Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help me start a civil war in Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MojoGM
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  15:18:12  Show Profile  Visit MojoGM's Homepage Send MojoGM a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all,

Long time lurker here. I need the help of some Cormyr scholars to shake up the Realms a bit.

Here is my train of thought:

Awhile ago I read about some story about the Royal Family of England and how there was a first child way back in the line that should have been the next to get the throne, and if you followed the line down it made some truck driver from Wales the true king.

Nothing ever happened with it (that I recall seeing) but it got me thinking:

What if in the past there was a first-born child that for some reason did not grow up with the family. Maybe he was thought dead, and raised by another noble family? It doesn't have to be true, just feasible. And there can be some written proof that pops up (again, whether it is genuine or a forgery is an open question).

Anyway, it just so happens that if you follow this revised line, the real king would be this noble who just so happens to be building support.

I can see all sorts of cool adventures centering around the documents themselves and the unrest and challenge to the throne.

At this point I'm still in the planning stages, but would like to start planting the seeds for this.

Thus, I come to you for help. What do you all know about the royal line? How far back can the anomaly occur, and what family do you think could fit the bill?

Any ideas would be appreciated! (because I'm not sure where to go with this)

Thanks!

~Chris (MojoGM)

We Must Believe in Free Will, We Have No Choice

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  15:45:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MojoGM
Any ideas would be appreciated! (because I'm not sure where to go with this)
Thanks!

~Chris (MojoGM)

Are you set on this specific idea? Because Cormyr had a civil war not that long ago. Although different in origins from your own, it would present wonderful opportunities for role-playing.
Go to Top of Page

MojoGM
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  15:57:46  Show Profile  Visit MojoGM's Homepage Send MojoGM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sirius,

My game is set in 1372 (currently Uktar), so it probably has to be something new.

I know, I'm really not cutting Cormyr a break, they've just been through a lot but I figure one can always shake the tree a little more.

I'm not dead-set on the idea, so I'm definately open to suggestions/revisions on the plan.

What was the recent civil war? I know there was one in the past (in the Cormyr Novel) and the recent Ghazneth thing with the dragon (and the death of Azoun). But hey, it's been almost a year without a crisis, and I'd like to drastically change the nation and cause even more trouble.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  16:12:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MojoGM
What was the recent civil war? I know there was one in the past (in the Cormyr Novel)

That was the one I mentioned.

quote:

But hey, it's been almost a year without a crisis, and I'd like to drastically change the nation and cause even more trouble.

Good luck then and have fun with your campaign.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  16:33:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Azoun IV has many, many, many children that are not from his queen.... I'm sure some where, in the past, some of those children of the royal line had to cause trouble, so why can't Azoun IV's do the same? :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Apr 2005 16:34:31
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  17:21:22  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a) Kill Filfaeril
b) Kill Alusair
c) Kill Azoun V

Stir briskly.

Instant civil war!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  17:28:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Obarskyrs are a lusty bunch... I'm sure that in Cormyr's history there were many times that the king's first-born was not the heir to the throne...

With that in mind, it may be a bit more difficult to make a case as to why this royal bastard should get the throne instead of that one, or why either should get the throne over someone who is/was an Obarskyr heir by blood and marriage.

Oh, and if you go too far back, then you'd wind up with the issue of whose royal blood was the most recent... Some might favor one of Azoun IV's illegitimate kids, some might say this illegitimate grandson of Rhigaerd II is the proper choice...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Apr 2005 17:34:51
Go to Top of Page

MojoGM
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  18:05:56  Show Profile  Visit MojoGM's Homepage Send MojoGM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Well Azoun IV has many, many, many children that are not from his queen.... I'm sure some where, in the past, some of those children of the royal line had to cause trouble, so why can't Azoun IV's do the same? :)

This was my initial thought. But then thought if I go back in history a way it would make for a more convuluted (thus harder to prove false) claim. I'm not even fully decided if it will be true or a totally bogus claim that someone is trying to slip past.

Go to Top of Page

MojoGM
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  18:08:03  Show Profile  Visit MojoGM's Homepage Send MojoGM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

a) Kill Filfaeril
b) Kill Alusair
c) Kill Azoun V

Stir briskly.

Instant civil war!

Filfaeril...got it
Alusair...sounds good.
Azoun V....I think I'll leave him alive...for possible future storylines.

The question becomes, how to kill them in a plausible manner? They are very well protected and Alusair is a dangerous opponent herself.

Go to Top of Page

MojoGM
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  18:11:18  Show Profile  Visit MojoGM's Homepage Send MojoGM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Oh, and if you go too far back, then you'd wind up with the issue of whose royal blood was the most recent... Some might favor one of Azoun IV's illegitimate kids, some might say this illegitimate grandson of Rhigaerd II is the proper choice...

