Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 From whence came Azalin?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  17:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Lord Soth came to Ravenloft from Krynn; Vecna came from Oerth. Has it been determined from whence came Azalin (not his real name)? Might he have been from Toril, a world little represented in Ravenloft?

This has been solved. There are a lot of spoilers throughout this scroll.

Caveat lector!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 09 Jul 2005 22:15:35

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  18:53:14  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember that he originally came from Oerth, and that the module 'From the Shadows' gives a good description of his history and background.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  20:42:01  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SOLVED! Spoilers below!

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Lord Soth came to Ravenloft from Krynn; Vecna came from Oerth. Has it been determined from whence came Azalin (not his real name)? Might he have been from Toril, a world little represented in Ravenloft?

Thank you. That is a Ravenloft Grand Conjunction module available as a free download from Wizards. I just read it. It states explicitly that Azalin is a Greyhawk character.

Castle Avernus has Old Oeridian inscriptions and there are references to various Greyhawk "monsters" in the module.

Azalin's real surname is Zal’honan. ("Azalin" means, roughly, "Witch-King" in what I presume is Old Oeridian.) Does that name crop up in non-Ravenloft Greyhawk materials? Where were/are Castle Avernus, Karg, Il Aluk, and/or Darkon in Oerth? Are they mention in non-Ravenloft Greyhawk materials?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  20:57:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's quite a few people from FR that ended up in Ravenloft though.

Jandar Sunstar
A red wizard
Some who brought Lathander's teaching there.
The tie-in adventure for Castle Spulzeer.
And others. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  21:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Jandar Sunstar
A red wizard

Thanks, kuje. I'm reading Vampire in the Mists (Jander's story) now. I had forgotten Castle Spulzeer; for the interested, that is/was in Tethyr, if I recall correctly, or else Amn.

I don't know about the Red Wizard nor the Lathandrite prophet. I only have the basic book and the first Van Richten's Arsenal for 3E Ravenloft.

I think that the spell-blasted lands of Toril would make a good source for Ravenloft domains. Certainly many Imaskari and Netherese wizards had the obsessive drive that the Mists enjoy toying with. (If one may ascribe such a human emotion to the Mists!) Time and space seem to be no obstacle to the Mists; the domains there are a jumble of different times and places. Some ancient Torilian realm may pop up there in Ravenloft's present without any twisting of the "rules" by which the Mists seem to operate.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  21:36:30  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jandar Sunstar
A red wizard

Don't forget Gondegal, Kuje

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  22:12:59  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Jandar Sunstar
A red wizard

Oh! Where's he at? Which book deals with him in Ravenloft? He's stuck there now, isn't he? (Or she or it ... whatever.)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  22:48:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Jandar Sunstar
A red wizard

Thanks, kuje. I'm reading Vampire in the Mists (Jander's story) now. I had forgotten Castle Spulzeer; for the interested, that is/was in Tethyr, if I recall correctly, or else Amn.

I don't know about the Red Wizard nor the Lathandrite prophet. I only have the basic book and the first Van Richten's Arsenal for 3E Ravenloft.

I think that the spell-blasted lands of Toril would make a good source for Ravenloft domains. Certainly many Imaskari and Netherese wizards had the obsessive drive that the Mists enjoy toying with. (If one may ascribe such a human emotion to the Mists!) Time and space seem to be no obstacle to the Mists; the domains there are a jumble of different times and places. Some ancient Torilian realm may pop up there in Ravenloft's present without any twisting of the "rules" by which the Mists seem to operate.

You'll see how Lathander's teachings reached Ravenloft in that novel.

The Red Wizard's name is Hazlan or Hazlik; I don't recall which.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  22:50:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Jandar Sunstar
A red wizard

Oh! Where's he at? Which book deals with him in Ravenloft? He's stuck there now, isn't he? (Or she or it ... whatever.)

To the best of my knowledge, Gondegal has never really been featured in a Ravenloft novel. The original boxed set placed him there; I believe he's the leader of a mercenary army.

The Mists grabbed him when he was fleeing Arabel.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  23:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You'll see how Lathander's teachings reached Ravenloft in that novel.

The Red Wizard's name is Hazlan or Hazlik; I don't recall which.

