Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 How should I pronounce this?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

maurezen
Acolyte

Russia
26 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  13:34:52  Show Profile  Visit maurezen's Homepage Send maurezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks!
I'm a novice here, and not as smart in English as I should be. I was always wondering, how should I pronounce "a" in "balor"? Exactly as "a" in "game", shouldn't I?

I heed the approval of others. I heed not its absence.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  13:43:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a decent enough approximation.

I know others pronouce it as "bELL-or". To me though, "bA-lor" -- with hard emphasis on the "A" -- is more appropriate.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  14:41:05  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always heard it was a "BAY-lor" as well - and I've met too many on adventures (seems every DM likes to throw damn demons at me! )

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  15:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a faked Balrog, so I'd pronounce the "a" exactly the same as in Balrog.

Of course, german is my mother language and there it is pronounced exactly as in "Balrog" as well, so I might be biased :D

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  17:23:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I have always heard it was a "BAY-lor" as well - and I've met too many on adventures (seems every DM likes to throw damn demons at me! )

C-Fb

That's how I pronounce it, too. But then again, I know that I don't pronounce all D&D-related words properly. I will always put a long o in drow, though I've read more than once that it should rhyme with "how now, brown cow?"

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  17:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

C-Fb

That's how I pronounce it, too. But then again, I know that I don't pronounce all D&D-related words properly. I will always put a long o in drow, though I've read more than once that it should rhyme with "how now, brown cow?"

We all do that. Poking through the Cyclopedia of the Realms a few minutes ago, I discovered I've been pronouncing Malar's name wrong for 5+ years.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  17:32:52  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't get me started on "Cyric". :/

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  17:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

SEER-ick? Cire-ick? Ky-rick?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  17:38:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe... I still get Myrkul wrong. But now I just pronounce it incorrectly on purpose to irritate my players .

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Nov 2005 17:40:07
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  17:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Hehe... I still get Myrkul wrong. But now I just pronounce it incorrectly on purpose to irritate my players .

Is Mirr-kul correct, or is it Meer-kul?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  17:42:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, I pronounce the "Myr" in Myrkul the same way as it has been suggested that the "myr" in Cormyr is pronounced -- that is "meer".

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  19:15:27  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait a sec - how are you supposed to pronounce Malar?

And Wooly - good looking out - that's the correct way to pronounce Drow!

C-Fb

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 08 Nov 2005 19:15:56
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  20:26:12  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's a faked Balrog, so I'd pronounce the "a" exactly the same as in Balrog.

Of course, german is my mother language and there it is pronounced exactly as in "Balrog" as well, so I might be biased :D

yes this is teh correct pronunciation... i talked to gary gygax about this exact question in an interview with him

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  21:52:46  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

SEER-ick? Cire-ick? Ky-rick?

You forgot Sy-rick

Oh, and how is Malar supposed to be pronounced? (I've always used long A's since that's the way it'd be pronounced in Swedish).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 08 Nov 2005 21:53:02
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  23:48:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always pronounced it as "MALL-ar"... with emphasis on the MAL portion of the name.

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  23:58:49  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Oh, and how is Malar supposed to be pronounced? (I've always used long A's since that's the way it'd be pronounced in Swedish).

And you see, I have always read this and pronounced it as

MAY-Lar

Pronunciations are things that should be put in the sourcebooks

If you want a humdinger, you ought to see how Cherokee Indians pronounce the word Cherokee.

I think the pronunciation of words on Toril would also depend on the regional dialect!

Malarick

Edited by - Malarick on 09 Nov 2005 00:02:09
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  00:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase
You forgot Sy-rick

True, I did, and May-larr.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  00:53:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

And you see, I have always read this and pronounced it as

MAY-Lar

Pronunciations are things that should be put in the sourcebooks

MAH-larr, according to Faiths & Avatars. Those deity books include the pronunciation of the deity names.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  01:08:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm . . . the original Cyclopedia of the Realms (Grey Box) says MAY-larr.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  01:13:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the real challenge is getting used to the proper proununciation once you find it out. For years I used to say pal-AD-in, and even to this day I fall back into that dispite knowing how its suppose to be prounounced.

Of course, the worst pronunciation embarrasment I ever had was playing at a convention and realizing that, since we were attacked by white furry humanoids which my bard properly identified as Quaggoths, that drow might be involved. I pronounced drow properly, at least according to the Gygax method, and everyone at the table took about five minutes out of the session to riducule me for pronouncing it that way.

I didn't talk much for the rest of the session . . . that kind of stuff puts a damper on newly forged relationships . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  02:21:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Odd... But I'll stick with the "newer lore trumps older lore" rule.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  02:31:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Odd... But I'll stick with the "newer lore trumps older lore" rule.

Actually if you look at a lot of the pronouncation in the 1e box set and the 2e box set, etc, they are different. Especially for a lot of the NPC's. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  02:54:49  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All goes to show you we only need one edition! Should have done it right!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

maurezen
Acolyte

Russia
26 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  08:38:27  Show Profile  Visit maurezen's Homepage Send maurezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank ye men for answering. And about editions... does anyone knows where one can get the rulebooks for the first editions?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  09:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maurezen

Thank ye men for answering. And about editions... does anyone knows where one can get the rulebooks for the first editions?

Used bookstores and online, mostly-whether it's in ebook format from paizo.com or such or through ordering online through a retailer that specializes in out-of-print products.
Go to Top of Page

maurezen
Acolyte

Russia
26 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  10:58:33  Show Profile  Visit maurezen's Homepage Send maurezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... I'm from Russia, and that does mean something. I don't want to pay anything, I mean:)
But thanks anyway.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  13:02:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm... I'm from Russia, and that does mean something. I don't want to pay anything, I mean:)
But thanks anyway.

It's actually an illegal practice to ask about or obtain TSR/WotC products for free (available as PDF downloads via various P2P software like Kazaa) over the web. The only freely available and official TSR/WotC accessories are those they have declared themselves. See here for the listing:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

If you want 1e rulesbooks, you'll have to pay for them. The paizo.com site offers older editions rulebooks for $4 US. They're PDFs though...

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  23:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the "how the heck do I pronounce this?" category, I submit Eaerlann. I realized a little while ago that I was pronouncing it "air-eh-lan," as though it's spelled Aerelann. I've tried, but I can't figure out how one pronounces "eaer." Anyone more familiar with old English? How do you all pronounce it?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  00:49:24  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't call it Old English - Winterfox will probably tear your heart out.

I have always pronounced it "ee-ae-er-lan." Always sounded Elven to me.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  01:37:22  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't really think it was Old English (or Middle English, for that matter), but rather that what little I've seen of the old languages seem to have a lot of "ea" and "ae" in them, and that someone who understood that language might have a better clue than I.

But I make that distinction because a friend of mine studied Old and Middle English is college, not because I care what Winterfox thinks.

And thanks for your take on the pronunciation.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 10 Nov 2005 01:37:54
Go to Top of Page

maurezen
Acolyte

Russia
26 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  11:11:13  Show Profile  Visit maurezen's Homepage Send maurezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

But thanks anyway.

It's actually an illegal practice to ask about or obtain TSR/WotC products for free (available as PDF downloads via various P2P software like Kazaa) over the web. The only freely available and official TSR/WotC accessories are those they have declared themselves. See here for the listing:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

If you want 1e rulesbooks, you'll have to pay for them. The paizo.com site offers older editions rulebooks for $4 US. They're PDFs though...

Thank you for this remark. I will do as ye advice.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000