Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Help with a Character name
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Patman21967
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  07:29:06  Show Profile  Visit Patman21967's Homepage Send Patman21967 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey folks,
I am new to the forums, and am in a little pickle. Perhaps the Wisdom of the Sages can help me out. I'll make it short.

We are starting a new Cormyr campaign, set in the time of Azouth IV reign, so it it somewhat in the past. I plan on playing a fighter. I would like some help with a Cormyrian name. Here is a blurb on the characters background.

He was born to a tavern girl/prostitute, who died during childbirth. It is unknown who his father was, could have been one of many. So, the tavern keeper took him in, and just called him Boy, since he had no name. He grew large, fast. At a young age, he was very restless, and got in many scrapes with the local youth, so the tavern keeper pulled a few strings, and sent him to the local garrison of the Purple Dragons at about 10. Most boys weren't sent until after their 12th birthday, so he has always been the youngest. He was chided by many of the other boys, and called things such as "bastard" and "whoreson". That stopped quickly, at least to his face, after a few broken arms, and dented skulls. He grew incredibly large and strong. At12 he was nearly 6 feet and 200 pounds. The leader of the garrison took particular interest in straightening him out, and assigned the best of the warriors, Dahlmyr, as his personal instructor. Through much hard work, and very strict supervision, he has grown into a fine young man. Perhaps a little quick to anger, but follows a strong personal code of morality. ( NG ) He has taken to boasting that he will be the greatest Dragon to have ever served, and will someday be general of Cormyrs vast armies. This, of course, draws snickers and laughs, but very few to his face.

I need a name. Something that the men of the garrison would call him. I was thinking it would be something to do with his immense size, and phenomenal strength. I would like it to be something fitting the setting. Tharkul was suggested, which I was told means "OgreKing" don't really like it. Young Drake was suggested, because of the affiliation with the Dragons, and it could also be percieved to be a slight mockery.

So my wise and all-knowing friends, can you lend a long time realms gamer a hand? I seem to be at a blank, and since this will be a role-playing intensive campaign, I don't want to resort to the old standby, Bolechim Reeb. ( Michelob Beer ) I was really hurting for a name that time.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick Capossere
Patman21967@comcast.net

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  07:43:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patman21967

Hey folks,
I am new to the forums...
Greetings to you Patman and welcome to Candlekeep .

Please note that I have removed the other topic you posted elsewhere since you've essentially asked the same question in two different areas of Candleekep. This is the more appropriate section for this type of query.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Patman21967
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  08:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Patman21967's Homepage Send Patman21967 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I present you with this Laurel....and Hearty handshake...movie reference anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  08:49:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A seach offers a list of common human males names that include"

First Name: Vangerdahast, Azoun, Bradaskras, Sarp, Alaphondar, Brace, Giogi, Chanthalas, Florin, Aubaerus, Augrathar, Baerauble, Beldred, Bhereu, Faerlthann, Francan, Garmos, Gondegal, Halantaver, Jolias, Junstal, Lheskar, Martin, Mulkaer, Ondeth , Orphast, Peldan, Rhigaerd, Thaun, Thomdor

Last Name: Obarskyr, Redbeard, Etharr, Woodband, Ambershields, Bleth, Buruin, Dracohorn, Felsonn, Fireblade, Frayault, Gelzunduth, Halarn, Huntsilver, Illance, Imbranneth, Jelde, Khelbor, Lurelake, Olorar, Roaringhorn, Rowanmantle, Saernclaws, Trueshield, Tyranon, Undril

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  12:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some quickly thought up names - hopefully they might help:

First names:Galagar, Thormtar, Allantor, Balaeryn, Arghoun, Roryndar, Maerlyn, Brindor, Telthyn, Orngaul, Beregar, Braethar, Glauroth, Jhaelmor, Balavaern, Pheldroun, Maerdoun, Dalathar

Last names:Dragonshields, Tarnshimmer, Phindol, Elbrost, Eldarryn, Darynduth, Saembrar, Orthaun, Helmshar, Sulthrar

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  14:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, if he were to choose for himself at a young age, he might well choose Azoun, and daydream he was the bastard child of his king. (There are SO many of those it might even be possible.)

