Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help me start a civil war in Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  18:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Hullack Hall. Dragon #281.

I think the place was -gard something... I have to read that article.

quote:
I'm afraid I have no information at all to share on this matter.

Hopefully there will be a Cormyr accessory which will shed some light on this issue. The Heralds are now part of folk lore in Cormyr, and apparently at least Yimluth (according to VGtC) is still active (and possibly a demigod/rank 0 deity). Certainly some of the other Heralds are still around, lurking in the background, and since the goals of these two organisation seem very similar, I assume there have been conflicts between them?

[quote]According to Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves, the Sword Heralds started operating circa 620DR. In Cloak and Dagger, Khelben Arunson is said to have worked with this elusive group in or around 1070DR. Any other information is, at this point, mostly conjecture.

Thank you, Garen! This information is appreciated, and you really know your accessories to retrieve that information so quickly

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  19:16:04  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion
I think the place was -gard something... I have to read that article.
You may be thinking of Irongard (a small building in the Stonelands). Dungeon #18. You may be thinking of Greatgard, seat of the Greatgaunt noble family, but that's been part of Cormyr since the family's founding. Eastern Cormyr was largely unsettled before the fall of the Witch-Lords, and there weren't any castles to speak of.

And yes, I do know my Cormyr sources quite well. I've referenced and cross-referenced them all a hundred times.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  21:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You may be thinking of Irongard (a small building in the Stonelands). Dungeon #18. You may be thinking of Greatgard, seat of the Greatgaunt noble family, but that's been part of Cormyr since the family's founding. Eastern Cormyr was largely unsettled before the fall of the Witch-Lords, and there weren't any castles to speak of.

No, not Irongard (I have that Dungeon issue). And not Greatgaunt, either. I think it was something like Jhynstalgard (?) or something like that - or maybe I've been dreaming? It may have been in Juniril, or nearby it.

It'd be nice to have more information about when the smaller settlements (villages/hamlets) in Cormyr were founded. I guess in eastern Cormyr this happened after 900DR when the Witch Lords were defeated.

quote:
And yes, I do know my Cormyr sources quite well. I've referenced and cross-referenced them all a hundred times.

Still, it is impressive . I have poured through both 'Cormanthyr' and 'Cloak & Dagger', and yet cannot remember those references you mentioned. Which is probably due to my lack of proper attention to detail

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  21:22:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Only a hundred?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  21:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garen, I noticed these on the FR timeline:

640 DR (Year of the Fanged Beast): "The Sword Heralds of Cormyr create an extra-dimensional labyrinth for the amusement of the jaded young nobles of House Auantiver and stock it with all manner of monstrous creatures."

658 DR (Year of the Dangerous Game): "During this time, it becomes fashionable among the adventuresome scions of Cormyr's noble houses to run the gauntlet of beasts dwelling in the Sword Herald- created Auantiver Labyrinth."

662 DR (Year of the People's Mourning): "The heirs of the Cormyrean houses of Bleth, Crownsilver, and Truesilver die in the monster-filled interdimensional Auantiver Labyrinth."

1247 DR (Year of the Purple Basilisk): " The Company of Jade, an all-male band of adventuresome lordlings, stumble into the long- forgotten Auantiver Labyrinth while exploring the ruins of Battlegate Keep near the border of Cormyr and Sembia. They encounter a monstrous purple basilisk that kills all but a handful of the Company."

1276 DR (Year of the Crumbling Keep): "The Men of the Basilisk decide to open their ranks to any promising young noble or merchant lord who can survive the crucible of the extra-dimensional Auantiver Labyrinth and its fearsome basilisk guardian."

The Auantiver noble family (now extinct) had their seat in Battlerise, in eastern Cormyr, where their ruined castle 'Battlegate' still stands (as mentioned in VGtC).
Do you have any information about them? Did they relocate after 900DR to Battlerise? All the excerpts above seem to indicate that this "extra-dimensional labyrinth" was reached at Battlegate, which means that the Witch Lords could not have controlled eastern Cormyr at that time (600-700 DR)? Any idea when the Witch Lords rose to power?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  15:44:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those timeline references, which source were they taken from? A novel? Gaming Product?
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  04:36:32  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Auantiver noble family (now extinct) had their seat in Battlerise, in eastern Cormyr, where their ruined castle 'Battlegate' still stands (as mentioned in VGtC).
They did indeed. I'll note for the record, however, that to my knowledge, the above-mentioned dates for their labyrinth (particularly the earliest ones) are largely conjecture, as they don't appear in any official sources.
quote:
Any idea when the Witch Lords rose to power?
Yes.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  12:30:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'll note for the record, however, that to my knowledge, the above-mentioned dates for their labyrinth (particularly the earliest ones) are largely conjecture, as they don't appear in any official sources.

Thanks Garen Thal.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  13:40:06  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

For those timeline references, which source were they taken from? A novel? Gaming Product?

I found a 'complete' timeline on a couple of webpages, and both seemed to contain those same references. Thus I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that this was either from an accessory that I donīt have, or perhaps posted by one of the Sages on some thread.

This one of the websites: http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_time_11.html

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  13:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
They did indeed. I'll note for the record, however, that to my knowledge, the above-mentioned dates for their labyrinth (particularly the earliest ones) are largely conjecture, as they don't appear in any official sources.
quote:
Any idea when the Witch Lords rose to power?
Yes.

Ah, please tell us, Garen

During king Duarīs reign, eastern Cormyr was still largely unsettled, and yet unconquered by Cormyr. Either Cormyr hadnīt yet clashed with the Witch Lords, whose center of power was located around Wyvernwater (if I only remember it correctly), or the Witch Lords were an insignificant/hidden power at that time. So, I would guess that during 700-800 DR?

