Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Power of Faerűn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  18:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaysae
Also, I hope the reprecussions of Final Gate are addressed fairly soonish (either more novels or a game update), because that really can't just be left to sit there (like the Return of the Archwizards has).

RotAW is addressed in at least some way in the campaign arc beginning on page 58.
Go to Top of Page

johnsric
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  18:50:07  Show Profile  Visit johnsric's Homepage Send johnsric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Dargoth

One of the guys over at Enworld said there where some rather bad editing problems in PoF

"Within 10 minutes of reading the book I found major problems with one of the prestige classes, the Herald.

1. It doesn't have a BAB or save progression.

2. It doesn't list the hit die granted.

3. It has a table labeled 'Court Herald Spells Known', but doesn't detail spells per day.

4. It only has 11 levels of progression in the 'Spells Known' table. It has a power listed at level 12. That power, 'you gain spell resistance equal to your character level', is effectively useless. You can't get this power until you're at least character level 19. What good is SR19 to a 19th level character?

In short, the prestige class, as published, is completely unplayable."

Later on Mike Mearls (THE WOTC editor for PoF)posted the following

"The buck for any errors made in this book stops with me. I'm out of the office right now (working at home with a bad cold), but when I get back in I'll see about the process we have for errata.

Looks like they forgot Table 6-1. I saw 6-2 when I looked quickly this morning, but nothing before it.

Edited by - johnsric on 16 Mar 2006 18:50:51
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  20:39:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I only have one question for Eric (if he's still checking the thread) or a scribe that can point it out for me.

It's minor really, but, why did the Sythillisian Empire become the Sothillisian Empire? It's been that way since 2E, it just struck me as incredibly odd.

I don't know, but I can speculate. My turnover had Sythillisian empire.

My guess is that the editor really didn't like the name Sythillis because it sounds too much like a disease. (The gigle factor is real ... it's hard to maintain versimilitude if your players keep snickering when they contemplate the villain.) If you retcon the name of the ogre magi, then you need to retcon the name of the empire. However, I'm just speculating and don't know for sure.

In any event, note that the formal name of the new ogre-ruled state is likely to become Murannheim, as noted in Sythillis' title.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  21:35:41  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Virgin Ears, this post has a large amount of space, it contains topics that some people might consider slightly offensive.

Sythillissan Empire sounds fine when you spell it. But when anyone from the American Northeast, North of the Mason/Dixon Line and East of Indiana says the word, it sounds like "Syphillissan Empire." My players used to joke about this all the time. I believe the spelling may have been changed in order to avoid excessive out of game references to veneral disease.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  22:57:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an amazing game we have. We can slaughter unnumbered creatures but can't have a name that sounds like a venereal disease ...

I guess that means King Forkin of Old Impiltur is off the list now.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  23:00:01  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you begin to forgive the editors from the last published book, they always do worst in the new one
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  23:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks

How does the Bane of Infidels feat work?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kaysae
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  23:35:01  Show Profile  Visit Kaysae's Homepage Send Kaysae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

What an amazing game we have. We can slaughter unnumbered creatures but can't have a name that sounds like a venereal disease ...

Heh. I didn't even think about the disease before Eric (and Msatran) pointed out. If anything, I thought of Sith.

Now, I think of Lord Soth. Oh well!

Anyway. I really enjoy the tome, well above and beyond the minor nitpick, Mr. Boyd. It is by far my favorite Realms accessory.

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Favored Enemy class feature as determined by the Deific Grudge Matches table (page 50) in the Player's Guide to Faerűn.

Edited by - Kaysae on 16 Mar 2006 23:40:22
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  00:53:57  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Favored Enemy class feature as determined by the Deific Grudge Matches table (page 50) in the Player's Guide to Faerűn.

Do you get all your Deities enemies as Favoured Enemy or do you have to pick one?

Does Bane of Infidels give a higher bonus every 5 levels like the Rangers favoured enemy does?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  02:52:07  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of the guys over at Enworld said there where some rather bad editing problems in PoF

"Within 10 minutes of reading the book I found major problems with one of the prestige classes, the Herald.

1. It doesn't have a BAB or save progression.

2. It doesn't list the hit die granted.

3. It has a table labeled 'Court Herald Spells Known', but doesn't detail spells per day.

For all of the above it would follow the loremaster class in the DM's guide, as the description says.

quote:
4. It only has 11 levels of progression in the 'Spells Known' table. It has a power listed at level 12. That power, 'you gain spell resistance equal to your character level', is effectively useless. You can't get this power until you're at least character level 19. What good is SR19 to a 19th level character?

I was frankly surprised to see level 11 listed, since I would have assumed that any levels beyond 10 would be epic, as they are for loremaster. Meaning that one would have no spell progression and would have to be character level 22 in order to pick up the level 12 special power.

Johnsric is correct, there is no table 6-1. I doubt it was forgotten. Most likely table 6-1 was cut from the final version and the remainder of the tables were not relabeled.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  02:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta
I was frankly surprised to see level 11 listed, since I would have assumed that any levels beyond 10 would be epic, as they are for loremaster. Meaning that one would have no spell progression and would have to be character level 22 in order to pick up the level 12 special power.