For a good selection of names, try looking in Cormyr: A Novel.

Brace might be a name that fits the character, I think I read of one guy by that name from the Scatterhawk clan...

Oh and Welcome to the 'keep!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  17:21:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Additionally, there are many name generators scattered about the internet.

One note about his history: I think that even an unrelated tavern keeper would still name the infant, especially if he took him in. Or, if he or she didn't come up with a name, then one of the other tavern workers would quickly name him something. Just calling him "Boy", rather than giving him a name, seems cruel to me.

One last note about names. Names aren't always easy to come up with. And sometimes, names come to me out of the blue, with or without any concept attached to them. I write them all down. Ditto for when I'm brainstorming names. Later, when I need a name, I peruse my list and see if anything catches my eye. I'd heartily recommend this method.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  17:34:47  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just calling him "Boy", rather than giving him a name, seems cruel to me.

Dunno, I call my son "Boy" all the time and it works fine.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  17:57:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Forge

quote:
Just calling him "Boy", rather than giving him a name, seems cruel to me.

Dunno, I call my son "Boy" all the time and it works fine.

Yeah, but I'm seriously doubting that you call him that because he doesn't have a name at all.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  00:04:56  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Additionally, there are many name generators scattered about the internet.

The Everchanging Book Of Names was recommended to me here, I was very impressed with it. It has a Realms add on you can download.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  21:29:29  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Now I get to add a none-too-sublte plug for a name-generator I wrote. The generator analyzes a list of names and looks for frequencies of characters, character combos, prefixes, suffixes, etc. There is actually quite a lot it does when analyzing names and recreating them. So far I have "fed" the generator a list of "seed names" about one hundred names long from various Forgotten Realms sources so it can analyze them.

The more names it has the better it generates new ones (just like a larger sample size tends to help in statistical analysis), so I hope to add more names soon. In fact, the list that Kudge provided in his EXCEL spreadsheet may very well become an invalueable source of name material.

To be honest, I think random-generation of names is good for giving a DM/PC an IDEA to run with. I find that I only care for about half of the randomly generated names I come up with so....The others ones I usually ignore or change to suit my needs. To be frank, Forgotten Realms names are actually quite STRANGE as far as names go. I have access to several million "real world" names and the frequency of letters (And letter combos) in the real world (At least for English names) is WAY different than FR names. I'm sure that is rather obvious though.

Also, I second the belief that EBON (Everchanging Book of Names, it can be searched for on the web) is a top notch generator. I just wrote my own because EBON is not free and eventually I can give my version away. See, since there are already TEN MILLION name generators out there...I figured everyone was DIEING to get ahold of another one.

Or something like that....

