Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  18:03:47  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi all i've read mostly all the old realm novels and some of the newer ones but i'm not on top of the realm novels as I used to be, at the minute i'm reading simon R green the secret history featuring shaman bond haha which is bloody funny/exciting with a dash of intrigue thrown in

I'm looking for something humorous/amusing/funny like that i've read all of the Grubb/Moore stories and murder in cormyr

Ive already read the rosemary jones novel's and I loved them

not keen on ed greenwood humour through just not for me

Thanks all
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2011 :  02:29:14  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tremaine, reading the word "amusing/funny" just leaves me one answer: try to get City of Ravens. One of the best stand alone novels in FR and funny one too.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  02:16:30  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I'd recommend the Avatar trilogy as a starer book.

I'd pick a small area of the realms that is adequately and well described and then build the world up from there.

To me, that means something like "The Parched Sea"; "The Crystal Shard"; or "Darkwalker on Moonshae" as a starter. It need not be a trilogy to introduce a person to a setting.

Spellfire is AWESOME, I think I love it more than any other FR book...BUT it has way too many characters and doesn't do a good job of introducing everyone; if you know everyone already it's fantastic tho. Crown of fire is also very good, but Hand of Fire is a terrible novel. Sorry, but it is.

Azure Bonds is a great starter book too, the theme of it and the "mystery" of Alias and how Elminster asks her to never sing again are quite well done.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  02:51:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Or you can read any of the Realms of... anthologies. The stories in each anthology are set in different realms, so you will have a good feel of the setting. Not to mention the protagonists and villains featured in each are some of the Realms' most powerful and most renowned.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2011 :  13:28:29  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for some novel that somehow includes or gives info about the SpellPlague and all the casualties that happened. Could anyone give me some info about any if available?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2011 :  06:21:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The details of the SP were never revealed in any novels, though some touch "lightly" on it, like:

Undead, Book 2 of the Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byers. It had tremendous effects on the Zulkirs' War and of the characters diminished and/or augmented powers.

The Abolethic Sovereignty by Bruce Cordell. Rise of the aboleths with a few spellscarred beings.

The Empyrean Odyssey by Thomas Reid. Boring war of some gods.

Shadowrealm, Book 3 of the Twilight War saga by Paul S. Kemp. A glimpse into Shar and Mask's personalities after the SP.

Elminster Must Die by Ed Greenwood. The Chosen's struggles upon their goddess's absence. Just 3 of them left, btw.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  12:20:58  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, this seems to be the proper place...

First post here, and new to the Realms. I've been lurking here a couple months, and figured I'd actually register so I could thank you folks for all the recommendations in this thread (yeah, I read through pretty much all of it). Like I said, I'm new to FR as of only about 6 or 7 months ago, having only read Drizzt stuff/Cleric Quintet/Sellswords, a couple Elminster books, and a handful of the stories from the anthologies to date. I'm supposed to remind a buddy of mine (this would be the guy who got me into this world, who said once while at a bookstore looking for a particular Star Wars book, "Icewind Dale trilogy! It's good, you should read this." And I listened to him, because well, he knows stuff like that) to lend me the Harpers series, and the Finder's Stone books are en route to my mailbox, for starters. Based on what people have said in this thread, I compiled a list of stuff to obtain, and put it into some semblence of an order. There may be notes on which I will probably be (somewhat grudgingly so at first, because I am not entirely sold on the whole e-reader concept) acquiring via kindle vs leafing through sweet, delicious old-fashioned paperback. There may have been some kind of methodical system of notes, not necessarily assigning empirical-sort of weights to people's opinions or anything as OCD in my list-making as that, the OCD nature of which I probably should not be admitting so readily. Heh. Suffice to say it should keep me busy for quite sometime.

Anyway, enough about that. Well met, and much thanks.

