Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spelljamming
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  17:07:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of elemental planes...

In D&D, there's just the four elemental planes. But, if you look at the periodic table of elements, there's what, 116 elements? So where's the corresponding planes?

I want to be able to open a portal to the elemental plane of Cesium. I want to be able to go to the elemental plane of Argon. And I want to know what the abilities and stats of a Mendelevium elemental are!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  17:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! Get your science out of my mysticism! Bad hamster! That goes in the litter box!

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  17:50:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

Hey! Get your science out of my mysticism! Bad hamster! That goes in the litter box!

Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  18:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know where I wouldn't want to go:

The Elemental Plane of Plutonium

(Every hour there, roll 1d%. On a result of a one, a nuclear explosion occurs 1d20 miles from the PCs)

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  18:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Dragonstar by Fantasy Flight anything like Spelljammer? I remember thumbing through a friends book, and it seemed kinda similar, but I didn't delve too deeply into it. I know its uses the d20 system.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  20:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

In D&D, there's just the four elemental planes. But, if you look at the periodic table of elements, there's what, 116 elements? So where's the corresponding planes?

I want to be able to open a portal to the elemental plane of Cesium. I want to be able to go to the elemental plane of Argon. And I want to know what the abilities and stats of a Mendelevium elemental are!

Why? We already have the Elemental Plane of 12 Y.O. Scotch.

"He drowned to death."

"But why's he smiling."

"I see you've never been attacked by a Greater Scotch Elemental, have you?"

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  23:12:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Is Dragonstar by Fantasy Flight anything like Spelljammer? I remember thumbing through a friends book, and it seemed kinda similar, but I didn't delve too deeply into it. I know its uses the d20 system.

Not really... Dragonstar is more sci-fi applied to a fantasy setting. It keeps to real-world rules better than Spelljammer (infinite space, no crystal spheres, being unprotected in the vacuum of space is bad, etc), but it's still got a lot of fantasy stuff: magic, elves, humans, deities, dragons.

It's basically fantasy with the best elements of sci-fi thrown in on top. You can have your elven swordsman find an use a laser gun, then hop a spaceship, activate its starcaster, and teleport halfway across the galaxy -- where you then encounter a dragon.

Spelljammer, on the other hand, did incorporate space travel, but still kept it all based on fantasy.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Jul 2005 23:15:00
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  23:45:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well they thing is, they are based on the greek elements of earth, air, fire, and water. :) SOOOOO there wouldn't be elements for the periodic table.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  02:36:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Well they thing is, they are based on the greek elements of earth, air, fire, and water. :) SOOOOO there wouldn't be elements for the periodic table.

Indeed. And the para-elemental planes are merely combinations of the prime four elements. The application of either the positive or negative energy planes to a particular prime element generate the quasi-planes.

Although, if you start borrowing ideas from the 'Urban Planescape Project', then Wooly's assumption about elemental planes being based on the Periodic Table of the Elements becomes a reality.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  02:45:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

I seem to be having a horrible problem with Italics tags today.

Out of curiosity, what is it about planescape that you find interesting, what aspects of it do you see that I don't? sell me on it :p

Do you have several hours? Because that's how long it'll take me to discuss my love of PS.

quote:
Wooly already covered the basic details, so I won't bother.

However I will add that, if the setting had been progressively supported by FFG from the very beginning, the underlyinf fantasy-space elements running through the background of the setting of Dragonstar could have one day seen it occupy the place that SJ once held.

On a side note though, you may want to check out Aether & Flux from Darkfuries Press:- http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10117.phtml

It's not d20 SJ, but it does present a rather unique take on fantasy-space adventures.

I'll go into some basic concepts. Space in general is referred to as the Traverse. Within the Traverse is the Aether, which comes across to me as "solar wind". Aether seems to be everywhere, although it is thinner in some places and thicker in others. Normally, you can't see the Aether, save for the area surrounding solar systems. This is called the Pale Aether, or the Pale for short. The Aether is what propels a ship.

Two things influence the Aether in order to have it propel ships. The first is arcane magic. Note that divine magic does not power ships. The second is something called the Flux, which is similar to lightning. It's artificially created, and is a non-spellcasting alternative to arcane space travel. I think the alternative is nice, although I find it a bit hokey that the Flux and Arcane energies affect the Aether in the same way.

Ships - There is a limited selection of ships, but the good part is that they have the look of classic Spelljammer vessels. Being in B&W is a minus, although it is good to have some new designs. Nothing that really stands out, though.

Races - Basically, PHB races and a monster race called the Ravin. They're an insectoid race, and are described as being similar to ticks. I was disappointed that they didn't have a bunch of new races.

Classes and Prestige Classes - Zero. Unlike reading through most tomes from 3rd party publishers, this was a HUGE disappointment for me. I was hoping for some setting-specific PrCs, such as stellar mariners, Ravin hunters, etc. It just seems like such a shame to allow such great detail to go unused.

Feats - There are a few, although they're relatively unremarkable.

There is a section I haven't had time to tackle yet about 3 eras of space travel. The concept is one I could see applying to a SJ setting.

Aether and Flux certainly isn't a replacement for Spelljammer by any means. However, one might be able to use it as an additional resource.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  03:52:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Indeed. And the para-elemental planes are merely combinations of the prime four elements. The application of either the positive or negative energy planes to a particular prime element generate the quasi-planes.

Although, if you start borrowing ideas from the 'Urban Planescape Project', then Wooly's assumption about elemental planes being based on the Periodic Table of the Elements becomes a reality.

I knew that they were going with the classic concept of elements. 'Twas just a fun thought that occurred to me recently, and I'd been waiting for a chance to use it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  03:56:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly already covered the basic details, so I won't bother.

However I will add that, if the setting had been progressively supported by FFG from the very beginning, the underlyinf fantasy-space elements running through the background of the setting of Dragonstar could have one day seen it occupy the place that SJ once held.

'Tis true. Though I had a couple of problems with the basic set-up, I thought the setting had a lot of potential. It could have been a lot more than it became.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  21:52:53  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another reference to Spelljammer not being dead in 3e is in the Book of Aberrations. Both the Neogi section (heavy SJ) and the Mind Flayer section refer to not only the possibility of SJ, but to the fact that that is how the Neogi get around.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  22:53:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Another reference to Spelljammer not being dead in 3e is in the Book of Aberrations. Both the Neogi section (heavy SJ) and the Mind Flayer section refer to not only the possibility of SJ, but to the fact that that is how the Neogi get around.

C-Fb

The neogi section is rather disappointing in reference to Spelljammer, though... They took the most reviled race in known space and made them seem to be nothing more than just another monstrous race of groundlings. Sure, they mentioned the deathspiders and sailing the skies, but only in passing. I felt that it glossed over the neogi's extraterrestrial origins; why mention such a thing in a fantasy setting and then not explore it?

Further, if they do have these ships for sailing the sky, why are they wandering around on the ground?

I was hoping for more than just an obligatory and cursory nod to the Spelljammer setting.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  00:03:31  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree Wooly... My fiance (only 9 days until my wife) loves SJ and got me all involved in it. I have spent many a campaign in the Phlogiston for all its worth and I agree with you about the Neogi. They have been the bane of many of my characters' existance. And let's be serious, the Deathspiders are cool.

Oh well, SJ will always be around in our hearts!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  01:45:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

C-Fb

The neogi section is rather disappointing in reference to Spelljammer, though... They took the most reviled race in known space and made them seem to be nothing more than just another monstrous race of groundlings. Sure, they mentioned the deathspiders and sailing the skies, but only in passing. I felt that it glossed over the neogi's extraterrestrial origins; why mention such a thing in a fantasy setting and then not explore it?
That's true. I was disappointed with the way the neogi were presented in LoM myself... although I think I've already stated that.

Anyway, the completely "alien" nature of the neogi was stripped away in order to make them something that they should really be not -- and that is, a generic race.

The neogi in SJ always represented that "vile and strange alien race from beyond the stars" theme... and that was what made them special. Most of that theme doesn't even hold true for the way the neogi were presented in LoM.

quote:
Further, if they do have these ships for sailing the sky, why are they wandering around on the ground?
Indeed. The neogi forged their slave empire among the stars, and that is where they belong.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  06:02:33  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

Under no circumstances should one buy The Astromundi Cluster (the fourth and final boxed set, and in my opinion, the death of the setting) or SJR7 Krynnspace (it has horrible stuff in there, and the author clearly had no familiarity with Dragonlance).

I have to laugh, I went back and looked it up. That was Jean Rabe that wrote that, the driving force behind the fifth age books, and the only Realms author to give a naga arms!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  06:14:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Under no circumstances should one buy The Astromundi Cluster (the fourth and final boxed set, and in my opinion, the death of the setting) or SJR7 Krynnspace (it has horrible stuff in there, and the author clearly had no familiarity with Dragonlance).
I have to disagree with that. Jean Rabe has had extensive connections with DL for many years, even before the dawning of the SJ setting.

While there were problems with the sourcebook itself with regard to Krynnish lore, there were also parts that worked well with the changes that were occuring on Krynn at the time the sourcebook was written.

quote:
I have to laugh, I went back and looked it up. That was Jean Rabe that wrote that, the driving force behind the fifth age books...
Yes, that is true. However, are you suggesting that there was something wrong with the early Fifth Age novels for DL?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  11:35:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I have to disagree with that. Jean Rabe has had extensive connections with DL for many years, even before the dawning of the SJ setting.

