Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Monster Manual IV
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  23:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Amazon have a Monste Manual 4 listed for sale in July next year

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786939206/qid=1130799341/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-1159190-8443307?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I predict it will include the Justice Archon, Bloodhulk and the Wrackspawn (or as its known by in DDM circles the WTF)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  23:13:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention at least 25% of the book will likely be taken up by monsters that have been presented in either the new core books (i.e. the environment books that have come out over the last year, etc) or in FR or Eberron books since the MM3 came out . . . but hey, if it has a few new interesting creatures that don't require me to completely rewrite the history of how a certain monster came to be or where it lives, hey, what the heck . . .
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  23:46:56  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, new monsters are like bread and butter - they're staples of D&D life.

I can't wait to add this tome to my collection of bestiaries!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  01:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, another one and I have yet to use more than 12 monsters out of the MMIII. Methinks I need to get all my World-That-Must=Not-Be-Spoken stuff back just to have an excuse to use it...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  01:07:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive already shoe horned Justice Archons into the Realms as divine servants of Tyr (You'll see a few of them in my little Jhaamdath project)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  06:25:13  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that MM give us all something to work with. I have incorporated Warforged in some of my FR campaigns.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  07:03:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I think that MM give us all something to work with. I have incorporated Warforged in some of my FR campaigns.

C-Fb

I've been tinkering with an idea to bring a modified, alternate form of warforged into the Realms... in extremely small numbers, of course.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  07:11:42  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course - I was thinking of just naming like 10 as the creation of some mad wizard (i.e.e Halastar) and just letting them lead individual lives, etc.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  14:27:19  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, new monsters are like bread and butter - they're staples of D&D life.

I can't wait to add this tome to my collection of bestiaries!

C-Fb

Yep, I have found ways to introduce just about any creature I want into my games, at least to oppose the PCs.

When it comes to PC race selection, there are some races I will veto, just because I'm not familiar enough with them, or I just don't want them to be in my campaign.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  14:39:21  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, some of the options for PC races are quite crazy - and no matter what anyone says, Mind Flayers aren't a good choice for PCs. And especially if they are somehow a "reformed" mind flayer. That makes no sense whatsoever.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  18:00:23  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, some of the options for PC races are quite crazy - and no matter what anyone says, Mind Flayers aren't a good choice for PCs. And especially if they are somehow a "reformed" mind flayer. That makes no sense whatsoever.

C-Fb

Yep, to me anything that has an LA of more than +4 really shouldn't be played as a PC, they are just too fragile compared to the rest of the party usually.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  01:51:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CF . . . Warforged might be more of a Trobriand thing . . . but Halaster's crazy enough for anything I guess, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  04:54:43  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of course - I was thinking of just naming like 10 as the creation of some mad wizard (i.e.e Halastar) and just letting them lead individual lives, etc.

C-Fb

My idea was to have a few warforged who began life as Gondsmen but outlived their Techsmith creators. They would be found mostly in Lantan, but those who were created by adventuring Techsmiths would have taken to adventuring in other areas of the Realms.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  08:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Nice idea, Xysma. That fits very well indeed.

Ahem, could we please keep this scroll to discussing the actual Monster Manual IV tome. Feel free to discuss Warforged in the Realms elsewhere. (i'm sure this has been discussed on another scroll at Candlekeep)

I'd be interested to see a full list of all creatures contained within the tome. Do we have any ideas as to whether this particular tome has a theme at all?

Thank ye.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  14:18:26  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just hope it has more dragons. I would like to see all of the 2E Dragons eventually make it into the 3ed tomes. Examples of such: Moonstone Dragons and Mercury Dragons. I know Mercury Dragons got a write up on the WotC website, I just would like a hardcopy.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  17:23:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know Mercury Dragons got a write up on the WotC website, I just would like a hardcopy.

Hit the "Print" button.

quote:

I just hope it has more dragons. I would like to see all of the 2E Dragons eventually make it into the 3ed tomes. Examples of such: Moonstone Dragons and Mercury Dragons.

More dragons is something I'd prefer not to see... There's already 8,001 breeds of dragons in D&D. It's overkill, to me.