Edited by - Yoss on 21 Jul 2011 12:22:39
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  21:12:39  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd personally recommend starting off the way I did. I started with:

R.A. Salvatore-
The Legend of Drizzt(leaving out Servant of the Shard)
--This is a good beginning point simply because Drizzt and friends do a good bit of traveling through the Silver Marches and it introduces you to a number of areas as well as giving you a good overview of the different types of creatures and their differences.

Ed Greenwood-
Elminster: The Making of a Mage
Elminster in Myth Drannor
The Temptation of Elminster
--As stated, Elminster is one of the most important characters in the Realms. It also allows you to see some of the events in the vast history of Faerun and how Elminster has effected the history of the Realms.

Elaine Cunningham-
Evermeet: Island of the Elves
--Elven bible. Enough said. Also gives fans of the drow an insight into how the dark elves were driven into the Underdark and why there is such hatred between them and the surface elves. Not to mention the book spans the period of four centuries giving a good look into how and why the elves differentiate themselves.

Though being a beginner myself, I haven't gotten around to the Avatar trilogy or some of the others that are listed here. This was just the way I found into the Realms and it's all it took. I'm hooked for life now and there's not much I can (or want to) do about it. :)

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage

Edited by - Seabus Mythforger on 14 Sep 2011 21:15:15
Go to Top of Page

Andriella
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  23:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Andriella's Homepage Send Andriella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, but definitely not new to The Realms. I've been reading for well over ten years now (on and off), and I have probably between 70 and 100 books now. (Took a couple of years off, or I probably would have had even more.) Always buy my stuff at Amazon, because it's the cheapest way to get them, since I don't have a store nearby, that sells them. For that reason I have made my own website now with my own recommendations and reviews and with links directly to Amazon.com for those interested.

http://fearun.shopfromhomemall.com/home.html

Feel free to browse. It's not really up to date yet, since I just made it, but I got a couple of reviews and recommendations for the beginner to The Realms - look under the "Reviews" tab. (It was the way I began reading anyway, and it sure did keep me buying and reading.)

http://fearun.shopfromhomemall.com/home.html - online reviews, recommendations and bookstore for The Realms...
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  14:17:33  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For myself I started (I consider myself a beginner with a 40 novels read lol) with Drizzt complete saga (I wait the 3rd exit of the Neverwinter series, next year to read the serie). The way Salvatore writes is quite impressive because it links you well for "beginners" to the characters.

After I went with Greenwood novels (Elminster, Cormyr, Shandril's (I'm there now) and will continue with Silverfall, Knight of Myth Drannor, etc.) because I want to know how the author see his Realms.

There is different type of views from each others as said earlier, and I think the better view is our instinct to discover it by ourselves. There is so much to read that you need to start with the novels that attract you much to continue far as possible, depend on each reader. My personnal goal is to read them all ... but i know i'm surely not the first to say so. If i'm able or got the time to, fine! If not, i'll do my best !

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Tarloc
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  06:51:26  Show Profile Send Tarloc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where do you find the out of print novels?

"hey, you just rolled two natural twenties!"
"is that a touchdown?"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  07:06:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Used book stores, usually. Online, there's amazon and eBay.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  07:35:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarloc

where do you find the out of print novels?

You'll often find reasonably priced second-hand copies available, at times, on nobleknight.com.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  13:14:34  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can also Look at betterworldbooks.com ... I found some there but havent buy yet. Maybe in the next months

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  14:22:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I heard AbeBooks is also a good source of out of print books. Though I haven't ordered from them...yet.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  14:49:37  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Abebooks is a "central places" for peoples who sell for themselves. I contacted a member few months ago, but i didn't bought because the books was not smoke free. I was happy for his honesty however. It could be another good alternative

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2011 :  23:51:58  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been reading the Elminster series. The last one was Elminster in Myth Drannor. The blurb for the Temptation of Elminster mentions him being retaught magic. Does this come across as a retread of his learning from The Making of a Mage? One review I read mentioned that the book looked at how his actions affected other mortal folk around him, which sounds like a great premise. That one part about relearning magic just leaves me a little unsure of the novel.