Thank you, too! Hazlik rules Hazlan. He has opened one of the few magic academies in the Demi-Plane. The population is Rashemi and Mulan, but the 3E Campaign Setting (pp. 121-123) doesn't identify him as a Red Wizard; one of the the 2E boxed sets or one of the (too) many 3E regional books probably gives Hazlik's and Hazlan's history. Hazlak may fit my thinking that the Raurin was/is a good source for a Ravenloft domain; I shall have to investigate it further. It would provide some wicked plot hooks to snare PCs who delve too deeply into sabotaged Imaskari ruins or tinker one time too many with an Imaskari relic!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  04:18:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since many here know of my great love for Ravenloft, you all probably knew I was going to have something more to add to this scroll... .

quote:

Jandar Sunstar
A red wizard

As Kuje said, there are many people from the Realms now in RL. Here's a more complete listing of people and places from the Realms who are now in the Dread Realms:-

Draga Saltbitter – was a pirate in the Sword Coast
Chardath Spulzeeer – from area south of Waterdeep (see: Castle Spulzeeer)
Gondegal – conqueror of Arabel and Knight of the Shadows
Harkon Lukas – grew up in Cormyr, now in Kartakass
Hazlik – Red Wizard from Thay
Jander Sunstar
Salizarr the Meazel – lived under Cormyr’s catacombs now in Necropolis
Nova Vassa – from Vaasa and Hordelands
Von Kharkov – Lord of Valachan
Domain of I'Cath - originally from Kara-Tur
Jahed of the Stalkers (see: MCII)
Mayonaka (see: MCII)

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Jul 2005 04:34:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  04:23:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think that the spell-blasted lands of Toril would make a good source for Ravenloft domains. Certainly many Imaskari and Netherese wizards had the obsessive drive that the Mists enjoy toying with. (If one may ascribe such a human emotion to the Mists!) Time and space seem to be no obstacle to the Mists; the domains there are a jumble of different times and places.
I like theorising about the Mists.

Here's some official info -

At the edge of any land not directly bordered by another land the Mists rise up. A pale whiteness so thick it is almost impossible to see through. The misty borders of domains are nebulous boundaries stretching back and forth, sometimes moving inward by miles and other times pulling back revealing previously obscured features. Legends speak of people who have walked into Mists only to find themselves moved elsewhere, emerging dozens miles from where they entered or even in a different time. Rarer still are the rumours of people being moved out of the Dread Realms, but this is so rare it is almost unheard of.

Essentially the Mists of Ravenloft, like the Dark Powers, are a DM's tool and complete subject to their whims. They can be as mysterious or real as the story dictates. In some distant and faraway lands the Mists take on other appearances appearing as thick blizzards, blistering sandstorms or flickering waves of heat.

quote:
Some ancient Torilian realm may pop up there in Ravenloft's present without any twisting of the "rules" by which the Mists seem to operate.
Only during the days of 2e. There are now no *official* connections between the Dread Realms and Toril.

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Jul 2005 04:35:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  04:30:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

To the best of my knowledge, Gondegal has never really been featured in a Ravenloft novel. The original boxed set placed him there; I believe he's the leader of a mercenary army.
Gondegal was mentioned, by name only, in one of the novels featuring Tristen Hiregaard.

He's also detailed and stat'd in one of the 3e Gazetteers.

quote:
The population is Rashemi and Mulan, but the 3E Campaign Setting (pp. 121-123) doesn't identify him as a Red Wizard; one of the the 2E boxed sets or one of the (too) many 3E regional books probably gives Hazlik's and Hazlan's history.
The 3e setting for RL now longer dwells on the Demiplane's past connections with official TSR/WotC worlds. So while Hazlik was traditionally a Red Wizard in 2e RL, he's now essentially the same thing, but without the title of "Red Wizard" and no specific details regarding his time in Thay are recorded. We have to work with what we were given in 2e if we still wish to maintain the older connections between the settings.

Hazlan and Hazlik are both detailed in the Gazetteers. Hazlik is also stat'd in the Secrets of the Dread Realms supplement.

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Jul 2005 04:37:36
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  00:33:51  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there a adventure in DUNGEON magazine that dealt with Von Kharkov???

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  01:21:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Wasn't there a adventure in DUNGEON magazine that dealt with Von Kharkov???

Dungeon #50 (1994) - 'Felkovic's Cat'.

This was a spectacular module, not only because of the adventure. The article was nearly 22 pages in length and covered many aspects of the domain featured in the adventure.

I've never ran the adventure myself, but it's a great read with plenty of RL lore on Valachan.

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Jul 2005 01:23:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000