Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Power of Faerűn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  23:46:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Finally got my copy, really good overall. May WOTC gives Ed and Eric more opportunities to work together!

Little things I disliked :

A bit thin on ELH specific-content. (Was Inferno created for it?)

Inferno dates back to FOR1 - Draconomicon [1e]. He's always been the "baddest" dragon in the Realms.

quote:
Too much emphasis on Heroes of Battle stuff.

The only emphasis is in the Battle chapter, IMO. We decided that most purchasers would be disappointed if we reiterated a whole new set of rules for fighting battles or if we ignored HoB.

quote:
I was a bit sad to see no updates on the banite Mintar battlefield.

I tried to give updates on all the "hot zones", and that one didn't quite make the cut. That said, there's a bit of info in Dragons of Faerun on this ongoing strife (assuming it survives the editor's knife).

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  00:10:14  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

I tried to give updates on all the "hot zones", and that one didn't quite make the cut. That said, there's a bit of info in Dragons of Faerun on this ongoing strife (assuming it survives the editor's knife).

I know for HoR, it's a personal thing

If the same thing happens, cumulated info could made a nice add-on somewhere...

Oh, old Draconomicon, *blow the dust over it* !
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  01:59:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Day 2 Plan: Release the miniature giant space hamsters, forcing the Wooly One to spend the day rounding them up (and thereby not get around to the infamous page 28). Back-up Plan: Drive off the Fed-Ex Man with the Miniature Giant Space Hamster SWARM!!!!

--Eric

Ha ha! Your dastardly little plan has failed! Not only are all my Miniature Giant Space Hamsters present and accounted for, but I now have the book in my hand!

Apparently, my FLGS still doesn't have it, and when I called at 5, they had no idea what was up with it... So I called Barnes & Noble. They had it, and since I had a coupon for 15% off, on top of the 10% off for the membership card, I made an expedition up to there.

All I've had a chance to look at was the infamous page 28 spoiler, and it really didn't surprise me too much. I'd look thru the book more, but I've got some editing to do...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  03:06:05  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With regard to the notorious page 28, I found the paragraph dealing with the war in Unther far more eye opening.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  03:22:51  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question for Eric, but I'm pretty sure you won't answer

Who took the decision to "undo" the death of Eltan and Scar from the Baldur's Gates novels ? Ref. p.83.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  03:35:41  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

With regard to the notorious page 28, I found the paragraph dealing with the war in Unther far more eye opening.

For my part, it was the Moander one.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  04:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
STOP IT!! this is torture..too many hints at Realmslore.

I won't be getting my copy till tomorrow.

firk, grumble, first, I look at page 28 to see the fuss, then look for Unther, third Moander...

sigh..... so much Realmslore... <drool>

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  04:27:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who took the decision to "undo" the death of Eltan and Scar from the Baldur's Gates novels ? Ref. p.83.

does it acknowledge that they died in the first place?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  04:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Yes; their death is "undone" by resurrection.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  04:41:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Yes; their death is "undone" by resurrection.

So theres actually mention of Bhaalspawn saga events in PoF?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  04:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
So theres actually mention of Bhaalspawn saga events in PoF?

Yes, although no Bhaalspawn are actually mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  04:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dies ut say anything about Sardash?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  04:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Presuming you mean Saradush, not that I can find.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  04:58:13  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who wrote the section? Me.

Who brought Eltan back? FRCS [3e], p. 225.

Who brought Scar back? Me / By implication from above.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  05:20:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Smirks at the mention of the events from the Bhaalspawn novels.

Well, well, well, there's two sourcebooks in 3/3.5e that mentions those events now plus the slew of 2e material.

But of course, those events aren't canon. Rolls eyes.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 16 Mar 2006 05:23:41
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  05:30:52  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that those 2 are officialy back, I can say I accept the novels as canon
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  05:31:17  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this tome is the most weirdly written tome ive ever seen. and ive read my fair share of S&S. the incredible use of parenthesis is astounding. im still reading it. (i was pleasantly surprised to see it show up in my mailbox today!!!)

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  05:45:01  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

this tome is the most weirdly written tome ive ever seen. and ive read my fair share of S&S. the incredible use of parenthesis is astounding. im still reading it. (i was pleasantly surprised to see it show up in my mailbox today!!!)

Yes it is written very very differently than any of the other books.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  06:33:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Smirks at the mention of the events from the Bhaalspawn novels.

Well, well, well, there's two sourcebooks in 3/3.5e that mentions those events now plus the slew of 2e material.

But of course, those events aren't canon. Rolls eyes.

Indeed.

