)

2)The Crusader only gets access to spells from level 1 to 4 and some Initiate feats have few and in some case no spells within that range

3)Now a Crusader could take 4 4th level spells from the Initiate/Domains open to him however he wont gain access to 14th level at the earliest. The Divine Focus spells are investment that wont pay off until later in the Crusaders Career

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  23:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Mounts are currently under revision. (and are looking quite nice, I never new there where so many +1 templates in 3.0/3.5)

There is a reason why Ive allowed the Crusader to choose any 4 spells from the Initiate Feat and the Deities Domains

1)Some of the Domains have spells the Crusaders likely to get in his core spell list (When I do the spell list Im likely going to merge the Blackguard and Paladin spell lists together with a few restrictions based on alignment ie Evil Crusaders wont be able to cast Holy Sword and vice versa)

2)The Crusader only gets access to spells from level 1 to 4 and some Initiate feats have few and in some case no spells within that range

3)Now a Crusader could take 4 4th level spells from the Initiate/Domains open to him however he wont gain access to 14th level at the earliest. The Divine Focus spells are investment that wont pay off until later in the Crusaders Career

Okay, but that still doesn't resolve the initiate feat benefit balance issue.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  23:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which ones in particularly do you have problem with?

Or is just the ones in your previous post that you think are underpowered?

Most of the Initiate Feats seem to have a prereq based on the level of the lowest spell a cleric gets to add ie you need to be 5th level to take the Initiate of Bane feat (Mystic lash is the first spell you get (and you need to be 5th level to cast a 3rd level spell)

As for some Initiate benefits being better than others this is probably true (and in some cases its desireablity may rise or fall based what the player plans to go with the Crusader Class/PrC wise) that being said the Crusader doesnt have to take his Deities Initiate Feat Benefit he can choose the Benefit from one of deities Domains instead this gives him a choice between 3 to 4 Benefits at the minimum.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  23:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Most of the Initiate Feats seem to have a prereq based on the level of the lowest spell a cleric gets to add ie you need to be 5th level to take the Initiate of Bane feat (Mystic lash is the first spell you get (and you need to be 5th level to cast a 3rd level spell)

As for some Initiate benefits being better than others this is probably true (and in some cases its desireablity may rise or fall based what the player plans to go with the Crusader Class/PrC wise) that being said the Crusader doesnt have to take his Deities Initiate Feat Benefit he can choose the Benefit from one of deities Domains instead this gives him a choice between 3 to 4 Benefits at the minimum.

I'm more concerned about the ones I listed as being more powerful than your average feat. Those are poweful enough, and unbalancing at 1st level.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  00:26:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm more concerned about the ones I listed as being more powerful than your average feat. Those are poweful enough, and unbalancing at 1st level.

Lets take a look and see if we can find something that grants a similar benefit

Initiate of Bane: The Frightful presence benefit is almost exactly the same as the Dreadful wrath regional feat which is avaliable to 1st level characters (admitedly its restricted to certain regions) as such I dont think it could be considered to be overpowered

Initiate of Cyric: Immunity to Magical non magical fear like the Banite Frightful presence this ability has a clone as a regional feat ie Fearless so Id say it balance. Also consider this a regular Paladin basicly gets the what an Initiate of Cyric gives in the form of Aura of Courage at 3rd level. Now admitedly a Paladin has to wait until 3rd level before he gets it however the Paladins Aura of Courage also gives every ally within 10 feet of the a +4 morale bonus to saves against fear, the initiate of Cyric only makes the Crusader immune to fear theres no bonus to allies

Initiate of Gruumsh: 1 per day convert a Cure spell into a swift inflict spell,. CoR gives this to clerics at 3rd level. I dont think this is a problem remember to use this ability the crusader of Gruumsh has to be able to convert an existing Cure Spell into an inflict spell and a Crusader wont have access to that until they reach 4th level at the earliest

Initiate of Ilmater: Yes this does seem to be rather powerful but I dont think it is. The caster can only add HPs equal to the targets HD (Im guessing thats meant to be a divided by symbol)divided by 3
So assuming that the target is a 20th level character the maximum number of HPs he'd get is 6 (20 divided by 3 = 6.6666 rounded is 6.
6hps isnt alot for 20th level character.... admitedly they do get a couple of nice bonuses as well but I dont think its 2 over powered

Initiate of Mystra: Ok this one might be a little overpowered but how often is are you going to be in a Dead magic area or trapped in an Anti Magic field also remember a Crusader cant cast spells until at least 4th level. Its a little overpowered but the benfit is only avaliable in a very few circumstances. Im incline to let it stand as is.

