Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Power of Faerūn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  03:51:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe so.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  03:53:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I don't believe so.

-- George Krashos

Scribes keep mentioning that Banites are helping "Free Unther" fight Mulhrond

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  06:25:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, if it hasn't been changed in editing it's a sidebar titled "Warfare in Faerūn" in the Rule the Battlefield chapter. It talks about the Untheric Crusade and notes that in early 1374 DR, the Banites of Mourktar march to the assistance of beseiged Untherites at Messemprar, changing the balance in this conflict. That's pretty much it as I can see. For now ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  06:32:38  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They get a mention on that same infamous page 28 IIRC.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  15:38:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
A great tome which is packed with fluff!
Oh, Alaundo...
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  20:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
A great tome which is packed with fluff!
Oh, Alaundo...

Aye, Faraer? how can I help thee?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  00:59:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase
Vocabulary sections!! This is going to be 10 long days...

Eric, do you need any help with that plan to stymie the hamster? I need something to stay busy

I knew you'd drool for that tidbit...

Heh, now that I got it, I'm not so much drooling, as impersonating that (in)famous Cheshire Cat when I think about how much of these tidbits we at Candlekeep already had been given a year or two back. (And for some reason I'm not suprpised they failed to find a way to sneak in the list of synonyms for breasts or the "stronger" cursewords)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 21 Mar 2006 01:00:13
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  02:09:15  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouch, my brain hurts from reading this.
Given my group, this will most likely be something that stays on the bookshelf.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  05:01:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it!

Only skimmed Ed's chapters so far - had a sneaky peek at Eric's beforehand. Nice. Good realmslore. Unobtrusive game mechanics. Hate how the editor changed Sythillis to Sothillis for no real reason. Glad to see the little Impiltur bits snuck in. On to Mysteries of the Moonsea - which will be a total surprise for me. Can't wait.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  05:06:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neat... So if it's out in Adelaide... Perth can't be far behind. I'll check my local stores today after work.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  05:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok this one goes out to anybody, but I am guessing people have thought about this some,

Where oh where does it tell me how much tax money landholders get?

Should it just be abstract i.e. enough to put 1% of the population in arms unless the PC kicks in extra, or what 1 sp per month per person?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  14:19:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Got it!

Only skimmed Ed's chapters so far - had a sneaky peek at Eric's beforehand. Nice. Good realmslore. Unobtrusive game mechanics. Hate how the editor changed Sythillis to Sothillis for no real reason. Glad to see the little Impiltur bits snuck in. On to Mysteries of the Moonsea - which will be a total surprise for me. Can't wait.

-- George Krashos

My minor gripe also on the edit of the name.....

Call me crazy but I've always (as the guy who created the name) pronounced the ogre mage's name as si-THILL-us, accent heavy on the center syllable.

<Shrug> Oh well.....

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  05:27:16  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it!

Like I said to Ed somewhere else: DM Heaven. Pure and simple.

And yes: I love how you built on the Business ownership rules of DMG2 and the Heroes of Battle stuff. I won't have to 'relearn' other rule systems, which will allow me to focus on the most important DM task: plotline. Of all the non-FR stuff I've purchased in the last two years, Heroes of Battle is a close second to the Complete Adventurer book, as far as my DM usage goes. DMG2 is a close third, now that two out of my five PCs are joint business owners in Velprintalar.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  03:36:00  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see the spoiler on page 28 as a big item. It seems like a logical conclusion and doesn't affect my enthusiasm for the last book.

What is the symbol on the title page, anyway?

and BTW, from Eric Boyd in the question of Tiamat and Banites in Unther
quote:
This is addressed in an upcoming product.

just Unther, or all the Old Empires? (I know you can't answer that NDA, probably)

I guess the bit with Unther is also tied in with the NPC Ningal from FRCS?

Great work on the book, also.

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  18:44:30  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I too have the Power of Faerūn! Bravo, bravo.

Eric, could you list which of the chapters you were the primary author of? (I wish more detailed crediting was given on the credits/copyright page.)
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  19:16:39  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Now I too have the Power of Faerūn! Bravo, bravo.

Eric, could you list which of the chapters you were the primary author of? (I wish more detailed crediting was given on the credits/copyright page.)

Always difficult to "credit" as authors collaborate and mix their content.

I had the lead for Chapters 2, 3, 4, 5, and 9, but Ed did all the creamy Realmslore sidebars.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  01:28:22  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Ed's writing style is so distinctive that its pretty easy to spot.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  01:40:26  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is, but as Eric says, the collaboration and development in RPG books complicates that. And there's something to be said for respecting the cooperative alchemy and keeping credits vague, but I think the pros of detailed crediting outweigh the cons.
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  03:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos(snip)Hate how the editor changed Sythillis to Sothillis for no real reason. (snip)

Any idea why this was done? FWIW, the gallery on the WotC website uses the correct spelling.

Great book, BTW. This is the just the catalyst that I needed to generate some ideas for my next FR campaign which is going to be lighter on combat than past games (with the consent of the players so there's no "DM ruling from on high" driving this).