Now for the shamless list of names...I can do male or female.
MALE : Baryrelin Urmerandar
MALE : Lilorare Daler
MALE : Winthir Skosalim
MALE : Delcha Bulastal
MALE : Ithlska Kerolern
MALE : Shalerom Sthams
MALE : Engarori Flamanshae
MALE : Rmalos Gharmar
MALE : Erdlden Szaryutaf
MALE : Eimon Rman
MALE : Mqundaer Rmaraern
MALE : Charham Jalamyma
MALE : Nthantr Karperaman
MALE : Lderinte Olaerildu
MALE : Raethl Arowgarm
MALE : Marenthas Lirerend
MALE : Jhaxiar Avermael
MALE : Auriorion Darkerate
MALE : Hantra Ndaranta
MALE : Mirorthin Skeriarst
MALE : Taendel Dard
MALE : Orontab Gondla
MALE : Eriarine Juthoustr
MALE : Jaeragul Hundri
MALE : Raundand Penst
MALE : Ereth Mintha
MALE : Arontha Zharthlat
MALE : Areran Fyuth
MALE : Drdelor Zinthae
MALE : Kardarelg Rilfy
MALE : Gerulorord Kerirond
MALE : Aronthan Shamal
MALE : Szeleraum Oronspe
MALE : Aulthonthir Funeriv
MALE : Simalchu Riveron
MALE : Manaro Hambrint
MALE : Rulbami Sklar
MALE : Matharalt Kelaeras
MALE : Anthathr Goulbanduri
MALE : Mrve Lyrythoun
MALE : Yrion Beatelmae
MALE : Kothlori Skatherthr
MALE : Onderorl Gerstaler
MALE : Iskorindon Martham
MALE : Marink Goa
MALE : Fulanthae Reriva
MALE : Myrint Orathriat
MALE : Taerl Zuntrst
MALE : Gothand Reriverl
MALE : Ulimsu Thaelern
MALE : Zentori Lythowb
MALE : Munthirha Shantarli
MALE : Chorthin Charmilen
MALE : Baronth Helors
MALE : Felin Heriveri
MALE : Queldero Thorethon
MALE : Araran Pesthron
MALE : Dathir Darthanc
MALE : Horioras Belantar
MALE : Zeraum Barsgon
MALE : Ganderau Arindusk
MALE : Skarel Roster
MALE : Barven Starshro
MALE : Pewinti Souri
MALE : Orirathin Suel
MALE : Qula Urymilerm
MALE : Shorocal Lamanear
MALE : Kelthindr Rintarero
MALE : Halpharaz Elautjuns
MALE : Sariril Winthrska
MALE : Bariorthen Whanthora
MALE : Intrasil Suns
MALE : Wiros Dersondi
MALE : Arangu Garita
MALE : Furathor Ontarspe
MALE : Mochasha Ndarmars
MALE : Dyrelias Naliring
MALE : Brims Goldari
MALE : Balalb Ndadalir
MALE : Guntha Shrspens
MALE : Anathlran Daintal
MALE : Krintarim Ghytarith
MALE : Ththalda Thrymberh
MALE : Wither Salmandand
MALE : Delindaros Insulm
MALE : Qunthunm Gontav
MALE : Sbelden Rithmen
MALE : Gergunty Juthuta
MALE : Beyrothamel Mandjan
MALE : Anthil Ndersh
MALE : Yagrind Tarthustr
MALE : Suthamp Fasta
MALE : Alsaros Droulavaern
MALE : Beraros Haers
MALE : Varant Ins
MALE : Barontyr Miranda
MALE : Shintra Shorindath
MALE : Uthae Nshimind
MALE : Chetham Selirondan
MALE : Orgerlana Sparyrueri
MALE : Rariong Lbarelat

<HINT> Make RAKKIR happy and ask him to post lists of names here...it will make him think his time isin't wasted. </HINT>
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  22:48:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RAKKIR

Hello,

Now I get to add a none-too-sublte plug for a name-generator I wrote. The generator analyzes a list of names and looks for frequencies of characters, character combos, prefixes, suffixes, etc. There is actually quite a lot it does when analyzing names and recreating them. So far I have "fed" the generator a list of "seed names" about one hundred names long from various Forgotten Realms sources so it can analyze them.

Big Al might be interested in hosting such a generator on this site. You should contact him and ask.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  22:55:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also download my FR NPC file, it's sticky'd in the general thread or it can be found in my sig, and find a fiting name from that. :) The Everchanging Book of Names also helps and it has a FR add on.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 25 Jul 2005 22:57:22
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  23:01:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Hello,

Big Al might be interested in hosting such a generator on this site. You should contact him and ask.

Well met

Indeed, indeed A fine selection of names generated. Tell me, RAKKIR, what female names did thee manage to conjure?

As the wooly one stated, i'd be more than happy to include this generator here at Candlekeep.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  12:35:49  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for asking. It actually does make me feel usefull. *Winks*

Here is a list of 100 female names. So far I have only analyzed human male and female names. I suppose elves and dwarves are left.

Speaking of which....is there a good sourcebook for Elven names in the Realms? I know the old "Dwarves Deep" book (which I have) has a large selection of Dwarven names in it. Anything like that for Elves? Or Halflings/Gnomes?

