Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Cities series question?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  17:19:38  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What is the order of the Cities series?

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  17:45:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. The City of Ravens by Richard Baker
2. Temple Hill by Drew Karpyshyn (whose forefathers, considering the last name, obviously weren't treated badly enough at Ellis Island)
3. The Jewel of Turmish by Mel Odom
4. The City of Splendours by Ed Greenwood & Elaine Cunningham

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 01 Nov 2005 17:46:15
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  20:27:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, though, they are all stand-alone novels--you don't have to read them in any particular order.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  20:30:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And thank goodness for that, The Jewel of Turmish is nigh well impossible to find in Sweden

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 01 Nov 2005 20:31:02
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  20:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

And thank goodness for that, The Jewel of Turmish is nigh well impossible to find in Sweden

*chuckles* With me, it's the opposite--I found The Jewel of Turmish easily, but I've never seen The City of Ravens in any store.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  21:09:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw it yesterday, guess you'll have to pay Gothenburg a visit

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  21:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

*chuckles* With me, it's the opposite--I found The Jewel of Turmish easily, but I've never seen The City of Ravens in any store.

That's a shame, after City of Splendors its the best one, IMHO.

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  22:12:48  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the help, ordering them now

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  01:12:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to add some basic details to Kaje's post -

quote:

1. The City of Ravens by Richard Baker
See here:- http://candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels/21401.htm

quote:
2. Temple Hill by Drew Karpyshyn (whose forefathers, considering the last name, obviously weren't treated badly enough at Ellis Island)
See here:- http://candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels/21871.htm

quote:
3. The Jewel of Turmish by Mel Odom
See here:- http://candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels/88545.htm

quote:
4. The City of Splendours by Ed Greenwood & Elaine Cunningham
And finally, see here:- http://candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels/88776.htm

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  07:16:55  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there plans to continue the cities series after The City of Splendors? There was quite a break between The Jewel of the Turmish and City of Splendors was there not?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  19:09:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've heard, City of Splendors was to be the last Cities novel.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  00:55:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

From what I've heard, City of Splendors was to be the last Cities novel.

Quite true. It seems in keeping with the other "title-like" series of FR novels with which there are four books -- Priests, Rogues, and now Fighters being the more recent examples.

Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  02:25:17  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thysl:

Agreed, it is certainly "a shame" that the book is so difficult to locate--I still view Ravens as the best book in the series.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  03:08:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ignorance Personified

quote:
Originally posted by Thysl:

Agreed, it is certainly "a shame" that the book is so difficult to locate--I still view Ravens as the best book in the series.

And until the release of CoS, I would have agreed with you.

Ed and Elaine's grand work however, changed my opinion. 'Twas a pleasure to experience.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  20:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh well, I can still get City of Ravens online, but I'd rather just find it in a bookstore (it's nice not to have to pay for shipping).

Go to Top of Page

Kzia
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  00:22:36  Show Profile  Visit Kzia's Homepage Send Kzia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh well, I can still get City of Ravens online, but I'd rather just find it in a bookstore (it's nice not to have to pay for shipping).

Me too. But there are so many that I can't find anywhere. I've bought quite a few from Amazon, but you have to make sure that you are not ordering from too many different sellers. I've made several great buys from ebay recently, and their shipping charges are usually much more realistic. Has anyone found any online used bookstores that have alot of FR books? There are still several I need.
Thanks

Kzia

On a quest for knowledge of the Realms........
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  00:36:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kzia

Has anyone found any online used bookstores that have alot of FR books? There are still several I need.
Thanks
It depends... Where are you currently located? I know of a few online retailers, but shipping to specific countries can be costly depending upon where you live.

Go to Top of Page

Kzia
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  17:09:34  Show Profile  Visit Kzia's Homepage Send Kzia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Has anyone found any online used bookstores that have alot of FR books? There are still several I need.
Thanks
It depends... Where are you currently located? I know of a few online retailers, but shipping to specific countries can be costly depending upon where you live.

I'm in the USA, almost ordered a book from GB until I did the conversion, ouch!

Just ordered another 12 from Amazon and Ebay (that echo you hear is the sound of my empty purse). I still can't find Tymora's Luck (at a reasonable price) or The Shadow Stone.

Kzia

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  17:31:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe... I can find you both Tymora's Luck and The Shadow Stone for $4.95 AUS (the owner of the bookstore where these novels are located doesn't realise how rare these two books have become ). I'd purchase and ship them to you, but postage and handling to the US will likely be just as expensive .

Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  20:55:20  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A great site to try for finding these FR books is www.bookfinder.com. This site is basically a bot that combs through several online used book sites, including Abebooks, biblio and powells. I use it all the time for those hard-to-find books. They have Tymora's Luck for as low as $7.64, and The Shadow Stone as low as $3.00 in the US.
Go to Top of Page

Kzia
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  03:15:19  Show Profile  Visit Kzia's Homepage Send Kzia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd purchase and ship them to you, but postage and handling to the US will likely be just as expensive .

Well thank you! Postage would be a killer, but I will keep it in mind, I seem to have developed an obsession to collect all of the FR novels........

Kzia

Go to Top of Page

Kzia
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  03:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Kzia's Homepage Send Kzia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dremvek

A great site to try for finding these FR books is www.bookfinder.com.

Thanks, I will check this out. Nice to meet you btw.......

Kzia

Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  19:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, I will check this out. Nice to meet you btw.......

Likewise!
Go to Top of Page

Kzia
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  01:13:16  Show Profile  Visit Kzia's Homepage Send Kzia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dremvek

A great site to try for finding these FR books is www.bookfinder.com.

It worked, got them both,
Thank you Dremvek!

Kzia

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000