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  12:47:51  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did notice a Major Opps on the Write-Ups of one of the NPCs.
A Wizard with Martial Weapon Prof: Dagger, fell out of my chair laughing at that one.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  17:36:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed yesterday that the map and illustration of Sune's temple don't match the written description... Also, one of the buildings in the map disappears in the illustration!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2006 :  01:39:50  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, and I'm getting even more excited due to the steady stream of tantalising information being offered here.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2006 :  02:55:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I noticed yesterday that the map and illustration of Sune's temple don't match the written description... Also, one of the buildings in the map disappears in the illustration!

Umm, I must be blind, because I had a look at this and all the numbers and buildings seemed to match up fine. What's missing WR?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2006 :  03:58:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Umm, I must be blind, because I had a look at this and all the numbers and buildings seemed to match up fine. What's missing WR?

-- George Krashos

Building 1 is described as being three cylindrical towers merged into one whole. But the building numbered 1 in the map is just a regular building. There's only three towers in the entire picture, and at least one is identified as something else... The drawing of the building doesn't look a thing like three towers.

Building 5, the Radiant Tower, is described as being four stories. In the illustration, it and the other towers literally tower (pun not intended) over the rest of the complex. But the Hall of Love (building 4) is also described as four stories -- the same height. Buildings 3 and 6, the Hall of Passion and the Artisan's Quarters, are described as having three stories, which is nearly the same height. Yet in the illustration, none of these buildings is anywhere near as tall as the Radiant Tower.

Oh, and how can the Radiant Tower have a beautiful rooftop garden if it's got the same cap on top as the other towers (maybe purchased from Glarasteer Rhauligan? )?

Lastly... If you look at the map from the southeastern wall, where the gate is, you'll note that the Radiant Tower and the tower next to it form a straight line parallel to this wall. Also parallel to this wall is the Artisan's Quarters, right behind the towers. From that wall, looking between the towers, the Artisan's Quarters should be visible. Yet, in the little inset illustration, which is looking at the temple from that same angle, the Artisan's Quarters are not visible. In fact, one of the wall towers should be blocked by this building, and yet it is clearly visible.

So the numbers and buildings do add up, but the illustration and the descriptions don't. But... It's not the first time the description and the artwork haven't matched. Hopefully this one won't result in a retcon the way the drow skintone issue did.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Mar 2006 04:00:05
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2006 :  04:40:20  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"drow skintone issue" ?

I think I missed this one, could you explain?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2006 :  05:00:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

"drow skintone issue" ?

I think I missed this one, could you explain?

The text about the drow skin tone in the Underdark sourcebook, or was it Races of Faerun?, was changed because artists supposedly can't draw/paint/etc ebony/obsidian skinned drow, even though I've seen many ebony/obsidian skinned drow from fan artists, etc. :)

Yes, we did ask Richard Baker about it and that was his answer.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Mar 2006 05:05:34
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2006 :  05:23:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was Underdark... with Rich saying that they only did this in one sourcebook in the last 20 or so years because the artists had a difficult time drawing drow... thus the text was changed to match the artist images.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  07:42:15  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, have any of you all gone over how Sythillis' leadership score was calculated?

It looks like his number of followers was calculated using 37 as his score, which is 740 1st levels, which is then doubled by the Extra followers feat to get 1480. Why isn't it 52 like it says in the book? None of these are follower specific, i.e. castle, power etc...

I am assuming that this is 25 plus his commander rating (7) and his decoration bonus (+5), which adds to 37. but not including the +15 for his influence.

The +4 for the rulership feat, and the +1 to his leadership score are calculated into the 25 total for leadership.

He has the right number of total feats which is 9, but why doesn't he have the Epic Leadership feat? That would give him way more followers he would have a +34 base, then +17 for his rank and decorations and then a +15 for his influence for a grand total of +66, which would give him 7200 first level followers. I'm guessing they didn't want to use anything from the epic level handbook. Or am I just adding things up wrong?

Ok let me think about this, the second one Daelegoth, just uses the modifiers in the book, i.e. +2 for bishop, -2 for heretic, +1 for speaker, +3 influence for a +29 which is the number of followers they give him. So this one make sense.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  07:46:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PoF has arrived

*drool*

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  08:33:04  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Hey, have any of you all gone over how Sythillis' leadership score was calculated?

It looks like his number of followers was calculated using 37 as his score, which is 740 1st levels, which is then doubled by the Extra followers feat to get 1480. Why isn't it 52 like it says in the book? None of these are follower specific, i.e. castle, power etc...

I am assuming that this is 25 plus his commander rating (7) and his decoration bonus (+5), which adds to 37. but not including the +15 for his influence.

The +4 for the rulership feat, and the +1 to his leadership score are calculated into the 25 total for leadership.

He has the right number of total feats which is 9, but why doesn't he have the Epic Leadership feat? That would give him way more followers he would have a +34 base, then +17 for his rank and decorations and then a +15 for his influence for a grand total of +66, which would give him 7200 first level followers. I'm guessing they didn't want to use anything from the epic level handbook. Or am I just adding things up wrong?

Ok let me think about this, the second one Daelegoth, just uses the modifiers in the book, i.e. +2 for bishop, -2 for heretic, +1 for speaker, +3 influence for a +29 which is the number of followers they give him. So this one make sense.

Those all HURT my poor brain when I look at them.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000