Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Blackstaff (Contains Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  10:57:06  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tamsar,

What dates were the events of the book?

Monch
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  16:00:36  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monch, I'll PM the dates to you as I appear to have upset the madding crowd.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  18:45:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, I ask for a second time, can we drop the spoiler arguement? I'm tired of removing posts about it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Jul 2006 20:40:54
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  15:52:54  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monch9

Tamsar,

What dates were the events of the book?

Monch

The book's main plot spans the 28th of Uktar through the Feast of the Moon in the Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR). There are various flashbacks that go as far back as the 5th century Dalereckoning and in various time frames up to the present 14th century.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  13:39:50  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good news ladies and gents. I just ordered Blackstaff off of Amazon.com. Should be only a few days before I am exploring it's secrets and participating in the Book Club discussion.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 11 Jul 2006 13:40:11
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  19:50:51  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay! I have Blackstaff! Thank you Borders in the mall.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  23:31:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got the book too. It will be a few days, probably, before I get to reading it, but I can't wait.

I flipped through the pages a bit (yes, I tend to do that), and apparently there's a kitty cat character. Nice.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  00:53:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a tressym IIRC. Quite an 'active' one if the visit to the Wands villa survived the cut.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  01:07:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's a tressym IIRC. Quite an 'active' one if the visit to the Wands villa survived the cut.

-- George Krashos

Flying cats...if only they existed in the real world.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  01:21:33  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I nearly had a fit at Borders because I looked in the FR novels section . . . then I went past the new fiction paperbacks table, and there was a whole stack there . . . and now . . . it is mine!

Now I just have to read the bugger . . .
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  02:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.. the two "RSE" that are mentioned. I really don't consider either event to be worthy of "RSE" status.

Just bought my copy today, but will wait until I finish my current book.

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  18:52:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my copy, rock!, but I gotta finish the current book I'm reading.

Oh and Bloodwalk and the new Dlance Companions novel is also out.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  19:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon emailed today to say that mine had been shipped I'll be starting it next week after i've wrapped up the current novel i'm reading.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  20:11:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the email I just got, the book was delivered this afternoon. Unfortunately, I can't read much of it tonight; I've got too much editing to do.

Ironically, I got my shipment of CDs from Tokyo in less time than this book coming from Jacksonville! A three-hour drive, vs. halfway around the world... Go figure.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Jul 2006 20:11:36
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  22:24:54  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the new DLance book today, but couldn't find Blackstaff in TWO different Border's! :(

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  23:07:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What bad luck.

I got Bloodwalk along with Blackstaff, but I'm going to read Blackstaff first.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  00:12:33  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What -good- luck!

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  00:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

What -good- luck!

Yeah, but I won't start reading them until I'm done with Final Gate.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  01:37:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

...and the new Dlance Companions novel is also out.
Dragons of the Dwarven Depths?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  01:37:53  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm crossing my fingers I'll be able to find a copy in Cambridge on Saturday, it's not in my town and isn't likely to get here unless I order it. I want Final Gate too.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  01:44:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Yeah. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  01:52:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Yeah. :)

I'm waiting for my library to get that one in, so I can read it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  06:03:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's just leave it that I'm in love with this novel. :) I've read a quarter to half of it in 3 hours.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  01:27:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let's just leave it that I'm in love with this novel. :) I've read a quarter to half of it in 3 hours.

Well, if you like it that much, hopefully I'll like it too. I'm almost done with Final Gate, then it's on to Blackstaff!

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  01:29:33  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally managed to find it, and skipped ahead towards the head and read about 5 pages. I do this a lot, just because it really gives me something to look forward to... And I must say I loved what little I read so far. :)

I think I'll read it as soon as I finish Godslayer!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  01:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll admit that I've "cheated" like that myself sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  02:04:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Well, if you like it that much, hopefully I'll like it too. I'm almost done with Final Gate, then it's on to Blackstaff!

I'm done and Steven, rocking novel man. Gratz on your first novel. I chalk you up there with Elaine and Ed. So, come on man, when's the next FR novel? :)

I hardly ever read a FR novel, lately, in less then a day.

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  16:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been 5 days since I ordered Blackstaff and it isn't here yet! I think I am going to cry.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  00:14:15  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good read. I'd say there were 3 major events in this novel, not 2. See my notes in the Chapter 40 bookclub scroll.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  05:14:13  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those who are waiting to get this book...all I can say that it is well worth the wait as it is a fantastic book. Just finished reading it this morning and almost feel like reading it again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000