Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 How should I pronounce this?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  14:14:54  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still pronounce many things wrong and many "friendly" arguments come from those battles.

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  14:45:00  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah - like Wooly, I have told every single person I run for that Drow, in my worlds, in pronounced like Bow (the archer thing). Some people like to argue - but then I show them the symbolic door.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  22:16:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know Drizzt is pronounced "Drist", but I mentally pronounce it as "Drizzit".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  22:25:05  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem with that - I still have a hard time pronouncing the proper name for Deep Gnomes - but then again, who names things Svirfneblins????

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  22:42:20  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnomes?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  23:32:15  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I know Drizzt is pronounced "Drist", but I mentally pronounce it as "Drizzit".

It isn't Drizzit?

Oops.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  04:25:13  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry, I never picked up on the Drist/Drizzit thing until two things converged. The first one was that a lot of people were portrayed in the novel as misprounouncing Drizzt by phoenetically spelling it out as Drizzit, and I heard one of the characters in Baldur's Gate saying the word Drizzt in their dialogue. Then it all clicked . . .
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  07:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I got it from Baldur's Gate as well. Annoying, indeed.

Drist... What kind of name is "Drist"?

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  15:22:17  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Die Svirfneblins, die!!!!!

Seriously - what a wacky name.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  08:04:20  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Don't call it Old English - Winterfox will probably tear your heart out.

I have always pronounced it "ee-ae-er-lan." Always sounded Elven to me.

C-Fb

I've always understood Æ to most often simply mean I, so I've always pronounced Eaerlann as "Yeer-lan", when asked. But when reading to myself I cheat and pronounce it "Earl-an".
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  14:45:56  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And have you seen that new name for the half-elf in Salvatore's book? I have no idea how to pronounce it - Calihye. Do we think it is Cal-ee-hi, or Ca-lee-hee... anyone have an idea?

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  19:30:57  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My "at-a-glance" pronounciation would be Ca-lee-hee-ee. (By the way, any chance of getting the international phonetic alphabet as a font to use on the forums Alaundo?)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2005 :  05:08:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I pronounce it "CAL-ee-ay", but the name still confused me the first few times I read it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2005 :  08:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously, I find the various dragon names significantly easier to pronounce than some "normal" names of the realms.

I mean, there is little argument on how you pronounce Nalavarautathoryl.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2005 :  14:35:32  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course. Well, Dragons are well known for their gift of the tongue. Which brings me to the question - do dragons name themselves or do they keep the name their parents give them? Hmmm.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  10:00:32  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there was an article that answered this particular question... Somewhere on the WotC site... Wyrms of the North, mayhaps?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  13:53:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Of course. Well, Dragons are well known for their gift of the tongue. Which brings me to the question - do dragons name themselves or do they keep the name their parents give them? Hmmm.

C-Fb

The subject of dragon names is handled in Ed's "Wyrms of the North" article detailing Lhammaruntosz. See here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20030326a

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  17:04:13  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, I'll check that out - I want to see if it's in line with the Draconimicon.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  19:09:10  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the word svirfneblin is directly from old norse mythology... so thats where it comes from crennenfaeriebane

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  19:27:07  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, BM, I was wondering where a name like that originated!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000