Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you could have one book besides...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  21:29:18  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
The FRCS, Races of Faerun, Faiths & Pantheons, and Magic of Faerun - which would you want to have to run a spur of the moment game?

I guess this is also asking which you think is the most useful in a pinch.

Choices:

Serpent Kingdoms
Waterdeep: CoS
Champions of Ruin
Champions of Valor
Silver Marches
Shining South
Unapproachable East
Lords of Darkness
Underdark
Lost Empires of Faerun
I don''t need no stinkin'' book!

(Anonymous Vote)

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  21:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep, but mainly because I'd love to play there.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  22:05:24  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep, there's just something about the place that makes me itch (in a good way).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  00:49:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm joining the Waterdeep crowd, because that's my fave place in the Realms!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  01:31:37  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You listed the core books that I would need, the rest are just extra.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  01:35:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I want to say the Waterdeep book, I've would prefer Unapproachable East at this time because my love for Thay is nearly as great as my love for Waterdeep... the difference being, I haven't ran a campaign in Thay in a very long time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  02:11:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Waterdeep as well. Just limitless campaign possibilities.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  02:15:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im going to be difficult and put blind faith in Sean, Thomas and Wil and say Mysteries of the Moonsea!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  04:10:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I said Waterdeep, because of the sheer number of different adventures that can be run in and around the city, but Lost Empires of Faerun comes in a close second with me for having a lot of ideas and tidbits with which to inspire a DM with ancient Realmslore to throw at his players.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  08:47:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Hmmm, a difficult choice indeed. Whilst Waterdeep constantly astounds me every time I delve into it's lore, and despite my love for the Silver Marches... I have chosen Lost Empires of Faerūn. An amazing tome which I often delve into, and from which I have learnt the most.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  13:12:53  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont need no stinkin' book!

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  14:52:38  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Waterdeep, but I chose Lords of Darkness, because it's an excellent resource for a DM in a hurry to get some bad guys organized...

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  10:15:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer LEoF for it is quite rich in the lore and history of the late empires of Faerun, and offers good places to explore, loot, fight, and tour for sightseeing. Second to it would be Waterdeep, a city with a number of good places to fight.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  17:28:24  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked Silver Marches, because that's where I base all my dwarven campaigns!
If I had to pick a second, it would be LEoF since there is a lot of good dwarven lore in there.
Dwarves, of course, are a recurring theme here.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  18:14:01  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of Darkness, need stats for a bad guy? Need sneaky plots? I got'em

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  21:39:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, definitely Unapproachable East. Now if only they had a supplement updating the Old Empires and the Bloodstone Lands.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  05:29:11  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, most definitely a 3.5 Cold Lands/Bloodstone sourcebook

and Old Empires is my second choice too

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  11:25:23  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted in the Lords of Darkness, that give me a good hand if I need to put the players in the highlight with some evil guys...

But Waterdeep and Lost Empires of Faerūn really tempted me

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  06:36:12  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to Lost Empires because it is not region-specific, alignment-specific or what have you. It is chock full of juicy nuggets that can inspire a pick-it-up-and-run campaign anywhere in the Realms.

Edited by - Vangelor on 23 Nov 2005 06:36:55
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  17:21:14  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to say Silver Marches. I love the setting and it is where my current campaign is based. That LEoF would be a very close second. I love all the possible storylines and adventure hooks...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  18:23:59  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Hmmm, a difficult choice indeed. Whilst Waterdeep constantly astounds me every time I delve into it's lore, and despite my love for the Silver Marches... I have chosen Lost Empires of Faerūn. An amazing tome which I often delve into, and from which I have learnt the most.

More or less my thoughts as well. LEoF is for me the most frequently used tome and one I would like to have beside me if I'd have to run a 'spur of the moment' game. I can come up with the 'present' more or less 'on the fly' but to give it a believable- and Faerūnian touch a reference from the past ages of the Realms is indispensable.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  10:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Empires of Faerūn because it is so versatile and covers many areas. If I happened to be a player in said game, I'd hope my DM picked City Of Splendours because I've long wanted to be involved in a really good campaign in Waterdeep.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  20:54:07  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of Darkness is great for the very reasons you state. You *must* get this book!

Any good regional sourcebook is great if you happen to play in that region. For every other region, of if you play in several regions, go with LoD.

Edited by - Snotlord on 28 Nov 2005 20:57:09
Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  05:50:32  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None other than the greatest city in all of the Realms (subject to personal opinion ), of course, Waterdeep!

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  13:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say The Silver Marches too. There's just a certain magic there. Besides, I don't have the Waterdeep book, so couldn't pick that, but I'm guessing it would be a very close second, with all I've read about the place.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  13:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Toss up between Lost Empires and Waterdeep. Waterdeep is..well, Waterdeep and Lost Empires is great for history and history is very important in a campaign.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  03:48:50  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to say waterdeep. You can do almost any kind of roleplaying adventure, around, and under the city of splendors.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  04:06:55  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We'd have to say Lost Empires, simply because History is nearly as important on what is. Plus to find away to exploit loose ends (real or imagined) always sends us into a fit of gibbering Giggles

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  13:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Waterdeep because it seems like every campaign i'm in (wether as DM or Player), I end up going there so it's good to have the material handy at all times :)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  02:05:34  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately you haven't listed the book I'd need, but that's because it's 2nd ed. Sea of Fallen Stars. I'm running a campaign in Seros, and you can't really run a campaign there without it.

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  11:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with LEoF because the Fluff to Crunch ratio is perfect for me, and allows for campaigns to be set up all over the map.

I was sorely tempted to choose a regional book as a campaign setting, but LEoF is simply stunning.

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000