There can't be much more in the way of doubt about the "supposed" canon validity of the Bhaalspawn events from those who have continued to claim otherwise .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  06:40:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there anything in PoF that builds onto the Aristocrat NPC class?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  07:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just found something; a herald for Saradush is listed.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  07:44:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Just found something; a herald for Saradush is listed.

We've had a herald for saradush since Code of the Harpers.

Any mention of a new High herald? Inquiring minds want to know ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  10:09:25  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could someone (Arivia ?? ) spoil me something (by pm if you don't want it to "dirty the scroll"):

1. Are there any interesting high-level (above 20) npc's in the book ??
2. Who is this Mhair Gulzrabban shown in the Art Gallery ??

Thanks !!

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  12:39:18  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now that those 2 are officialy back, I can say I accept the novels as canon

Hmm, so that means some of the joinable character from the BG series could now be considered cannon characters .

Out of interest, does anyone know which NPCs from the games actually feature in the novels?

Edited by - nbnmare on 16 Mar 2006 13:23:44
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  13:09:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the guys over at Enworld said there where some rather bad editing problems in PoF

"Within 10 minutes of reading the book I found major problems with one of the prestige classes, the Herald.

1. It doesn't have a BAB or save progression.

2. It doesn't list the hit die granted.

3. It has a table labeled 'Court Herald Spells Known', but doesn't detail spells per day.

4. It only has 11 levels of progression in the 'Spells Known' table. It has a power listed at level 12. That power, 'you gain spell resistance equal to your character level', is effectively useless. You can't get this power until you're at least character level 19. What good is SR19 to a 19th level character?

In short, the prestige class, as published, is completely unplayable."

Later on Mike Mearls (THE WOTC editor for PoF)posted the following

"The buck for any errors made in this book stops with me. I'm out of the office right now (working at home with a bad cold), but when I get back in I'll see about the process we have for errata.

I can say that, in the case of the NPCs, many of them have levels assigned based on what they do in the novels or other story considerations."

By the way is there any Banite goodness in PoF?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 16 Mar 2006 13:19:50
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  13:22:35  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Banites play a role in the Old empires battle. The Banites of the Lake of Steam didn't make the cut as said earlier by Eric.
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  13:30:35  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Horray for Moander! I'd love to see him eat a few choice chunks of power and come raging back. That was my favorite teaser bit.

Haven't finished reading it yet, as I'm splitting my reading time between the new Tome of Magic, PoF and the 5th WotSQ book.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  16:25:01  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of the guys over at Enworld said there where some rather bad editing problems in PoF

"Within 10 minutes of reading the book I found major problems with one of the prestige classes, the Herald.

1. It doesn't have a BAB or save progression.

2. It doesn't list the hit die granted.

3. It has a table labeled 'Court Herald Spells Known', but doesn't detail spells per day.

4. It only has 11 levels of progression in the 'Spells Known' table. It has a power listed at level 12. That power, 'you gain spell resistance equal to your character level', is effectively useless. You can't get this power until you're at least character level 19. What good is SR19 to a 19th level character?

In short, the prestige class, as published, is completely unplayable."

It's not a complete mess, the only real problem is that it's lacking a 12th level of spells known and a spells per day table. Otherwise it says it's a modification of the Lorekeeper PrC, so you're suppose to refer to it for most of that stuff. I'd say they were just trying a different way of printing PrC's that didn't really work to well.

There are a number of editing issues in the Border Kingdoms chapter with respect to postscript references to other books, in a lot of cases they aren't postscripted properly and in most cases they're not the most recent reference to a monster (ie they all refer to Monsters of Faerun when a bunch have been reprinted in Lost Empires)
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  16:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
We've had a herald for saradush since Code of the Harpers.

indeed.

quote:

Any mention of a new High herald? Inquiring minds want to know ...

-- George Krashos

Nope.

quote:
Originally posted by Torkwaret

Could someone (Arivia ?? ) spoil me something (by pm if you don't want it to "dirty the scroll"):

1. Are there any interesting high-level (above 20) npc's in the book ??

Yes.

quote:

2. Who is this Mhair Gulzrabban shown in the Art Gallery ??

Thanks !!

Mhair leads the Company of the Cloak, a presented rival adventuring party.

Regarding the Court Herald prestige class: It also needs a class progression table and a 12th level of spells known. That's it, actually.

Edited by - Arivia on 16 Mar 2006 16:59:53
Go to Top of Page

Kaysae
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  18:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Kaysae's Homepage Send Kaysae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only have one question for Eric (if he's still checking the thread) or a scribe that can point it out for me.

It's minor really, but, why did the Sythillisian Empire become the Sothillisian Empire? It's been that way since 2E, it just struck me as incredibly odd.

Also, I hope the reprecussions of Final Gate are addressed fairly soonish (either more novels or a game update), because that really can't just be left to sit there (like the Return of the Archwizards has).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000