Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Monsters or NPC´s?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  15:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
My question to you all are the following... What do you and your players like most? To play and fight against monsters (orcs, dragons, demons and the like) or do they favor to be put against the more humanoid NPC (human, elf, dwarf and so on)? If it is a mixture, please explain what mix works for you.

Choices:

Humans
Simple humanoids (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling,Gnome)
Humanoid monsters (Orc, Ogre, Lizard Men...)
Great monsters (Demons, Dragons...)
Smaller monsters (Zombies, crab-men...)
A mixture

(Anonymous Vote)

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  15:36:15  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A mixture. I like to create encounters, and make adventures, where the enemies ranges from humans and orcs to demons and zombies.

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  15:37:50  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My players favor to be put against villains from the normal humanoid races. They like it because there are (in my mind) more cool characters to develope from these races because you can mold the into whatever shape you want to. The NPC isnt necesarily put in a certain category from the start as with greenskins for an example which you can almost always trust to be more or less evil, uninteligent and agressive... Please let me know your adventuring preferences.

Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  15:39:32  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK... you are indeed a fast poster. Your post was in before i had typed my reply to my own poll... Good to see you again Webmanus. Always a pleasure to have you in the debate.

Go to Top of Page

Misericordia
Seeker

Italy
66 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  15:45:19  Show Profile  Visit Misericordia's Homepage Send Misericordia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NPC, absolutely. Humans and demi-humans, no matter, with a bit of humanoids. Tey're more versatile, more variable...and I prefer lo leave monsters more "exotic".
Surely the PC will fight against demons, dragons and so on, but they must be strange and rare creatures, who inspires awe also for they're not so known!

Omnia sunt communia.
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  16:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My players prefer to interact with people that they have to judge based on actions rather than species. A good recurring villain will arrange for all sorts of monsters, demons, and red herring adventures that lead to dragons and undead. An intelligent villain can create a forum for any monstrous encounter desired by a GM.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  17:12:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for a mixture. Monster-bashing is always a worthy cause, but the human/demihuman opponents can be just as satisfying -- just in a different way.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  17:54:43  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My parties have always liked eventually fighting those really epic monsters - dragons, demons, devils, yugoloths... etc.

I, however, always leave sort of a demihuman/human NPC bad guy involved in the whole mix, since a villian that will think of reality in the same way as the PCs is always much more dangerous, if you ask me. Only a NPC would think to kidnap a loved one, or set someone up for failure. Most of the epic creatures are far beyond considering mortal PCs for doing that sort of thing.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2005 :  00:02:56  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A mixture, variety is the spice of life. I do feel that nothing tests a party as well as a well rounded NPC (or group of them).

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2005 :  03:13:13  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going with the mixture as well.Though as a DM,I favored the great monsters......I liked to throw in a little mixture of all kinds of little nasty encounters leading to the ultimate fight...

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2005 :  11:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to hear your replies... they are as different from each other as i thought they would. But keep them comming. I am very interested in your playing tendencies...

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2005 :  13:38:56  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to prefer waging war or battle against greater monsters(dragons and demons) as they tend to provide a rewarding experience and a sense of achievement. Also, I tend to enjoy beating the crap out of them. Same for fighting lesser monsters.

I normally try to avoid confrontation with folk like elves and humans as fighting them tend to go against the grain for me.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2005 :  13:43:20  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go against the grain of you??? Please explain? I dont follow you...

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2005 :  14:12:58  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

Go against the grain of you??? Please explain? I dont follow you...

Very well, for I tend to favor humans, elves, dwarves and gnomes as well as shades more often, yes, sort of biased in a way. And since I very like playing such races, attacking a member of these races is something I do not really wish to do unless really forced to.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2005 :  15:13:33  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK... I can follow you. Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2005 :  01:39:00  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK... I can follow you. Thanks

No problem.

Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  01:03:21  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You see, I live with the philosophy that if they can be trained, it will be trained. the 'typical' example of any specie is boring, predictable, and somewhat of a snore. Now obviously, a Bullete with character levels is a bit of a stretch, but creatures that normally wouldn't take levels are interesting enough in that they don't have to.