FEMALE: Ethyth Buthrow
FEMALE: Malel Imrerast
FEMALE: Identhule Fularlen
FEMALE: Iyr Tanelder
FEMALE: Beszal Untrethl
FEMALE: Anthlilen Maleram
FEMALE: Sthalesh Wastlarl
FEMALE: Brndrthi Nthrth
FEMALE: Iyraly Zinthoring
FEMALE: Ilaner Verospelele
FEMALE: Galera Funtali
FEMALE: Alaril Harishr
FEMALE: Lerathe Gonthon
FEMALE: Jalar Serad
FEMALE: Amanthan Ivermbar
FEMALE: Alfand Ularinthre
FEMALE: Jandal Utherym
FEMALE: Janthale Mantharn
FEMALE: Brath Gharmyme
FEMALE: Yae Amshone
FEMALE: Ulesthen Barthr
FEMALE: Iytha Startalmer
FEMALE: Galath Himeredja
FEMALE: Eiraleirat Helathald
FEMALE: Filent Indrdla
FEMALE: Brlirirtha Menthond
FEMALE: Zoeryt Goavenstal
FEMALE: Welith Ineshali
FEMALE: Galirha Baraelm
FEMALE: Dandr Rurandaloathou
FEMALE: Dalalara Mortzulckl
FEMALE: Ililin Sinsunds
FEMALE: Thalme Nethamar
FEMALE: Lelenthl Alor
FEMALE: Zorhesa Parondryn
FEMALE: Thanthae Farderol
FEMALE: Yulatha Nshaderi
FEMALE: Filiya Wae
FEMALE: Ethar Zildat
FEMALE: Yulet Outaldem
FEMALE: Wendaly Fundestl
FEMALE: Obrha Ghereste
FEMALE: Land Caerores
FEMALE: Jathalu Sou
FEMALE: Chandalena Sontalerelm
FEMALE: Ratathai Lerith
FEMALE: Zaneraly Yuleros
FEMALE: Shalarila Flanchendon
FEMALE: Thali Berouthl
FEMALE: Zaliya Brimore
FEMALE: Iyrthera Ilauthrerow
FEMALE: Calilathal Zintared
FEMALE: Fisanthli Alfrshan
FEMALE: Qaeshanda Rarithul
FEMALE: Galael Mandondrey
FEMALE: Reshalath Uthens
FEMALE: Rand Jurintan
FEMALE: Dlaranda Keldero
FEMALE: Jaera Roredoun
FEMALE: Alilgalei Madinthundo
FEMALE: Lorgale Wiruirent
FEMALE: Biyulas Roustal
FEMALE: Rathabrin Rintanson
FEMALE: Mrarha Malol
FEMALE: Ndlari Satharin
FEMALE: Yulena Thathali
FEMALE: Birhar Czitarely
FEMALE: Dalendralo Flin
FEMALE: Zalatal Winansta
FEMALE: Mrasta Gerirind
FEMALE: Xeneth Zaryulm
FEMALE: Yamhlulet Kuth
FEMALE: Eratharali Mbander
FEMALE: Shular Garald
FEMALE: Malesta Jathorlim
FEMALE: Elethae Karintandin
FEMALE: Aleszari Ainta
FEMALE: Hemha Sklari
FEMALE: Ethalira Bunthal
FEMALE: Iyrat Brintam
FEMALE: Yaeth Talarintel
FEMALE: Irathe Ruth
FEMALE: Retalines Imyrimin
FEMALE: Kathia Shrithro
FEMALE: Firalila Venthrort
FEMALE: Theliranthena Talent
FEMALE: Bliyr Barm
FEMALE: Aestra Dandund
FEMALE: Firath Olan
FEMALE: Aralema Thrithlar
FEMALE: Cathalet Verivendst
FEMALE: Yrina Winsharu
FEMALE: Loentalu Karalyul
FEMALE: Sharndy Rtanta
FEMALE: Zandaste Gondarthm
FEMALE: Mhathliy Zaldarder
FEMALE: Zandale Lold
FEMALE: Wenda Whis
FEMALE: Endal Sonderon
FEMALE: Jathael Buthrindou
FEMALE: Chant Hariversto

What percentage of these names do you think are actually viable? Do you think it is as high as 50%? My goal is to achieve a 50% success rate.
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  13:54:58  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now lets just face it, to not be satisfied with RAKKIR's list would simply be gluttony.