Good idea...the question now becomes which past king and the details...

Maybe a scenario where the firstborn son was thought dead (through some trickery) and moved to another family to replace a lost child...I don't know...I feel there is something here I just need to put it all together.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  21:33:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know... In another fantasy setting known to at least a couple of us, there was a guy named Erik. Erik's mother had been married in a secret, private ceremony to the local baron. But then the king called on the baron to marry someone else (for political reasons), and the first marriage was annulled. And the priest who performed the ceremony had, as I recall, died in the interim, as well.

So when the mother popped up claiming her son was the baron's firstborn, she had no proof. There was nothing to refute her claim, but nothing to back it up, either. The baron simply kept quiet about it.

I'm tossing this out in case it might offer some inspiration.

Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  21:59:18  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you could always have Alusair have a child that pops up and wants the throne and trys to take it, killing his mother whom doesn;t have the heart to strike down her own, and his grandmother a casualty of the insueing battle.

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  23:52:56  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... what Wooly mentioned earlier about illigitamate children had me remember something. In the novel Cormyr, there was a Red Wizardress who had charmed King Azoun IV with her spells. It was during the time of Gondegal's rebellion in Arabel. She had "bedded" him and according to the Red Wizardress before her demise, she announced that she had given birth to a child of the king.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  00:24:01  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flash points for a civil war

1) The many Iligitimate children of Azoun IV

2)Both Arabel and Marsember have revolted against Suzail in the past

3)The nation is not in good shape in recent years, the King and Crown Princess have died, theres been a conspiracy to over throw the Royal family, theres been famine in Cormyr due to work of the Shades, and the Devil Dragon and its allies have rampaged across the country side

4) Tilverton has been destroyed by the war with Shade and Arabel was sacked by the Devil Dragons forces

5) There are quite a few groups wanting "Regime change" in Cormyr, these include the Fire Knives, Sembia, Various Cormyrian Noble families who feel they can do a better job, the Banite Zhents, the Darkhold Cyricist Zhents and Shade Enclave

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 19 Apr 2005 00:24:37
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  00:34:00  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, what was that saying about Arabel? "A rebel in Arabel." Lol.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  00:40:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

They never caught the guy who started Arabels last revolt, I believe his name was Gondgal or something similar and I hear he ended up in Ravensloft

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  00:49:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

They never caught the guy who started Arabels last revolt, I believe his name was Gondgal or something similar and I hear he ended up in Ravensloft

Yup. The Mists grabbed him as he was following the age-old tradition of trying to save his skin.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  02:39:17  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, could you perhaps provide more detail on this? I've never heard about what happened to Gondegal...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  02:40:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gondegal, the "Lost King." More information about his rebellion can be found in the Cormyr accessory in the History section of Arabel.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  03:03:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly, could you perhaps provide more detail on this? I've never heard about what happened to Gondegal...

I don't recall there being too much info beyond that...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  18:28:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't recall there being too much info beyond that...

I recalled reading a bit about Gondegal in a Ravenloft product review a couple of years ago. A search of the web produced the following link. I've posted the mention of Gondegal below:

quote:

The DM’s attached notes are a mixed bag of effects but usually quite positive. Azalin and Vlad Dracov remain more or less unchanged from their old write-ups but it is good to see the Old Lich King back in action. Death is no longer a crazy one-dimensional sorcerer but more a force of nature (he is a negative energy elemental) which is more frightening in my opinion. Victor Mordheim has his science levels written up and extensive levels of expert, which open up a great number of vistas in third edition. Gondegal (from Forgotten Realms Arabel) is included as Vlad Dracov’s continuing nemesis.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  22:19:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Flash points for a civil war

1) The many Iligitimate children of Azoun IV

2)Both Arabel and Marsember have revolted against Suzail in the past

3)The nation is not in good shape in recent years, the King and Crown Princess have died, theres been a conspiracy to over throw the Royal family, theres been famine in Cormyr due to work of the Shades, and the Devil Dragon and its allies have rampaged across the country side

4) Tilverton has been destroyed by the war with Shade and Arabel was sacked by the Devil Dragons forces

5) There are quite a few groups wanting "Regime change" in Cormyr, these include the Fire Knives, Sembia, Various Cormyrian Noble families who feel they can do a better job, the Banite Zhents, the Darkhold Cyricist Zhents and Shade Enclave

I think these are great points, Dargoth... indeed there are a lot of illegitimate heirs to the Dragon Throne around. Not to mention the powerful enemies of Cormyr, who would all probably like to see a weak-willed (possibly mind-controlled) puppet king on the throne.

