Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Unfamiliar Language
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  04:26:00  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey, I'm not familiar with the language Alzhedo. Can anyone give me some bacground please?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  04:33:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, Alzhedo is a language used in Calimshan, mostly at court. It's connected to the dialect of various jinni types from the Elemental Plane of Air, and is likely derived from it.

Most of the 2e tomes dealing with Calimshan in some way, shape, or form have details on the language.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Oct 2005 04:43:45
Go to Top of Page

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  13:05:36  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank's Sage.

Unfortunately I do not have any of the 2e stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  13:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it is also mentioned in Player's Guide to Faerun if you are someone who has access to 3/3.5 books.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  14:33:29  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alzhedo was supposed to be the equivalent to Arabic, if I am not mistaken. Wasn't it delved into more with the Al-Qadim set? I remember it being mentioned in there even those that was not part of Faerun.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  14:58:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shike

Thank's Sage.

Well then, I'll quote the relevant text from the Empires of the Sands supplement, from pgs. 48-49:-

quote:
The language of Calimshan is called Alzhedo. It is very closely related to the language spoken on the Elemental Plane of Air, and this fact lends creedence to the theory that the first civilizations in the Calimshan area were made up of travelers from that plane. Alzhedo is spoken at court, in all government and judicial proceedings, and throughout polite Calimshan society.
The Chult and Shaar races in Calimshan speak their native languages among themselves, but speak either Alzhedo or common when dealing with other Calishites.
Alzhedo is a very difficult language to learn; even many natives who grow up speaking it do not speak it well. Calishites are well aware of this fact, and while they are proud of their language and are honored by outsiders' attempts to use it, they understand the need to speak common in many situations.

I hope that helps .

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Oct 2005 14:59:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  17:34:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank's Sage.

Though it's not the ideal solution for some, there's a good amount of older stuff for free on the Wizards downloads page.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Oct 2005 17:35:03
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  21:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Alzhedo was supposed to be the equivalent to Arabic, if I am not mistaken. Wasn't it delved into more with the Al-Qadim set? I remember it being mentioned in there even those that was not part of Faerun.
Midani is the language of Zakhara and the Bedine of Anauroch.

Presumably Midani is the language of the human peoples that migrated to Zakhara from another world by way of portals. While Alzhedo is derived from the language of the Djinn.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  03:53:07  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Midani[/i] is the language of Zakhara and the Bedine of Anauroch.

Hello-

Hmmm - not that its directly related - and I'm more curious than anything - but has there been any reasoning/explanation of why Zakhara natives and the Bedine both speak the same language?

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  05:06:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Hmmm - not that its directly related - and I'm more curious than anything - but has there been any reasoning/explanation of why Zakhara natives and the Bedine both speak the same language?

Dhomal

Races of Faerun. Some of the Bedine ancestors moved from Zakhara to Anauroch.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Oct 2005 05:06:44
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  16:15:43  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what reason? Who knows? Because they would have had to come after the Anauroch became the desert that it is - and that means the people from Zakhara had to cross through the Silver Marches before choosing to live in the harshest environs known to Realmsmen.

And Zakhara was more based on Central America, was it not? And since Djinn are the in the province of Arabia, I would think Alzhedo would be more Arabic.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  17:11:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For what reason? Who knows? Because they would have had to come after the Anauroch became the desert that it is - and that means the people from Zakhara had to cross through the Silver Marches before choosing to live in the harshest environs known to Realmsmen.

And Zakhara was more based on Central America, was it not? And since Djinn are the in the province of Arabia, I would think Alzhedo would be more Arabic.

C-Fb

No, you're thinking of Maztica. Zakhara is more ancient middle-east while Maztica is more ancient central america. Zakhara is also SW of Kara-tur or SE of Faerun.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  17:31:17  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah... that's right. Too many outlying lands to keep track of. :)

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  12:51:33  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And they'd not have to cross the Silver Marches if they came through portals.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  13:14:47  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

C-Fb

The Bedine arrived via a portal a very long time ago.
As to how that occurred, I'm not sure if it was ever officially given.
Best sources would be Races of Faerun (3E) and FR13 Anauroch (2E).

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  15:14:08  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It just doesn't make sense that a group of people would stay in the Anauroch by choice. Not when on either side of it, there is fresh, fertile land. I guess it's the same way I felt when the Barabarians left Settlestone and headed back to the tundra plains. Just doesn't make sense to step your people backwards. Ah well..

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  17:36:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It just doesn't make sense that a group of people would stay in the Anauroch by choice. Not when on either side of it, there is fresh, fertile land. I guess it's the same way I felt when the Barabarians left Settlestone and headed back to the tundra plains. Just doesn't make sense to step your people backwards. Ah well..