However, I have noted something neat about your lists RAKKIR. I don't know if you intended it, but many of your names have some very welsh aspects to them. Personally, whenever I play Cormyr, I base it very much off of Medieval Whales (sort of like Arthur and Merlin, only without the french satire). Cormyr, by its 'ryr', sounds very welsh itself. I don't know if you intended this RAKKIR, but it certainly does fit.

On that note, generally when trying to find a name for someone from a certain region, consider which country in our world is may have the most in common. In the case of Cormyr, Welsh, scottish, english and some irish names work very well. What's even cooler is to use the appropriate accent.

"At what temperature does a Goblin boil?"
"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."
"If a Svirfneblin falls in the underdark, does anybody care?"
Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  15:43:34  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sir Luther,

The lists generated are based entirely off a list of seed-names I fed the system. Depending upon what seed-names you give the program you will get different results. However, all generated names do subscribe to some fairly strict rules as far complying with patterns/statistical-occrences found in the seed names and cannot be HUGELY divergent from them or COMPLTELY off-the-wall. By this I mean, if only 1% of the letters in the seed-names are "Z" you're not going to generate names where 5% of the letters are "Z." However, there is some controls in there where the DM/user can choose how "loose" he wants the system to be. So you can create more "strict" names and more zany names.

The reason that it may sound Cormyr-ish is that a good many of my seed-names came from "Volo's Guide to the Dalelands" and "Volo's Guide to Cormyr." However, this is entirely coincedental.

If we feed it Orcish seed names, we'll get an entirely different set that sound Orcish. Which is the whole point of course.

This is why I want good seed names for other races so I can start building the "portfolio" of seed names so to speak.
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  15:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would not give a last name. The original boxed set said that most humans don't have family names. Those are only for nobles or want-to-be nobles. Most people are just Lashan of Scardale, or Lashan of Tyr if a priest.

How about the name Boyd? It could be a natural progression from being called Boy to Boyd. Perhaps the local sergeant couldn't call him Boy, but decided to just add the D on the end. Sure, it's not completely fantasy literature and all, but it's a solid name.
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  17:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The lists generated are based entirely off a list of seed-names I fed the system. Depending upon what seed-names you give the program you will get different results. However, all generated names do subscribe to some fairly strict rules as far complying with patterns/statistical-occrences found in the seed names and cannot be HUGELY divergent from them or COMPLTELY off-the-wall. By this I mean, if only 1% of the letters in the seed-names are "Z" you're not going to generate names where 5% of the letters are "Z." However, there is some controls in there where the DM/user can choose how "loose" he wants the system to be. So you can create more "strict" names and more zany names.

Heh, neat program. Well then, on that note, if you want something a little more adhoc, maybe something welsh
http://home.clara.net/wfha/wales/glossary/

"At what temperature does a Goblin boil?"
"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."
"If a Svirfneblin falls in the underdark, does anybody care?"
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  18:19:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speaking of which....is there a good sourcebook for Elven names in the Realms? I know the old "Dwarves Deep" book (which I have) has a large selection of Dwarven names in it. Anything like that for Elves? Or Halflings/Gnomes?

I repeat, you could download my FR NPC list that has the 1e and 2e npcs and do a search for elves, halflings, gnomes, etc. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  21:09:58  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje,

Actually that was my intent from my first post

quote:
so I hope to add more names soon. In fact, the list that Kudge provided in his EXCEL spreadsheet may very well become an invalueable source of name material.

I just spelled your name incorrectly since I was going from memory. My bad.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  22:33:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kuje,

Actually that was my intent from my first post

quote:
so I hope to add more names soon. In fact, the list that Kudge provided in his EXCEL spreadsheet may very well become an invalueable source of name material.

I just spelled your name incorrectly since I was going from memory. My bad.

Ah, sorry didn't notice that the first time. :)

Go to Top of Page

Zimeros
Learned Scribe

Brazil
121 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  17:49:26  Show Profile  Visit Zimeros's Homepage Send Zimeros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look in the list of names in last page of D&D player's handbook...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000