I mean, who honestly wants to face your average orc? Ok, Orc's with levels in the Barbarian class can be assuming. Orcs with ranger or druid levels, now we're talking. Orcs in Monk levels: my players found them quite amusing.

"At what temperature does a Goblin boil?"
"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."
"If a Svirfneblin falls in the underdark, does anybody care?"
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  12:28:58  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree... It gives a cool twist and it surprises the characters the first time they meet a snarling orc who turns out to be more than they expected. Give them levels and personal characteristics and a cool NPC is in the making...

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  13:02:10  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My player's didn't quite enjoy their introduction to Ogre Blackguards
They survived only because they fled the fight.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  14:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He he he... That is a lesson learned for them... Dont underestimate ogres just because you have gained some levels yourself.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  15:42:18  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He he he... That is a lesson learned for them... Dont underestimate ogres just because you have gained some levels yourself.

Quite right, my players have learned to fear their foes when they seem "ordinary."

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2005 :  13:42:15  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is how it should be. Impose paranoia in the players. Makes them more aware of their surroundings. Makes for lots of good RPG...

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  12:47:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted mixture. It is difficult to say which category I use the most in adventures. Humans, demihumans and some humanoids I generally use for intrigue, but a hidden or surprising monster works well in the same adventures. Humanoids and monsters are more common in "quest-type" adventures. However many of these "monster" encounters how ever are potentially non-combat

I have never been a fan of demons as presented in the game so I generally don't base adventures around them. Mostly I like keeping players guessing to a degree and making them a bit unsure on who they're real opponents are. Often I end up winging it and changing the real opponent as the game evolves.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2006 :  12:23:06  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just played a session where they where to assassinate a high priest of Cyric. They didnt know how powerful he realy was, but as they initiated the adventure them selves, i chose not to adapt the power of the encounter to their level. Pointing out to them that the world isnt created for them, but around them, and an encounter they seek themselves can be of all levels of power. They survived, but heavily damaged. 2 headshots saved them. Otherwise they would have been dead, all of them. But the encounter served the purpose of making them uneasy when around enemies in the future as they cant know how powerful i have made them... And they are as powerful as the setting dictates... A great human villain.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2006 :  12:40:44  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I have learned is that if I want a villain that I want my players to really hate, humans or elves are usually my best bet. There seems to be something about these races that leaves my players bearing a grudge. Monsters, humanoids and for some reason dwarfs are often well liked even if they are adversaries.

I don't think it comes from some sense of betrayal when its a human villain and I dont play them as worse than monsters so I am not really sure why this happens. I have seen it with several players who never even met each-other; if I want a villain that the players will go out of their way to kill elf or human it is.

Any one else seen the same tendency in their campaigns?
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2006 :  13:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mixture 'tis for me, and prolly for my players as well, they haven't really faught any NPCs yet, mainly because I didn't want to... The last time I pitted a group against a worthy adversary the group wined and complained afterwards because I actually played the character to the max, we'll see how the party will fare against their own duplicates when I run "Ravager of Time", because I will play their own selves to the max then also!!!!

Maybe they learn something...like reading the rules themselves!

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2006 :  16:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they probably learn something about their own characters. I just arranged a battle against a copy of the group and all of them where surprised with how hard hitting they actually is, if played correctly.

A fun little experiment, enjoyed by both DM and players.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  15:49:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit of everytying makes things more interesting.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  11:15:10  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Mixture 'tis for me, and prolly for my players as well, they haven't really faught any NPCs yet, mainly because I didn't want to... The last time I pitted a group against a worthy adversary the group wined and complained afterwards because I actually played the character to the max, we'll see how the party will fare against their own duplicates when I run "Ravager of Time", because I will play their own selves to the max then also!!!!

Maybe they learn something...like reading the rules themselves!

Nice one!

To my voting:

I voted the mix. I use them all from Orcs Orges Gnolls to Dragons Demon & Devil to the whole scale of undead to NPC's. Diversity rules!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  01:30:58  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like a mix, well. I lean more towards monsters. But I like to throw a very smart band of NPC's at my PC's every once in a while to show them just how powerful a well played class is.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  14:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Precisely. And there is more finece to a well played NPC than to a mindless brute of a monster. Anybody have some experiences with memorable NPC's they would like to share?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000