Johnsric is correct, there is no table 6-1. I doubt it was forgotten. Most likely table 6-1 was cut from the final version and the remainder of the tables were not relabeled.

Not exactly; the class has pre-10th level requirements, and as such, 12 levels before epic levels are reached is possible(see: LM's true necromancer, RoE's moonspeaker).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  03:49:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed saith:

Hmmm. It certainly had a "spells per day" table in turnover. However, if Mike has an approved/fixed one to provide, it will definitely trump my "Okay, how does Word do tables, again?" original. :}

I HAVE heard Ed gripe something like this: "160 pages? Okay, that'll cover the Chapter 1 topic. Have to check with WotC and see if they can ship plastic magnifying sheets with the book, and put the type down to 4 point." He hasn't complained a peep about editing or development, just about the lack of about 900 more pages to work with.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  03:52:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I HAVE heard Ed gripe something like this: "160 pages? Okay, that'll cover the Chapter 1 topic. Have to check with WotC and see if they can ship plastic magnifying sheets with the book, and put the type down to 4 point." He hasn't complained a peep about editing or development, just about the lack of about 900 more pages to work with.
love to all,
THO
I certainly wouldn't complain...

If it's the only way to get more lore from the designers involved in the writing of an FR sourcebook within the page-number restrictions set by WotC... I'll gladly read with magnifying sheets .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Mar 2006 03:54:05
Go to Top of Page

Kaysae
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  03:58:07  Show Profile  Visit Kaysae's Homepage Send Kaysae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do you get all your Deities enemies as Favoured Enemy or do you have to pick one?

Does Bane of Infidels give a higher bonus every 5 levels like the Rangers favoured enemy does?

One enemy. And no, you gain the Favored Enemy feature once (a ranger acquires it multiple times).

Eric:

Are the Twin Towers of the Eternal Eclipse gone completely now?

Western Tower: Abducted by the Sojourner.
Eastern Tower: /Spoiler (just to be safe?) "Shattered" by Sharpfangs. I take this to mean obliterated, since the eastern tower isn't mentioned in the Sothillisian timeline. Too bad, I really liked that location. /Spoiler
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  04:05:38  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are the Twin Towers of the Eternal Eclipse gone completely now?

This is the biggest continuity problem that I know of in the book due to concurrent development of this product and Paul's novel. Fortunately George and Paul helped work out an explanation that I managed to work into an upcoming product.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  15:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
stuff from this book has already been optimized on the wotc char opt. pages (two days ago)
thats crazy!!!!

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  15:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, the book is absolutely great, I have a question for you:

This Shadow outbreak in AThkalta, Am I right in thinking that if this happens (especially in 1371 or so when he Ogres still control of Esmereltan, Imnescar and Murann) one can pretty much say goodbye to Amn as a unified state. With the Ogre Magi in the south and the defection of Riativin whats left really?

Especially considering that Athkalta is the real seat of power for the shadow thieves.

Anyways, my question is, what sort of power groups might step in to fill the power vacumm, Is there any chance the Selunites could unify the country and make it some kind of Theocracy. It seems to me that a powerfull general flush off of victories in Esmereltan or some such might be able to execute a 'coup de etat'.

I guess at epic levels one would tie this whole plot line in with the Twisted Rune's manipulation. Maybe as the ultimate game players they place bets over the possesion of some artifact level magics amongst themselves over who's faction can emerge victorious.

Also seems to me that Shoon VII, who is now hiding out in Athkalta would view this as a wonderfull opportunity to try and sieze sole control of the country. I can't remember but isn't his elfin female body a member of the council of six. A few well placed assasinations by him and a deal with the Synthisillians to split the country with him undermining the existent military while talking tough against the giants and he might just make it work.

Or him emerging as a 'hero' after repelling the shadows (whose release he secretely engineered), like Zaranda Star and riding his wave to kingship.

Probably Shoon VII has figured out that there is some major behind the scenes power in the South, aka the Rune, but that he doesn't know yet who they are or what their goals are.

I actually like this plot alot because now a split up Amn with armies and powerfull mages and humanoids vying for control of the country makes Amn a danger to all of the surrounding area, especially when the mercenaries start pouring in, powered by all that Maztican coin.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  15:31:10  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am still waiting for my copy to be filled at Amazon; but I have flipped through the book at B & N. I read the spoiler on page 28 (I didn’t consider it a spoiler just confirmation). My question deals with the Banites in the Old Empires. Are the worshippers of Tiamat taking this laying down?

*rubs hands while watching for the postman*

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  15:36:55  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, the Shoon body is an apprentice of one of the Cowled wizards and not a member of the Council, but it still makes sense.

Imagine now that the PCs run to Athkalta to help the Elven Wizardess Zallonara unify the country only to find out latter they are helping one of the greatest Tyrant's in the History of the South.

