Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Mood music for gaming
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  06:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tonight's session I highlighted a Nordic band called Garmarna. Its a small quintet (I think) of Danish folk arranging some of their country's native music. IMHO it worked great for the Moonsea!
Thysl

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  14:44:00  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used German and Irish Pub songs quite a bit, as well. Usually only for tavern scenes - which generally boil down to a fight. Ok, well, I usually get one or two tracks played before everything hits the fan.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  15:58:32  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thysl

Tonight's session I highlighted a Nordic band called Garmarna. Its a small quintet (I think) of Danish folk arranging some of their country's native music. IMHO it worked great for the Moonsea!
Thysl

While they're not my favourites, I've enough national pride to point out that they're actually Swedish

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:04:13  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arr, fine as Firehair, sorry for the mix up.
While we're on the subject - and you are a bit of an expert - can you toss out some bands like Garmarna for possible purchase, Kajehase?
Thysl

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung

Edited by - Thysl on 24 Oct 2005 20:06:10
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:52:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll admit to being more knowledgeable about Scottish guitar-bands than Swedish folk-music groups actually. But I can still rattle of a few:

Bo Hansson - the Lord of the Rings this one was made in the early seventies, but it's a big enough seller internationally (enough so that the record company that released it, still can pick and choose completely freely what they want to do based on this one record) that any record-shop worth the name should have it, I bought my own copy in Nottingham, for instance. He's also made a second record called The Wizard's Hat. These two are folk-music mixed with a sort of jazz-influenced late 60's rock-music, with an electric organ as the main instrument.

Hedningarna - Several records, plays a very energetic music with all kinds of instruments, think Finnish, North-swedish traditional folkdancing music meets ambient (speeded) house, played out on fiddles, diggeridoos, and the occasional chainsaw (well, okay, only one chain-saw - in the intro of one song). Not sure how easy to get they are outside Sweden/Finland.

Nordman - A failed attempt at being a Swedish Pogues without the political lyrics, a few songs are okay though.

Kebnekaise - Folkrockers from the early to mid 70's (well, they're still active, but that's when they were big). Their Hon kom över mo'n is something almost everyone in my generation has heard their parents' play at some time.

A real Danish group worth checking out (in my opinion) would be Sort Ros (or something like that, the copy I have is an old LP I left in care of my dad when I couldn't fit a gramophone into my room.

(I still prefer Belle & Sebastian, Snow Patrol, or Franz Ferdinand, though. But perhaps not when gaming)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 24 Oct 2005 20:53:26
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  02:43:26  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of Celtic music is really good for gaming, also.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  14:36:30  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm real big into music during gaming sessions, although I usually keep it real low, so as not to intrude or make us talk over it. I'm lucky enough to have a nice record player, and my parents were SCA geeks, so I have a whole vinyl set of renaissance music. A lot of the madrigals are great for "bard" music, whether in the tavern or the marketplace, and the chants for temples. I've also got tons of classical guitar stuff that can pass.

A lot of the folk/metal stuff I'm into has its uses, I don't find the electric guitars distracting if the melody is played on woodwinds or something else acoustic. Otyg is great, although I'd probably use it more for a "The North" campaign, rather than Cormyr where we're at now - it's a very "Viking" feel. Finntroll's great, I use the new album (Natfodd) for either rowdy tavern music (which it automatically becomes when my player walk in), or battle music. The acoustic one (Visor om Slutet) is great atmospheric stuff, especially for an enchanted (or just still) forest feel. Ulver's acoustic album (Kveldssanger) is good for this, too.

For a climactic battle, some Bal Sagoth is ok, but they're wicked Final Fantasy, which isn't usually a feel I want to impart to my game. For an "evil" (as opposed to "natural" or just humanoid-inhabited) dungeon, or battle vs. evil clerics and undead and such, I use either real or "fake" Black Metal. (I use lots of really raw-sounding stuff, like older Darkthrone or Satyricon, or Emperor, or even Enslaved, for general atmosphere, and slick-produced stuff like Dimmu Borgir, newer Emperor, Thorns or Dodheimsgard for epic-style goodness.)

And Blind Guardian (especially Nightfall on Middle Earth) is great for inspiring heroics and high fantasy. I really don't have any soundtracks, but I'd like to pick some up.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000