While there were problems with the sourcebook itself with regard to Krynnish lore, there were also parts that worked well with the changes that were occuring on Krynn at the time the sourcebook was written.

I don't know... The part about the gods using the planets as scrying devices was ridiculous. And the statement that Krynn's moons are always equidistant ignores a major part of Krynnish lore.

Lastly, what the hey was she on when she created Little Biggnome?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Jul 2005 11:36:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  14:07:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know... The part about the gods using the planets as scrying devices was ridiculous. And the statement that Krynn's moons are always equidistant ignores a major part of Krynnish lore.

Oh well, I'll agree with those.

Although, the "planets as scrying devices" aspect was actually relevant to a particular series of short stories published in two anthology collections. It should be noted however that Tracy Hickman said several years later that that particular plot aspect was "an aberration".

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Jul 2005 14:12:47
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  14:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not really... Dragonstar is more sci-fi applied to a fantasy setting. It keeps to real-world rules better than Spelljammer (infinite space, no crystal spheres, being unprotected in the vacuum of space is bad, etc), but it's still got a lot of fantasy stuff: magic, elves, humans, deities, dragons.

It's basically fantasy with the best elements of sci-fi thrown in on top. You can have your elven swordsman find an use a laser gun, then hop a spaceship, activate its starcaster, and teleport halfway across the galaxy -- where you then encounter a dragon.

Spelljammer, on the other hand, did incorporate space travel, but still kept it all based on fantasy.

I see, thanks Wooly. I just vaguely remember Spelljammer, we never got into it. It sounds fun though.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  16:52:13  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I ignored Spelljammer in the days of 2E because I was suspicious of its implications. Eventually a spelljamming ship was bound to come across a technologically advanced civilization, which might be malevolent. What are Realmspace's protections against heavy blast machineguns, planetcracking bombs, and lasersword- (not lightsaber!) wielding psionic knights? For that matter, now that Call of Cthulhu is in D20 format, what are its protections against Great Old Ones and Greater Independent Races which can simply fly through space?

In my own campaign world I turned the question on its head by making the technologically advanced worlds unable to resist magic users who have taken to space. (How do you stop an enemy who can Teleport to your ship's bridge and then hurl Lightning at your ship's controls or strike its computer core from the Ethereal Plane?) That works only against centrally organized societies which are vulnerable to surgical strikes, or against those who discover a magical world with hostile intent. (Conquest becomes cost ineffective when the magical society sends a herald to the tech planet with significant bits of the attack flagship and informs the would-be conquerors that there's even more grief coming their way if they don't back off.) An attacker who can send waves of space fighter ships to carpet bomb the magical world would have a definite edge, though. How do magical +1 ballista bolts match up against a ship's force screen with 700 hit points? Not well, not well ... at ... all!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  17:20:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Although, the "planets as scrying devices" aspect was actually relevant to a particular series of short stories published in two anthology collections. It should be noted however that Tracy Hickman said several years later that that particular plot aspect was "an aberration".

See, that's one thing that always bugged me about that setting. The short stories often don't have a thing to do with canon. And even in canon, there are still problems...

An example of each:

The short story "Hearth Cat, Winter Wren" (I think that was the name). Raistlin casts about 4 or 5 polymorph spells. But, this is before the Chronicles, when casting 2nd and 3rd level spells would wear him out!

In the Chronicles trilogy, it mentions that the Hammer of Kharas was needed to forge the first dragonlances, some 3000 years before during the Third Dragonwar. Yet we are told in the Legends trilogy that Kharas -- who lived after the Cataclym (possibly during; his age is never stated), forged the Hammer himself at Reorx's forge. So how'd he forge a hammer himself if it was used 3000 years before?

This kind of thing -- people not talking to each other or examining existing lore -- happens a lot in Dragginglance. And the Krynnspace supplement simply mirrored that trend.

Oh, I think a planet was missing, too. If I remember correctly, the Adventures in Arcane Space boxed set mentioned a planet called Shinare in Krynnspace. But the Krynnspace supplement doesn't say a word about this planet.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  18:07:52  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

See, that's one thing that always bugged me about that setting. The short stories often don't have a thing to do with canon. And even in canon, there are still problems...

An example of each:

The short story "Hearth Cat, Winter Wren" (I think that was the name). Raistlin casts about 4 or 5 polymorph spells. But, this is before the Chronicles, when casting 2nd and 3rd level spells would wear him out!

In the Chronicles trilogy, it mentions that the Hammer of Kharas was needed to forge the first dragonlances, some 3000 years before during the Third Dragonwar. Yet we are told in the Legends trilogy that Kharas -- who lived after the Cataclym (possibly during; his age is never stated), forged the Hammer himself at Reorx's forge. So how'd he forge a hammer himself if it was used 3000 years before?

