Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Favorite Race
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

thomas b.
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  18:52:41  Show Profile  Visit thomas b.'s Homepage Send thomas b. a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
What is your favorite race, and why?

Choices:

Elves
Dwarves
Humans
Halflings
Half-elves
Dark elves
Gnomes
half-orcs

(Anonymous Vote)

THOMAS BENJAMIN

Edited by - thomas b. on 03 Jun 2005 17:16:55

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  03:50:15  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humans, despite me being a gnome .
In all seriousness, however, humans are best race because they get more skill points and an additional feat at 1st level. All this can be critical to making an excellent wizard! Gnomes are my second choice, their small size with the +4 to AC makes gnome wizards live longer.
(Yes, I do play wizards a lot)

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

thomas b.
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  05:11:13  Show Profile  Visit thomas b.'s Homepage Send thomas b. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have to disagree
i stronlngly stand by dark elves.their way more awsoeme than any human could every be.i like their feats like levitation.although i am completely bias to even consider a human charactor.but my next favorite has gotta be wood elves,its funny my to favorite races absoulutley hate each other.my main reason for liking them is becuase my favored class is rogue,with all of the dexterity bonuses they make the best rogues.

THOMAS BENJAMIN
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  05:46:58  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK Ill admit it here and now for the record: ELVES.

nuff said!

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  09:13:38  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humans :D
So many different humans, and a free feat, bonus.
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  17:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humans.

This isn't just because they run most of the world.
This isn't just because they have the most notable and influential people in the world.
This isn't just because I'm a racist pig of a human.
This isn't just because humans are the only race out breeding the humanoids.
This isn't just because all the really cool stuff is made for and by humans.

This is because it makes for great multi-generational gameplay.
(and the extra feat and skill points)

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  18:54:58  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves, because they are much tougher than those sissy elves and humans, and unlike elves, with the thunder blessing lots and lots of dwarves are being born, so they are not finished yet!(Has anyone got any idea why corellon hasn`t given the elves an equivalent of the thunder blessing? Is he stupid or something?)

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  19:07:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Dwarves, because they are much tougher than those sissy elves and humans, and unlike elves, with the thunder blessing lots and lots of dwarves are being born, so they are not finished yet!(Has anyone got any idea why corellon hasn`t given the elves an equivalent of the thunder blessing? Is he stupid or something?)

He acidentally gave it to the Drow when he caused the desent *wink*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  20:40:10  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like playing elves myself.Especially a elven mage/thief.Running a close secomd though would be a dwarf.I just love hackin and slashin with an axe...

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  21:35:30  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmmm... I would choose the elves as race that really like me to play, and dark elves as the most inteeresting one. Right now I am playing a Fighter/wizard in NWN (Go Sardes!!!!) and i must say i really enjoy the combos of weakening the minions with a couple of fireballs and then using some invisibility spell to joint them with my enchanted long sword and my magical scimitar.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 31 May 2005 21:45:18
Go to Top of Page

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  21:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humans are good at everything, and they are the most diverse race, many do gooders and many villains.
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  16:35:50  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas b.

What is your favorite race, and why?

Half-elves. No, they don't have more feats or skill points, no they don't get ability bonuses, but I enjoy playing characters caught between two cultures. They're chock full of interesting roleplaying opportunities.

I also favor various planetouched races, and have a special affection for tieflings.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  17:22:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really have a favorite race... I just go with what feels right for the character concept.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  02:06:10  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ewww, I can't believe humans are winning, bad enough to be one in real life

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Songrimm
Acolyte

Germany
38 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  02:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Songrimm's Homepage Send Songrimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So just you know, i hate elves. will never be caught playing one. no! not me!
but my hatred stems not only from (a)d&d but from a lot of games. it seems to me that the elves allways get some bonuses over all the other races. like they get sugar blown up their collectiv a@@es.
and who gets the short of the stick (no pun intended). the dwarves of course. so i favour the underdog. the much mistreated dwarves. all hail the dwarfen race.
p.s. i dont want to hear any short jokes.
p.s.s. now that dwarves can become sorcerers its all the better.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  02:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves. Or maybe half-elves.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  02:57:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any scribe whose been here at Candlekeep for a significant period, and listened to my ramblings from time to time, will likely already know my answer to this... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  04:34:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Any scribe whose been here at Candlekeep for a significant period, and listened to my ramblings from time to time, will likely already know my answer to this... .

Indeed. Your favorite race is the one that's not on the list: Giant Space Hamsters.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  05:29:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Indeed. Your favorite race is the one that's not on the list: Giant Space Hamsters.

I should have expected that .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  08:56:56  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I have heard they are quite good with Bar-B-Que sauce.
Have any of them actually been redone in 3E officially?

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  11:22:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

quote:

I have heard they are quite good with Bar-B-Que sauce.
Have any of them actually been redone in 3E officially?

