Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Favorite Race
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  15:38:16  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

Lord of the Rings meets Lord of the Flies.

Ooh. Now there is an image to run with.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  05:22:51  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, dwarves!
Why, because if you don't like it you can meet the business end of this hammer! Any questions?

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  05:42:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Um, dwarves!
Why, because if you don't like it you can meet the business end of this hammer! Any questions?

Ooh, ooh, I have a question! Which end of a hammer is the business end?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  10:54:32  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Um, dwarves!

No need for the hammer. The children of Moradin are my favorites.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  12:49:23  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

I cannot fathom why the accursed-traitor-not-elves (Commonly, Drow) have such a following. I can only hope that Corellon knew something about them that I don't when he permitted them exile to the Underdark instead of obliteration.

Drow are pretty huge now. And I’ve heard (but have never been able to confirm) that RAS doesn’t like the fact that Drow are so common and popular.

As far as Corellon knowing something about them: he did. His daughter still has close ties to the Seldarine. As more and more drow come to the surface, more and more are coming back to the light. It probably would have been easier for the Seldarine to just give all the drow kidney failure or something, and just let them drop dead. But redemption, especially in the face of Lolth, is far better. \

Also, TSR/WoTC keeps making books about them :p There are more books about drow then there are about surface elves. And Halfling? Gnome? Nah. Not sexy. :p

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  17:47:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

Drow are pretty huge now. And I’ve heard (but have never been able to confirm) that RAS doesn’t like the fact that Drow are so common and popular.

I would imagine not. Having them be so popular and always in the limelight takes away alot of the mystery of the race. Also, since people are now determined to have good-aligned drow as characters (I've even created one as an NPC, but his alignment change was involuntary), it takes away the novelty of Drizzt, Liriel, and any other good drow that have been written about.

quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

Also, TSR/WoTC keeps making books about them :p There are more books about drow then there are about surface elves. And Halfling? Gnome? Nah. Not sexy. :p

That's true. Halflings and gnomes are often ignored; the gnomes are the "Forgotten Folk" in more ways than one!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  18:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha! I see half-orcs are in the running now! My vote is placed. Come on, who doesn't love a big dumb meat shield?

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  14:14:59  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Meat-shield" is a term I first heard from a new player in my campaign last fall, and has replaced "tank" in my vocabulary.

I'll admit, in the right game context the half-orc can be fun...

The same goes for any race, of course. I think that gnomes are sadly overlooked and underdeveloped.

As for which end of a hammer is the business end, I will merely observe that a snappy comeback that is apt to be funny (when not offensive) in many situations works well here: "Bend over - I'll show you!"

My dwarves also tend to have a pencheant for telling people to "Kiss my axe!".
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  12:32:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Aha! I see half-orcs are in the running now! My vote is placed. Come on, who doesn't love a big dumb meat shield?

Best half-orc I ever saw was a female NPC for the Freeport Campaign System. The designers did a good job of giving her a vivid personality and colorful history. In other words, she was more than a prestige class and numbers.
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  23:46:56  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The dwarven subrace Urdunnir is awesome! I mean, come on, they can walk through stone! At will! Meaning, some evil high level wizard pops up a wall of stone to keep out an army, just call in one of these guys! They get to Stone Shape once a day, so they can just shape a hole in that wall. Even if they've used up that ability, give them a magical sword, and they'll just walk through and that'll be wizard chop suey!

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  22:22:51  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was waiting for someone asks this!
I like half-elves. They have good abilities of both race(ok, spotting& nature typic senses and so on missing) they are good in magic like elves(but not so good perhaps), they are quite tall & strong. And I just like them
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  01:22:16  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was new to D&D, back when dinosaurs walked the Earth, half-elf was my favorite. I would go for a half-elf fighter/magic-user (this was AD&D, pre-Wizard) every time!

I liked the combination because I am fairly indecisive. So, elf? Human? Why pick? Same with the classes. I wanted magic, but also wanted to wear armor, and use a sword.

So - what class to I favor now? Bard!

Edited by - Vangelor on 08 Jul 2005 01:23:54
Go to Top of Page

magnakanus
Acolyte

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  18:06:47  Show Profile  Visit magnakanus's Homepage Send magnakanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like humans most because they don't have all of those favored class limits, etc. They are the most versitile class available.

All good things come to those who wait...
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HUMANS = EXTRA SKILL + EXTRA FEAT = CHOICE = FUN

Other races are fun too though. I musn't forget my pipe smoking, cheese eating, tobacco chewing, dual-kukri wielding (all at the same time) halfling, Semajis Bligith.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Bjorn the Studious
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  23:11:30  Show Profile  Visit Bjorn the Studious's Homepage Send Bjorn the Studious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Dwarves, specifically Shield Dwarves.

They built many cool settlements that are now Uber dungeons(The Wailing Dwarf, Gauntylgrym, Tethyamar)
They are tough as nails.
They have lots of history.(Delzoun, Shanatar, Ammarindar)
Battleragers.

Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  15:37:22  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no doubt elves. They are widely accepted and allow a broad variety of RPG.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  11:57:45  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Halflings, mainly because I don't like to play High Power Characters, but personalities, who develop. As a Halfling, you can do a lot, but fightings. This is, what makes a character really funny.

Everybody can play High Power Characters who kills easily, but to have to talk you way out of fights requires role playing skills. (And if they can't fight their way out of fights Halflings are still excellent in hiding....)

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  10:15:27  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humans ...

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  21:31:34  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humans

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  12:09:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

Humans.

This isn't just because they have the most notable and influential people in the world.

Indeed. Besides, what else is there that humans haven't yet accomplished? Become a god? Hah! Tell that to Karsus.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  17:25:14  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me, 'human' is made up of many different races as I am more interested in background, history, culture, language, traits etc These things are more important to me than bonus feats, dark vision, spell like abilites or extra skill point l00t.
Races of Faerun is one of my favourite books.
Therefore, I submit Calishites and Tethyrians.

Edited by - chamber101 on 22 Apr 2011 17:28:24
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  19:45:42  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite FR book: is "Evermeet: Island of the Elves" after re-reading it for the 3rd time, it was easy to answer that poll.

"For The People!"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  03:43:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Even Eltargrim Irithyl admitted that humans crafted spells that rivaled or surpassed the elves'.

Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  10:40:30  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

D'oh! I can't vote in this poll since my fovorite race is not listed. Where are the Half-orcs?!?!? Half-orcs are big, dumb, strong, dirty, uncouth, and all around wonderful, I love 'em. Darkvision, +2 Strength, and orcblood (orc double axe as martial rather than exotic is nice) only offset by a measly -2 CHA, and -2 INT? Bah, what use is charisma when you can do your talking with steel? As for intelligence, just point me in the right direction and tell me who to kill!

I also chose Half-Orcs, yet for completely different reasons. >.>

I adore the cultural mores of this oft-discredited race. the Half-Orcs are one of the most intersting races to tell a story about, to roleplay, and to develop as a character. the possibilities are endless, and the plot hooks even more so. and yet, I also cannot help but stick to common tropes and cliches! XD

the Orphaned bastard, living in a human world with human education, however still distrusted and treated with prejudice forhis heritage? many a good character can come of that, from a Monk, to a Bard, to Fighter, to a Rogue, to a Cleric.

the half-breed ghetto street rat revolutionary, possibly a refugee? wonderful for playing a ogue, Barbarian, Fighter, Cleric, Bard, Sorcerer, Ranger, or Druid.

the culturally misunderstood "savage" Spiritualist? another Ranger, Druid, Cleric, Barbarian, or Monk.

don't forget the stoic, secretly bleeding-hearted warrior! a Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger, Monk, Sorcerer, Druid, or Cleric.

aye, most of the classes are reused over and over, and some of them won't make sense to most of you. you have to see me in action to realy understand. =w=

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  10:47:16  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Best half-orc I ever saw was a female NPC for the Freeport Campaign System. The designers did a good job of giving her a vivid personality and colorful history. In other words, she was more than a prestige class and numbers.

AYE! there we go! :D I'm not the only onewho has an interest in Female Half-Orcs!

and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  03:23:49  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Even Eltargrim Irithyl admitted that humans crafted spells that rivaled or surpassed the elves'.

-Collectively, the work of Elvendom trumps that of Humanity, as a whole, for sure. Having a (for the most part) magic-rich culture dating back almost 30,000 years, that normally is big on the shared nature of community and history would do that, though- as opposed to the triumphs of Human cultures, many of which were certainly great (Netheril, for example), but achieved in semi-isolation and have become semi-forgotten over time.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  04:55:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

-Collectively, the work of Elvendom trumps that of Humanity, as a whole, for sure. Having a (for the most part) magic-rich culture dating back almost 30,000 years, that normally is big on the shared nature of community and history would do that, though- as opposed to the triumphs of Human cultures, many of which were certainly great (Netheril, for example), but achieved in semi-isolation and have become semi-forgotten over time.

I don't know, but most of the civilizations that had the greatest impact on Toril are human. Karsus practically changed the Weave and how people could access it. Netherese spells and artifacts, all potent that those who can wield them are usually archmages, are still being used in the present. Netheril spawned some of the greatest figures in history---Karsus, Ioulaum, Larloch, Telamont. Imaskar was an unrivaled empire during its time, creating their own source of magic and defying the very gods. The New Netheril, Shade, remains a threat to several realms not just in the Sword Coast.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  05:36:52  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know, but most of the civilizations that had the greatest impact on Toril are human. Karsus practically changed the Weave and how people could access it. Netherese spells and artifacts, all potent that those who can wield them are usually archmages, are still being used in the present. Netheril spawned some of the greatest figures in history---Karsus, Ioulaum, Larloch, Telamont. Imaskar was an unrivaled empire during its time, creating their own source of magic and defying the very gods. The New Netheril, Shade, remains a threat to several realms not just in the Sword Coast.

-The great magical empires created by Humans- Imaskar, Netheril, Narfell, Raumathar, Thay, Halruaa, and a bunch of others that I know I've forgotten- for the most part, while they've reached various unreachable pinnacles that, in some cases, even thousands of years later still have yet to be done again, most of that knowledge, expertise, and collective wisdom has faded on and been lost, to a degree. Netheril, for example, a fallen, defunct realm (you can make the case that the Shadovar kept the Netherese tradition alive, but it's certainly been modified a great deal) where Arcanists did things that most contemporary magicians can only dream of. Narfell, Raumathar, a lot of the same, ancient, defunct realms primarily represented by ruins and concepts, along with the occasional functioning spell, item, creature, whatever. Thay, Halruaa, magic-rich realms, developed in semi-isolation, where going-ons are semi-secret. With the majority of Human magocracies, there isn't a clear "linage", if you will. Magic was developed, and heights were reached in Empire A, that were then later on extrapolated upon, improved/augmented/implemented in Empire B, where the same thing then happened in Empire C, in a clear chronological stream (either contemporary or some sequential order). The pattern, more or less, are these various magocracies developing semi-independently of each other, with a limited amount of diffusion between them. The various Elven realms, because of their closer connection to magic and the general "community", as well as their longer lifespans and cultural mores, have a closer synthesis between more of them. The magicians of Occidian rejuvenated Sharlarion when Occidian was sacked by Orc hordes. The Elves of Sharlarion eventually spawned Aryvandaar. Exoduses of Elves from Aryvandaar for various socio-political reasons spawned further realms that continued on the tradition. Then, come the end of the First Elven Age of Empires, you have Aryvandaari magicians bringing the traditions to Evermeet, and later on, the various realms of the Second Elven Age of Empires. When that came to a close, you had it still evolving on Evermeet.

-There is a fluidity that exists in the Elven world that does not exist, for the most part, in the Human world, concerning this matter. The Elves, you have a long, flowing, evolving linage, going back thousands of years. With the Humans, because of the lack of overall cultural and societal harmony, it's a jarring, up-and-down development that seem to repeat with patterns of some culture rising up to great heights, toppling for whatever reason and becoming a lost culture, and then a new one replacing it in time, and doing the same thing, independently of the previous magocracy it's replacing, or with only a limited amount of osmosis from the former one to the newer one.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 24 Apr 2011 05:37:57
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  06:08:37  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 3.5?
Its humans.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  06:10:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't think a magocracy has to follow a "lineage" in order to make an "impact" on the world, on history. Telamont upholds the old Netherese tradition, but he, his sons, and his lackeys have been devising new avenues of learning and crafting magic.

The present magocracies repeat what their ancestors had done. Why wouldn't they, when it would benefit them in many ways? However, they don't stop at repetition. They seek new means to further their goals, and try as much as they could to never repeat their forbears' mistakes. Telamont surely wouldn't emulate Karsus. I don't think he's demented enough to try to steal Shar's divinity.

Another example is Halruaa. By not seeking other lands or kingdoms to conquer, which its ancestors had been happy doing in the past, it succeeded in preserving its culture.

The great empire of Imaskar was destroyed when the gods of their slaves rose up and shattered the empire. To prevent this from happening again, Empress Ususi of High Imaskar made it her first imperial decree to abolish the Imaskari tradition of slave-holding and outlawed slavery on pain of death.

The human magocracies of the present may be just a shadow of their great ancestors, but they certainly did improve.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000