Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  16:08:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Someone pick for me:

-Crown of Fire
-Swords of Eveningstar
-Waterdeep: A Novel
-and Elminster Must Die!

NONE of which I've read before.

I'd go with Swords of Eveningstar. It's typical Ed, and it's a nice slice of Realms history.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  23:59:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Someone pick for me:

-Crown of Fire
-Swords of Eveningstar
-Waterdeep: A Novel
-and Elminster Must Die!

NONE of which I've read before.

Crown of Fire. The usual annoying Manshoon. The panacea that is Mystra's fire. A bit good, but can be easily forgotten.

Waterdeep: A Novel. Needlessly long. Unremarkable characters. Elaine and Ed had written far better novels than this.

Elminster Must Die!. Two words: huge disappointment!

Hope that helps.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  00:47:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arivia,
-Crown of Fire: sequel to Spellfire, and another of Ed's "severely edited down" early books, but has some engaging characters and places, and some dashing action scenes.
-Swords of Eveningstar: the start of a trilogy of young folks in Cormyr who hunger for adventure. Be careful what you wish for. This is the band that became the Knights of Myth Drannor, and the book is small in scale until the very end, has romance, and shows us a young Alusair. Can function as a standalone if you don't want to read the rest of the trilogy.
-Waterdeep: A Novel: Written as a standalone, and shortened by almost half, so the result is bumpy in places. Large cast, sprawling tale, nice touches by both Ed and Elaine.
-and Elminster Must Die!: A grim situation in 1479 DR for El and Storm. Not a "nice" book, and starts to race/telescope at the end, but a good book.

As a longtime book editor, they're all flawed, but I enjoyed them all. For the Realmslore, they're "must haves." As entertaining reads, they all score better than average for fantasy novels, these days. I'd say Swords and El Must Die! are the best written. I've re-read them all, several times, even amid the flood of manuscripts I have to read for "work"...
Hope I've been of some help.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  01:08:06  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Arivia,
maybe Swords of Eveningstar is a good option. Waterdeep a Novel was probably the biggest deception in FR novels for me so far. Subjective issue of course, but just my 5 cents.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  02:21:52  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Arivia,
-Crown of Fire: sequel to Spellfire, and another of Ed's "severely edited down" early books, but has some engaging characters and places, and some dashing action scenes.
-Swords of Eveningstar: the start of a trilogy of young folks in Cormyr who hunger for adventure. Be careful what you wish for. This is the band that became the Knights of Myth Drannor, and the book is small in scale until the very end, has romance, and shows us a young Alusair. Can function as a standalone if you don't want to read the rest of the trilogy.
-Waterdeep: A Novel: Written as a standalone, and shortened by almost half, so the result is bumpy in places. Large cast, sprawling tale, nice touches by both Ed and Elaine.
-and Elminster Must Die!: A grim situation in 1479 DR for El and Storm. Not a "nice" book, and starts to race/telescope at the end, but a good book.

As a longtime book editor, they're all flawed, but I enjoyed them all. For the Realmslore, they're "must haves." As entertaining reads, they all score better than average for fantasy novels, these days. I'd say Swords and El Must Die! are the best written. I've re-read them all, several times, even amid the flood of manuscripts I have to read for "work"...
Hope I've been of some help.
love,
THO

Thank you for the experienced "quick review" of these books. It's a pleasure to read the Realmslore every night before sleep. Presently on "Swords of Dragonfire". After Ed's novels (2-3 left) i'll go with Elaine or Troy novels.

I'm at 44 FR novels read of 223 books bought so far.

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  02:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'm going to start off with Elminster Must Die! I have all the parts of the Spellfire and Knights trilogies, but hearing El himself is calling me right now. Thank you for the help everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  12:43:25  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant decide which realms novel to purchase next. Can anyone recommend some older books by authors like Elaine Cunningham or something? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  04:27:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Counselors and Kings trilogy by Elaine.

The first three novels of the Elminster saga by Ed.

The Simbul's Gift by Lynn Abbey.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  15:17:34  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I cant decide which realms novel to purchase next. Can anyone recommend some older books by authors like Elaine Cunningham or something? Thanks.

If you haven't yet read The Finder's Stone trilogy, I very very very much recommend it. I think it is the best written of the Realms trilogies. Great characters, nice mysteries, and cameos by lots of famous Realms inhabitants and locales (Suzail, Shadowdale, Immersea, the Lost Dale, Tilverton, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  15:31:02  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

quote:

If you haven't yet read The Finder's Stone trilogy, I very very very much recommend it. I think it is the best written of the Realms trilogies. Great characters, nice mysteries, and cameos by lots of famous Realms inhabitants and locales (Suzail, Shadowdale, Immersea, the Lost Dale, Tilverton, etc.)

Definitely a great trilogy! It's been almost 20 years since i've read it. Maybe i should do a re-read

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  16:56:13  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

quote:

Definitely a great trilogy! It's been almost 20 years since i've read it. Maybe i should do a re-read

Ha cool, i have it but not read yet. Will go on it after The Sword Never sleeps.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  16:58:11  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

It really depends, I suppose. Some used books in eBay, for instance, described as in good quality with a picture of them, turned out to be quite poor.

