Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Blackstaff (Contains Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  05:36:49  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mark S. and I both posted quick comments about the release dates of the WOTC books. They are expected dates, not Strict-on-Sale(SOS) dates. Petition your stores if they say it can't go on sale until so-and-so date. It is not right! SOS's are common, but only for certain books, usually hardcovers. These are the Grishams, Rowlings, Pattersons, etc. Very few books on the Realms have SOS dates, with Salvatore being one.

Now, with that off my chest, back to the 'Staff.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  19:04:42  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Good read. I'd say there were 3 major events in this novel, not 2. See my notes in the Chapter 40 bookclub scroll.

Sounds about right...
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  21:14:35  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Let's just leave it that I'm in love with this novel. :) I've read a quarter to half of it in 3 hours.

3 hours? That's slow I'd finished it by then.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  22:03:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Let's just leave it that I'm in love with this novel. :) I've read a quarter to half of it in 3 hours.

3 hours? That's slow I'd finished it by then.

I had other things to do between that, like answer emails, write, etc. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  16:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I finished this a couple of days ago and it was absolutely incredible. So much Realmslore it warrants a second (and probably third) read, plus it is exciting, fun, humorous, touching, and just plain cool. This tome definitely takes its place among my all-time favorite Realms novels.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  17:30:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now we have a character profile for Tsarra, written by friend Steven, of course!

Character Profile: Tsarra Chaadren

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  22:00:11  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This had to have been one of my favorite FR novels of all time. I especially liked the appearance and continued mention of Sememmon and Ashemmi. As well as many other Realms classics. The novel opened up many avenues of Realmslore for me that are now, much to my delight, going to have to be explored thoroughly.

A question. What exactly did Khelben mean when he said that Sememmon and Ashemmi were bound for far more than this gambit? Does this imply a future novel about them?

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 31 Jul 2006 22:01:44
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  13:01:43  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was a good book, but Khelben`s death hit me in the face like an armored fist.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  17:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was surprised how well it was handled. And I also liked hints about Semmy and Ashemmi...Semm's a far from the raving megalomaniac Knightsbridge smacked around in the Avatar trilogy now.
I do wish something'd be substantiated on why Ashemmi, apparently totally devoted to Sememmon decided to cuckold him...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  02:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And now we have a character profile for Tsarra, written by friend Steven, of course!

Awesome profile--it helps shed some light on why the character thinks and acts the way she does (which aren't fully explained in the novel).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  02:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

A question. What exactly did Khelben mean when he said that Sememmon and Ashemmi were bound for far more than this gambit? Does this imply a future novel about them?

I think it just implies that they are bound for other, not-so-evil deeds. Maybe another novel is forthcoming, but who knows?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  03:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting I have a question though

quote:

Short months after she arrived at the Tower, Tsarra learned to hate undead even more as Myrkul's Horde attacked the city

Im assuming Steven this refers to the battle in the streets of Waterdeep in the closing days of the Time of Troubles.

But wasnt Myrkuls Horde/legion made up of Outsiders from Mykruls homeplane? The Denizen write up in Waterdeep (The module) doesnt say anything about them being Undead...

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jagou
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  03:32:58  Show Profile  Visit Jagou's Homepage Send Jagou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blackstaff is great. The best I have read in quite some time.
Epic and humorous.

No doubt that I will be looking forward to another book by Mr.Schend.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  03:46:40  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Avatar series is second only to RotA for making me break out in hives at the mere mention, but I do remember that there were significant numbers of undead shambling around in certain parts of the Waterdeep novel. For one thing, they killed Kelemvor (maybe that's why he hates undead...) Since Myrkul was the god of the dead and undead, I'd expect his horde would be mostly undead, supplemented by fiends. But it's been years since I've read those books, so I can't say for certain.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  04:05:56  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
[brBut wasnt Myrkuls Horde/legion made up of Outsiders from Mykruls homeplane? The Denizen write up in Waterdeep (The module) doesnt say anything about them being Undead...

I own the module, but don't have it with me...my memory says that the "dezien" was an (in 3E terms) outsider (I think similiar to a hordling) but there was also undead in the Horde too, like those undead horsement with the gaunts and life-draining scythes (can't remember their name )

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  05:12:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The Avatar series is second only to RotA for making me break out in hives at the mere mention, but I do remember that there were significant numbers of undead shambling around in certain parts of the Waterdeep novel. For one thing, they killed Kelemvor (maybe that's why he hates undead...) Since Myrkul was the god of the dead and undead, I'd expect his horde would be mostly undead, supplemented by fiends. But it's been years since I've read those books, so I can't say for certain.

