Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Monster Manual IV
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  07:06:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Enworld

Monster Manual IV An Indispensible resource containing new monsters suitable for any Dungeons & Dragons game. Monster Manual IV is the most recent volume in the best-selling Monster Manual line. Sure to be popular with both Dungeon Masters and players, this supplement to the D&D game provides descriptions for a vast array of new creatures. Each monster is illustrated and features a new stat block format that facilitates faster gameplay. In addition, the book includes sample encounters, pregenerated treasure hordes, and sidebars on how to incoporate the creatures in a Forgotten Realms or Eberron campaign. This product is tied to 2006's Year of the Dragons theme, which is a key marketing platform across the D&D RPG, novels, and miniatures brands.
by Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel, 224 pages, $34.95

The above appears in the latest WOTC cateloge (Nicked from Enworld)

Notice the Year of rogue Dragon reference....

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  07:42:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So we are likely to see many more particular dragon types included in this new MM perhaps...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  08:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Each monster is illustrated and features a new stat block format that facilitates faster gameplay.

I was wondering if this would include the new stat block format for monster entries-now I'm just left wondering if it will be the exact same as the NPC entry or a different one...
quote:
In addition, the book includes sample encounters, pregenerated treasure hordes, and sidebars on how to incoporate the creatures in a Forgotten Realms or Eberron campaign.

Oo, nice-interesting that they're changing the setting-specific information to sidebars now. I hope also that it's not as Eberron-biased as the MMIII was...
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  01:35:20  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MM IV? cool! :D :)
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  19:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just noticed the blurb says "sample encounters and pre-generated treasure hordes" They probably meant "hoard" not "horde", unless they mean some kind of treausure monster that swarms in hordes. Which could be interesting come to think of it.

Has anyone ever done a pile of gold that is really an ooze? You reach down for the gold and suddenly get a surprise slam attack...

I know there was an old monster that looked like a gold coin but was really a biting insect. If you stacked a bunch of them up or put them in a pile, you could use swarm rules for the little buggers and that would definitely make for an interesting encounter.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  19:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Oo, nice-interesting that they're changing the setting-specific information to sidebars now. I hope also that it's not as Eberron-biased as the MMIII was...

I imagine it will be a little bit Eberon biassed, if only for the reason that Forgotten Realms is getting its own dragon book. While Eberon has an extensive dragon mythology that warrants inclusion in a sourcebook, and they probably don't have anywhere else to put it.

I am predicting new dream dragons or nightmare dragons, some sort of quori/dragon hybrid, but I am just guessing.

But I love that they will have sidebars telling you how to use the creatures in the Realms, I thought that was pretty keen in MMIII.

And really I think the idea of sample encounters and pre-generated hoards is a truly spiffy idea that could be genuinely useful for me as a DM. Helps cut down on the scut work of putting a game together. Capitol idea!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  20:04:28  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't mind the MMIII being a bit Eberron biased - I mean, Faerun still has its own Monster book.

Just remember - WotC's trying to build a whole new world - a lot of the material will be for it.

Unless we take out Keith Baker.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  20:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson
I know there was an old monster that looked like a gold coin but was really a biting insect. If you stacked a bunch of them up or put them in a pile, you could use swarm rules for the little buggers and that would definitely make for an interesting encounter.

Yep, those were updated in the 3e Draconomicon, IIRC.
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  01:18:48  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though I prefer 2e Realms, the one saving grace for me are monster tomes, as creature ideas cross editions. I'm looking forward to this book as I am towards all creature compendiums.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  13:26:30  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel's previous works, so I'm very keen on this new product.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 30 Nov 2005 13:28:43
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  00:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray RichardsonBut I love that they will have sidebars telling you how to use the creatures in the Realms, I thought that was pretty keen in MMIII.

Indeed, that was wonderful; I loved it.

Ooh, maybe there will be new (as in updated) beholderkin! Eye of the Deep, anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  00:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aquanova

quote:
Originally posted by Gray RichardsonBut I love that they will have sidebars telling you how to use the creatures in the Realms, I thought that was pretty keen in MMIII.

Ooh, maybe there will be new (as in updated) beholderkin! Eye of the Deep, anyone?

Those were done in Lords of Madness, no reason to reprint them in the MMIV.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  00:47:29  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

I like Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel's previous works, so I'm very keen on this new product.

She did have author credits for the Book of Erotic Fantasy, which makes me wonder about the monsters contained therein!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  03:02:55  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

She did have author credits for the Book of Erotic Fantasy, which makes me wonder about the monsters contained therein!

C-Fb

Shouldn't that be a line from Wooly?

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  14:29:07  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

But you know they have a habit of repeating stuff in other sourcebooks. Though I really hope that stop that annoying bit. I am hoping for the return of the Blindheim and the Froghemoth.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  14:43:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm . . . a few months ago the Froghemoth appered in Dungeon Magazine, and the Blindheim appears this month in Dragon.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  14:46:14  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hm . . . a few months ago the Froghemoth appered in Dungeon Magazine, and the Blindheim appears this month in Dragon.