It is also a good point that Sembia and Cormyr have also had their share of disputes, and the wealthy merchant country surely has resources to hire any number of mercenaries or adventurers to do the dirty deed.

I think the most ambitious (and disloyal) noble families would each try to produce their own "legal heir" to the throne - and split into cabals - in case a new contestant to the throne would appear.

I think that the possibility for a civil war in Cormyr is very real.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  00:45:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reference to Gondegal ending up in Ravenloft is actually a small snippet in FR13 Anauroch accessory. I recall Ed saying once that TSR asked him for a list of NPCs to do some 'stuff with' and he gave it to them and included Gondegal. Next thing he heard, Gondegal was in Ravenloft. IIRC, the sentence in FR13 wasn't written by Ed but added in after his draft submission.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  02:50:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The reference to Gondegal ending up in Ravenloft is actually a small snippet in FR13 Anauroch accessory. I recall Ed saying once that TSR asked him for a list of NPCs to do some 'stuff with' and he gave it to them and included Gondegal. Next thing he heard, Gondegal was in Ravenloft. IIRC, the sentence in FR13 wasn't written by Ed but added in after his draft submission.

-- George Krashos

It was also in the first Ravenloft boxed set, where Gondegal got a full write-up (albeit a short one).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  03:37:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

It was also in the first Ravenloft boxed set, where Gondegal got a full write-up (albeit a short one).

And still, in the 3e updates, we see that Gondegal has retained his place in Ravenloft but is now instead simply referred to as "the Lost King". Any mention to his time before Ravenloft refers to a world known for a powerful "forest kingdom".

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  15:08:55  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

I think the most ambitious (and disloyal) noble families would each try to produce their own "legal heir" to the throne - and split into cabals - in case a new contestant to the throne would appear.

I think that the possibility for a civil war in Cormyr is very real.

In my campaign a number of nobles had a secret organization called the Knights of Immeresk ... named after one of the sub-kingdoms that Cormyr eventualy absorbed. Their goal had long been the reestablishment of the kingdom of Immeresk, and this became a real possibility following the sacking of Old Cormyr North, the death of Azoun IV, the placing of an untested infant upon the throne, and the destruction of Tilverton.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  21:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf

In my campaign a number of nobles had a secret organization called the Knights of Immeresk ... named after one of the sub-kingdoms that Cormyr eventualy absorbed. Their goal had long been the reestablishment of the kingdom of Immeresk, and this became a real possibility following the sacking of Old Cormyr North, the death of Azoun IV, the placing of an untested infant upon the throne, and the destruction of Tilverton.

I wish we would have more information about these small kingdoms (such as Esparin) and the other "independent holds" that were eventually swallowed up by Cormyr... Is Immeresk part of "canon" Realmslore, or did you make it up?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  03:31:56  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf

I wish we would have more information about these small kingdoms (such as Esparin) and the other "independent holds" that were eventually swallowed up by Cormyr... Is Immeresk part of "canon" Realmslore, or did you make it up?
Immeresk isn't canon. As for information on the small kingdoms, I'll see what I can do...
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  06:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is Immeresk part of "canon" Realmslore, or did you make it up?

I'm not sure if it's part of canon or not. Garen Thal is probably right.

To boot, someone else, over on the Realms-L list, made it up.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  18:03:46  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Immeresk isn't canon. As for information on the small kingdoms, I'll see what I can do...

One of Edīs Dragon articles mentioned at least one keep in eastern Cormyr (near Wheloon?) that was conquered and swallowed up by Cormyr. I donīt have the Dragon, so I cannot be sure.

Thank thee in advance, Garen! If you have any information about the Mages Regal (in addition to what little was revealed in FRCS), and their relation to Sword Heralds, please tell us

Also, if you happen to know when the Sword Heralds were founded, and when they went into "hiding", Iīd be very grateful! (VGtC only mentions that they were active "hundreds of years ago")

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  18:19:03  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
One of Edīs Dragon articles mentioned at least one keep in eastern Cormyr (near Wheloon?) that was conquered and swallowed up by Cormyr. I donīt have the Dragon, so I cannot be sure.
Hullack Hall. Dragon #281.
quote:
Thank thee in advance, Garen! If you have any information about the Mages Regal (in addition to what little was revealed in FRCS), and their relation to Sword Heralds, please tell us
I'm afraid I have no information at all to share on this matter.
quote:
Also, if you happen to know when the Sword Heralds were founded, and when they went into "hiding", Iīd be very grateful! (VGtC only mentions that they were active "hundreds of years ago")
According to Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves, the Sword Heralds started operating circa 620DR. In Cloak and Dagger, Khelben Arunson is said to have worked with this elusive group in or around 1070DR. Any other information is, at this point, mostly conjecture.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000