Also Shoon VII might need a puppet to put on the throne or a new body since Elves are not exceptionally popular in Amn.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  16:27:50  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Eric, the book is absolutely great,

Glad you liked it.

quote:
I have a question for you:

This Shadow outbreak in AThkalta, Am I right in thinking that if this happens (especially in 1371 or so when he Ogres still control of Esmereltan, Imnescar and Murann) one can pretty much say goodbye to Amn as a unified state. With the Ogre Magi in the south and the defection of Riativin whats left really?

I agree there's not much left other than a rump in the middle IF that happens. (Note I do think that falls under the "possible scenarios" section, not the "this happens in canon" sections like the Stinger War.)

Especially considering that Athkalta is the real seat of power for the shadow thieves.

quote:
Anyways, my question is, what sort of power groups might step in to fill the power vacumm, Is there any chance the Selunites could unify the country and make it some kind of Theocracy. It seems to me that a powerfull general flush off of victories in Esmereltan or some such might be able to execute a 'coup de etat'.

Perhaps. There will be more fodder for this debate after Dragons of Faerun is released, but I would look to Sharpfangs to play a major role as well.

quote:
I guess at epic levels one would tie this whole plot line in with the Twisted Rune's manipulation. Maybe as the ultimate game players they place bets over the possesion of some artifact level magics amongst themselves over who's faction can emerge victorious.

Also seems to me that Shoon VII, who is now hiding out in Athkalta would view this as a wonderfull opportunity to try and sieze sole control of the country. I can't remember but isn't his elfin female body a member of the council of six. A few well placed assasinations by him and a deal with the Synthisillians to split the country with him undermining the existent military while talking tough against the giants and he might just make it work.

Or him emerging as a 'hero' after repelling the shadows (whose release he secretely engineered), like Zaranda Star and riding his wave to kingship.

Probably Shoon VII has figured out that there is some major behind the scenes power in the South, aka the Rune, but that he doesn't know yet who they are or what their goals are.

I actually like this plot alot because now a split up Amn with armies and powerfull mages and humanoids vying for control of the country makes Amn a danger to all of the surrounding area, especially when the mercenaries start pouring in, powered by all that Maztican coin.

Glad we got the wheels spinning.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  16:32:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

I am still waiting for my copy to be filled at Amazon; but I have flipped through the book at B & N. I read the spoiler on page 28 (I didn’t consider it a spoiler just confirmation). My question deals with the Banites in the Old Empires. Are the worshippers of Tiamat taking this laying down?

This is addressed in an upcoming product.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  17:30:35  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric thanks for the reply, I think that revisiting this in Dragons of Faerun will be great.

Ok now I have to go pester Steven Schend about the history of Amn under the Monarchy...

Edited by - Octa on 17 Mar 2006 17:36:18
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  22:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next years theme is the Realms of War, I suspect we'lll be seeing alot more of Amn

If Amn collpses I imagine the Flaming fist will come down from Baldurs Gate and Blockade the pass through the cloud peaks and Tethyr may come north and grab a few more of Amns southern towns and cities.

Or Tethyr could try and grab all of civiilized Amn. "From Exile to Humble Scribe to Emperor of the South: The Life and Time of Lhaeo"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2006 :  04:44:26  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on, guys. They're not going to just wave their hands and wipe Amn.
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2006 :  11:33:02  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa
Also seems to me that Shoon VII, who is now hiding out in Athkalta would view this as a wonderfull opportunity to try and sieze sole control of the country. I can't remember but isn't his elfin female body a member of the council of six.

Nope, you're confusing Zallanora with Tyrda Q'Helvor. It's understandable though, given that both are female half-elves who belong to the Cowled Wizards :).

quote:

According to LoI, Shoon is already more than aware of the goals of the Twisted Rune, not to mention those of the Shadow Thieves.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2006 :  13:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Banites play a role in the Old empires battle. The Banites of the Lake of Steam didn't make the cut as said earlier by Eric.

Oh oh! Is there stuff on the Banites of Mourktar in PoF?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2006 :  16:59:07  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

This is addressed in an upcoming product.

--Eric

Thanks for the fast reply. I can't wait for the rest of this year to unfold. My poor checking account...

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2006 :  19:11:02  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I was quite surprised when I found this time yesterday in my FLGS. Needless to say, I promptly picked it up. I only had around an hour or so to peruse the tome yesterday but will be taking a deeper look over the next few days.

From what i've seen thus far, i'm very impressed! A great tome which is packed with fluff! There's very little crunch within and many things to make me extremely happy. The maps were a very welcome surprise too and i'm sure i'll be spending a considerable amount of time working through this tome!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2006 :  19:22:45  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

The maps were a very welcome surprise too...

Sounds good. Perhaps wotc is making up for the lack of maps in Serpent Kingdoms? My copy should ship in a few days...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  03:08:06  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Banites play a role in the Old empires battle. The Banites of the Lake of Steam didn't make the cut as said earlier by Eric.

Oh oh! Is there stuff on the Banites of Mourktar in PoF?

*bump*

Inquirying Minds want to know!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly