Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Info on Volo
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  01:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings. I wish to learn more of the infamous Volothamp Geddarm. Who exactly is he? Where is he from? How did he get to know the great Elminster so well? ect. Any sourcebook that descirbes him well or any link would be useful. My thanks

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  01:39:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

Greetings. I wish to learn more of the infamous Volothamp Geddarm. Who exactly is he? Where is he from? How did he get to know the great Elminster so well? ect. Any sourcebook that descirbes him well or any link would be useful. My thanks

Some info about him can be found in Ed's replies here on the boards, see my sig. :)

Some info about him can be found in Volo's Volo's Guides. He's also been stated and given lore in various sourcebooks. See the sig again. :)

He's been turned into a frog before and he also makes appearance in last years Spin a Yarn from Gencon, the links can be found in my WOTC FR FAQ on those boards or in Ed's thread on page 48, I believe.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Jul 2005 02:00:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  04:12:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

He's been turned into a frog before and he also makes appearance in last years Spin a Yarn from Gencon, the links can be found in my WOTC FR FAQ on those boards or in Ed's thread on page 48, I believe.

Indeed. As the Lady Hooded One said many months ago -

quote:
Inevitably, it was, and as a result Volo (for his own protection, the Old Mage insists) spent some time as an ornamental frog sculpture in Elminster’s pond. He’s free again now, and I fear we’ve all not heard the last from Volo. :}
And again from THO -

quote:
Ed tells me Volo was freed almost two years ago, Realms-time, but there’s “free” and there’s “free,” if you know what I mean. Readers of Ed’s 2003 Spin A Yarn story know what he was briefly up to (and what most of the Seven Sisters think of him), and Ed tells me he also appears in the ‘thus-far-unseen, but handed in months ago’ 2004 Spin A Yarn story. I know some scribes will leap to tell me these stories aren’t canon, but to them I reply: this is VOLO we’re talking about, people! Volo!
P.S. There are several unpublished New Adventures of Volo DRAGON columns floating around in the WotC vaults, and some HORRIBLE poetry penned by Volo, too. To say nothing of a fragmentary ‘heaving bosoms’ broadsheet serial he started, ere one of his imprisonments . . .
love to all,
THO
The 2004 Spin A Yarn story, or rather the first two parts, is now available on the WotC site:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/spinayarn2004p1

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/spinayarn2004p2

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  17:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met. My thanks

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  16:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some, if not all, of Volo's guides can be downloaded free from the DnD website as PDF files. Here's a link:

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  16:08:55  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just the word volo, it reminds me of a man drinking alone in the bar, eternally drinking and drinking so that he may not be conscious for the tab.

"At what temperature does a Goblin boil?"
"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."
"If a Svirfneblin falls in the underdark, does anybody care?"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  17:17:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Indeed. As the Lady Hooded One said many months ago -

quote:
Inevitably, it was, and as a result Volo (for his own protection, the Old Mage insists) spent some time as an ornamental frog sculpture in Elminster’s pond. He’s free again now, and I fear we’ve all not heard the last from Volo. :}
And again from THO -

quote:
Ed tells me Volo was freed almost two years ago, Realms-time, but there’s “free” and there’s “free,” if you know what I mean. Readers of Ed’s 2003 Spin A Yarn story know what he was briefly up to (and what most of the Seven Sisters think of him), and Ed tells me he also appears in the ‘thus-far-unseen, but handed in months ago’ 2004 Spin A Yarn story. I know some scribes will leap to tell me these stories aren’t canon, but to them I reply: this is VOLO we’re talking about, people! Volo!
P.S. There are several unpublished New Adventures of Volo DRAGON columns floating around in the WotC vaults, and some HORRIBLE poetry penned by Volo, too. To say nothing of a fragmentary ‘heaving bosoms’ broadsheet serial he started, ere one of his imprisonments . . .
love to all,
THO
The 2004 Spin A Yarn story, or rather the first two parts, is now available on the WotC site:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/spinayarn2004p1

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/spinayarn2004p2

Part three is up:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/spinayarn2004p3

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  17:18:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thureen Buroch

Some, if not all, of Volo's guides can be downloaded free from the DnD website as PDF files. Here's a link:

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Unfortunately, the best of the group, Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, is absent from that list.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  17:20:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Unfortunately, the best of the group, Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, is absent from that list.

Given the popularity of the city, I'm not surprised at all by this abscence.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  01:09:05  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Given the popularity of the city, I'm not surprised at all by this abscence.

I wouldn't really have said any of the areas covered are unpopular.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000