Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  17:07:56  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go no further. Just read Last Mythal Trilogy and The Avatar Series.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  18:00:03  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just readed Legacy of the drow and I'm trying tomake my mind on about to read next, should I follow the "Underdark" topic and go for "War of the Spider Queen"? or perhaps change topic completely and go for "The cleric quintet?"

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  18:35:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

Just readed Legacy of the drow and I'm trying tomake my mind on about to read next, should I follow the "Underdark" topic and go for "War of the Spider Queen"? or perhaps change topic completely and go for "The cleric quintet?"

The War of the Spider Queen is popular with most people. I do not include myself amongst its fans.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  23:40:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The War of the Spider Queen is popular with most people. I do not include myself amongst its fans.

I enjoyed a number of contributions to the series, while others didn't attract me as much. Of particular note was Thomas M. Reid's Insurrection... probably my favourite of the storyline.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  09:42:08  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should go for WotSQ then, don't know why but I don't find the "quintet" much appealing :)

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  10:06:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, now, in all fairness ... Drizzt is actually pretty cool.

Until after about 2-3 books when his concentrated emo just makes readers cringe and burn his books.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  10:59:33  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Maybe I should go for WotSQ then, don't know why but I don't find the "quintet" much appealing :)

Here is <a complete chronological listing of all of R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms stories>. If you want to follow them in chronological order, then you can see that there is a large span of time between "Legacy of the Drow" and "WOTSQ".

When you said that you read "Legacy of the Drow", does that mean that you also read the novel Passage to Dawn? "The Cleric Quintet" introduces the characters of the Spirit Soaring cathedral, whom Drizzt meets in Passage. It's up to you whether you would like to understand those characters' backgrounds any better, or if the summaries of their personal histories that RAS gives in the later Drizzt novels is sufficient.

Drizzt runs into some of those same characters again in "The Hunter's Blades Trilogy": The Thousand Orcs, The Lone Drow, and The Two Swords.

I don't know if you plan on reading all of the Drizzt books someday, but if you do, know that he visits the Spirit Soaring yet again in The Ghost King, which is set after "WOTSQ" in the timeline.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  11:52:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by lepra

And why they wouldn't re-release Azure Bonds? It seems fairly popular, at least between candlekeep members.

Lurue only knows. They've allowed popular authors to go out of print, and reprinted series that weren't overly popular... It's another of the many business decisions made by WotC that I fail to understand.

They reprinted the Elminster and Drizzt series, which are VERY popular. As to the rest of the stuff they reprinted, well, as you said, Lurue only knows.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  04:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were to spout off a list of authors, could someone recommend a standalone novel to me?

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  05:44:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

If I were to spout off a list of authors, could someone recommend a standalone novel to me?

The Simbul's Gift by Lynn Abbey and Frostfell by Mark S.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  14:16:25  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering I haven't spouted off a list of authors yet, why those two books?

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  14:38:35  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Spout away Milady!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  01:01:51  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were to say that I like Lois McMaster Bujold, Kate Elliott And Terry Pratchett (his non Discworld novels) for the characters and world building, what standalone Realms novel would you recommend?

Please note that I have read all of Elaine's work and liked it and I'm not particularly fond of Ed's novels.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  01:49:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, could you perhaps qualify your question by explaining what it is you like about those authors, Fellshot? What impresses me most about them are their abilities to write intrigue (Bujold), conflict (Elliot), and humour (Pratchett) ... I don't really see any commonality among them, beyond the fact they're all SF&F authors who easily populate their novels with hordes of character interactions.

I'd recommend Tymora's Luck, part of a series which don't have to be read in any order (it at all). It provides enough background for those unfamiliar with the FR setting (though of course they won't understand all the subtler references). I didn't find most of the characters or their travails particularly memorable, though I recall the book was an entertaining read.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  02:01:31  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If I were to say that I like Lois McMaster Bujold, Kate Elliott And Terry Pratchett (his non Discworld novels) for the characters and world building, what standalone Realms novel would you recommend?

Please note that I have read all of Elaine's work and liked it and I'm not particularly fond of Ed's novels.

Ghostwalker by Erik Scott de Bie.

It has the first fiction character that I actually found myself hating!

Along with a fine cast of other characters.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  02:35:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mark Sehestedt's ability to evoke picturesque setting is commendable. And I like how Lynn Abbey intertwined an interesting cast of characters.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  05:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Arik, I was typing whilst pressed for time and really should have expanded a bit more.