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  16:26:20  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really not allowed, for moral, ethical, personal and legal reasons. Or, as Ed would say, "NDA."

And before anyone starts speculating, no, this isn't a specific NDA. This is a general "I've talked with Ed about this and won't discuss it because I hope he gets to show it all to you later on, rather than giving you a neat little timeline in a few sentences now."
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  16:54:32  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm really not allowed, for moral, ethical, personal and legal reasons. Or, as Ed would say, "NDA."

And before anyone starts speculating, no, this isn't a specific NDA. This is a general "I've talked with Ed about this and won't discuss it because I hope he gets to show it all to you later on, rather than giving you a neat little timeline in a few sentences now."

Ah, understood. Hopefully we will see this information in a *cough* Cormyr reg*cough* *cough*

Or a novel, for that matter. Okay, I will stop speculating now

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  17:20:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I found a 'complete' timeline on a couple of webpages, and both seemed to contain those same references. Thus I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that this was either from an accessory that I donīt have, or perhaps posted by one of the Sages on some thread.

The best timeline that I know of for the Realms is now hosted on this very site.

A Grand History of the Realms

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  21:31:43  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

The best timeline that I know of for the Realms is now hosted on this very site.

A Grand History of the Realms

Ah, thanks Wooly! I shall download it right away

Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  00:20:52  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just off the top, there is at LEAST one acknowledged male scion of the Obaskyr line presented in the Cormyr novel. (Brace Scatterhawk)
Another option would be for an unscrupulous Arcanist to lay hands on a enough physical substance (Hair, skin, flesh, etc) of one of the heirs to create a clone, much as Vangerdahast kept samples for just such an event. Then there was the ploy of Brantarra to take over the realm. (But that takes a whole novel to cover, and rather masterfully at that.)
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  16:37:07  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Forge

Just off the top, there is at LEAST one acknowledged male scion of the Obaskyr line presented in the Cormyr novel. (Brace Scatterhawk)
Another option would be for an unscrupulous Arcanist to lay hands on a enough physical substance (Hair, skin, flesh, etc) of one of the heirs to create a clone, much as Vangerdahast kept samples for just such an event. Then there was the ploy of Brantarra to take over the realm. (But that takes a whole novel to cover, and rather masterfully at that.)

Well met! Indeed Brace is one of apparently many such descendants of Azoun IV, though I think he is not an officially acknowledged heir. Alusair (knowing his fatherīs reputation) confronted him about this, and Brace admitted that many in his own family seemed to think him as "Azoun's son".

It certainly would be possible to create a clone, yet it would demand a certain amount of plotting to swap the original with the clone. I think it would be far more easier to try to use mind control-spells on a real one, though I am sure that Old Snoop has made sure that all "proven" descendants are, at least occasionally, monitored by the War Wizards.

If you are referring to those samples described in 'Cormyr: A Novel' (Damn, I said the 'N-word' ;) there are only samples of the ROYAL family, not their potential children/heirs (such as Brace).

Go to Top of Page

MojoGM
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  15:53:47  Show Profile  Visit MojoGM's Homepage Send MojoGM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf

In my campaign a number of nobles had a secret organization called the Knights of Immeresk ... named after one of the sub-kingdoms that Cormyr eventualy absorbed. Their goal had long been the reestablishment of the kingdom of Immeresk, and this became a real possibility following the sacking of Old Cormyr North, the death of Azoun IV, the placing of an untested infant upon the throne, and the destruction of Tilverton.

This sounds interesting. Please tell us more!

We Must Believe in Free Will, We Have No Choice
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  18:02:20  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Garen,

I was looking through back issues of 'Polyhedron' magazine, and found an article (by Eric Boyd) concerning Men of the Basilisk, who apparently have a major base in Battlegate. I don't remember the issue, but this article also has some useful information about Auantivers and their 'Sword Herald-made' labyrinth, and also lists those above-mentioned dates.

Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  05:55:29  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, why don't you just do this?

Cormyrian nobles are always disgruntled. Rather than raise a new king, bring back an OLD one.

Yeah, sure, an undead Cormyrian King would be a really annoying foe, but that's always amusing when the PC's think they've beaten the proxy guy, the REAL bad guy shows up. And are they prepared for undead? Heck no!
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:12:13  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

[quote]Originally posted by George Krashos

The reference to Gondegal ending up in Ravenloft ...

-- George Krashos

It was also in the first Ravenloft boxed set, where Gondegal got a full write-up (albeit a short one).

Hmmm... How about, in that case, a Gondegal imposter? A man wishing Cormyr ill could stir up all kinds of trouble using that name - and who would really recognize the real one to say that the imposter isn't him? I may have to use this myself, now that I think of it. Perhaps even an independent minor bandit leader allied with the Shades... Or the Zhentarim... Or the *goes into DM trance*...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11806 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  21:29:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At present state, I just don't see the Cormyreans caring enough to want to fight over who should be on the throne. I see them more trying to rebuild their own communities. After the hell they've been through, I see it being that people either give up on the government altogether (in which case an outside power swoops in)... or they forge a new, common goal and take the kingdom down a new path. Cormyr will never be the same as a result (or at least, not without several generations of work).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  14:13:28  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

At present state, I just don't see the Cormyreans caring enough to want to fight over who should be on the throne. I see them more trying to rebuild their own communities.

True, but that kind of conflict is rarely the result of the people's wishes, but rather the nobility's ambition.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000