Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Mood music for gaming
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  15:25:59  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally use Coldplay and Franz Ferdinand for my city scenes. They seem to fit in pretty well - at times. Really depends on the city. Like Waterdeep has a Coldplay feel to it. Waterdeep is definitely more Franz Ferdinand. Baldur's Gate is more Ministry.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  15:27:40  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven

All about Eve: A Celtic/gothic band, you might need to search around for suitable songs; try the song Martha's Harbour
Angra: A Brazilian Power Metal band who (at least lately) use a varied amount instruments. Listen to their Temple of Shadows album in particular (indecently they're awesome live )
Apocalyptica: a more unorthodox metal band comprising of 4 chelloist. I recommend that you go for their earlier albums, as there are little or no vocals on these (Also stay away from their album of Metallica covers, unless of course you want your players singing along...)
Clannad: An Irish Celtic/pop band that features Enya (at least in some albums) and her sister, again you might need to listen to allot of their material to select the songs which are best for you.
Runrig: A Scottish band, they play traditional/Celtic/rock music. I'd recommended that you give them a listen to especially if you like Celtic music and would like to hear something slightly different.

And of Course...Hans Zimmer: Everyone’s favourite movie soundtrack writer! The last Samurai, Gladiator and King Arthur Need I say any more?

Arivia:
I'd agree that Ghost love score is a good choice, but I'd also recommend quite a large portion of Nightwish's back catalogue, including The carpenter, Astral Romance, Know Why The Nightingale Sings, Nymphomaniac Fantasia and Lappi (All from their first album Angels fall first. Devil And The Deep Dark Ocean, Passion And The Opera, Riddler, Pharaoh Sails To Orion
and Sleeping Sun
(From their second album Oceanborn).

Hope this helps at least someone!

Hanx
Elrond

Hey, what is Enya's sister's name again?

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  19:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane
Hey, what is Enya's sister's name again?

Máire Brennan, I *think*.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  02:29:16  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool. I was going to look up Clannad and see what albums to pick up.

My wife and I are always on the lookout for more gaming music. It's good to have some trusted recommendations around... thanks, guys.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  01:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, has anyone mentioned Radio Rivendell?

It's a streaming internet radio station that plays only Fantasy music.

Check out this link here: http://www.radiorivendell.com/

You could put it on in the background for your gaming session or you could go to their website and check out their library for great ideas on soundtracks and albums to add to your own collection.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  15:19:02  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa... that's awesome, I am going to have to find a way to stream that out to my gaming room.

Hey, anyone use any modern stuff besides me for their D&D games? Sometimes I throw some Queen on as well.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  22:23:23  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sometimes I throw some Queen on as well.

Imagine, Bohemian Rhapsody every time Elminster enters the room. Fantastic idea. Or Mustapha whenever Manshoon speaks.

Personally I find music distracting while gaming. Maybe its because my hearing is not all that good.
Still, Diamanda Galas is great for vampire sessions. The Elizabeth soundtrack is very good. So is the Basil Polidoris soundtracks, but others has mentioned him. I wish I could play Franz Ferdinand without ruining the mood, but I can't.

Just for the record: I am huge Queen fan. Sorry, I could not help myself.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  02:54:00  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have tons of the Basil Polidoris soundtracks...

Yeah, I love Queen for my games. Both my Star Wars game and my D&D game and my WOD game are all full of Queen, and other modern hits. But I will have to check out the Elizabeth Sdtk...

Her Arivia - what Clannad album do you suggest first?

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  12:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I love Queen for my games. Both my Star Wars game and my D&D game and my WOD game are all full of Queen, and other modern hits. But I will have to check out the Elizabeth Sdtk...

C-Fb

I don't know-I just looked up Clannad to determine Maire Brennan for you. I don't even know if I've heard their songs in my life!

Also, The Project Hate MCMXCIX might be worth a look too, although there are lyrics...they're just awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  16:47:47  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good... where exactly would one go to find a Project Hate MCMXCIX album? Online or is there a retail store that generally has them as well?

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  16:57:36  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

C-Fb

I don't know-I just looked up Clannad to determine Maire Brennan for you. I don't even know if I've heard their songs in my life!

For role-playing purposes I'd start with An Diolaim, and if you like that, you might want to check out a group called Capercaille as well.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  17:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, grab everything you can from here before it disappears, Dreams of Dying Stars especially. 20 minute long dark ambient pieces, excellent for planar excursions and such.

Regarding Project Hate: They're metal, and they might be a bit offensive to some of you. Go to www.theprojecthate.net(warning: swearing) and give some of the clips a try before you go looking for a place to buy their stuff from.(And Deadmarch: Initiation of Blasphemy is still available in their forums.) Godless, Loveless, Flawless is definitely worth the listen no matter what you're into.

Edited by - Arivia on 15 Oct 2005 18:01:12
Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  01:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the Bioware and Black Isle games for music. Baldur's Gate had a brilliant soundtrack, and Icewind Dale is also good. Neverwinter Nights is alright, but not half as good as the former.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  02:00:11  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where exactly did you pick up the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale Soundtracks? Those would be awesome to have!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  02:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cant you just put the game-disc in the cd player? It worked for me with the background music from doom... Excellent for creating a creepy mood.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  17:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're all on a certain website for use in makng mods, I believe. I found it at my parents a few months ago, and is currently saved on their favourites. I'll have to post the link this weekend, CrennenFaerieBane.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  17:48:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

Cant you just put the game-disc in the cd player? It worked for me with the background music from doom... Excellent for creating a creepy mood.

It really depends upon whether the game and music are individually spooled.

Nowadays, it's almost a given that PC game CDs can be used in a media player to listen to the soundtrack from the game. But in the days when Pentiums were still a dream and 386/486 DX machines were paving the way for what was then considered "ultimate" gaming, only the most advanced game CDs had the soundtrack stored in such a way so that it could also be played in a CD player.

Doom was one of the first as I recall...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  22:39:21  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I remember how stoked I was when I found that my Warcraft II game had the soundtrack on the same disc as the game as .wav files. You know I made a copy and it has since been in my CD changer with the gaming music.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  07:47:22  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too technical for me... But as we are at it... Can you recomend any cool soundtracks from movies that are good for RPG?

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  14:44:12  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord of the Rings, The Conan Soundtracks, Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Matrix Score, Mortal Kombat Score.

Those are a few I abide by.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  06:20:29  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The scores for the pc games? Can they be found as sound tracks? or do i have to by the games to pop them into my cd player? Otherwise it sounds like a great list i will have ti look into... Thank you CFB.

Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  17:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It took some searching through my vast favourites list, but behold:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~infinitum/index-music-bg1.php

It's got the soundtracks of both Baldur's Gate games, as well as both Icewind Dale games. I think it has Planescape:Torment, also, for any interested.

I only have to listen to the Baldur's Gate Main theme to think of the Realms. Perfect for any game, and dare I say, fun to listen to anytime.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  18:22:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

The scores for the pc games? Can they be found as sound tracks? or do i have to by the games to pop them into my cd player? Otherwise it sounds like a great list i will have ti look into... Thank you CFB.

I can't speak for PC games, but I know that some console games, particularly those originating in Japan, have separate soundtracks. I've somewhere got the soundtracks for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, and I know I've seen plenty of others.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  18:38:29  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I have the soundtracks for FFIV-FFX-2, Xenogears, Xenosaga I & II, and Legend of the Dragoon. Those Soundtracks rock for background music.

I also have Ruroni Kenshin, Lodoss War, Inuyasha which are all quite good as well.

I spend a lot of money on music.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  18:46:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also have Ruroni Kenshin, Lodoss War, Inuyasha which are all quite good as well.
That's true.

On a related note... the projected music score for a potential anime based on the Robotech: Shadow Chronicles looks interesting. Might be a bit future-tech for the Realms, but it could work with EBERRON I suppose -- in Sharn perhaps.

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Oct 2005 18:48:01
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  19:38:01  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robotech: Shadow Chronicles?

Oh jeez - I thought they gave up all Robotech named things and were just focusing on Macross.

Speaking of which - the Macross soundtracks (II, Plus, and Zero) are pretty good as well.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  19:55:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speaking of which - the Macross soundtracks (II, Plus, and Zero) are pretty good as well.

C-Fb

Yeah, but it's hard to work Information High into a Realms game.

(That's one of my all-time fave tunes, and the main reason I got the Sharon Apple Cream P*U*F CD.)

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  02:22:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Robotech: Shadow Chronicles?

Oh jeez - I thought they gave up all Robotech named things and were just focusing on Macross.
Well that series takes place around the return of Admiral Rick Hunter and the Expeditionary Force.

quote:

C-Fb

I prefer the soundtrack for Zero when I'm at my Realms gaming table. Some of the samples have a deep fantasy-like mystique running through them.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  03:20:44  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh! I didn't realize that was the name for that series. Never mind, they can so produce it. I love when they come back (I mean, if they stick to the books). I really liked the REF... some great concepts in there, not too sure about the execution, but hey, good mechs.

C-Fb

Sorry, I know that was off-topic.

Go to Top of Page

Antareana
Seeker

Germany
59 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2005 :  21:59:50  Show Profile  Visit Antareana's Homepage Send Antareana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of styles that work well... just don't ever try to use Reggae, since for some reason the concentration and flavour goes down
Our campaigns work well with melodic Metal (but don't play it louder than your voices are) and with Apocalyptica. Overall it makes a wonderful "heroic" atmosphere

If I was to decide, I would choose more classical tracks like Mozart, Beethoven or Mahler since they seem more "authentic" (even if they are not medieval at all) or Soundtracks like the last Unicorn, Pirates of the Caribbean, Mononoke Hime, the Vision of Escaflowne, the Lion King, Lord of the Rings or Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VIII or VII or VI might work as well, but I just can't imagine how X-2 should suit D&D ^^

It is all just a past and future secret

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000