Lois McMaster Bujold- I like how she twines her plots around and through her characters. I especially like how they get frustrated and annoyed and depressed when things don't look like they're going well. I also like how each character seems to be moving at their own rhythm and that for the most par the characters seem to be determining that personal rhythm rather than outside events.

Kate Elliott- She pulls off balancing world building with multiple very different characters amazingly well. As in I could pick almost any character in her books and be able to tell you how they changed during the course of the story. She brings political dramas from abstracts down to the people involved seamlessly. She's one of the two authors I felt did an excellent job of world building... while writing in the first person.

Terry Pratchett- His humor actually takes a backseat to how personable his characters are for me. Point in fact, my first exposure to him as something other than a co-author was not a humor story at all. Yes, he has a droll way of putting things but it's more of a "Ha, I know someone who's like that/has done that/has felt that before" than "Haha, what wit!"

Hope that helps a bit more.

Oh RW, I actually read Ghostwalker years ago... and I can't remember what I thought about it. Perhaps a reread might be in order.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  18:36:18  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and I'm not particularly fond of Ed's novels.

1.Actually i read the Cormyr a novel and now i'm reading the Elminster the making of a mage...I also do not like so much the writng of Ed...Actually which are the best novels that Ed has written??? ...

2.I love the writing of Robert Howard creator of conan...CAn anyone tell me authors of Forgotten realms that write with such a mystery and talent like Howard???

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  21:07:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

2.I love the writing of Robert Howard creator of conan...CAn anyone tell me authors of Forgotten realms that write with such a mystery and talent like Howard???

Steven Schend, Mark Sehestedt, and James P. Davis.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  22:32:26  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank u Dennis

HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  22:47:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PSK and RLB have their moments as well. Especially if ye like Shadovar.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  23:16:06  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks Arik

HE DECAPITATES!!!

Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  22:20:37  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Scribes

Having just finished the 'Threat From The Sea' trilogy, I wish, if you've a mind to assist me, (again!) to pick your brains for 'what next' novel recommendations...

For the most part I'm looking for Pre-Spellplague recommendations (Although if there's a novel you think I should read simply because it's a 'great yarn' then I'll be happy to take recs - I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on 'Dawnbringer' for instance). I've no particular preferences author-wise. As to subject matter, well, right atm I'm especially interested in reading novels set in and around Mulhorand (if there are any?) and novels featuring paladins; fallen ones are good. Zhents, Harpers and The Eldreth Veluuthra, but anything you think would give a true Realms flavour is just great.

Thank you kindly!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  22:34:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green

Dear Scribes

Having just finished the 'Threat From The Sea' trilogy, I wish, if you've a mind to assist me, (again!) to pick your brains for 'what next' novel recommendations...

For the most part I'm looking for Pre-Spellplague recommendations (Although if there's a novel you think I should read simply because it's a 'great yarn' then I'll be happy to take recs - I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on 'Dawnbringer' for instance). I've no particular preferences author-wise. As to subject matter, well, right atm I'm especially interested in reading novels set in and around Mulhorand (if there are any?) and novels featuring paladins; fallen ones are good. Zhents, Harpers and The Eldreth Veluuthra, but anything you think would give a true Realms flavour is just great.

Thank you kindly!

The best Realms flavor comes from authors Elaine Cunningham and the duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb. They're all earlier Realms novels, and most are long out of print, but they are well worth the effort to track down.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  00:35:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Zhents and the Harpers have strong presence in The Harpers series, all novels in which are stand-alone.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  00:49:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

The Zhents and the Harpers have strong presence in The Harpers series, all novels in which are stand-alone.

Sort of. They all are stand-alone tales, but some of them are sequels to earlier tales.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  01:01:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, like Shandril's Saga.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  01:03:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green

Dear Scribes

Thank you kindly!

The best Realms flavor comes from authors Elaine Cunningham and the duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb. They're all earlier Realms novels, and most are long out of print, but they are well worth the effort to track down.

I'll add Ed's earlier Realms novels to Wooly's fine recommendations, as well. They offer the best scope of the "life and flavour" of the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  01:32:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I second that.

Lily, I heard the protagonist [Kalen] in Erik's Downshadow is a paladin.

Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  18:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks chaps! From your recs I'm starting with 'Elfsong', which has already made me giggle!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000