I do want to get to the point that I can get into the post-Spellplague Elminster novels. Some of the things I have read in this BED review thread sound very intriguing!

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  07:44:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

That one part about relearning magic just leaves me a little unsure of the novel.

It's nothing new, really. Same thing happened to him in The Shadow of the Avatar. I'm an Elminster fan, but the new series is not something I can recommend. My judgment may change, though---depending on what happens in the third and succeeding books...

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  13:12:57  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll wait a while before reading post-Spellplagues novels ... i wan to be more in touch with the realms before and don't throw myself anywhere before and after ;D

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  14:07:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

I'll wait a while before reading post-Spellplagues novels ... i wan to be more in touch with the realms before and don't throw myself anywhere before and after ;D

That maybe wise. Though I must note that there are a couple of 4E novels which have the feel of the old editions. The Spellplague didn't exactly ruin everything.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  21:46:15  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweeeet !!!! :D

Go to Top of Page

Wolflord08
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  09:01:48  Show Profile Send Wolflord08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'd have to say that the best place to start is at the beginning. Find a list of all the novels in order of their dates published and just dig in. Some books are amazing and witty and funny and exciting, others...not so much, but they all have the same magic. Anyone new to Forgotten Realms, welcome and enjoy. The past 27 years has been enriched by these books in unmeasurable ways!

Wolfie
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  12:50:51  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

You can also Look at betterworldbooks.com ... I found some there but havent buy yet. Maybe in the next months

I have bought 20 books from that place in the begining of the year and was disapointed. They have a chart of "book quality" and i studied each books with their chart and half does'nt respect it. Pratically all was called "good" and in reallity it was "acceptable" for not to say "poor" ... unfortunately. Fortunately, 1 book was "very good" instead of "good". The others was reliable with the description. Pratically all books come from cities's library and have their stickers, so can't remove it. I put a "report" on the site but didn't get any answer yet (2 weeks now). I'm ok to live with old books not like new, but their is a limit to sell books with not the right description of quality.

If you buy there, i recommend look for "very good" one, these were as described for my experience. The other will be good to read and preserve my collection. Everything have a good side !

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  00:01:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It really depends, I suppose. Some used books in eBay, for instance, described as in good quality with a picture of them, turned out to be quite poor.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  12:52:54  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

It really depends, I suppose. Some used books in eBay, for instance, described as in good quality with a picture of them, turned out to be quite poor.

Yes, i Know. As i said, half was poor (described good), 7-8 as described and 1 or 2 better than described.

I was talking about my experience with Betterworldbooks. I recommend to look for "very good" ones to be sure to get ones with quality. Beceause "good" ones is like flipping a Penny. And they didn't answer my complaint yet... i am a little bit disappointed

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  06:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone pick for me:

-Crown of Fire
-Swords of Eveningstar
-Waterdeep: A Novel
-and Elminster Must Die!

NONE of which I've read before.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  11:01:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Someone pick for me:

-Crown of Fire
-Swords of Eveningstar
-and Elminster Must Die!

Given those choices, and my own thoughts on Ed's fiction (which aren't in line with the thoughts of a lot of other Realms fans), I'd say Waterdeep: A Novel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Feb 2012 11:01:49
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  12:40:06  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Someone pick for me:

-Crown of Fire
-Swords of Eveningstar
-and Elminster Must Die!

Swords of Eveningstar is great, a fabulous first novel of a trilogy around Knights of Myth Drannor

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  14:58:00  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And...I liked Crown of Fire. 3 responses all different!

Swords of Eveningstar is the best of that trilogy but it was kind of a mess of a trilogy for me. Crown of Fire was a fun read and had lots of great battles (including Elminster and Storm versus Manshoon, among others).

Elminster Must Die! has it's moments but it's set in the depressing future and totally different setting (to me). Not recommended.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  15:08:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Someone pick for me:

-Crown of Fire
-Swords of Eveningstar
-and Elminster Must Die!

The only one which i have read is Crown of Fire and it was enjoyable.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000