The only critter type more common than dragons is the many various flavors of undead. And while undead are cool, when will they realize enough is enough? Once you've covered the basics, there's no need to provide an undead type for every conceivable situation. "The temporal wetcheesegeist is the ravenous spirit of a man who was eating a cheese sandwich when he was blown into a well by the blast of a Bigby's Crushing Tactical Nuke spell, then was hit with Time Stop and buried under blessed anvils." It's just getting ridiculous...

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  17:47:09  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's not true - there are always (ALWAYS) new demons, devils, and yugoloths as well. Can't get enough of the denizens of the lower planes! wOOt!

And if I were to print it out, I would have to go find it again, and I don't know if I could handle that work!

C-Fb

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 02 Nov 2005 17:47:54
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  18:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's not true - there are always (ALWAYS) new demons, devils, and yugoloths as well. Can't get enough of the denizens of the lower planes! wOOt!

And if I were to print it out, I would have to go find it again, and I don't know if I could handle that work!

C-Fb

There are still quite a few yugoloths that haven't been updated, IIRC.

I can always use more anything-actually, I was kind of disappointed when there were no more dragons in the MMIII.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  01:04:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still waiting on a Molydeus to come back to 3.5 . . . call me quirky.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  01:45:49  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Molydeus was a pretty cool dude - I mean, he was the ONLY guardian Daemon/Yugoloth. That's a pretty cool distinction - You're like, "Hey, I am not be the Oinoloth, but I'll tell you what..."

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  04:35:21  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

C-Fb

Ask and you shall receive: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040103a

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  05:40:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now this time, hit print!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  06:14:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Still waiting on a Molydeus to come back to 3.5 . . . call me quirky.

You and me both.

quote:
Molydeus was a pretty cool dude - I mean, he was the ONLY guardian Daemon/Yugoloth. That's a pretty cool distinction - You're like, "Hey, I am not be the Oinoloth, but I'll tell you what..."
I'm planning on running a PS campaign early next year with the focus on Khin-Oin. The general plot is shaping up to be something based around the supposed "fall" of Mydianchlarus -- with subtle suggestions laid down that Anthraxus is again on the way up.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  14:38:16  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that sounds like a cool campaign - I haven't heard any mention Anthraxus in a darn long time. Ahh, I feel my old MMs having to come out to take a gander at them again.

C-Fb

P.s. - Remember when we had simple devil name - "Oh look! There's a Bone and an Ice Devil!"

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  09:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, the more Demons, Devils, 'Loths, the better. Nothing screams "EVIL" like smacking the party around with the Demons. The first time I sprung an Arrow Demon on my party it almost resulted in a TPK. An Arrow Demon in open space at 300 feet is very, very deadly. :)

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  13:38:41  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Wilson

Indeed, the more Demons, Devils, 'Loths, the better. Nothing screams "EVIL" like smacking the party around with the Demons. The first time I sprung an Arrow Demon on my party it almost resulted in a TPK. An Arrow Demon in open space at 300 feet is very, very deadly. :)

Doesn't even need to be an open area. Just need to have places where the Arrow Demon can Teleport to that the PCs can't easily reach.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  09:17:38  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Whilst at GENCON UK yesterday, I met up with one of the artists of Monster Manual IV, who stealthily revealed to me a portfolio containing art for this upcoming tome. Stunning, to say the least! And let me say, don the full-plate and batten down the hatches...there's some NASTY stuff heading our way

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  16:22:02  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm jealous, Al! You at least going to give us a hint?

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  16:58:15  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

C-Fb

Well met

Oh very well There's a particularly nasty-looking Yuan-ti\scorpion variant that really grabbed me (not literally, I hasten to add!), a cross between what I can only say as a cloaker and a snake, a VERY vicious carnivorous plant, a clockwork wasp of some description, a... ARGH, the nightmares! the nightmares!

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  17:35:16  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, perhaps they are as bad as you say...

Clockwork Wasp! Ouch!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  20:18:40  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

C-Fb

Well met

Oh very well There's a particularly nasty-looking Yuan-ti\scorpion variant that really grabbed me (not literally, I hasten to add!), a cross between what I can only say as a cloaker and a snake, a VERY vicious carnivorous plant, a clockwork wasp of some description, a... ARGH, the nightmares! the nightmares!

<rubs hands in glee>
I can't wait to see these little buggers, or big buggers as the case might be. I know my player's won't enjoy it
<walks off cackling>

News of the Weird

Edited by - warlockco on 06 Nov 2005 20:19:16
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: