Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Cross-Over Adventures
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  20:43:44  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How many people have DM'ed or played in a cross-over adventure.

Amongst others, I've used adventures from Ravenloft (The Ship of Horrors) and Planescape (Tales From the Infinite Staircase) with my party and they've always been well received. As a DM, I've found them very good for brining the party back down to earth when they're getting a little over-confident.

How do others feel about these kind of sessions.

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2002 :  08:50:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Id be interested to hear any views on the FR-RL crossover adventures: Castle Spulzeer and The Forgotten Terror. I have both of these modules but havent played or DM'd them yet as was wondering how good\bad it is.

Thanks

Rad

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2002 :  18:56:03  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are both excellent, BUT like most Ravenloft stuff it depends on the people taking part.

The blood golem scared one of my players like you wouldn't believe, she didn't sleep that night - it helped that we like to play Ravenloft by candlelight

My son's bard has had a fear of blood ever since doing this adventure, a PC that's scared of blood makes for some interesting sessions.

My only advice is to make sure you use all of the psychology tests in Ravenloft (Fear, terror and horror checks) it loses quite a lot if you don't.
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2003 :  03:27:53  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You want crossovers? How about this, I have a 1st edition character (those of you who know me know who it is..)who has been to the following dimensions/campaigns/realities...

Greyhawk
Forgotten Realms
Star Trek
Marvel
Top Secret
and probably a few others that I cant remember right now.

The really funny part is that in the Star Trek universe they kept calling him a Vulcan. Let's hear it for Probability Travel and the Book of Infinite Planes!

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2003 :  04:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My party has crossed over heavily in the past, especially considering I originally played in Greyhawk, and during 2e I switched to mainly Realms. I have also played a lot in Planscape in the past, and I admit I really love the Cage. I have also played in Dragonlance and Ravenloft at times, but not as heavily as the Realms or Greyhawk. Mainly my travels in Ravenloft and Dragonlance were resulting from PLanewalking to those Crystal Spheres from Oerth or Toril. I did play once or twice in Birthright and Mystara, but I never really became a fan of those settings. I am an Oerth man at heart.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2003 :  06:56:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I outlined a brief biography of the adventures of the Sage of Perth - Rastromo Meradoc - back when I first came to Candlekeep last September. The adventures the Sage has had, have seen him go from Faerun (FR), to Ansalon (Dragonlance), to Sigil (Planescape), to Nova Vaasa (Ravenloft), to the Rock of Bral (SpellJammer), and many other exotic locales and alternate material planes. As well as this I have also had the Sage travel backwards and forwards across the Temporal Prime (Chronomancer Accessory).

As for campaigns, I finished a campaign adventure series back in January that took the party from Waterdeep, to Sigil, and then onto the Outlands, where they were imprisoned for a time by a fallen deva who sought to exact some punishment from the lowly primes who had crossed her (the PC's being the nearest primes to her when her angered flared). After fleeing the fallen deva, the party journeyed to through a few gate-towns, assisting in the prevention of a militia incursion by the gate-town of Rigus into several lawful(?) gate-towns. From here the adventures crossed several other planes before heading back to Faerun in time to complete their mission, which I forget at present.

As well as this, in some of my past campaigns, I have involved a cross-over between the Domains of Dread, and the Underdark of Faerun, a world of floating aerial cities (a homebrew campaign), and Greyhawk, in fact nearly every published TSR/WotC setting has crossed-over or been used in several of my campaigns in some manner at some time. The only setting I have never used has been the world of Athas, the Dark Sun world. I have never really had an adventure idea for a journey to the World of Dust and Sun.

Anyway that's just a few thoughts I thought() I'd share here,

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2003 :  19:29:34  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My party went to Ravenloft and they met Stradh. I involved them in the Cataclysm and the end of Il Aluk
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2003 :  22:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, thank you Sage, that reminds me. I have also had an adventure or two in the Dark Sun world, although the appearance of Edain Shadowstar there was rather on the brief side. As for the Temporal Plane...Chronomancy was messed up in my cmapaign for a while, and I've only just recently 'straightened' it out.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  01:07:18  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I write my campaign with a perspective on the LARGE multiverse. MY FR characters (or my PC's Characters) have had run ins with Conan and Elric. Arioch the god of Chaos actually transported Elric to the realms, but my chief NPC villain (an assassin named Quietus) stole Stormbringer from him. This eventually caused the ruin of Yhaunn. With Conan the party had to actually get a dagger from him that worked into a very large artifact. I love crossovers. In my FR campaign I have an aspect of the Eternal Champion, and occasionally Tanelorn appears.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

ShadowPavement
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  13:36:40  Show Profile  Visit ShadowPavement's Homepage Send ShadowPavement a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan on taking my PC's into the Dragonstar world when we're done with our current campaign. (alien abduction anyone hee hee). I'm just waiting to see the look on the ork barbarian's face when he thinks that he can take out the bad guys with his +2 intelegent greatsword and then realizes that the dragon-man looking guys they are fighting have plasma rifles and power armor ;-)

Some people would complain if you hanged them with a brand new rope.
-Hanibal Smith
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  14:06:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ShadowPavement said -
quote:
I plan on taking my PC's into the Dragonstar world when we're done with our current campaign. (alien abduction anyone hee hee). I'm just waiting to see the look on the ork barbarian's face when he thinks that he can take out the bad guys with his +2 intelegent greatsword and then realizes that the dragon-man looking guys they are fighting have plasma rifles and power armor ;-)
That sounds like fun. I had thought about taking my PC's into the Dragonstar world several months ago. I am still working on the idea, trying to bridge the gap between the two very different cultures. I would be interested in hearing a little more about these adventures, if you care to tell them.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  05:09:57  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My group is in the third stage of a multiple crossover campaign. They started out on Toril, then they went to Ravenloft, where they fought and killed Strahd, and reclaimed an Arcane spell list that enables the Archmage to create gates. (The only problem is that he isn't high enough level to control where they go yet, so it's like a fantasy version of 'Sliders'. Hee hee! Until Lazerrus gets high enough level to be able to control the gates, I can pick and choose where they'll end up! Perfect for creating open ended adventures.)
From there the gate took them to their present location... Athas, or Dark Sun. These guys are having a great time dealing with the blistering heat and exhaustion, the new powers of Psionics (of which none of them have defenses for ), the hatred and distrust of arcane magic, the sorcerer kings and their templars, killer plants and bugs, big ass bug people (Thri-Kreen), etc, etc.

They say they don't like it here and they want to go home now.
Ahhhhhh. I feel I have done my job as a GM. There's nothing like seeing the 8 1/2 foot half-orc fighter jump at sight of a cactus or sand beetle!

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  10:16:34  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't you too much cross over kill it?
After changing two times, it's just going in an other country in Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  11:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know . .. it sounds like Yasraena's campain logs would make for very entertaining reading.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  18:41:39  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

After an intellectual endeavor when I wrote a paper for my ex-girlfriend's medieval history class (yes yes I know it is terrible, but I used to write ALL of her histroy and science papers; got good grades on them as well:). Well anyway I wrote this particular paper on the Norman Conquest of 1066. I did LOTS of research, for the paper, and I actually decided to see if I could get anymore insight by running and alternate earth history adventure. Basically the PC's portaled to the south of England near Sandwich and met some THANES of Harold the Bastard. Basically the adventure was at first political with Duke William and King Harold both trying to gain these VERY powerful allies. The party's paladin (essentially the leader) was WAY more impressed with the Duke, and the Battle of Hastings commenced on Serenac hill, with the party's rogue killing Harold. It was silly, but it was also period. I wish I could of seen Duke William's face when he saw... FULL PLATE ARMOUR!!!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  20:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That was my initial fear as well, zemd. The trick, I've found out, is to make the new place they arive in as different and unique as possible. The party being in Ravenloft, or now on Athas have made that task very easy so far because they are both very different places from Faerun. If they survive this next game and they get to their next destination (which is Greyhawk) it's going to be a little harder because both are almost the same in almost everything, except their respective deities.

Bookwyrm - yeah, the logs do make for some interesting reading. Between all of us in the group, we've got logs that go back to the very beginning of the campaign, almost 7 years ago. I've got to find the time to get them all and put them in chronological order and just read through them all at once.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  22:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yasraena, drop me a line if you get something good you'd like to share. I love a good story.

In the same vein -- Mournblade, you happen to have a copy of the logs for that adventure on a file someplace? It sounds delightful!

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  02:50:19  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Yasraena, drop me a line if you get something good you'd like to share. I love a good story.

In the same vein -- Mournblade, you happen to have a copy of the logs for that adventure on a file someplace? It sounds delightful!

Unfortunately my friend, this campaign was done about 6 years ago BEFORE I had a reliable computer of my own. I have it in a notebook (ummm the PAPER kind... Remember those?), I just have to check my storage tub. It would take me a WHIEL to get it on disk, but also, most of my old campaign logs are quick notes, and scratch sketches of bettle records. I loved that adventure though. I SHOUL really try to write a short story about it. I guess maybe I shall have to read Howarth's "1066" again...

Edited by - Mournblade on 25 May 2003 02:51:22
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  03:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm . . . paper . . . they still use that?

By the way, what's '1066'?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  07:07:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm said -
quote:
By the way, what's '1066'?
1066: The Year of the Conquest by David Howarth. Click here for details, and reviews.

It's a great reference material, which I refer to semi-regularly for all things Norman.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  07:11:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, back on topic,

I had used the cross-over FR/PS adventure For Duty and Deity as part of my Planescape campaign when I ran the Tales from the Infinite Staircase adventure anthology, so I guess that counts as a cross-over adventure across different settings.

Edited by - The Sage on 25 May 2003 07:12:51
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  09:15:55  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

quote:

That was my initial fear as well, zemd. The trick, I've found out, is to make the new place they arive in as different and unique as possible. The party being in Ravenloft, or now on Athas have made that task very easy so far because they are both very different places from Faerun. If they survive this next game and they get to their next destination (which is Greyhawk) it's going to be a little harder because both are almost the same in almost everything, except their respective deities.

How do you deal with the divine spellcasters? Since most of the deities aren't powerful enough to be in more than one plane?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  15:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes. That's a very good point. I can only think of a few Toril deities that also exist elsewhere. Mostly from the elven and drow pantheons. I assume that the characters wouldn't have been from only those religions.

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  04:21:49  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny you guys should mention that.

In Ravenloft, all contact with your respective deity is cut off. Period. That didn't go well with the channeling(divine) spell casters. They could never figure out why they couldn't contact their god and regain their power points. This was more of an inconvenience for the Archmage, who could cast in all three realms of magic, but to the cleric it was crippling. He never regained any power points while he was in Ravenloft.

Now that they're in Athas, a place where there are no deities, the divine spell casters use they're magic like the other 'divine' casters of the world. They get their power from the elements themselves. I had to decide what element went with what deity. The archmage worships Correlon Larethian. I put his element as water. The cleric worships Helm. I put his element as earth. They have to 'pray' every night to their respective element to regain their power points. It's been pretty amusing so far having these guys come up with ways to commune with their respective element. They can otherwise cast their normal compliment of spells. They just channel their power from the elements of the world.

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

unixx
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  08:46:59  Show Profile  Visit unixx's Homepage Send unixx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

Funny you guys should mention that.

In Ravenloft, all contact with your respective deity is cut off. Period. That didn't go well with the channeling(divine) spell casters. They could never figure out why they couldn't contact their god and regain their power points. This was more of an inconvenience for the Archmage, who could cast in all three realms of magic, but to the cleric it was crippling. He never regained any power points while he was in Ravenloft.

Now that they're in Athas, a place where there are no deities, the divine spell casters use they're magic like the other 'divine' casters of the world. They get their power from the elements themselves. I had to decide what element went with what deity. The archmage worships Correlon Larethian. I put his element as water. The cleric worships Helm. I put his element as earth. They have to 'pray' every night to their respective element to regain their power points. It's been pretty amusing so far having these guys come up with ways to commune with their respective element. They can otherwise cast their normal compliment of spells. They just channel their power from the elements of the world.

as far as i was aware from 2e you could still contact your deity and regain spells, but only in certain locations. now i don't know if they changed that in third or if was ever converted. Because i do know that ravenloft was run by 13 different rulers. each one in control of a different area respectively and they where more of less the god of the land they choose weather or not you can leave, and how easy it is to contact your deity. some of which couldn't be reached easily at all(these being lawful stupid or LG for all those that aren't familar with the term) and had to be prayed to for at least 1/2 of the waking period just to get spells back. not to mention that the "king of that country" for lack of a better word/phrase thingy always knew where you were and basically your align. of which normally those of Lg couldn't leave at all*mumbles......stupid mist....* anyway correct me if i'm wrong, as i said not too familar with that world. but i do think i like it this way slightly better regardless.

Unixx.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  09:01:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
unixx said -
quote:
*snip* not to mention that the "king of that country" for lack of a better word/phrase thingy *snip*
I believe you mean 'Darklord'.

And as for changes to Ravenloft from 2e to 3e, other than stats and rules, for the Darklords and domains, and pretty much everything else in Ravenloft, only the history and background has remained pretty-much unchanged.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2003 :  06:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unixx

as far as i was aware from 2e you could still contact your deity and regain spells, but only in certain locations. now i don't know if they changed that in third or if was ever converted. Because i do know that ravenloft was run by 13 different rulers. each one in control of a different area respectively and they where more of less the god of the land they choose weather or not you can leave, and how easy it is to contact your deity. some of which couldn't be reached easily at all(these being lawful stupid or LG for all those that aren't familar with the term) and had to be prayed to for at least 1/2 of the waking period just to get spells back. not to mention that the "king of that country" for lack of a better word/phrase thingy always knew where you were and basically your align. of which normally those of Lg couldn't leave at all*mumbles......stupid mist....* anyway correct me if i'm wrong, as i said not too familar with that world. but i do think i like it this way slightly better regardless.

Since Ravenloft is a demiplane of evil, I judged that ANY good deities could not contact their worshipers there. Any evil deity could. However, since none of the PC's worshipped an evil deity, that didn't really help them much.
As far as ways out of Ravenloft, the Lords of the realms could only control the mists. There were several other ways out of the demiplane (not the least of which was killing the lord), the mists were only one of them, albeit the most obvious one.

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000