No, Cyric killed Kelemvor. If Kel had fallen to the denizens, then the events of later books would have happened differently.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  14:55:50  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While the book was alright, I felt Khel's sendoff could have honestly used more Khelben.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  14:49:31  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished the book some time ago. Loooooooooots of information lorewise! Most certainly! However, it doesn't sit wellwith me - the realms without Khelben! that will be a canon development I will forever leave out of MY realms most definitly!

However, I wonder, is Tsarra now the owner of Blackstaff tower? and a chosen of mystra as well? and what happens to Laeral I wonder?

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  15:43:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically,

[Note SPOILERS]

Tsarra has assumed the guise of the Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun. This means that right after the events of the novel, she is a Lord of Waterdeep, head of the Moonstars and mage teacher at Blackstaff Tower. We don't know what happens subsequent to that.

What is likely is that she might relinquish one or both of the first two offices. It's a crime to masquerade as a Lord of Waterdeep, so she may reveal herself to Peirgeiron who may decide to keep her on as a Lord. Or not. I doubt she'd get far trying to masquerade as one - although if that suits your Realms and campaign, that's fine as well.

She may have a better chance of masquerading as Khelben in terms of his leadership of the Moonstars, but canny members such as Malchor may soon find her out. This one is up in the air at present.

She will definitely continue 'being Khelben' in terms of a presence in Waterdeep and a presence in his wizard school in Blackstaff Tower.

She is not a Chosen of Mystra.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  15:59:10  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Sage!

As always, I am astonished as to what lore thou are able to share with us here at candlekeep.

Would thou be so kind to enlighten me of thy source, oh most honorable one?

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  16:22:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure thing. Sources include the Blackstaff novel, and select pickings from the brains of both Steven Schend and George Krashos.

Mmmmm... Realmslore-filled brains. It's what gets me going each and every morning!

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Aug 2007 16:24:29
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  16:32:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And regarding Laeral, this bit comes from Steven, back in Sep. '06:-

"Oh, and Laeral's not going off anywhere; I thought I left it clear that she's staying in Rhymanthiin, at least until the twins are born."

And this, also from Sep. '06:-

"FIrst, I have to acknowledge that I've got no control over what WotC or another author does with Laeral. That said, I assume she'll have some minimal contact with Blackstaff Tower, if only to claim some of her things sent over to the new Blackstaff Tower (whose elven name I'm blanking on, as I've not had coffee yet) in Rhymanthiin. If it were up to me, Laeral wouldn't set foot in Blackstaff Tower for the next 5-10 years at the least--the pain's too raw (and as another example, reread how she reacted to his death in Stornanter). But I've learned to never say never.....especially since I don't get to write the Adventures of Laeral and the Blackstaff's Babies."

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Aug 2007 16:33:32
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  17:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone keep the profile of Tsarra? I can't, for the life of me, locate it on the Wizards' site anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  18:25:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

Did anyone keep the profile of Tsarra? I can't, for the life of me, locate it on the Wizards' site anymore.

WotC's search engine works about as well as a tinker gnome invention... Use Google.

http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/?doc=fr_blackstaffcp

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  18:26:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you could notate, as I just did (after the fact, obviously!) that the link to that Character Profile was in the first post on this page.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  19:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or you could notate, as I just did (after the fact, obviously!) that the link to that Character Profile was in the first post on this page.

Actually, that link is broken, the one you just posted works.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  21:45:21  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

Actually, that link is broken, the one you just posted works.

I had the same difficulties, so thanks for the new and working link!

@ Sage: thanks again! Great infos, all! Now, all we need is a sourcebook on the new city of Rhymanthiin!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2007 :  11:31:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Mmmmm... Realmslore-filled brains. It's what gets me going each and every morning!

Imagine the round table discussion in two weeks time ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2007 :  17:03:33  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

Oh, a Mindflayer's feast!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2007 :  12:17:01  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

That depends entirely on how late we were all out the night before and what was imbibed. Hm, I'll have to come to that, if my schedule allows and lurk in the audience.

Oh, a Mindflayer's feast!

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000