This kind of thing -- people not talking to each other or examining existing lore -- happens a lot in Dragginglance. And the Krynnspace supplement simply mirrored that trend.

Oh, I think a planet was missing, too. If I remember correctly, the Adventures in Arcane Space boxed set mentioned a planet called Shinare in Krynnspace. But the Krynnspace supplement doesn't say a word about this planet.

That's why I bought every supplement other than Greyspace, Realmspace and Krynnspace... I didn't want Spelljammer to ever touch the other worlds... it served to stymie creativeness.

My fiance and I have developed several crystal spheres with their own pantheons and worlds and schisms. I hate having environments all spelled out for me when the campaign is supposed to be limitless. Faerun is wonderful because it is one continent, but many adventure possiblities... but SJ turning to the standing campaign worlds just irked me. Oh well, rant over.

C-Fb

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  18:26:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertOh, I think a planet was missing, too. If I remember correctly, the Adventures in Arcane Space boxed set mentioned a planet called Shinare in Krynnspace. But the Krynnspace supplement doesn't say a word about this planet.

They made it a moon of Zivilyn, so it is mentioned as a moon in Krynnspace. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  19:12:03  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't have the Krynnspace supplement, but, based solely on this reference, I think the idea of deities using a planet to scry is "easier to believe" (given our knowledge of magical technologies) than believing that their hearing is so good that they can hear grass growing ten miles away or their mental prowess so vast that they can hear all of the conversations on a planet but filter out everything which doesn't include their names or a mention of their portfolio.

(An aside: if you are orchestrating a conspiracy against a god but don't mention the deity's name, is the deity ignorant of the plot?)

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  20:12:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some months ago I asked a trivia question of a friend: The name of what real-world person, place or thing has contributed the greatest number of names for chemical elements? (Answer below.)

Answer: Ytterby, Sweden -- ytterbium, terbium, erbium, and yttrium. A fifth, gadolinium, is named for Professor Johan Gadolin, who discovered it in a rock sample from Ytterby. (http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Ytterby.html) If there are planes for each chemical element, what an amazing planar node this town must be!

I mention this by way of referencing the anthology Leviathan 4: Cities, in one of whose stories there is a sub-section entitled "Ytterbium." Some of the stories in the book will appeal to many sages, I think, specifically that one, Catherine Kasper's Encyclopedia of Ubar..

Apropos of kuje's (?) comment that the elemental planes are for the four Classical elements, I would point out that Classical China recognized five elements: water, earth, fire, metal, and wood. (See http://www.friesian.com/elements.htm for details. Go "up" to see a lot of fascinating stuff, including links to histories and dynastic tables for most major Eurasian countries.) Given that Kara-Tur is modeled after China, do mages from there recognize four or five elements, and if five, do they have access to five elemental planes, or four? If five, how do they explain the elemental plane of air? Also, if five, are "their" planes of wood and metal "real" planes, or places on the Prime which may be reached via spelljamming?

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 09 Jul 2005 04:56:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  23:49:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertOh, I think a planet was missing, too. If I remember correctly, the Adventures in Arcane Space boxed set mentioned a planet called Shinare in Krynnspace. But the Krynnspace supplement doesn't say a word about this planet.

They made it a moon of Zivilyn, so it is mentioned as a moon in Krynnspace. :)

Well, it's still ignoring something that came before.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  23:57:56  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, no matter what, after work tonight, I am going to hope in my Smalljammer, make myself appear as a frothy mug of ale and cruise the stars trying to lure star dragons and draycon and even the neogi out there out so we could all get a beer and play some pool. Cuz that's what you do when you are a smalljammer!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  00:02:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I don't have the Krynnspace supplement, but, based solely on this reference, I think the idea of deities using a planet to scry is "easier to believe" (given our knowledge of magical technologies) than believing that their hearing is so good that they can hear grass growing ten miles away or their mental prowess so vast that they can hear all of the conversations on a planet but filter out everything which doesn't include their names or a mention of their portfolio.

(An aside: if you are orchestrating a conspiracy against a god but don't mention the deity's name, is the deity ignorant of the plot?)

I could believe them using a regular or maybe even a specialized version of a scrying device long before I could imagine a planet being used as a scrying device. For that matter, I could imagine specialized scrying spells being employed, instead of a planet.

I mean, c'mon. It's a planet. It's a large rock composed of several elements, and it's hundreds or thousands of miles in diameter. And yet a deity is going to use it as a crystal ball or a wizard eye?

For example, Chislev, the planet, is named for Chislev the god. He has an avatar that retreats to the center of the planet to use it as a wizard eye. Not only is that a ridiculous concept, but it ignores how the wizard eye spell operates.

I'm sorry, but there is no way I can think this plausible.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000