Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Frostburn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  17:27:17  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The picture gallery is up for Frostburn.
The chapters are:
Chapter 1: The Frostfell
Chapter 2: Races, Classes, and Feats
Chapter 3: Prestige Classes
Chapter 4: Equipment
Chapter 5: Magic of the Frostfell
Chapter 6: Monsters of the Frostfell
Chapter 7: Adventure Sites

It looks like there may be a new race introduced here, the Frostfell. Or, maybe they are just the default culture(like vikings).
Dire wooly mammoths, cool.
Midgard Dwarf, very cool. Now I can start that viking campaign with dwarves, giants, and human vikings!
Blue ice(armor?)-wicked
New gods.
This just went to the top of my list unless Shining South comes out before I can buy this.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  17:59:10  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

The picture gallery is up for Frostburn.
The chapters are:
Chapter 1: The Frostfell
Chapter 2: Races, Classes, and Feats
Chapter 3: Prestige Classes
Chapter 4: Equipment
Chapter 5: Magic of the Frostfell
Chapter 6: Monsters of the Frostfell
Chapter 7: Adventure Sites

It looks like there may be a new race introduced here, the Frostfell. Or, maybe they are just the default culture(like vikings).
Dire wooly mammoths, cool.
Midgard Dwarf, very cool. Now I can start that viking campaign with dwarves, giants, and human vikings!
Blue ice(armor?)-wicked
New gods.
This just went to the top of my list unless Shining South comes out before I can buy this.

Hmm, I am thinking of buying this as well. Alltough I can just go out later this winter and get my own frostburn. Oooh, so lame I know

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  18:02:13  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That Dire Polar bear looks vicous btw.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  23:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup looks like some awesome art but I've come to expect that Looks like a great supplement tome from what I've seen so far. I will definitely be picking up this tome sometime in the future as well as the rest of the series.

An idea from this series: I think climate specific regions would work so much easier than the city regions being used now. Taking starting feats and equipment from these books. Perhaps just as alternative idea for a DM I think it would be cool.

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2004 :  08:30:54  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

An idea from this series: I think climate specific regions would work so much easier than the city regions being used now. Taking starting feats and equipment from these books. Perhaps just as alternative idea for a DM I think it would be cool.

i hope wizards will do a similar book for jungle regions! apart from "the jungles of chult", some parts of "serpent kingdoms" and a very few articles in older dragon mags, i coulnd´t find any usefuel informations on rainforests yet.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2004 :  17:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is fast becoming my favorite supplement this year.
I want it.
Now.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  14:23:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An excerpt is now available.
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  14:55:56  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently "The Frostfell" is a region that serves as the excuse to get all this stuff in one place and act as non campaign specific example area for implementing it.

I eagerly await this book, as it might enrich my game's activities in the north. It will also let me answer questions of what is in the north during winter, to which I have thus replied "certain death".

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 15 Sep 2004 18:10:03
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  17:53:47  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks very nice. *wipes drool from mouth*

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2004 :  12:55:41  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just what D&D needs - more feats and Prestige Classes

Every time I almost upgrade to 3.5 Edition, something like this appears to make me decide not to.

They must have really struggled with the Frostrager. At one point it says:

"This terrible fury not only causes the frostrager to increase in size when he enters his battle rage, but infuses his fists and weapons with cold shards of ice"

but then it suggests that:

"... trauma unhinges the character's mind enough that he decides to become a frostrager ..."

So deciding to become a Frostrager infuses your fists with shards of ice? Can't we do better than that.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  13:53:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The two new races introduced in this tome, are the Neanderthals and the Uldras. The Neanderthals, obviously, are a feral race of humans who were created by cruel and vile powers in the cold lands of the north. Their favored class is barbarian.

The Uldras, are a small fey race that dweels in the artic wilderlands. They live in harmony with the natural world. Their favored class is druid.

One of the more interesting twists on older material, presented in this book, is the use of the imprisoned Arch-Devil Levistus, as a primary partron of clerics who devote themselves to principles he exemplifies, in the Frostfell.

Ulutui, from the FR setting, is also mentioned in brief.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  15:31:15  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

Just what D&D needs - more feats and Prestige Classes

Every time I almost upgrade to 3.5 Edition, something like this appears to make me decide not to.

They must have really struggled with the Frostrager. At one point it says:

"This terrible fury not only causes the frostrager to increase in size when he enters his battle rage, but infuses his fists and weapons with cold shards of ice"

but then it suggests that:

"... trauma unhinges the character's mind enough that he decides to become a frostrager ..."

So deciding to become a Frostrager infuses your fists with shards of ice? Can't we do better than that.

LOL!

So true! I skimmed the book at my local gaming store a few days ago, and I concluded this was another Core lameness of the month. They seem to come up with one every month these days (in this case, two, as MMIII came out simultaneously...)

Reinforced my decision not to buy anything without the FR logo on it.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2004 :  17:18:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Web Enhancement is now available.

Additionally, this product is now available as a PDF.

I'm about to post a new thread in this forum on the latter subject.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2004 :  04:46:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D20 Magazine Rack has a review up for this product.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  15:10:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new review from one of ENWorld's reviewers is now up.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  22:22:22  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone else notice that more creatures mentioned in Elaine Cunningham's Windwalker book ended up in this book then in the Unapproachable East?
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  20:31:06  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm ... thinking of making Hleid a young interloper deity fleeing to Aber-Toril shortly before ToT. starting out before gaining a nice band of worshippers, by running right into ToT and some battles with Auril which she only just lived though, and survieving the rest hiding on the northen tip of Icewind Dale, hidden by a small neigh forgotten clan of actic dwarves, that believed that she was a half-ice mephit. after ToT she have begun gaining followers on the glaciers and at the nomadic tribes of Icewind dale but is mostly unknown by any civilized race not living on the tundra. Even though she haven't met him in person she have wacthed the spare worshippers of Ulutiu and found them a suitable macth and are at the moment thinking of a way to wake Ulutiu and make a pact with him making a believeable contendter to Auril's might in the cold wastes.

what'ya think?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  09:33:07  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a good book. In my FR campaign one of my players, Guermundr, is in fact a glacier dwarf from the book. I use glacier dwarfs in my campaign as a nearly extinct dwarven race. There are only a few tribes scattered in the Northern regions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000