Yes, i Know. As i said, half was poor (described good), 7-8 as described and 1 or 2 better than described.

I was talking about my experience with Betterworldbooks. I recommend to look for "very good" ones to be sure to get ones with quality. Beceause "good" ones is like flipping a Penny. And they didn't answer my complaint yet... i am a little bit disappointed

I finally get my answer from betterworldbooks and they add me a credit of 20% for the books that the descriptions and conditions doesnt match.

Happy ending :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  17:16:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, personally, cannot recommend the Finder's Stone trilogy highly enough. To me, those books are some of the best Realms novels we've had, and they do a much better job of showing us the Realms than just about anything since then. Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak got the Realms in a way few authors can match.

Elaine is the only FR author I elevate to a comparable level.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  23:06:55  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I, personally, cannot recommend the Finder's Stone trilogy highly enough. To me, those books are some of the best Realms novels we've had, and they do a much better job of showing us the Realms than just about anything since then. Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak got the Realms in a way few authors can match.

WoW with that sentence i want to read them right now LOL

Edited by - HardKano on 10 Feb 2012 23:07:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  00:13:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm inclined to agree. And I'll add Ed's works to this as well. I often get a sense of just how vast and comprehensive his grand creation of the Realms has been, each and every time I read his books.
quote:

Easily agreed.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  11:56:23  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Counselors and Kings trilogy by Elaine.

The first three novels of the Elminster saga by Ed.

The Simbul's Gift by Lynn Abbey.

Thanks a lot!I'll try out Counselors and Kings!I've already read the Elminster novels.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  11:57:19  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thank you!Wouldnt have thought of this without help!
Go to Top of Page

Shardnax
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  14:48:41  Show Profile Send Shardnax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Pools trilogy.

Scratch that. I didn't notice you wanted books specific to author. I feel a little silly now.

Edited by - Shardnax on 17 Feb 2012 14:51:07
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  11:10:10  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shardnax

quote:

The Pools trilogy.

Scratch that. I didn't notice you wanted books specific to author. I feel a little silly now.

No, Thats a fine suggestion actually. I was just looking for older books in general. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  15:46:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

The Pools trilogy.

No, Thats a fine suggestion actually. I was just looking for older books in general. Thanks.

I, personally, am not a fan of the Pools books -- to the point that having read the first two, I don't want to read the third.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  20:08:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Pools trilogy.

I, personally, am not a fan of the Pools books -- to the point that having read the first two, I don't want to read the third.

Neither am I. At least you read the second. I only read the first. [I'm no masochist.]

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  02:06:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Pools trilogy.

I enjoyed the Pools books simply for the nostalgia factor involved.

I first read them while at school, so I still feel like there was really something special about the times that I'd go to the library, sit down, and read about the Realms. The school's library didn't have a big FR section, so the selection was limited. But I still look back on those days with fondness.

I'd be curious to see what my reaction to the novels would be now, if I were to re-read them.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  02:44:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In a way, I can relate. Not the same book, but similar in the 'nostalgia' factor. I read Gary Paulsen's The River a long time ago and loved it then. I reread it fairly recently and remembered much of how it made me feel the very first time I read it.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  15:12:13  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah nostalgia. Always seems to add such a rosy hue to everything.
Thats why its generally better to avoid the books and movies of your childhood as they seldom live up to the memory you have of them.
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2012 :  08:05:08  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the newbie is a fan of elves I recommend the realm of the elves anthology or the last mythal series. If newbie is a drow fan....homeland,exile,and sojourn .the realms has something for everyone.

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2012 :  00:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit: Hit reply to the wrong thread.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest

Edited by - Tyrant on 07 Apr 2012 01:12:34
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2012 :  04:14:20  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jerrod

If the newbie is a fan of elves I recommend the realm of the elves anthology or the last mythal series. If newbie is a drow fan....homeland,exile,and sojourn .the realms has something for everyone.

Sure the Realms have something for every ones with all that huge collection to read ! :) it's around 260 books according to o-love.net registry

Go to Top of Page

archmagestar
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  05:41:29  Show Profile Send archmagestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Pools trilogy.

Neither am I. At least you read the second. I only read the first. [I'm no masochist.]

Dont waste your time with the third, beyond disapointing.

Forgotten Realms Junkie
Go to Top of Page

Ada
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  15:54:59  Show Profile Send Ada a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am wondering if I would be better off reading series of book or reading the books in chronological order of events. Can I get some outlook on this because I am contemplating between the two and would like some outside feedback on the situation?

Thanks

Gul Ada Ruin - The Wizard Elf
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  16:08:24  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ada

I am wondering if I would be better off reading series of book or reading the books in chronological order of events. Can I get some outlook on this because I am contemplating between the two and would like some outside feedback on the situation?

Thanks

Both ways are good. I vote for the main authors or histories you prefer to start with and build around the connections. That way to get hints from previous novels read and it help to get the sparkles... it is a considerable series to read ;)

You always need to keep the wave high, because it is easy to get away and let them sleep in the bookshelf

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000