These 2 are easily dealt with Law Inviolate, Whispered Secrets there not FR specfic Initiate feats (There from Races of Destiny)so you cant use them for divine focus

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  01:42:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planar Mount will be renamed Divine Ally and a table detailing a deitys enemies and the Divine ally they get should be sent out to you guys some time today (Damn there are a lot of Gods in the FR!)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  02:15:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ilsensine said the same thing . . .
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  02:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Lets take a look and see if we can find something that grants a similar benefit

Initiate of Bane: The Frightful presence benefit is almost exactly the same as the Dreadful wrath regional feat which is avaliable to 1st level characters (admitedly its restricted to certain regions) as such I dont think it could be considered to be overpowered

Initiate of Cyric: Immunity to Magical non magical fear like the Banite Frightful presence this ability has a clone as a regional feat ie Fearless so Id say it balance. Also consider this a regular Paladin basicly gets the what an Initiate of Cyric gives in the form of Aura of Courage at 3rd level. Now admitedly a Paladin has to wait until 3rd level before he gets it however the Paladins Aura of Courage also gives every ally within 10 feet of the a +4 morale bonus to saves against fear, the initiate of Cyric only makes the Crusader immune to fear theres no bonus to allies

Initiate of Gruumsh: 1 per day convert a Cure spell into a swift inflict spell,. CoR gives this to clerics at 3rd level. I dont think this is a problem remember to use this ability the crusader of Gruumsh has to be able to convert an existing Cure Spell into an inflict spell and a Crusader wont have access to that until they reach 4th level at the earliest

Initiate of Ilmater: Yes this does seem to be rather powerful but I dont think it is. The caster can only add HPs equal to the targets HD (Im guessing thats meant to be a divided by symbol)divided by 3
So assuming that the target is a 20th level character the maximum number of HPs he'd get is 6 (20 divided by 3 = 6.6666 rounded is 6.
6hps isnt alot for 20th level character.... admitedly they do get a couple of nice bonuses as well but I dont think its 2 over powered

Initiate of Mystra: Ok this one might be a little overpowered but how often is are you going to be in a Dead magic area or trapped in an Anti Magic field also remember a Crusader cant cast spells until at least 4th level. Its a little overpowered but the benfit is only avaliable in a very few circumstances. Im incline to let it stand as is.

These 2 are easily dealt with Law Inviolate, Whispered Secrets there not FR specfic Initiate feats (There from Races of Destiny)so you cant use them for divine focus

However, you're forgetting that they'll be getting this ability at 1st level, and as only part of an ability! The initiate feats are specifically balanced with that level requirement, and you're removing that. Additionally, we know the 3.5 regional feats are overpowered for specific reasons, which we are not duplicating here.

Granting these benefits at 1st level in this way is unbalancing. It's just that simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  03:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

However, you're forgetting that they'll be getting this ability at 1st level, and as only part of an ability! The initiate feats are specifically balanced with that level requirement, and you're removing that. Additionally, we know the 3.5 regional feats are overpowered for specific reasons, which we are not duplicating here.

Granting these benefits at 1st level in this way is unbalancing. It's just that simple.

Actually they'll only be getting part of the Divine focus power at 1st level they wont be getting the spells (the 2nd component of Divine focus) until at least 4th level. Divine focus basicly gives a Crusader the benefit of a Feat and 4 spells which they cant use straight away. I disagree that that the initiate Feats preqs are tied to the Benefit, in most cases the prereq to seems to be tied to minimum class level needed to cast the lowest level spell that the Initiate of X feat grants

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  04:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: Can you apply the Fiendish Template to a Rat swarm?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  05:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Question: Can you apply the Fiendish Template to a Rat swarm?

From SRD under the "Fiendish" entry:
quote:

“Fiendish” is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, or vermin of nongood alignment (referred to
hereafter as the base creature).

Also from SRD under creature type for a swarm (of Bats actually but it's essentially the same thing)...

quote:

Diminutive Animal (Swarm)

So, since animal is listed as the type under swarm I would say that you can indeed add the fiendish template to a swarm of rats.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000