Officially, most Spelljammer stuff has not been updated to 3E. But perhaps the upcoming Hackjammer supplement from Hackmaster will take care of that...

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  15:32:58  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D'oh! I can't vote in this poll since my fovorite race is not listed. Where are the Half-orcs?!?!? Half-orcs are big, dumb, strong, dirty, uncouth, and all around wonderful, I love 'em. Darkvision, +2 Strength, and orcblood (orc double axe as martial rather than exotic is nice) only offset by a measly -2 CHA, and -2 INT? Bah, what use is charisma when you can do your talking with steel? As for intelligence, just point me in the right direction and tell me who to kill!

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2005 :  03:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote went to half-elf. They have the best of both worlds, ability to seek in the dark, longer life span, class choice is not limited etc.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  18:12:48  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I prefer elves. No reason why. Just like them the best. Of course I mainly RP moon elves, sometimes drow.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  20:28:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the past, it would have been half-elves, but now the Tel'Quessir race is my fave.

And who are all the scribes voting for the humans? Egads, what a race.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  21:19:33  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote would have to go for elves, but two specific races: The Drow (I've been a Spider-Kisser since I picked up my 1E Fiend Folio). and the newfound Fey'ri.

I just love the whole concept of Gold Elves being so full of themselves as to consort with demons and breed some evil-whoop-butt race that wants to take over the whole Sword Coast North... now that's vision!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  22:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

In the past, it would have been half-elves, but now the Tel'Quessir race is my fave.

And who are all the scribes voting for the humans? Egads, what a race.

Exactly the response we humans have come to expect of the older (and tired) races of Faerun. Your people learn too slowly, move too slowly, and are too mired in this thing you call 'tradition' to have any real fun. Although there are certain SyTelQuessir who really know how to have a good time.
Plus we humans love smilies. Look at all the smilies!
Every really cool race loves smilies!

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Grunker
Acolyte

Denmark
37 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  12:23:21  Show Profile Send Grunker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote for humans, because of roleplaying reasons. Humans have a way of making all the other races moe interesting. If par example you have a party of 6, 4 humans, 1 elf and one gnome, the elf and gnome are suddenly more mystirious than else. If a party consists of 1 dark elf, one elf, one gnome, one human, one half-orc and one halfling, all the races feel special.

"And on the pedestal these words appear: My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works ye Mighty, and despair!" - Percy Shelley
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  12:51:09  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back before 3rd edition was out, and previous to the skills and powers books, we had houseruled away the level limits for demi humans (like any sane group would, IMO). This meant if you played a demi human, you got bonuses and perks, while playing a human got you nothing. And there was still a lot (75% roughly; I had actually sat down with the group and went over all the characters) of humans being played.

The reason was pretty simple; the vast majority of FR is populated by human cites. Everywhere you go, there are some humans. If you werent human, you were always treated a little differently.

Now, in 3ed, I see almost the same percentage of humans. Except now, instead of hearing Human fits better with my concept I hear Bonus feat! -_-

I find it very dull, and I miss the bonus-less human. Also, I voted for elves.

quote:
Originally posted by Songrimm

So just you know, i hate elves. will never be caught playing one. no! not me!
but my hatred stems not only from (a)d&d but from a lot of games. it seems to me that the elves allways get some bonuses over all the other races. like they get sugar blown up their collectiv a@@es.
and who gets the short of the stick (no pun intended). the dwarves of course. so i favour the underdog. the much mistreated dwarves. all hail the dwarfen race.
p.s. i dont want to hear any short jokes.
p.s.s. now that dwarves can become sorcerers its all the better.

All things added up, Dwarves are by far the superior race in 3ed. Id even go so far as to say that elves are in the lower teir this time, with half elves being the bottom of the barrel and Half orcs vying with elves for 2nd to worst.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Grunker
Acolyte

Denmark
37 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  18:03:38  Show Profile Send Grunker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"All things added up, Dwarves are by far the superior race in 3ed. Id even go so far as to say that elves are in the lower teir this time, with half elves being the bottom of the barrel and Half orcs vying with elves for 2nd to worst."

Agreed. But also in AD&D 3rd Ed. A .1 to Constitution was far more worse than the +1 to dexterity was good.

"And on the pedestal these words appear: My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works ye Mighty, and despair!" - Percy Shelley
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  15:10:56  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot fathom why the accursed-traitor-not-elves (Commonly, Drow) have such a following. I can only hope that Corellon knew something about them that I don't when he permitted them exile to the Underdark instead of obliteration.

For myself, elves are the thing. Elves are the fantasy race par excellence. For added contrast, my specific preference is for wild elves - whether noble savages or feral mushroom-eating xenophobes. Sort of Lord of the Rings meets Lord of the Flies.

Edited by - Vangelor on 27 Jun 2005 15:12:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000