C-Fb

They're old Zakharans with thier crazy Loregiver and belief in thousands of deities. What other reason do you need? :) Besides, they like the desert because Zakhara is mostly desert. Of course, the Bedine no longer worship the same deities as thier ancestors.

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Oct 2005 17:58:02
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  17:48:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

C-Fb

Well, it's there home for one. It's where they've made a culture for themselves. Their beliefs and their identities as a people are intimately tied to the land... it's part of who they are.

Cherishing and supporting your cultural identity doesn't seem like taking a step back to me... it's obviously important for the Bedine tribes, and in the end, that's all that really matters.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  18:42:42  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so, the aborigines that dwell in your country that adapt your ways and succeed aren't good, because they are not supporting their cultural identity?

You can keep your cultural identity and progress in the world. If you want to see an example of it, come to Los Angeles. Tons of people have left their homes and kept their cultural identity. It's about progress forward in the world. Progression towards a service-based economy is natural and should be embraced.

The Bedine can keep their cultural identity, but torturing themselves by living in a harsh land when they do not have to is idiotic.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  20:08:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Bedine can keep their cultural identity, but torturing themselves by living in a harsh land when they do not have to is idiotic.

C-Fb

It's a way of life for them. Their culture was shaped, in part, by their environment. For some cultures, leaving their ancestral lands just to have an easier life is absolutely unthinkable.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  22:59:53  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, maybe I am just applying real-world logic when I shouldn't. I apologize. It's not like my arguments would move the Bedine if I could make them personally to them.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  01:30:34  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, maybe I am just applying real-world logic when I shouldn't. I apologize. It's not like my arguments would move the Bedine if I could make them personally to them.

C-Fb

Hmm, I seem to recall the Oil Princes of the Middle East still living in the deserts of their forefathers...

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  01:40:26  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but aren't they living in mansions now? They have not reverted to the way of their ancestors. That was the point I was making. And unless there is oil underneath the Anauroch and a diesel engine from Lantan, might as well give it up.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  01:46:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

C-Fb

It's a way of life for them. Their culture was shaped, in part, by their environment. For some cultures, leaving their ancestral lands just to have an easier life is absolutely unthinkable.

Right! Exactly what I was saying...

quote:
Ok, so, the aborigines that dwell in your country that adapt your ways and succeed aren't good, because they are not supporting their cultural identity?
And just to relate this to the actual discussion, most aborigines who have adapted to the ways of western culture in Australia still find some way to promote their own beliefs and cultural customs in their daily lives. In fact, some even still return to their tribes for extensive periods to observe some element of their culture.

I would imagine that many Bedine who integrate themselves into the more modernised societies of locales to the south of Anauroch would do the same... returning to their homeland every so often... to remember and reflect upon who they are and where they come from.

quote:
How is living in a harsh environment torturing themselves, especially when that environment is what makes them who they are as a people?

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  02:41:26  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was agreeing with you for the most part, Sage. I was just saying - ok, listen to my example -

American Indians - they now live on reservations in my country and on those reservations, they still speak their language, practice their customs - the whole lot. But they now use things that are not from their culture, and they had been since the Pilgrims first landed.

Torturing was a bit strong. I know they know how and like to live in the desert - but I am just thinking that they would do better if they had local trade w/some of the outlying regions beyond the Anauroch, especially now that the Shades are back.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  02:59:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're starting to stray from the original topic...

Go to Top of Page

shike
Seeker

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  00:51:05  Show Profile  Visit shike's Homepage Send shike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Thank's Sage.

Well then, I'll quote the relevant text from the Empires of the Sands supplement, from pgs. 48-49:-

quote:
The language of Calimshan is called Alzhedo. It is very closely related to the language spoken on the Elemental Plane of Air, and this fact lends creedence to the theory that the first civilizations in the Calimshan area were made up of travelers from that plane. Alzhedo is spoken at court, in all government and judicial proceedings, and throughout polite Calimshan society.
The Chult and Shaar races in Calimshan speak their native languages among themselves, but speak either Alzhedo or common when dealing with other Calishites.
Alzhedo is a very difficult language to learn; even many natives who grow up speaking it do not speak it well. Calishites are well aware of this fact, and while they are proud of their language and are honored by outsiders' attempts to use it, they understand the need to speak common in many situations.

I hope that helps .

Thank you. I don't actually have any of the territory specific realms books, considering I haven't played in the realms since just before the PG came out. But thank you very much for the information.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  01:44:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a problem.

As always, we are here to help .

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000