I guess if I ask, I shall receive! Thanks, KEJR - now I just have to track down that Dungeon. I love my frog monsters.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  17:12:20  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frog monsters are very cool . . . when our Tunlar returns home and I give them an excuse to get near the old glass city ruins, I am thinking of busting out the old Froghemoth on them . . . its a rediculous monster, and yet so awesome . . .
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  17:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

quote:

quote:

quote:

But you know they have a habit of repeating stuff in other sourcebooks. Though I really hope that stop that annoying bit. I am hoping for the return of the Blindheim and the Froghemoth.

C-Fb

Spells and feats, yes-monsters, no, unless they're updating them to 3.5.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  07:07:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And we have the WotC Product entry now:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/953767200

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  05:09:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We now have an art gallery for this book.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  06:08:21  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it just me, or is there something seriously lacking in the art in this one? I only saw half a dozen, tops, that caught my eye.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  01:37:53  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Is it just me, or is there something seriously lacking in the art in this one?
I'd say it's you.

Seriously though, my reaction from looking at the art of this book last night was neutral. I'm already on the fence about the book and the art didn't leave me wanting to buy the book any more or less.

Have to admit I probably will pick up the book, for completeness sake (and because it'll make my brand-spankin-new bookshelves look so damn cool ).

I'd say there's nothing overtly wrong with the art at all, though, beyond what subjective attitudes (such as a yearning for book traits to be 'as they were') us old-schoolers regularly apply to such things.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 11 Jul 2006 07:37:32
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  01:45:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is it just me, or is there something seriously lacking in the art in this one? I only saw half a dozen, tops, that caught my eye.

Not sure, I stopped looking at the current art a long time ago cause it doesn't interest me. :) Very rarely do I find a piece in the current material, current as in 2000 till now, that speaks to me or gives me any ideas on how to use it's scene for a scene in a campaign.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  01:51:02  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Githyanki didn't look right to me at all, but I have to say I kinda liked the orcs . . . I was never a big fan of the "pig people" look that started to dominate orc depiction. The yugoloth looked kind of cool . . . and let me preface this by saying, this isn't a comment on the actual creatures, because I've only seen stats for a few of them . . . but why must the Spawn of Tiamat have names that sound like rejected Yu-Gi-Oh cards?
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  03:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The Githyanki didn't look right to me at all, but I have to say I kinda liked the orcs . . . I was never a big fan of the "pig people" look that started to dominate orc depiction. The yugoloth looked kind of cool . . . and let me preface this by saying, this isn't a comment on the actual creatures, because I've only seen stats for a few of them . . . but why must the Spawn of Tiamat have names that sound like rejected Yu-Gi-Oh cards?

Didn't you know, it's the precursor to the D&D 3e CCG, of which the Spawn of Tiamat will be the first set.

Actually, I'm surprised there isn't a D&D card game by now...

After looking through the Monster Manual 4 art gallery I skimmed through the previous Monster Manual art galleries to get an overview of what has come before. I feel the latest offerings are less inspiring that the previous art. This isn't even looking back at pre-3e. The monster ideas just don't seem interesting, which more than likely affected the orders and descriptions sent to the artists. It appears the book has a lot of humanoids with minor feature differences, advanced regular races, blob beings and ghostly figures, and take cool creatures and make lesser/greater versions (e.g. Dragons). All of those concepts seem to have been better executed in previous products. There also seem to be fewer monsters, but perhaps not all the art was posted, since some of the previews hinted at creatures not shown in the gallery.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  04:00:19  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was an AD&D CCG called Spellfire. :)

It was pretty horrible, from what I've heard, and they used all recycled art.

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  04:09:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

Didn't you know, it's the precursor to the D&D 3e CCG, of which the Spawn of Tiamat will be the first set.

Actually, I'm surprised there isn't a D&D card game by now...

There was. When Magic was at its height, several companies tried to ape its success, with varying degrees of success. TSR gave us the CCG Spellfire. I liked it, though I can't tell you how it compared to other CCGs, since the only other one I ever played was Rage. Though I no longer have all the other cards, I do still have the different Spellfire decks I built (One each for Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and Ravenloft; two Forgotten Realms decks, and a psionic deck).

Ironically, my FLGS got in a mislabled box. It read "Sellfire".

quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

After looking through the Monster Manual 4 art gallery I skimmed through the previous Monster Manual art galleries to get an overview of what has come before. I feel the latest offerings are less inspiring that the previous art. This isn't even looking back at pre-3e. The monster ideas just don't seem interesting, which more than likely affected the orders and descriptions sent to the artists. It appears the book has a lot of humanoids with minor feature differences, advanced regular races, blob beings and ghostly figures, and take cool creatures and make lesser/greater versions (e.g. Dragons). All of those concepts seem to have been better executed in previous products. There also seem to be fewer monsters, but perhaps not all the art was posted, since some of the previews hinted at creatures not shown in the gallery.

I've long been underwhelmed by the art...

I've pointed this out before, though: the two creature types we always seem to see more of are dragons (or critters related to dragons) and the undead. While I understand that dragons and the undead have a treasured place in the game, and that variations are good, I got sick of the parade of "Undead of the week" and "dragon of the week" monsters back when 2E was still going quite strong.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  04:14:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There was an AD&D CCG called Spellfire. :)

It was pretty horrible, from what I've heard, and they used all recycled art.

My friends and I enjoyed it, though none of us played Magic, so we can't make any comparison.

TSR was big on reusing art.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  04:27:19  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I hadn't heard much about the actual gameplay. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000